Or just only for BES Users? What security is provided to regular BlackBerry users? Anyone have answer? I ta really silly question to ask. But I have to answer many fool people out there.

P0$ted via z10..
    01-11-15 05:08 AM
    Just ask this, have you ever seen a BB10, 7 phone hacked? Do you see viruses or Malware, do you see them rooted? No.
    01-11-15 06:55 AM
    For non-BES users, Blackberrys security is more or less just a marketing phrase, depending on what features you are looking for

iOS for example:
    +iMessages are encrypted, whereas BBM messages are NOT encrypted, just scrambled
    +iOS has comparable right management options for apps and users don't need to use Android apps without right management options like on BB10 as nearly all apps users need are available on iOS
    +iOS devices support S/MIME whereas non-BES BB10 devices don't support this.
    -iOS devices can be accessed via forensic software whereas BB10 device information can only be accessed with backup breaking software (BB10 devices can be accessed via bruteforce hack if the user choses to encrypt the SD card. As the SD card encryption uses the same key as the phone one can easily pull the SD card out, start brute force attacks on the SD and after gaining the password access the phone, which uses the same password, as there is no security against brute force attacks of SD cards pulled out of devices. So NEVER ENCRYPT YOUR SD CARD, only your BB10 device and make sure there is no relevant data stored on the SD card).
    01-11-15 08:06 AM
    For non-BES users, Blackberrys security is more or less just a marketing phrase, depending on what features you are looking for

iOS for example:
    +iMessages are encrypted, whereas BBM messages are NOT encrypted, just scrambled
    +iOS has comparable right management options for apps and users don't need to use Android apps without right management options like on BB10 as nearly all apps users need are available on iOS
    +iOS devices support S/MIME whereas non-BES BB10 devices don't support this.
    -iOS devices can be accessed via forensic software whereas BB10 device information can only be accessed with backup breaking software (BB10 devices can be accessed via bruteforce hack if the user choses to encrypt the SD card. As the SD card encryption uses the same key as the phone one can easily pull the SD card out, start brute force attacks on the SD and after gaining the password access the phone, which uses the same password, as there is no security against brute force attacks of SD cards pulled out of devices. So NEVER ENCRYPT YOUR SD CARD, only your BB10 device and make sure there is no relevant data stored on the SD card).
    BBM is encrypted even without BES services; however the level of encryption is less w/o said services. Android apps run in the android sandbox so they inherently are more restricted and don't really pose any risk to the end user.

Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Classic or Passport???
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    01-11-15 08:25 AM
    BBM is encrypted even without BES services; however the level of encryption is less w/o said services.
    Wrong. Totally wrong.
    FAQ: BlackBerry Messenger & PIN Messages are NOT Encrypted - BerryReview

Android apps run in the android sandbox so they inherently are more restricted and don't really pose any risk to the end user.
    Lol. A sandbox that doesn't prevent access through standard ports is kinda useless.
    sentimentGX4, boi2012 and Mansoor2 like this.
    01-11-15 08:56 AM
    Also as long as you have half a brain you shouldn't have problems on any platform. On Android if you watch out for very fishy app persmissions (no flashlight app should require access to contacts) and only download apps from google play in 95% of cases you are safe.

Also for rooting a phone you need physical access to a phone. For everyday use, as an OS BB10 is maybe slightly more secure, but I wouldn't bet my life on that.

Also it should be noted that internet traffic for all OSs goes through the same network so having a BB doesn't make your internet traffic any more secure than an iPhone or android device.
    01-11-15 09:27 AM
    01-11-15 09:28 AM
    I'm not the type to spoon feed you the information. If you can't read and discern it, that's a personal issue. The OP asked for some info and I provided it. You can lay off the trolling and semantics now. Thanks

01-11-15 09:54 AM
    The BlackBerry security advantage for general consumers are definitely there with BlackBerry.

Where I am from, in Korea, phones receive malware phishing texts with fake links that pretend to be legitimate. When you click the link on an Android phone, your phone screen gets shared with the thief, and you typing the password can be exposed. This is a big issue in Korea, and it only affects Android phones.

In BlackBerry, Windows Phones, and Iphones, even if you click the fraud link that installs a malware, nothing happens.

This is why I would avoid Android at the very least.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 09:54 AM
    Is blackberry phone really secure? Or its just a gimmick?-images.jpg

01-11-15 10:11 AM
    Is blackberry phone really secure? Or its just a gimmick?-img_20150111_101146.png

decoy713 likes this.
    01-11-15 10:11 AM
    It's just a gimmick. ;-)

(Sorry just couldn't stop myself from posting)

CB10 @ Q5
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    01-11-15 10:36 AM
    No root access to BlackBerry 10.. so many android device are rooted..in Unix like system, rooted mean disaster..lol

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 10:37 AM

...whereas BBM messages are NOT encrypted, just scrambled
    Since we are here talking in the digital domain, it is safe to say that anything encoded with a key, is called encrypted. I don't care who said what when, you cannot say somthing is "scrambled" just because a common key is used, - then you don't understand what Scrambled mean!

One main difference between BlackBerry and "the others", is that BlackBerry is the only mobile platform with tight security built into the core, which adds a different layer. Solutions exist also on other platforms, but for now those are based on a app layer, which is on top of the OS, which again means that as soon as the device is "jailbroken", the "trust" is lost and anyone with the proper skills "can" intercept data between the OS level- and app level.

This is currently also one main reason why BlackBerry need to have control with the production of their own devices, regardless if that is outsourced to other factories. The OS rely on secured data deep inside the electronics.

As far as I know, this is not done by Android, iOS or Windows

But what is really Security on mobile devices? It is not only about virus and malware, it is also about protecting Your data, your apps data. There will always be a trade-off one way or the other, so the more tight security you enforce, the less flexibility you will get.

With BlackBerry 10 you have pretty good control with this, and before certain security levels are opened up, you as a user can decide weather to accept or not. Even if you allow all installed apps to do whatever they ask, your device will still be pretty secured.

When it comes to security on a social level, like BBM messages, with BlackBerry you have a choice. Messages are protected good enough so that not just anyone can get access, - even if you chose to save your chat history, it cannot be simply restored onto a next device, or even to same device using a different BBID. This ensures you that only you and your device have access.

There are NO way that any regular user can access your BBM chats without your knowledge

Another thing, BBM does not go through your address book and sends all data to any server - it keeps your data safe.
    With BBM you also are in charge of WHO you would allow to talk to you, only persons that You approve will be added into your BBM contacts.

-and in the case that you are using your device for activities that you don't want government or police to have access to, well - you "can" do that if you choose to - by using a BES server and enforcing whatever encryption you want. But that is a level of security that again can be controlled by local laws and regulations. Some governments require that data is accessible for them with a court order, other countries
    require you to give them the needed passwords and access so that any message can be retrieved etc.

IF your phone gets stolen, you can try to use BBProtect to change the password - or to Wipe it.
    Then you can notify your carrier, and BlackBerry about it being stolen (they might need a police report or proof), and they can have the device IMEI AND PIN blacklisted as well.

IF you still want to use your device for more top secret james bond activities, then there exist services for this as well..

BlackBerry10 is not perfect, but today it is the ONLY platform with Security baked in from the hardware level and up, and it's a platform you "can" implement even more security levels if you Need to.

If you want more control with the data traffic on a non-BES device, you CAN do that. Just set up your own VPN server and make the connection from your device. The VPN traffic is encrypted, and you can easily change the passwords as you wish - and the data will be as secure as your VPN is. Since the Hardware and OS level is not compromised, you are also safe that no other "spy" apps are looking into your data on your device. Options do exist for the hobby secret agents out there.
    01-11-15 10:45 AM
    Lol. A sandbox that doesn't prevent access through standard ports is kinda useless.
    The sandboxed Android assures that no android app can interfere with the data container of other BB10 apps. Your data is safe, Unless using a public folder of course. The Android runtime can also not be "rooted" in the sense that no apps can be made to intercept between the OS and the apps, so yes, the sandboxing does make sense - and makes things safer.
    01-11-15 10:50 AM
    BlackBerry is more secure because far fewer people use the platform, thus far less incentives to hack it.

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 and MorgothPT like this.
    01-11-15 11:04 AM
    Well this thread is about comparing the security of non-BES BBs to other platforms. So let's have a look at what the security level means to non-BES users:

BBM: How you define "scrambled" or "encrypted" is up to you. Fact is that at least governments and Blackberry can access data sent through BBM. There are cases known in which Blackberry handed out these information to police. So we can see this as a fact. Apple states that they can't access iMessages as they are end-to-end encrypted. There is no case known that could refute this statement.
    Conclusion: iMessage is more secure than BBM. (Whether BBM is still secure enough for you is another question)

Sandbox: It doesn't prevent apps accessing data through the official ports. You can install and start an android app and give it all permissions. Or you don't start it at all. If you give it access to your local data, you have no control what kind of data it accesses so the sandbox is not really useful for the normal non-BES user. (I know that there are permission apps but they only work with runtime 4.3 used on BB10.3 and will likely not work with the next runtime anymore). All iOS apps have to support the integrated permission manager
    Conclusion: In this case, iOS is more secure than BB10 (when using android apps on BB10).

So if you look at these two features, there is no way you can say a non-BES end user has a more secure device than an iOS user just because he uses BB10.
    01-11-15 11:05 AM
    guess we are back to the old issue... what is a hack and what actually security.... as far as hacks goes depends on what you mean... if you steal someone'\s user name and passwords... you have total access to their ecosystem..... so it does not matter how much encryption you have it is useless... this is the supposed "hack" on the celebrity picture hacks.... no ecosystem is safe from this... one thing blackberry did do a year or so ago is ban the 100 most common passwords which at least stopped 123456 and password from being used... this is why the what was used to hack the phones in the news of the world scandal a couple of years back.... people not changing their default password....
    As for intrusive hacks... this being where you take a phone where you do not have any access... how easy is it to get into it... Android and Apple are at a disadvantage here as it is easy to gain access to permissions by rooting the phone.... Apple has already had their lock screen bypassed many times... the fingerprint scanner has some holes you could drive a truck through...as has been already demonstrated.... Android is a malware nightmare depending on your security hygeine..... a stock Blackberry has encrypted boot rom... 10 strikes your out on password... so no rooting and no brute force ( unlimited loigin tries ) ... this alone does make it more secure that Apple and Android...

As for network and ecosystem... as BB has more levels of encryption.. the other have encryption as well so from a users perspective all things are equal.....

In the end... unless you are really lazy/stupid... or really important all the hacking business is a lot to do about nothing.... want to secure any phone... simple steps.... change you password weekly... make sure your phone is encrypted ( most phones are not by default)..... make sure what websites you are on by reading the url if you are unsure.... only open email attachments on your computer unless your phone has antivirus.... never give out personal info through you phone...

The final type of hack is the network hack... that is compromising your information by accessing the servers directly... example being sony and home depot... you are at the mercy of you service provider.... so there is nothing you can do in this case

The vast majority of people will not be hacked individually simply because we are simply not that important.... another example of fear mongering by the press and marketing agencies.....
    edwinsberry likes this.
    01-11-15 11:21 AM
    Or just only for BES Users? What security is provided to regular BlackBerry users? Anyone have answer? I ta really silly question to ask. But I have to answer many fool people out there.
    Here's the thing. All phones on the market today have security features that are good enough if the owners of the phones take advantage of them. The biggest weakness in any phone's security is the user.

They all have passwords, encryption, sandboxing etc but you have to use them.

BlackBerry 10 provides more than enough security measures for the average user. But so do phones from Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, HTC etc.
    kbz1960, sentimentGX4 and asherN like this.
    01-11-15 12:06 PM
    WApple states that they can't access iMessages as they are end-to-end encrypted. There is no case known that could refute this statement.
    Not debating iMessage's security relative to BBM, but I did read this article once. How valid it is, is up for discussion I guess.

Hackers: Here's how Apple's iMessage surveillance flaw works (video) | ZDNet
    mkelley65 likes this.
    01-11-15 12:12 PM
    That's a bit the downside of every closed source product. The manufacturer could be forced to... At the moment this is just a theoretical problem, but who knows. Doesn't change the fact that BBMs can't only be accessed in theory by "third parties".
    01-11-15 01:05 PM
    From my perspective, when I moved from BB7 to BB10, my phone is now in the same ecosystem as my LG G2. I have the same data access since I'm not on BIS or BES. Apps that are native may be more secure but android ports are probably less secure like my LG G2 through Google Play.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 01:39 PM
    No root access to BlackBerry 10.. so many android device are rooted..in Unix like system, rooted mean disaster..lol

Posted via CB10
    If you root an android phone you completely wipe the system. And to stop dodgy apps from installing you only have to have two boxes unchecked.

And while we are on rooting of an Android, I suggest you look into Xposed and it's modules, namely Xprivacy which will only sends data that you want otherwise it sends blank or worthless data to the app that's requesting it.
    01-11-15 01:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    https://bluebox.com/business/santa-o...analysis-2014/

Rooted - Out of the box...

Complete with backdoors and pre-installed malware. Ouch...! :-(

�   A berry good start and God's blessing to all in 2015 ...   �
    bayobar likes this.
    01-11-15 02:04 PM
    Well this thread is about comparing the security of non-BES BBs to other platforms. So let's have a look at what the security level means to non-BES users:

BBM: How you define "scrambled" or "encrypted" is up to you. Fact is that at least governments and Blackberry can access data sent through BBM. There are cases known in which Blackberry handed out these information to police. So we can see this as a fact. Apple states that they can't access iMessages as they are end-to-end encrypted. There is no case known that could refute this statement.
    Conclusion: iMessage is more secure than BBM. (Whether BBM is still secure enough for you is another question)

Sandbox: It doesn't prevent apps accessing data through the official ports. You can install and start an android app and give it all permissions. Or you don't start it at all. If you give it access to your local data, you have no control what kind of data it accesses so the sandbox is not really useful for the normal non-BES user. (I know that there are permission apps but they only work with runtime 4.3 used on BB10.3 and will likely not work with the next runtime anymore). All iOS apps have to support the integrated permission manager
    Conclusion: In this case, iOS is more secure than BB10 (when using android apps on BB10).

So if you look at these two features, there is no way you can say a non-BES end user has a more secure device than an iOS user just because he uses BB10.
    Wow! You are so smart - I better rush out and by an iPhone right away!
    01-11-15 02:12 PM
93 123 ...