Hello,

I always enable BlackBerry protect, together with device encryption.
    Now i was looking a bit on my phone and i saw the following message:

- This one-time feature allows you to quickly and easily transfer your previous BlackBerry Protect backup from a previous device.

After I reading this message some questions comes up to me.
    One of them is, WHAT does it save? is it my complete phone including pictures, settings and more?

Or just the E-mail settings and device settings?
    What happens to my backup when i restore it, does it delete?
    How do i know what the last backup was in the first place.

I like BlackBerry protect, but it's limited with giving information so i checked the BB website but cannot find much there.

So maybe someone here knows the answer.

Because if this is like a cloud service and only saves email settings and phone settings, you can easy restore it over normal 3G connection, meaning that you don't have to search the complete house for your wifi password
    06-18-13 03:08 AM
    Which OS/phone are you using?

Posted via CB10
    06-18-13 03:22 AM
    Bb10 on a z10

Version 10.1.0.2354

Send from my BlackBerry 10-smartphone using CB10.
    06-18-13 01:48 PM
    Hello,

I always enable BlackBerry protect, together with device encryption.
    Now i was looking a bit on my phone and i saw the following message:

- This one-time feature allows you to quickly and easily transfer your previous BlackBerry Protect backup from a previous device.

After I reading this message some questions comes up to me.
    One of them is, WHAT does it save? is it my complete phone including pictures, settings and more?

Or just the E-mail settings and device settings?
    What happens to my backup when i restore it, does it delete?
    How do i know what the last backup was in the first place.

I like BlackBerry protect, but it's limited with giving information so i checked the BB website but cannot find much there.

So maybe someone here knows the answer.

Because if this is like a cloud service and only saves email settings and phone settings, you can easy restore it over normal 3G connection, meaning that you don't have to search the complete house for your wifi password
    That's a very good question, on 7.1 you could check a box for each option you stated above and many more of what you wanted BlackBerry Protect to save.

I noticed when setting my Q up in the store these options weren't there, I made a note to check further in the setting but could never find them.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-13 02:09 PM
    When you go into BB protect then options, you decide which data you would like to back up (text msgs, calendar, etc.), it does not provide the same as a full computer back up, I don't believe it includes media such as pictures or video. Still a fantastic program, just don't rely on it for everything.
    06-18-13 02:11 PM
    Yeah, Protect has a long way to go before it's restored to its former glory. As others have said though, I wouldn't rely on it much for picture/video/audio media (I personally always keep these files on my SD card).

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 & loving it!
    06-18-13 02:31 PM
    When you go into BB protect then options, you decide which data you would like to back up (text msgs, calendar, etc.), it does not provide the same as a full computer back up, I don't believe it includes media such as pictures or video. Still a fantastic program, just don't rely on it for everything.
    There is where the problem starts.

I have no options...
    When I hit restore I saw my old 9320...

BlackBerry Protect helps you secure and find your device if it's lost or stolen... okay but...?-img_00000890.png

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone using CB10
    06-18-13 06:12 PM
    Found BB's instructions, never tried it (still a legacy boy). May want to backup just in case prior to. Good luck.

Transfer data to a new device using BlackBerry Protect - How To - BlackBerry Q10 Smartphone - 10.1
    06-18-13 06:24 PM
    Found BB's instructions, never tried it (still a legacy boy). May want to backup just in case prior to. Good luck.

Transfer data to a new device using BlackBerry Protect - How To - BlackBerry Q10 Smartphone - 10.1
    I know how to restore, I want to know what it saves, what kind of information and where can I change it

06-18-13 06:30 PM
    There is where the problem starts.

I have no options...
    When I hit restore I saw my old 9320...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000890.png 
Views:	583 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	173646

Sorry Asmooh, misunderstood, I'm at a disadvantage not being on BB10, is there not a menu if you drop done? Of not, I hope someone can way in.
    06-18-13 06:35 PM
    I didn't read it all so I don't know if it answers the question.

Using BlackBerry Protect on BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com
    06-18-13 06:36 PM
    The Data Backup feature in BB Protect no longer works with OS10. If you go to the website and select the Data tab, you will get a pop-up telling you to use BB Link.
    06-18-13 06:38 PM
    The Data Backup feature in BB Protect no longer works with OS10. If you go to the website and select the Data tab, you will get a pop-up telling you to use BB Link.
    Curious, what's the purpose of it on BB10 then?
    h20work likes this.
    06-18-13 06:44 PM
    Why would you have to search your entire house for your WiFi password? Just look for it in your routers settings.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 01:34 AM
    BlackBerry Protect for os 10 is just like Bridge for BlackBerry 10. Both lost all of the features that made them great. I loved having protect automatically back up my data each day while using my older BlackBerry phones, but now its only useful if you need to track down a lost phone. Something that has never happened to me.

It is like BlackBerry just doesn't get it. I'm sure most people liked Protect because of the back up and restore features, so naturally BlackBerry releases the app without those features.
    bgregory902 and h20work like this.
    06-19-13 02:12 AM
    BlackBerry Protect for os 10 is just like Bridge for BlackBerry 10. Both lost all of the features that made them great. I loved having protect automatically back up my data each day while using my older BlackBerry phones, but now its only useful if you need to track down a lost phone. Something that has never happened to me.

It is like BlackBerry just doesn't get it. I'm sure most people liked Protect because of the back up and restore features, so naturally BlackBerry releases the app without those features.
    I'm pretty sure there's a plan in place to restore Protect to its former glory (and Bridge for that matter), but I agree that in its current offering it's terrible.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 & loving it!
    Saiga likes this.
    06-19-13 02:28 AM
    I know how to restore, I want to know what it saves, what kind of information and where can I change it

Simple answer, it doesn't save anything now.

Not so simple answer, on bb7.1 and lower, it could be set to do daily backups over your network or wifi. You could select what data it backed up (contacts, texts, settings, etc), which could be used for restore purposes later. The current restore feature allows you to do a 1 time restore from your legacy device if it was setup.

Protect is barely functioning now. It worked great before, I know from first hand experience. My 9850 was stolen while traveling, I made a phone call to a concierge service I have, they wiped my device. I arrived back in the states, purchased a new device, logged in to protect, and restored everything including email settings. I'm really hoping bb fixes their own apps soon. Tough to be mad at a 3rs party dev when bb won't even spend the time porting their own apps
    06-19-13 02:35 AM
    Just used the restore feature. My last BlackBerry got stolen a few days before the Z10 was released and thankfully I had BlackBerry Protect doing weekly backups. I had it setup for everything on the check boxes on my old 9780.

I don't know how I didn't notice this option before but it definitely works. What I wanted the most was all my Memo Pad entries. Used it for everything from recipes to mental notes I was even considering buying a Curve just so I could email myself these entries hahaha.

Anyways, my guess this is here so you can use it as a simple way to wireless switch your device from a Legacy OS device to a BlackBerry 10 device. So basically, you chose what to backup from your Legacy device using Protect and then restore the info to your Z10.

Hopefully going forward we'll see the backup feature coming back to BlackBerry 10...

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 02:41 AM
    As noted in the post above, the restore feature is to restore a backup from an older BBOS backup when switching to an OS10 device.

Protect does not backup data on OS10 phones.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 07:51 AM
    Here's my Remember app after the Restore and my sorting into folders. Please note that it was empty before. Forgot to screen shot prior to restore
    BlackBerry Protect helps you secure and find your device if it's lost or stolen... okay but...?-img_00000185.png

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 10:28 AM