Well not compeltely stupid.

When you untick 'Prevent Removal' it asks you to log in to your BBID, Yes all very clever.

The only reason i agreed to get BB Protect was for the tracking feature.

Untick the 'tracking' feature, and it dosent even ask you for the BBID.

That is the STUPIDEST piece of .... ive ever seen.

Is this going to be fixed in a later version?

any thief can just untick it, and the phone will never be seen again
    02-25-12 07:10 AM
    Well if you have prevent removal unticked what difference does it make if you have the tracking feature on or off they can just delete the app.
    02-25-12 07:56 AM
    So how is a thief supposed to get past the device password to untick the tracking box?

Surely one wouldn't be that stupid not have one set and complain about tracking in case of a theft.
    jem9777 likes this.
    02-25-12 08:51 AM
    Protected helped me track down my torch in montreal while on vacation!!!!!!!! I think its super legit
    02-25-12 10:00 AM
    Well if you have prevent removal unticked what difference does it make if you have the tracking feature on or off they can just delete the app.
    even when this is "ticked" - all the "thief" has to do is to do a Wipe.... and he can continue using the BB as his own....

BB Protect should be able to prevent Wiping the device - and prevent uninstall - so whomever steals your BB - cannot use it for anything...

also - most BB users I know does not use any encryption on Media - so any pictures and videos you might have (and perhaps documents as well...) are on-the-loose and can be spread around...
    02-25-12 11:58 AM
    Everyone should password protect the phone

If you don't like entering a password then get the app Pattern Lock...
    02-25-12 12:52 PM
    Everyone should password protect the phone

If you don't like entering a password then get the app Pattern Lock...
    Of course we have password protected the phones.... but - it is still possible for the thieves to wipe the device...
    02-25-12 01:05 PM
    I think of Protect as a way to locate if lost or remote wipe. If its stolen, I'm just going to claim and get a new one.
    02-25-12 01:13 PM
    Of course we have password protected the phones.... but - it is still possible for the thieves to wipe the device...
    would you prefer the phone to be unwipeable in which case the person who stole the phone can keep trying to hack your phone and steal your data?

Rather lose your phone, than lose your data.
    02-25-12 01:13 PM
    Well, this is also something that helps people who for some insane reason forget their device password.

Imagine, we see it all the time. 'I forgot my password, HELP!'

Go ahead and enter the password and Security Wipe, then reload your own device with your backup.

I'd rather lose my device than my data, as it goes. A thief will steal whatever they can. A stolen device can still be blacklisted, do you think they're gonna return it just because it doesn't work?
    02-25-12 01:16 PM
    Which is ideal so all your personal information, contacts etc. are cleared out. Unless he's writing it all down, or has DM and is saving everything, by that time you should be wiping it remotely by BB Protect. And after whoever wipes it, it still has the same PIN, so the thief wouldn't be able to activate it, because it should have been reported stolen by now.
    02-25-12 01:16 PM
    Which is ideal so all your personal information, contacts etc. are cleared out. Unless he's writing it all down, or has DM and is saving everything, by that time you should be wiping it remotely by BB Protect. And after whoever wipes it, it still has the same PIN, so the thief wouldn't be able to activate it, because it should have been reported stolen by now.
    In my company we have had quite a few Blackberries stolen over the years, and never ever have it been possible to "lock" the PIN. Carriers are saying one thing - but not doing... RIM has also on occasions been contacted - but not been willing to "block" any PIN's.... The only lock-out function is the SIM... Carriers are doing that... but still the devices are usable for whomever stole it...
    02-25-12 01:19 PM
    Well, this is also something that helps people who for some insane reason forget their device password.
    That could be a Protect service.... IF you forget password to the BB, log-on to BBProtect and use whatever tools they could provide to either remotely wipe the phone, or to make a new password..

I believe - that IF it was known that a Blackberry is a Useless to steal - less devices would get stolen...
    02-25-12 01:21 PM
    In my company we have had quite a few Blackberries stolen over the years, and never ever have it been possible to "lock" the PIN. Carriers are saying one thing - but not doing... RIM has also on occasions been contacted - but not been willing to "block" any PIN's.... The only lock-out function is the SIM... Carriers are doing that... but still the devices are usable for whomever stole it...
    Why would they? They would loose customers if they did, eventually somebody will end up using that stolen phone.
    02-25-12 01:24 PM
    That could be a Protect service.... IF you forget password to the BB, log-on to BBProtect and use whatever tools they could provide to either remotely wipe the phone, or to make a new password..

I believe - that IF it was known that a Blackberry is a Useless to steal - less devices would get stolen...
    It's beyond me how anybody could forget the device password, you would have to input it al least once a day but you can log in to Blackberry Protect and lock your phone even if you don't have a password set, all from your computer.
    02-25-12 01:27 PM
    It's beyond me how anybody could forget the device password, you would have to input it al least once a day but you can log in to Blackberry Protect and lock your phone even if you don't have a password set, all from your computer.
    ok so what if i got hit int he head and had amnesia and the only way to find my way home is to enter the device password so i can call some1 to come get me........

back to the real world the device password is the perfect way of protecting the data on your phone BBP is just an added tool so you can protect that data and possibly if your lucky recover it if lost. the way i see it im walking around daily with a 500 dollar item in my pocket so when i put it down i make damn sure i pick it back up before i move on.
    02-25-12 03:07 PM
    Why would they? They would loose customers if they did, eventually somebody will end up using that stolen phone.
    I don't think that's the reason. It's more to do with legal compliance. A mere report by someone that XYZ Pin is stolen doesn't mean it's actually stolen. The user would have to legally prove that the said phone is stolen before the carrier or RIM blocks the phone.

Imagine a scenario where one seeks to cause mischief by reporting someone else's BB as stolen and having it blocked. Or you sell your phone in the secondary market without any papers and then reporting it as stolen and having it blocked.

For every one honest report there will be ten dishonest reports. So the law enforcement is to be blamed for taking a lax attitude.

In India any stolen phone can be tracked by its IMIE but the police seldom does it as they are more worried about grand thefts and murders. However when the police does take interest (VIPs or politicians) the phone is always recovered.
    02-25-12 03:28 PM
    I won't use BB protect because it will not allow you to encrypt your data.
    02-26-12 12:14 AM
    I won't use BB protect because it will not allow you to encrypt your data.

This is the reason I don't use it either. I password protect and encrypt.
    I also cross reference phone numbers on the lock screen - I list my other device, work BB and next of kin. My phone fell out of my bag in a taxi in DC last summer and the person who got into it after me called me. I hadn't even realised I'd dropped it yet.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9370 using Tapatalk
    02-26-12 01:08 AM
    The moment I would've realized that I think I would've passed out :/
    It's fortunate you happened across someone honest. My faith in the human race, being as poor as it is, I would've been totally crushed.

At least with it encrypted, you wouldn't have to worry about the time that passed until you could attempt a remote wipe with Protect. Guess great minds think alike no?
    02-26-12 02:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD