Hi all,

I have Verizon and I'm not due for my "New Every Two" upgrade until May 2010, but right now, VZW is offering me a pretty good deal on the Curve 8330. I have until 6/27/2009 to decide if I want to take advantage of this. I've never owned a Blackberry and this would be replacing an LG enV2, which I'm not itching to get rid of, but could definitely afford to upgrade eventually. I realize there are newer Blackberry options heading to Verizon soon (the Tour being one of them). I have no interest in switching providers, so the Blackberry Bold is not an option for me. Even though the Curve has been out since 2007, everyone I've talked to that has it still loves it. Part of me wants to wait until the Tour comes out, but 1). there's no guarantee it's going to be nearly as well received as the Curve and 2). I wouldn't receive the current promotional pricing I'd get for the Curve ($50 after a mail-in debate card). Any input from Blackberry owners would be appreciated.
    06-23-09 05:35 AM
    I'd definatley go for it. I did the same thing before my upgrade was due and I don't regret it for one second!
    06-23-09 05:37 AM
    I JUST bought a curve - coming from the Palm OS.
    I have to say, I am fine with not waiting. I got an incredible deal and I LOVE the way everything works.
    You aren't going to beat that $50 price/performance any time soon.
    06-23-09 05:43 AM
    Being this is your first BB, it's a no-brainer to get the 8330. The price alone is the selling point, not to mention it is a very good device to get your feet wet with. If you end up liking what the BB has to offer (no doubt you will), the Tour will have been tested and all bugs should be worked out by the time your due for an upgrade. The other thing is, if you get a curve you have 30 days to try it out, if you don't like it you can always get something else.
    06-23-09 06:34 AM
    Jump on it man. I have the curve and I love it. The tour is gonna be so much more expensive and possibly buggy at first.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-09 08:25 AM
    I would say defiantly go with the curve, yes vzw is getting a new bb very soon, but by the time you are dude for an upgrade there will be another new bb that you can get.
    You really can't go wrong with the curve it is very solid.
    06-23-09 08:31 AM
    I agree with everyone else. Go with the curve.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-09 08:34 AM
    I'd actually wait a couple weeks and see how the Tour works out, if you're willing to pay a couple hundred more for it. The Curve is great, no doubt, but the Tour will be better. I'm not expecting any bugs, since it's very Bold-like, and therefore RIM doesn't have much new stuff to deal with on the Tour. The Storm release was a completely different issue regarding bugs, since it was their first touch screen device and the first SurePress-type device ever.

Verizon hasn't announced their release date for the Tour yet, but since Telus will have it on July 15th, it'll probably be around then.

I had a Curve for about a year with AT&T, and I loved it, but I upgraded to the Bold in December and it's a much better device. Leaps and bounds over the Curve. For a beginner, obviously the Curve is a huge step over the env2, so you'll 100% be very happy with the Curve. However, people were also very happy with preserving their food with salt before the invention of the refrigerator, so I don't completely agree with everyone else. Just because you've never had a Berry before, doesn't mean that you can't start with the best model.

So pretty much, in summary, if you don't want to spend the MUCH larger price for the Tour, then yes, definitely go for the Curve. It's an excellent device and you'll love it. However, if you don't mind spending the extra cash, I'd wait a couple weeks to see how you like the Tour.
    06-23-09 09:25 AM
    yeah the curve is a great phone....for a new user to bb you wont be able to really tell the difference between all the updates that are offered on the tour...so i say go for it!
    06-23-09 11:19 AM
    All,

Thanks so much for your input so far - greatly appreciated.

TheStoffer,

If money was no object, I'd definitely opt for waiting for the Tour (unless it turns out to be a clunker) but given the likely price difference between the Curve and the Tour, I'm heavily leaning towards taking advantage of picking up the 8330.

Thanks again.
    06-23-09 11:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD