Am I the only one wondering why is this device being released? I'm sure they have an idea how their passports are selling is there research saying "hmm people want the same phone in silver"

Posted via CB10
    08-02-15 07:17 PM
    Cause silver is awesome.

Give me a job Blackberry.

FML
    08-02-15 07:24 PM
    It is sad with so many people on the Z line waiting for something to upgrade to that we are getting yet another version of the Passport. I mean if they were to release an all touch version of this Passport they would move twice as many units at least, just due to pent up demand from the all touch base that just want something new and better than what they have now. Again IMHO Chen does not want hardware to succeed, and is releasing devices that will make that happen. The only other possibility is that they are completely bat sh1t crazy in the corporate offices up there in Waterloo.

Posted via Z30
    08-02-15 07:48 PM
    I think the Silver Edition has extra features that we're not aware of yet.

Just my take on it.

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    08-02-15 07:49 PM
    For the same reason they make different colored Classics and whatever else. They have the guts already, slapping different colored outsides on costs next to nothing. So why not?

Posted via CB10
    08-02-15 07:59 PM
    For the same reason they make different colored Classics and whatever else. They have the guts already, slapping different colored outsides on costs next to nothing. So why not?

Posted via CB10
    So running another device through the FCC doesn't cost them money. Producing not only a different color, but a different shape, and a different material in metal, doesn't cost them R&D to make sure the case doesn't impact the wireless functions of the phone through attenuation doesn't cost them money? How about slap the internals in a 1440x1920 all touch if they have to do all that anyway and see what happens. Passport sales are done, they need a new and different device to generate sales now.

Posted via Z30
    08-02-15 08:13 PM
    The main reason is "consistency" - i.e., continuing to produce devices that are hard to explain! :-)
    tomsobon likes this.
    08-02-15 08:35 PM
    The only thing I can think of is a carrier requested it.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-15 08:41 PM
    As long as they keep putting hardware out, I really dont care, as long as they do

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    08-02-15 08:44 PM
    I'm not sure why they're doing this.

If they can make it considerably cheaper (older tech now!) and start another marketing push, I'm all for it.

Maybe it's the cheaper re-release of the Passport for enterprise accounts... :-D

�   BB10 -- Finger flickin' good... in any form factor!   �
    08-03-15 02:05 AM
    Maybe it's the same as the iPhone strategy? 5 and a 5S with minor/no improvements the next year and then a better 6 the year after, it makes sense not to undervalue the original device (the Passport) and keep it alive for who prefer the other design while more affordable (in Lebanon it is around 390-400$ now, released at 700$). It does make sense.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-15 02:38 AM
    I think it's not so much the silvery make, but the rounded corners. There was some excitement going on after the AT&T version got released, an I remember many people stating here that they wanted the rounded corners - but they were AT&T exclusive. So rather than just releasing the AT&T version for a wider public as it is, they made the 'silver' edition, to (pretend to?) bring something 'new' to the market.
    An understandable move imho, however, not very innovative.
    08-03-15 03:06 AM