Came across this news on the Inside Blackberry forum that Blackberry has put to job an industry veteran Alex Thurber in an attempt to push its global device sales.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/04/veteran-tech-sales-exec-joins-blackberry-devices-team/
    04-28-16 09:39 AM
    04-28-16 09:55 AM
    I'm wondering how much they are actually investing in device sales vs just "going through the motions" to please shareholders. BlackBerry seems very disingenuous lately, especially in their efforts to sell the Priv.

Though maybe I'm going too far down the path of a conspiracy theory, and BlackBerry is genuinely just that bad at executing.

 C L A S S I C
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    04-28-16 06:32 PM
    Hire a Proven Advertising Company!
    First Advertise!
    Second Advertise!
    Third Advertise!
    Fourth Repeat First and so on and so on
    crackberry_geek and Fool Guy like this.
    04-28-16 07:17 PM
    The guy seems did very well at WatchGuard.

I'll cite part of an interview with InsideBlackberry:

The success of the device business is reliant not only on the quality and innovation behind the devices themselves but also in our distribution model. The goal is to be even more connected to our customers. This includes being innovative with our selling models - getting new types of partners and defining new routes to market. To help achieve this, we are adding headcount in our field sales organizations so individuals can build direct relationships with our various enterprise customers in conjunction with selling through our current and new partners. We want to ensure customers understand our roadmap and how we are developing new technologies and products to provide high levels of productivity without compromising security and privacy."

This seems pretty obvious, but seeing it through as some had claimed he engineered a full product turnaround at WatchGuard, almost feels like a "plan" to bring back hw.

Passport island life. One of the lasts BlackBerry aficionados in PR.
    gugomat likes this.
    04-28-16 09:33 PM
    I'm wondering how much they are actually investing in device sales vs just "going through the motions" to please shareholders. BlackBerry seems very disingenuous lately, especially in their efforts to sell the Priv.

Though maybe I'm going too far down the path of a conspiracy theory, and BlackBerry is genuinely just that bad at executing.

 C L A S S I C
    Yeah, part of the secret BlackBerry agenda, most definitely...

Phase 1: Destroy the handset side of the business.
    Phase 2: ?
    Phase 3: Profit

I know you can't see it right now, but I'm rolling my eyes at myself for even responding to this. I rolled my eyes at your comment already...

BlackBerry wants to make money and so do the shareholders. Pleasing the shareholders pleases them because they have the exact same interests. There should be nothing disingenuous there.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-28-16 09:55 PM
    Yeah, part of the secret BlackBerry agenda, most definitely...

Phase 1: Destroy the handset side of the business.
    Phase 2: ?
    Phase 3: Profit

I know you can't see it right now, but I'm rolling my eyes at myself for even responding to this. I rolled my eyes at your comment already...

BlackBerry wants to make money and so do the shareholders. Pleasing the shareholders pleases them because they have the exact same interests. There should be nothing disingenuous there.
    Not that they are being disingenuous to shareholders, but disingenuous to customers. Converting to a software company is the sure way to profits. But until that fully happens, the devices are needed to create short term revenue. As both a customer and a shareholder, I'm not sure how I feel. I do believe Chen has shareholders' best interests at heart. As for customers, he may be dragging them along a bit. I'm hoping BlackBerry won't be putting out phones with the intent that they'll have no support and no updates a year down the road, while telling people that they plan to support them.

Conspiracy theory thing was more of a joke - I'm just pointing out the ambiguity.

Getting of topic, but still curious to see how the new device sales guy works out. Hoping they have lasting success with the new androids.

 C L A S S I C
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-28-16 10:59 PM
    Execution. That's all we wanna see. Not the hangman kind... :-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    FF22, IndianTiwari and Fool Guy like this.
    04-28-16 11:11 PM
    Not that they are being disingenuous to shareholders, but disingenuous to customers. Converting to a software company is the sure way to profits. But until that fully happens, the devices are needed to create short term revenue. As both a customer and a shareholder, I'm not sure how I feel. I do believe Chen has shareholders' best interests at heart. As for customers, he may be dragging them along a bit. I'm hoping BlackBerry won't be putting out phones with the intent that they'll have no support and no updates a year down the road, while telling people that they plan to support them.
    This is exactly what I believe is happening. I don't think it was 100% the plan from the beginning of the Chen era. Rather, it was probably a worst-case scenario, from Watsa's perspective. Hardware sales could have reinforced back-office software sales in a feedback loop. I think that was the best-case scenario.

I do wonder why BB didn't, at the outset of the new strategy, create an economical, Leap-type phone to cross-sell with services to big corporate and government accounts. Lee Iacocca saved Chrysler in the 80s by pursuing a similar strategy with the 'K car' platform. (There was more to it than that, including a bailout by the taxpayers. But still, the strategy worked.)

BB could have made it Android, and not worried about it (in the first generation) being 'perfect' security-wise, as the delayed Priv is so obviously not (and grossly overpriced for its market, to boot). It at least wouldn't have been worse than other Android offerings. They could have had a device for show 'n tell at corporate sales pitches, demonstrating their competence at managing Android/iOS IT integration and maybe making some HW sales for gravy. If they were going to half-*** the consumer market, as they've always done, then that would have been a maybe-viable alternative. Instead, ))history((.

Now, they're stuck with HW sales rapidly approaching zilch, and they are a marginal player in the SW space they've targeted, competing against sharks with much deeper pockets and more expertise.

Man, I love my Passport, but I don't know. . . . it's easy to say what people should have done when you're in the peanut gallery. But so many of BB's moves just don't seem smart at any given time, even accounting for their lower competitive position. It's like a feedback loop of despair.

:'(

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Jack Chin; 04-29-16 at 12:25 AM.
    JeepBB, bakron1 and rusty502 like this.
    04-29-16 12:02 AM
    This is exactly what I believe is happening. I don't think it was 100% the plan from the beginning of the Chen era. Rather, it was probably a worst-case scenario, from Watsa's perspective. Hardware sales could have reinforced back-office software sales in a feedback loop. I think that was the best-case scenario.

I do wonder why BB didn't, at the outset of the new strategy, create an economical, Leap-type phone to cross-sell with services to big corporate and government accounts. Lee Iacocca saved Chrysler in the 80s by pursuing a similar strategy with the 'K car' platform. (There was more to it than that, including a bailout by the taxpayers. But still, the strategy worked.)

BB could have made it Android, and not worried about it (in the first generation) being 'perfect' security-wise, as the delayed Priv is so obviously not (and grossly overpriced for its market, to boot). It at least wouldn't have been worse than other Android offerings. They could have had a device for show 'n tell at corporate sales pitches, demonstrating their competence at managing Android/iOS IT integration and maybe making some HW sales for gravy. If they were going to half-*** the consumer market, as they've always done, then that would have been a maybe-viable alternative. Instead, ))history((.

Now, they're stuck with HW sales rapidly approaching zilch, and they are a marginal player in the SW space they've targeted, competing against sharks with much deeper pockets and more expertise.

Man, I love my Passport, but I don't know. . . . it's easy to say what people should have done when you're in the peanut gallery. But so many of BB's moves just don't seem smart at any given time, even accounting for their lower competitive position. It's like a feedback loop of despair.

:'(

Posted via CB10
    ^ This.

I've been saying for a while that BB's hardware moves are just smoke and mirrors to keep the revenues up for a bit longer. I'm not sure how many out there in the big wide world are fooled, but given the number of posts I've seen on CB stating that BB10 will rise again, and that more BB Android phones are imminent; it seems to be working on CB.

BTW, you are my new favourite poster.

I don't want to have your babies or anything, but I like your posts for being literate, good-humored, and above all recognising the reality of BB's situation.
    04-29-16 02:22 AM
    Firstly, remember that John Chen was picked from "outside" the company, interviewed based on his previous body of works and then selected to execute a pre-existing notion (within the company), largely upon what he accomplished prior to coming to BlackBerry.
    That being the case; is there anything in his past history of accomplishments ( here at BlackBerry or otherwise) that would lead you to believe he would waiver from the initial goal, without directly stating that new focus to the consumer.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-16 05:58 AM
    I think Blackberry meant well when they released the Priv, but I also think they now know they should have come up with an cheaper Android based device along the lines of the Leap and z30.

They could have priced it much more reasonable then the 700 dollar Priv and also got more of their enterprise clients to get on the Android bandwagon.

They have the software security expertise to secure Android at the corporate end and by having a lower cost device, I think their sales numbers would have been much better then they where with the Priv.

It looks like the smartphone market has become saturated and now is the prime time for any company out there looking to upgrade their devices, there are plenty of manufacturers who would gladly reduce prices on a large order to boost their sales numbers for the quarter.

My issue is Blackberry seems to drag their feet getting a product to market and are always a day late and a dollar short. I would have thought they would have learned from the dismal launch of OS10. But apparently they haven't!!
    JeepBB, rusty502 and NG888 like this.
    04-29-16 08:34 AM
    So you think that their plan to come up with "new" mid range android phones will fall flat because they are late into the game again. How about their claims that these will be secure phones (I never understood what they mean by secure android though) with Keypad for the enterprise customers?
    Regarding their upcoming all touch phone even if they come up within $400 range will be difficult to compete with likes of Xiaomi, Motorola, One Plus who have already established their sales and service outlets in highly populous markets like China, India and other Asian countries. Blackberry used to have a very good and premium market in India but due to their poor marketing and delayed launches they gave an upper hand to competition and lost its reputation. we can still see Berries being popular in Bollywood flicks from 2005-2013 but all of that has been overtaken by the "Fruit" now
    04-29-16 09:01 AM
    I think Blackberry meant well when they released the Priv, but I also think they now know they should have come up with an cheaper Android based device along the lines of the Leap and z30.

They could have priced it much more reasonable then the 700 dollar Priv and also got more of their enterprise clients to get on the Android bandwagon.

They have the software security expertise to secure Android at the corporate end and by having a lower cost device, I think their sales numbers would have been much better then they where with the Priv.

It looks like the smartphone market has become saturated and now is the prime time for any company out there looking to upgrade their devices, there are plenty of manufacturers who would gladly reduce prices on a large order to boost their sales numbers for the quarter.

My issue is Blackberry seems to drag their feet getting a product to market and are always a day late and a dollar short. I would have thought they would have learned from the dismal launch of OS10. But apparently they haven't!!
    Why do so many not believe BlackBerry should price a Flagship similarly to Samsung, HTC, Apple, etc? BlackBerry's build quality has always been on par if not better. I prefer BlackBerry 10 but that being said BlackBerry came to the Android market with a secure, original device with features no other OEM has. The problem, again, was zero effective marketing. (black and white artistic print does not cut it) It launched with arguably the best chip at the time of release (launching with the 810 had too much risk) as much RAM as most flagships in November. The main issues were again BlackBerry's stupid decision to do a carrier exclusive, botch the pre-order and fail to get it to other carriers until the S7, G5 and now HTC 10 release with better internals. Despite Chen they still know how to screw up a launch and or pick a crappy time to do so. Should have worked on refinement to Marshmallow, BlackBerry 10 features, the camera, used a 820 and had 4 GB RAM and been available on all carriers. Instead they botched a crucial opportunity . Lastly they should of had the slider and similar all touch for user choice. (with the same internals, screens, etc)

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    04-29-16 09:45 AM
    Too little too late? I hope not
    04-29-16 11:57 AM
    Would you like me to explain "unsold inventory" again?
    Explain your genius to Tim Cook, he's got a few million iPhones to liquidate, I'm sure he could use your brilliant insights as he misguides his customers into buying these unsold iPhones whilst peddling pipe dreams of iPhones 7 and iPhone 8 to the foolish masses.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-16 05:22 PM
    Let's see what the guy brings to the table with the upcoming devices..

Posted via CB10
    04-29-16 07:14 PM
    BlackBerry gave up on bb10 to easily. Ya Ya it wasn't selling. But it did initially it was the lack of follow through and telling everyone the sky is filling that sent them into free fall. They should have kept up with the run time as well. But. All things they should have done won't save the sinking android ship now

#luvmybb10os
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    04-29-16 10:11 PM
    BlackBerry gave up on bb10 to easily. Ya Ya it wasn't selling. But it did initially it was the lack of follow through and telling everyone the sky is filling that sent them into free fall. They should have kept up with the run time as well. But. All things they should have done won't save the sinking android ship now

#luvmybb10os
    I thought it was a late release of a buggy, half-baked OS and lack of apps was what sent them into freefall.

*A3-A20
    04-29-16 10:33 PM
    Execution. That's all we wanna see. Not the hangman kind... :-D

•   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   •
    True. That sums up .
    04-30-16 03:30 AM
    They wanna ramp up they need to get quicker to market, I have lost count of the number of new devices launched, they need to stay relevant, not one device a year, and be vague about what they will release by the end of the year.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-30-16 04:01 AM
    I thought it was a late release of a buggy, half-baked OS and lack of apps was what sent them into freefall.

*A3-A20
    Buggy or Half Baked is quite common with most popular Android too. That's why we see so many so called update on the name of improvement, system enhancement, new feature etc etc just to fix device over heating, camera, lag, battery drain.
    In fact there is a huge communication gap between BB and common user .
    Today i went to purchase a Sony Z5 for my daughter. In conversation i said that i and my son both are using BlackBerry Z30 phones.
    Another costumer: BlackBerry is very complicated phone to handle.
    He become surprised with wide open mouth when i said BlackBerry(10) is the most easy to use and addictive phone.
    BlackBerry had worst PR but now we can hope about some really aggressive marketing even if it is for Priv.
    bh7171 likes this.
    04-30-16 04:48 AM
    It's all "smoke and mirrors" folks. The actions that the company has taken in the last year or so does not support that direction.

Posted via my BlackBerry Priv
    JeepBB and Ronindan like this.
    04-30-16 09:30 AM
    Alex's experiences are mainly in corporate market, not in consumer electronics.

BlackBerry 's new hire is still focusing on enterprise market, their priorities are still not in line with consumers' priorities like mine.

Unfortunately, I am afraid my Passport will be my last BlackBerry.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    04-30-16 09:31 PM
    It is kinda telling when a company can't even identify a product that appeals to the "foolish masses".
    Well you have to either figure it out or carve a niche with enough fanboys willing to pay for said niche. They seem to have unsuccessfully fallen somewhere in between. Perhaps the two new more reasonably priced (keep fingers crossed) Androidberrys will help them find their way. I actually hope it works.
    Ronindan and JeepBB like this.
    05-01-16 07:40 PM
30 12