Hi everyone--This is my first time using these boards and I think this site is great. I purchased my first blackberry (pearl 8130) and I love it. I currently have my personal gmail synched to my phone.

I know this topic has been covered many times and many people have said to leave your work email off your personal blackberry. I checked with my IT department to see how restrictive my company's policies are. I still don't know if I should put my work email on my phone, but I listed the restrictions below. Any help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

The restrictions included:
    -My blackberry would lock every 20 min and would need to be unlocked with a password to use any features (phone would still be usable once locked).
    -Internet connection would not come through the servers so there would be no monitoring of web browsing, pictures, or SMS
    -email and phone contacts would be monitored since they would be on the server but other email added BIS would not. (Does that mean I can have my gmail on BIS and not have it be monitored while my work email is on BES?)
    -company would remote wipe once employment ends and I would lose anything I have on it. (I assume this would be ok since you can back up your data/media on the device manager.)
    11-14-07 06:15 PM
    Welcome to the forums.

Don't assume that they they won't monitor your web browsing and SMS. They CAN, they just may chose not to, unless something happens that would cause them to want to.

As for your gmail, they may allow you to receive from that account, but can lock out your ability to send AS that address (forcing ALL outgoing mail to be sent from your work address).

Yes, you can back up your data via Desktop Manager, but if you do a full restore after you're no longer on a BES, you will get back the BES service books which can reallyl mess with a BIS only device. Not to mention they would also need to push a blank or default IT Policy to your device to remove all of the security policies that they put in place in the first place.

If you're willing to live with these restrictions, and they are willing to support you, more power to you.
    11-14-07 06:25 PM
    Ditto to everything juwaack68 said. Great BES Admin mind's think alike

Even if she did take my "special" policy for use on her servers.
    11-14-07 06:39 PM
    I know I good thing when I hear it
    11-14-07 08:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD