Blackberry makes phones keeping business people in mind, and not the average consumers with average needs like - versatile ecosystem of fancy utility apps and games.

Average consumers don't even care about Blackberry as they have what they need, and those business people have already moved to iOS and Android as they are going strong and popular with app support.
    - BBM is already on iOS and Android
    - iOS and Android have a far better/matured ecosystem
    - iOS and Android have native cloud based services - with full support on office documents
    - Blackberry phones depreciate much quicker than their competition (Z10, Q5 price cut)

So, except the so called 'Security'- which isn't even available until you have BES
    why should anybody go for a Blackberry when they have Android and iOS as an alternative?
    gopeshpkpnr likes this.
    08-20-14 06:45 AM
    Blackberry makes phones keeping business people in mind, and not the average consumers with average needs like - versatile ecosystem of fancy utility apps and games.

Average consumers don't even care about Blackberry as they have what they need, and those business people have already moved to iOS and Android as they are going strong and popular with app support.
    - iOS and Android have native cloud based services - with full support on office documents
    - Blackberry phones depreciate much quicker than their competition (Z10, Q5 price cut)

So, except the so called 'Security'- which isn't even available until you have BES
    why should anybody go for a Blackberry when they have Android and iOS as an alternative?
    To your opening question: no and that's ok.
    diegonei likes this.
    08-20-14 06:54 AM
    I'm not going to criticize you for having an opinion like others who can't take BlackBerry criticism.

However, was there a need for a thread on a topic that has now been discussed to death?

With Great Swiping Comes Great Responsibility - CB10 on Z10, Bell, ON, Canada
    Minhaaj Rehman likes this.
    08-20-14 07:04 AM
    This has the potential to get out of hand quickly. But it also has the potential for some good discussion. Let's stick to the points raised by the OP without attacking people and see if we can keep this open for awhile.

My opinion on the matter, choices are good. Yes, most smartphone users are using iOS or one of the plethora of variants of Android -- but not all. There's any number of reasons why users will want an alternative to those two. And don't forget Windows Phone. I know if all I had to choose from was iPhone or Android, I'd be pretty despondent.
    08-20-14 07:57 AM
    Well most of its products will end up in the hands of average consumers so it really should be.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    08-20-14 08:00 AM
    The answer will probably be different from person to person, but I have tried all three (iOS, Android, and BB), and the BB is the most enjoyable for me. The reasons are: the Keyboard, the form factor, the Hub, and the OS seems more suited to my needs.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    08-20-14 08:06 AM
    There's no single special reason. There are some who like physical keyboards, so that's one reason. There are some who like BB10, and that's another reason. Apart from those two reasons, there's not much else. Since those reasons probably don't apply to the "average consumer" the answer is clearly no, BlackBerry isn't "for" them.
    shaleem likes this.
    08-20-14 08:09 AM
    Why should anybody go for a Blackberry when they have Android and iOS as an alternative?
    I for once use one because I like the ergonomy of the OS. The browser is excellent, all the apps I need are available - so no frustrations here.

I guess there are others ("non-average" consumers) in the same position as me. It would be great if they'll catch a good chunk of those.
    acovey and Killjoyhere like this.
    08-20-14 08:13 AM
    I think the answer to this question is self evident.

The average consumer wants to be entertained and distracted. BlackBerry handsets do not offer as many options for entertainment and distraction as iOS and Android.

BlackBerry devices do many things that no other platform can do, and many things better than other platforms. But these things are not enough to lure people away from their entertainment/distraction machines.

I want my smartphone to be the ultimate communication and productivity tool. So I choose BlackBerry. Obviously, I am not the average consumer.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 via the CB Forums app
    08-20-14 08:14 AM
    No, but I would hate that the choice was limited. As much as I love my Z10 if BlackBerry don't produce another phone that I like or want I would most likely change to either a Windows phone or an Android at some point in the future when my 2 years is up with my Z10 contract. Even though I am just getting an Ipad Air, I wouldn't buy an IPhone because as good as it might be ad a phone I just don't like them.

Hopefully, one day BlackBerry will be back in a position to woo the average consumer once more. After all, it was the great Torch 9800 that wooed me to them in the first place. Sadly, I think it is still going to be touch and go if BlackBerry ever do get back to that point again to interest the average consumer again, rather than just stay in the very niche corporate market place.

Z10.......er......BlackDroid in action!
    08-20-14 08:22 AM
    The average consumer is a product of society. Whatever society deems to be popular is what the average consumer goes for.

BlackBerry targets a unique group of individuals that only ever have business in their mind at all times. Look at crackberry users for example. We are on a cb forum all day every day reading up on BlackBerry and all things related such as carriers, etc.

If you ask me, the average consumer like a high school kid, or some college girl isn't going to understand or appreciate what goes on inside BlackBerry. For them, it's all about image and keeping up with what people perceive as "cool" or "good technology." Perception or a value proposition is key for those average users with an average mind. At this point, apple has people by the balls, and they are willing do anything for the next "cool" thing. If you ask me, the average consumer doesn't even deserve to use a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 08:26 AM

Pros: Physical keyboard, better email, universal HUB, and better battery life overall (this last one is debatable).

Cons: everything else - carrier support, service, apps ecosystem, OS upgrades, accessories, resale value, aesthetics, etc...

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 09:01 AM
    The average consumer is a product of society. Whatever society deems to be popular is what the average consumer goes for.

BlackBerry targets a unique group of individuals that only ever have business in their mind at all times. Look at crackberry users for example. We are on a cb forum all day every day reading up on BlackBerry and all things related such as carriers, etc.

If you ask me, the average consumer like a high school kid, or some college girl isn't going to understand or appreciate what goes on inside BlackBerry. For them, it's all about image and keeping up with what people perceive as "cool" or "good technology." Perception or a value proposition is key for those average users with an average mind. At this point, apple has people by the balls, and they are willing do anything for the next "cool" thing. If you ask me, the average consumer doesn't even deserve to use a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    I disagree. The average consumer is now the corporate attorney, local doctor, and company CEO. I see big time professionals with iphones and androids ALL the time and everywhere. Android and Apple are suitable for people way beyond the average consumer. This is why the handset division is in deep deep trouble for BlackBerry. I don't see them making new flagship phones either in the coming 2 years. Passport will be it. And the classic will be their last mass production handset for enterprise. T-mobile doesn't even carry BlackBerry anymore? Sprint no longer sells in stores? And verizon now has only BlackBerry on display in the back next to the budget flip phone: my two year old BlackBerry Q10 with a double typing keyboard. It's over. It's sad. Wait till iphone 6 is released. The hype will be huge.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 09:05 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ile-os-953034/ always knew I'd get the chance to repost. Unfortunately this is something that we already know. And the rest of the world don't. The positive side to this is that next time someone asks why I choose BlackBerry I can just point to this..

Since BB10 is the best overall OS of cause it is.
    bungaboy and theRock1975 like this.
    08-20-14 09:08 AM
    The average consumer wants to be entertained and distracted. BlackBerry handsets do not offer as many options for entertainment and distraction as iOS and Android.
    Regrettably, BlackBerry handsets also don't offer as many productivity options as do iOS and Android. To take one glaring example, Microsoft Office Mobile doesn't (yet) work on BB10, and nobody thinks DocsToGo is a comparable substitute.

We can hope things will improve, but at the moment it's simply false to suppose that what differentiates BlackBerry from other platforms is having more productivity options and less entertainment options. The truth is, it has less of both. For many of us, what it has is good enough. It remains to be seen whether that's good enough for either the average consumer or the average working professional.
    08-20-14 09:08 AM
    No. Hence, the term "Prosumer".

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 09:12 AM
    Regrettably, BlackBerry handsets also don't offer as many productivity options as do iOS and Android. To take one glaring example, Microsoft Office Mobile doesn't (yet) work on BB10, and nobody thinks DocsToGo is a comparable substitute.

We can hope things will improve, but at the moment it's simply false to suppose that what differentiates BlackBerry from other platforms is having more productivity options and less entertainment options. The truth is, it has less of both. For many of us, what it has is good enough. It remains to be seen whether that's good enough for either the average consumer or the average working professional.
    I didn't even think about that angle. Even workplace apps are lacking? Ouch.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 09:25 AM
    As a consumer you may prioritize BlackBerry simply because of not being Apple or Google. Call it security, ethics or politics, but some people simply can't stand the business models of those two - for different reasons obviously.
    baarn and medic22003 like this.
    08-20-14 09:27 AM
    Pros: Physical keyboard, better email, universal HUB, and better battery life overall (this last one is debatable).

Cons: everything else - carrier support, service, apps ecosystem, OS upgrades, accessories, resale value, aesthetics, etc...

Posted via CB10
    carbon fiber back is the nicest looking thing ive seen on a phone, most phones are all just a massive piece of plastic and they all look the same
    accessories? what do you miss? cases with funny images on the back? cause other than that blackberry accessories are all superior. no other phone company produces stuff like the music gateway, the charger case, etc.
    08-20-14 09:27 AM
    John Chen has stated that BB focus is enterprise currently in North America.... with the Z5 launching overseas in mass... one can hardly put forth that BB is enterprise only in focus... problem we have here in North America is we suffer from "we are the center of the universe" mentality....... there are other markets in the world... as smartphones and apps are a personal choice we tend to think because it does not have what we want ,., it does not have what everyone wants... all acedemic anyways... within 5 years odds are the whole landscape of communication will have changed.,.. If Apple and Sammy do not make th same mistajke BB made and not change with market then they wll not be here anyways.....
    acovey likes this.
    08-20-14 09:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    Lol u do realize that that exact mentality that u say is what brings in IOS and Android users is exactly what made a large portion of people try BlackBerry for their first time right?

I have no issue with what u said but hope u would say the same thing if BlackBerry ever got back to that same posit then

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 09:39 AM

Posted via CB10
    OS upgrades? Really? How many OS upgrades iOS and Android have had in last two years?
    How many OS upgrades BB OS 10 have had in those same two years?
    acovey likes this.
    08-20-14 09:44 AM
    Lol u do realize that that exact mentality that u say is what brings in IOS and Android users is exactly what made a large portion of people try BlackBerry for their first time right?

I have no issue with what u said but hope u would say the same thing if BlackBerry ever got back to that same posit then
    Posted via CB10
    Not sure about it. I think people started using BB because it was convenient to have access to emails
    in your phone, what other choices fort that, people have at that time? Yeah, maybe some people though was
    "cool" to have access to email messages, but I doubt that business people using BB did it because it
    was "cool" but rather because it was useful.
    08-20-14 09:48 AM
    - quality build
    - the addictive HUB and gestures
    - the overall performance (better a Z10 than a cheap android)
    - no need to submit personal data to Apple or Google

And as for the point that BBs depreciate faster, you are wrong. All the iterarions of Galaxy derivatives depreciate even faster (coz they are real khrap).
    08-20-14 10:39 AM

I disagree. You cited the lack of a single app to support your assertion, but you ignored the things BB devices can do that the rest cannot. You have to take the entire experience into account.

Look what BB10 phones can do out of the box. DocsToGo is indeed a good alternative to Microsoft Office Mobile for most people, and it ships with the phone, whereas you have to purchase Office. And what other devices out there have the BB10 Hub functionality that integrates email, social media, IM, text messages, app notifications, and more into a single feed? A robust, built-in file manager integrated with cloud services (OneDrive, DropBox, etc.)? The ability to easily work with email attachments natively? True multi-tasking in the form of Active Frames? Security built in from the ground up?

Productivity is so much more than apps.
    acovey, Jrox74 and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    08-20-14 10:39 AM
249 123 ...