So with TCL now launching their first BB, the KEYone, they obviously had the huge advantage of having been able to use BlackBerry's last in-house design, which explains the "distinctive BlackBerry design" everyone has been talking about.

But what happens going forward? I'm guessing BlackBerry won't be creating new phone designs for TCL, so for all devices coming next, it'll be TCL who will have to create the design - either by challenges themselves to keep up the distinct BB design, or make it easier/cheaper and use an Alcatel template or a stock Android design (which is what BB Merah Putih has done with the Aurora in Indonesia).

The question is - will TCL's own product language going forward be able to mirror the successful "distinctive BB" image of the KEYone? Will BlackBerry keep a core hardware design team around to support TCL (I'm guessing not?), or are they on their own?
    03-07-17 03:41 AM
    Steve said BlackBerry will be very much involved and hardware will have BlackBerry DNA all over it. I'm quite convinced new devices will look and feel like a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-17 05:44 AM
    Steve said BlackBerry will be very much involved and hardware will have BlackBerry DNA all over it. I'm quite convinced new devices will look and feel like a BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, they will look like the dtek 50 and 60.
    03-07-17 03:49 PM
    I think that this comment must be sarcasm.
    ominaxe and PALoeza like this.
    03-07-17 04:03 PM
    Maybe I'm different but I consider most slabs to be fairly similar in design anyway? I'm more curious about features, security etc that may be coming with the new phones.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-17 04:06 PM
    :facepalm:

Posted via CB10
    03-07-17 04:31 PM
    I think that this comment must be sarcasm.
    A little, but Who at BlackBerry designs phones. They let the remaining HW team go. BlackBerry is an enterprise software company. TCL took over the Key1 because they got a free design. They may have been working with BlackBerry early on as the possible manufacturer of the phone. Since TCL is completely responsible for the future success of BlackBerry phones for a good part of the world I am sure they have full freedom in what they design, build and sell. Yes I know BlackBerry says they will have input, probably limited to making sure the logo is placed correctly.
    03-07-17 11:30 PM
    I seriously hope that, if it will be solely TCL's job to design future BB phones, they keep the distinctions. I hope they put a logo in the front and bring back the mute/pause button.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-17 11:37 PM
    This is actually TCL 's third BlackBerry.

I'm actually expecting that they'll only improve on the designs. BlackBerry has proven time and time again that they simply cannot design and create a profitable smartphone. I think it's because of the general dysfunctionality of their organization. It's a great thing that they got rid of the hardware division. It just wasn't working

TCL will take the brand to levels never thought possible as long as they ditch all of the old BlackBerry ideas.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-17 11:55 PM
    I have to agree with the comment above...unless we're talking about iPhone, it's tough to differentiate Android slab devices except based on size, and specifications.

So I guess not really sure what the 'BlackBerry' design is for these except a few consistent things like good battery life.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-17 01:12 AM
    So I guess not really sure what the 'BlackBerry' design is for these except a few consistent things like good battery life.
    Well the Z30 for instance, or even the Z10 were a more unique slab touchscreen than the Dteks.

A little, but Who at BlackBerry designs phones. They let the remaining HW team go. BlackBerry is an enterprise software company. TCL took over the Key1 because they got a free design.
    And that is exactly why I'm afraid that now that the KEYone design has been used, it'll be back to a series of Dtek-style devices, which will make BBMobile completely lose momentum after the strong introduction of the distinct KEYone - just compare the press attention. No one cared about the Dtek series, whereas everyone is talking about the KEYone.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-08-17 01:48 AM
    Well the Z30 for instance, or even the Z10 were a more unique slab touchscreen than the Dteks.

And that is exactly why I'm afraid that now that the KEYone design has been used, it'll be back to a series of Dtek-style devices, which will make BBMobile completely lose momentum after the strong introduction of the distinct KEYone - just compare the press attention. No one cared about the Dtek series, whereas everyone is talking about the KEYone.
    So Chen's "predominantly..." * strategy seems to be working with Android. Didn't work that well with BB10...

:-)

*( referring to an early statement regarding plans to produce "predominantly" keyboard devices)

•   THISone, with the keys, hopefully coming soon to a phone store down unda... :-D   •
    03-08-17 02:08 AM
    I wish I could do renders. People who have held the KEYone like the SE inspired design so they could make an all touch version of the KEYone.

They could use the 9850 , or the Porsche 9982 as design inspirations. I really like the use of real metal.

Perhaps BlackBerry could adopt real buttons like the 9850.

The Z30 was OK but the chin was plastic.

If not BlackBerry designers , I would definitely look to European designers for inspiration.
    03-08-17 10:59 AM
    If the KEYone sinks like a rock in a pond this could be the first & last BlackBerry phone that TCL puts out. I can't see them wanting to invest $$$ on future BB phones.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-17 07:14 PM
    If the KEYone sinks like a rock in a pond this could be the first & last BlackBerry phone that TCL puts out. I can't see them wanting to invest $$$ on future BB phones.

Posted via CB10
    What else are they going to sell? Alcatel? Blackberry with all of it's problems is a much better name for them to use.
    03-09-17 01:43 AM
    This is actually TCL 's third BlackBerry.

TCL will take the brand to levels never thought possible as long as they ditch all of the old BlackBerry ideas.

Posted via CB10
    What hogwash!

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    03-11-17 03:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    Except for the fact that they have already stated this is a long term strategy with other devices and designs in the pipeline not dependant on this device.
    03-11-17 04:17 PM
    I hope not also, but businesses have an escape clause written into contracts. What they say in public is not always what they say behind closed doors or boardrooms. My fingers are crossed that the KEYone sells like hotcakes, which will make BlackBerry think why did we get out of the hardware business.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-17 05:12 PM