View Poll Results: Would you purchase a BlackBerry laptop running a modified BB10/QNX OS?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

74 49.01%
  • No

47 31.13%
  • Depends on how well the phone functions

10 6.62%
  • Unsure

20 13.25%
    I was thinking about this and have been writing it in other forums, but I thought I would start up a thread about BlackBerry branching off into Laptops.

I understand most people will instantly brush this off as nonsense as Apple and Windows rule the PC space, but I truly believe if any company is to make a run at making it, it would be RIM and BlackBerry.

BlackBerry runs off of the QNX system, which is already an unix OS. It offers a realtime operating system, and would provide a very powerful and secure system for users.

Now BlackBerry has a unique entry point into the Laptop/PC market that Windows and Apple did not have. They began as computer OS' and have created Mobile Devices after and now are currently in the process of modifying the computers to connect the mobile device and work together and communicate from one to another.

RIM has the unique position of starting with their Mobile clients, and with those users they have people who are dedicated to the phones due to security, reliability, functionality, etc. This unique following can transfer over into a Laptop using QNX system.

The reason they are unique and in a great position to release a Laptop is that they can create the laptop experience and UI around their core mobile functionalities and security. So they have the bridge ability for the phone to playbook, and soon will be releasing cloud technology. RIM can create something that connects to a users BBID and combines all of the devices. So it isn't just that people are going online to a cloud service, or like Apple connecting their devices to the cloud and the Calendar, email, etc. RIM can create a "Laptop Experience" with it not technically being a Laptop but a new class of mobile computing. It will be another device in the BB10/QNX OS linking all of the persons information into the BBID and having their "Laptop", Tablet, and Phone all running the same system. The Laptop OS will be modified and enhanced to take advantage of the powerful processor and upgraded specs and more screen real-estate.

So I am not saying its similar to iCloud, I am saying that they do USE a cloud solution, but the Laptop itself would be another device. A BlackBerry QNX Laptop would be 100% connected to all other devices. If I open up Docs to Go on my PlayBook and create a document, without actually saving and having it send to the cloud, since they are all running on QNX and connecting to the same BBID and cloud service, the information is always being sent to the cloud, and you could leave your PlayBook at home and take your SmartPhone to the office with you and on the commute to the office you can continue working on the document. Again without having to save, it is constantly and automatically sending the information to your BBID, which you then arrive at the office and your BlackBerry Laptop which is connected only to your BBID will instantly have the document waiting when you get to it. Also to create a great sense of unity and simplicity, the system will communicate to one another, and if you leave the documents to go open on the laptop, and pick up ur playbook and unlock your playbook, the laptop will recognize that you have opened it on another device and close it on the laptop even if the laptop is shut. This allows you to just drop and go, and pick up and start without worrying about closing or saving files.

This is just my take on what BlackBerry could possibly do within a Laptop world, if they enter it. QNX is a powerful system and there are many possibilities with it.

A QNX laptop would differ greatly from a PlayBook with a keyboard case!

The PlayBook will be using BB10...BB10 is the mobile OS which will be used...

QNX is its own OS in itself, check out the website...they have been providing OS before BB10

A laptop wouldn't be running BB10 OS...rather a QNX OS...they would be able to connect the two to allow for cloud storage, allowing the laptop to connect to the PlayBook and Phone...

Example, On your QNX laptop you log in with you BBID, which instantly uploads all Email, Calendar, Contacts, Applications will be transfered from all downloaded apps/games from phone and playbook, from your PlayBook and Phone directly to the Laptop...It will be a different UI so it wouldnt look like BB10, but would obviously take features and outlines but modified to take advantage of a laptop experience and power provided. So since both systems are running on QNX kernels, they will be able to make a very connected experience between all devices...Apple is doing this somewhat, but RIM can make it much more fluid and more business-related...Where Mac OSX was around before the iPhone and iPad, they have been modifying and adding cloud features to connect the two. RIM and BB10 with QNX can create the cloud system initially between phones and tablets, and then introduce a laptop to create the base factor of the entire experience. In a sense it will not be a "Laptop" in the traditional sense where its a system and you can add features and what not...it would be one more "Device" within their newly announced "Mobile Platform" rather than just a mobile OS...

There definitely is a future in this for RIM depending on the sales of BB10 Phones and Tablets...If they sell well enough then there absolutely will be a market for QNX BlackBerry branded Laptops. They will have the security that people love about BlackBerry and will provide the ability to use full keyboards and mouses with the Laptop rather than the somewhat cramped Mini Keyboard Case...

Clearly this is something I have thought about and I truly do believe there is a MAJOR future in this for RIM and the possibilities are ENDLESS! They have QNX in cars, and this can just be another addition to the RIM/QNX family...Where all will be connected to your BBID, and connect with complete fluidity and security not offered on other systems.

To add to this, BB10 has an extremely powerful browser experience with amazing HTML5 rendering...which is the base of computer internet browsing, HTML5...so if RIM creates the buzz and following around their new BB10 OS phones and tablets, then 5 years down the road I would not be shocked at all to see them releasing or announcing their first netbook/laptop which will allow "People who are in business" and all about getting things done, the greatest connectivity wherever they go in their life.
    05-10-12 11:48 PM
    "UNIX" should be "POSIX"...

BBID will already be a "cloud solution"...

They would use the BB10 OS either way because it is a full migration after a few years from now...

Example, On your QNX laptop you log in with you BBID, which instantly uploads all Email, Calendar, Contacts, Applications will be transfered from all downloaded apps/games from phone and playbook, from your PlayBook and Phone directly to the Laptop...
    Cloud solution example...

They have QNX in cars
    This is their future "wedge" imo...

To add to this, BB10 has an extremely powerful browser experience with amazing HTML5 rendering...which is the base of computer internet browsing, HTML5...
    Not yet by the numbers... But HTML5 apps will be the medium in the future... RIM will have a head start on that issue...

"People who are in business"
    If you think about it, people who are really in business already use BB just like myself... The BYOD companies are exposing themselves to risk beyond imagination...

You can use QNX as your frontline OS on your pc if you wish to... Takes some learning but I am sure that from your intuition you can manage to make that work bro =)
    05-11-12 12:00 AM
    BB10 on a laptop would definitely work.

Just like Android would.

But only thing is, so far on Playbook OS, you can't download an app from a 3rd party source and install it straight onto the system. It HAS to be app world.

If anything hinders it, I'd say that would be it.

But I'd love to have a BB10 OS laptop once it matures a bit.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    05-11-12 12:38 AM
    Would love to see this.. a Netbook perhaps.. probably a processor base utilizing the PB hardware in harmony.. Dock the PB at your personal workstation. No sync, no cloud, none of that BS.
    05-11-12 01:09 AM
    I wouldn't be interested. I already run Linux. If anything, I'd want a Linux tablet.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    05-11-12 01:19 AM
    not a bad idea but to fully join the laptop market would be a massive jump for RIM.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using CrackBerry forums application
    05-11-12 01:47 AM
    Let them first rebuild again then we can talk. But i wouldn't mind. But first gogo RIM #1 lol.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    05-11-12 05:49 AM
    Not sure about this one. If you're in business and were using a laptop wouldn't you just use a windows one? If you're going to use a laptop why have a tablet unless you're talking about the laptop replacing your desktop.
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    05-11-12 06:48 AM
    Unless it had full PC emulation, I wouldn't be interested in a QNX laptop. dy have enough issues with the lack of compatibility with the Mac that requires me to keep a 'spare' PC laptop handy; that would be monumentally worse with a QNX laptop. I need my laptop to do everything a computer does, which coincidentally is why I don't need my phone to do all that. I'm pretty sure a QNX lappie wouldn't cut it for me.
    05-11-12 07:15 AM
    I don't have a laptop computer and I don't want a laptop computer

I like the concept of a 'playbook' range of products (i.e mini-playbook phone, current 7", and future larger playbook) working together to adapt to any situation

E.g. If I need a 'laptop' I could use the 7" as the keyboard, the larger playbook as the screen, and the phone as the mouse
    05-11-12 07:28 AM
    Blackberry Ultrabook, now that's an idea I would be all over it.
    05-11-12 07:37 AM
    Please please please RIM: No.

It's not what RIM do, and as such it would be awful. Case in point=Windows Mobile (up to now, awful).

Further cases in point: Napoleon, fighting battles on two fronts. Kaiser Wilhelm I in WWI, Hitler in WWII. These examples didn't work.

For now, a good guide would be concentrate on what you do do, and do it well. Please, not a laptop.

Barljo
    addicted44 likes this.
    05-11-12 07:40 AM
    I think some of you think than QNX is pixie dust. You sprinkle it on a device, and suddenly QNX is running on it, with full integration with all other RIM devices, which magically maintains itself.

There are a ton of OS'es that run on Laptops. It requires a ton of effort to maintain, and update these devices. Getting QNX running on a laptop is not hard at all (in fact, I'd bet RIM already has such devices, if nothing, for development purposes). However, creating an interface which suits a laptop style device, building the 3rd party ecosystem around this device, updating it on a regular basis, etc. requires a ton of effort.

I mean, think about it. It will take RIM over half a year to deliver a QNX based phone with a Keyboard, after they have already started selling a touchscreen phone in the market. It will take far more time to deliver a decent laptop solution, which users would pick over existing Mac, Windows, and Linux based devices.

I think it might make sense in the long run (2-3 years from now), but if RIM is wasting a single engineering resource on this while BB10 phones are not out yet, I would immediately start shorting their stock, even at its depressed value.
    cgk likes this.
    05-11-12 07:52 AM
    Could not be any less interested. People are already complaining about the current app state now, can you imagine if they introduced a laptop with a new OS. If you want to buy an older laptop and install qnx, then have at it, but you focus on too many things and you end up ruining them all. I am ok with the direction RIM seems to be taking with their approach to BB10 and would rather see them focus on that than wade into the laptop wars. smh

I know for some, QNX is some grand panacea that can cure all of RIM's troubles, but it's not. 5 years is a long time in the tech industry, and after BlackBerry releases their new devices, and they think they can make a go at it. Great, but I don't see them doing this.
    05-11-12 08:34 AM
    No! I think that tablets can replace laptops in most situations. What RIM could do instead is a blackberry "home base". Basically the peripherals that turn your phone into a desktop (wireless mouse and keyboard and monitor). They push for true portability, and a laptop would be the same as disowning their smartphones and tablets in many ways.
    jkomo001 and MetalxAssassinx like this.
    05-11-12 09:47 AM
    I had a 486 that ran QNX, and it was blazingly fast compared to the pentium running Linux (the less said about the slow bloatware that windows was in comparison the better). Because of that I'd be happy to add a laptop running it to my collection of hardware.
    05-11-12 10:36 AM
    The more realistic possibility would be an implementation of a tablet and a laptop type of dock. Much like the lenovo hybrid seen here:

However u can see how laggy the demo is bc of the android OS, imagine a BB10 PlayBook as the detachable monitor and u have a winner!
    05-11-12 12:35 PM
    Okay I am very happy to see discussion going on here! This is great...I would like to add some stuff here...this is my opinion and everyone will have different views.

First of all, yes QNX can run on computers, BUT its QNX own system...wouldnt be integrated with BB10 and BlackBerries...This is where my idea of their "Future Laptop" would go beyond a typical computer os...it wouldn't be just another OS like mac OS, Windows or Linux...It would be another DEVICE within the BlackBerry family.

So with that being said, it wouldnt be BlackBerry going head-to-head DIRECTLY with full computer OS'...(not at first)...but to begin, they would release a netbook/laptop which would be a BlackBerry Device...meaning on typical laptops you can download software to sync an apple thru itunes, or blackberry thru desktop manager...this would not require that...it would be the final piece in creating an entire BlackBerry QNX ecosystem.

You would setup you new "laptop" by inputting your BBID rather than just creating a password for the user...this way, the "laptop" will instantly populate with all music, videos, pictures, emails, apps, games, etc. that are on your phone and tablet.

It is hard to explain what I am seeing, but you are thinking of it being a competing device to MacBook Pro or any range of Windows Based Laptops, but it wouldnt be...it would be the next evolution of mobile devices rather than home computing systems

Also, I am not saying this will release in a year...this is years down the road, assuming BB10 sells well...it all depends on the sales of BB10...if that does well, this is a viable and powerful idea for RIM to bring to the consumers eyes.
    05-11-12 01:12 PM
    I would want the mini keyboard and case, then the playbook would be the equivalent.
    and use citrix or vm desktop for my windows apps. they dont need to do a laptop with a propiatory OS. would would people gain? if its for a bigger screen, they should do a 10" tablet
    05-11-12 01:22 PM
    obviously I am not smoking the same stuff......but a laptop?? for "laptop" read "compatability with several thousand office, professional and custom programs"

html5 and cloud computing you say? pshah! i respond.. total reliance on "cloud" and "web based" apps is currently a totally ludicrous proposition for a professional person and pointless until we beam to a planet that has full coverage of high speed internet..dunno where that is, but it won't be Earth in my lifetime....

consider...
    1. if you need a laptop for certain programs you have to take a laptop, so you leave the other stuff at home. ..
    2. For Laptops read ultrabooks > getting thinner and lighter each year
    3. Efficiency in processing is irrelevant.. you cansimply throw more HP at it

and now, after sipping my own koolaid, i join your fun!.. given we are swanning personal predictions..here are mine

1. 10" tablet will get squeezed out of the market completely in 5 years as 11" ultrabooks will offer more compatability and a keyboard for the same price..
    2. Tablets will be dominated by ~7" devices with lighter weight and bezel free physicals so 1/2 weight and 1.5" shorter and narrower.
    Last edited by mystic205; 05-11-12 at 01:34 PM.
    05-11-12 01:31 PM
    obviously I am not smoking the same stuff......but a laptop?? for "laptop" read "compatability with several thousand office, professional and custom programs"

html5 and cloud computing you say? pshah! i respond.. total reliance on "cloud" and "web based" apps is currently a totally ludicrous proposition for a professional person and pointless until we beam to a planet that has full coverage of high speed internet..dunno where that is, but it won't be Earth in my lifetime....

consider...
    1. if you need a laptop for certain programs you have to take a laptop, so you leave the other stuff at home. ..
    2. For Laptops read ultrabooks > getting thinner and lighter each year
    3. Efficiency in processing is irrelevant.. you cansimply throw more HP at it

and now, after sipping my own koolaid, i join your fun!.. given we are swanning personal predictions..here are mine

1. 10" tablet will get squeezed out of the market completely in 5 years as 11" ultrabooks will offer more compatability and a keyboard for the same price..
    2. Tablets will be dominated by ~7" devices with lighter weight and bezel free physicals so 1/2 weight and 1.5" shorter and narrower.
    Hey so a laptop you are saying should have several thousand office, professional and custom programs eh? well personally I only use Microsoft word, powerpoint and excel, and they are the most commonly used programs...So several thousand seems a tad to much since the general consumer will only use 3 all under 1 brand.

And why would cloud and web based apps be ridiculous for a professional person? it will allow the person to constantly have connection to their work if need be. I believe many business people would truly love to have this compatibility between every device they own.

And with your 3 points...you have it absolutely correct, ultrabooks are becoming thinner and lighter each year making them easier to commute with...so whats your point? Thats what I said, it would be similar to a ultrabook/laptop...it would be a ultrabook type device where its a screen and keyboard and all that, the only thing i said is that it would be BlackBerries own brand and connected entirely to the BBID and ecosystem (which BB10 already is getting very positive reviews among developers) If developers will create the programs for BB10 then they could be transferred into this new BB Laptop Device and there would be plenty of apps and games, not to mention the amazing browser included to access the internet...

Also there was an earlier post about the app situation...BB10 will be the foundation and all apps submitted and accepted will be on the laptop to download. So unlike apple where the App Store on the Laptop is different from that on the Tablet And Phone, this will be a complete united experience, where all the apps will be able to function effectively on all devices, allowing to download on the laptop and and pick up and play on the phone

Anyways...yes I agree 10" tablets will die off, that is why the rumours around apple getting into the 7" market now, and they will try to take hold of that market then ween out the 10" years later, although i do not think ultrabooks will completely take over...as i have been saying the future is always changing and the future will not be laptops or ultrabooks as we know them today, they will be modified experiences where they will have keyboards, but it will be a much different experience than what we have now...we can already see it in Microsoft creating a whole united Windows experience where phone, tablet and pc are all connected...and Bill Gates has even said he sees the PC world disappearing and it becoming tablets and something else...and I believe that something else is what they are heading towards with their new windows 8...and something that RIM can definitely enter the market with QNX
    05-11-12 02:05 PM
    I voted yes, but it's because I'd love to see the BB logo on a laptop. Would be interesting to see how a BB keyboard on a laptop would feel.

Anyway, I might go and buy a Sharpie instead...
    05-11-12 02:11 PM
    Also, to add on to that...the average consumer wants something that simply works...apple understands this idea...and it is absolutely the right idea...for those people in business the BlackBerry will offer powerful business tools, PowerPoint presenter and creator, Excel, Word, etc. this will work perfectly for business people, as for the GENERAL population who just wants something to browse the web, check email, look at pictures, they dont need all these fancy programs that are thrown into laptops...

RIM has video editing capabilities now, they can absolutely create a laptop on top of BB10 to allow the power user to get their work done efficiently, while the general consumer to have a very powerful experience checking facebook, or email, etc...

This idea wouldnt take over and be the number 1 selling device...but it would appeal to MANY people who just want their devices to connect with one another without them having to worry about saving programs, logging off, shutting down open apps, everything will connect and work seamlessly and thats what the general user cares about...not all the fancy bells and trinkets hidden within the files of the device, its what they can see and use and manipulate themselves that they like...hence Apple so popular due to simplicity, the average consumer doesnt care to customize their phone or go in depth with files...apple keeps it simple on their phone and tablet, offers applications simple to use, and simple experience...this is something RIM with QNX has the ability to create!
    05-11-12 02:13 PM
    The best thing I can say is to play with Windows 8. THat should give you an idea of designing for touchscreens vs designing for keyboard/mouse.
    05-11-12 02:38 PM
    lol.. thanks for not bothering to read my post correctly..

YOU may only want three programs good for you.. for any laptop to make a dent in windows laptop sales it needs compatability with way more than MS office...

cloud computing?.. Try travelling. you will be amazed where internet isnt...

You are entitled your opinion... and being a personal opinion it cant be wrong..well, neither can mine so while I admire your rush of enthusiasm I apologise for being a realist and will simply state that a BB/QNX/BB10 laptop just wont fly...

feel free to check back in three years and tell me i am wrong...
    05-11-12 02:39 PM
87 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD