I'm pumped about this because I ordered a BlackBerry Passport as I was dying to get one and now at $200 off with a payment plan there was no excuse not to get one.
    But I do ask CB Fam, is this good or bad that their flagship device is already selling at a discounted price?

Best Black Friday Deals on BlackBerry Passport ? Available Now | Inside BlackBerry

C002EFE5D The KUQO Group ..... Learn how to detect lies.
    11-22-14 04:38 PM
    Let's not kid ourselves with the $699 price. $599 is its US price, so it's a $100 discount to bring it down to $499. No big deal given the time of the year. I'm sure other flagship handsets are discounted as well.
    bakron1 likes this.
    11-22-14 04:41 PM
    Let's not kid ourselves with the $699 price. $599 is its US price, so it's a $100 discount to bring it down to $499. No big deal given the time of the year. I'm sure other flagship handsets are discounted as well.

Hey I'll take it, just ordered one

11-22-14 04:56 PM
    Wow the Z30 is on for 250$ in Canada, I think it's such a great deal!

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247
    11-22-14 05:47 PM
    It is probably selling poorly. there is really no reason to sell a device at a discounted price this early if the demand is still high (especially considering they 'sell' out so much. Im thinking chen wants more revenue before the q3 earnings and this is an easy way to do it. It should have been this price from the beginning though. I think it is actually kind of crappy that they sold it at a higher price to all the loyalists and then dropped it another hundred for a bigger audience. Oh well, i guess thats just business

I might bail on my shares after a week or so only to pick them up in a half of year after things seem a but clearer. I think tbe revenue intake will beat expectations for q3 but their service/software revenue will probably be down again which will be used against blackberry to say that oh look theyre rly transitioning to software when devices make up 60% of their revenue. Normally this wouldnt be a big deal bc revenue is revenue but ask yourself how many people r gonna be buying passports and classics in 6 months. If it's nothing crazy revenue is going to be mediocre or worse for 2016.

My last comment is that the samsung partnership sounds like a BAD sign actually. This is probably an uncommon opinion but sit with me for a second. It sounds like blackberry is partnering with samsung in order to hold onto existing enterprise customers not find new ones. Blackberry mdm supports all devices already so why does bbry care if samsungs security is weak, that would just mean theyd get more money for people realizing that and buying blackberry devices, instead i think they realize samsung is being looked at as an acceptable replacement, and in that light,the alternative is having samsung partner with good or mobl iron instead. So as i said before, sounds like keeping some presence in enterprise anyway possible. No problem with making smart decisions to make money wherever possible it just sounds like desperation rather than a growth opportunity. Who knows, id really love for samsung to be the OEM for blackberry. Now that would be an awesome win for blackberry
    11-22-14 09:09 PM
    Another piece of the puzzle confirming that sale of the PP are weak..JC said they did not make enough and is selling well yet it is cutting prices..bs.. I am sure Apple will not cut prices because they cannot even keep them in stock with delivering time spanning several weeks.
    11-22-14 09:45 PM
    lol... the BlackBerry "can't do anything right " crowd complaining again? To me it seems like another FUD thread . The price is either to high or they should be having a sale or why are they having a sale? They should lower the price or else they won't sell any devices..... or they aren't selling any phones which is why they are having a sale. You can create FUD so easily.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 10:06 PM
    It is probably selling poorly. there is really no reason to sell a device at a discounted price this early if the demand is still high (especially considering they 'sell' out so much. Im thinking chen wants more revenue before the q3 earnings and this is an easy way to do it. It should have been this price from the beginning though. I think it is actually kind of crappy that they sold it at a higher price to all the loyalists and then dropped it another hundred for a bigger audience. Oh well, i guess thats just business

I might bail on my shares after a week or so only to pick them up in a half of year after things seem a but clearer. I think tbe revenue intake will beat expectations for q3 but their service/software revenue will probably be down again which will be used against blackberry to say that oh look theyre rly transitioning to software when devices make up 60% of their revenue. Normally this wouldnt be a big deal bc revenue is revenue but ask yourself how many people r gonna be buying passports and classics in 6 months. If it's nothing crazy revenue is going to be mediocre or worse for 2016.

My last comment is that the samsung partnership sounds like a BAD sign actually. This is probably an uncommon opinion but sit with me for a second. It sounds like blackberry is partnering with samsung in order to hold onto existing enterprise customers not find new ones. Blackberry mdm supports all devices already so why does bbry care if samsungs security is weak, that would just mean theyd get more money for people realizing that and buying blackberry devices, instead i think they realize samsung is being looked at as an acceptable replacement, and in that light,the alternative is having samsung partner with good or mobl iron instead. So as i said before, sounds like keeping some presence in enterprise anyway possible. No problem with making smart decisions to make money wherever possible it just sounds like desperation rather than a growth opportunity. Who knows, id really love for samsung to be the OEM for blackberry. Now that would be an awesome win for blackberry
    Has anyone stopped to think that it's because the Christmas season? The passport is selling well because Chen has stated that multiple times. I don't doubt that Chen wants to bring in more revenue but maybe people are over thinking the fact that he's just going with the holidays. With black Friday and Christmas coming around, people are always expecting sales from all companies and if not they complain. Chen can't please everyone.

Posted via CB10
    mk2234 likes this.
    11-22-14 10:12 PM
    Another piece of the puzzle confirming that sale of the PP are weak..JC said they did not make enough and is selling well yet it is cutting prices..bs.. I am sure Apple will not cut prices because they cannot even keep them in stock with delivering time spanning several weeks.
    Erm...you might want to compare apples to apples. iPhones' primary sales channel in the US is still through carriers, which is one of the reasons why Sprint is sinking. Sam's Club recently ran a $100 off promotion on the contract price of the iPhone 6. Target will have it for $180 on contract+a $30 Target GC for Black Friday, Best Buy for $100 off with an older phone trade-in required.

Oh...and iMore is that way --->
    Last edited by raino; 11-23-14 at 10:13 AM. Reason: removed errant, critical word. See post#16
    11-22-14 10:18 PM
    The sale will most likely the Blackberry fans crowd who are on the fence on buying one. With the additional $100 off, it will probably push those over the fence and place an order.

Who cares if Blackberry is selling the device at cost of $499 for 2 weeks. The user will be showing off his Passport to other people through word of mouth. That alone is the most effective marketing. The more Passport users out there the better. It will create more awareness for those that are not tech savy.
    11-22-14 10:23 PM
    They are simply trying to keep the momentum going, good on Blackberry for doing this, something they never really have done before.
    lmsilvam and mk2234 like this.
    11-22-14 11:02 PM
    I don't care just bought my passport after analyzing dropping sprint for AT&T... BlackBerry is awesome

Posted via CB10
    11-22-14 11:03 PM
    Iphones also on sale. 100$ down just like bbry
    11-22-14 11:11 PM
    Daily Sales of the passport has tripled since the discount according to the shopblackberry.com trick. Sales of the z30 have increased 20x
    11-22-14 11:14 PM
    Erm...you might want to compare apples to apples. iPhones' primary sales channel in the US is still through carriers, which is one of the reasons why Sprint is sinking. Sam's Club recently ran a $100 off promotion on the contract price of the iPhone 6. Target will have it for $180 off on contract+a $30 Target GC for Black Friday, Best Buy for $100 off with an older phone trade-in required.

Oh...and iMore is that way --->
    OMG, Target is selling the iPhone6 for 210 dollars off. That can only mean that Apple sales are falling like a rock. And I don't want to hear any crazy idea that this is linked to Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the year.

Seriously, the tin foil hat crowd is out tonight. Wake up, it's called Black Friday and everyone gets a deal. LOL.

Posted via CB10
    yessuz, Clanked, mk2234 and 5 others like this.
    11-22-14 11:25 PM
    OMG, Target is selling the iPhone6 for 210 dollars off. That can only mean that Apple sales are falling like a rock. And I don't want to hear any crazy idea that this is linked to Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the year.

Seriously, the tin foil hat crowd is out tonight. Wake up, it's called Black Friday and everyone gets a deal. LOL.
    Ohh I screwed up there LOL. I meant to say it's $180 with an additional $30 Target GC. So $20 off, or $50 if you include the GC. But you're dead on with your point--it's Black Friday pricing.
    11-23-14 12:19 AM
    I don't care just bought my passport after analyzing dropping sprint for AT&T... BlackBerry is awesome

Posted via CB10
    I don't know about you but I could never give up my unlimited data here in the U.S. For a phone. Luckily the passport works on T-Mobile.

I'm assuming you had unlimited data with sprint and are now going to AT&T which doesn't offer unlimited data.

11-23-14 11:20 AM
    The sale will most likely the Blackberry fans crowd who are on the fence on buying one. With the additional $100 off, it will probably push those over the fence and place an order.

Who cares if Blackberry is selling the device at cost of $499 for 2 weeks. The user will be showing off his Passport to other people through word of mouth. That alone is the most effective marketing. The more Passport users out there the better. It will create more awareness for those that are not tech savy.
    I agree with this and the sale worked on me as I ordered one and am now impatiently waiting g for it to come in

11-23-14 11:20 AM
    Just ordered another Z30 for my mom to replace her Q10

BBM: 2BE320B5 IG: iinkmywholebodiie
    11-23-14 12:26 PM
    Guys it's very simple. Consumers expect Black Friday deals on all top end electronics these days. This is just a normal Black Friday sale so that BB is not left out.

Now when people make "best Black Friday deal" lists, the Passport will show up, etc...
    11-23-14 01:43 PM
    This passport discount is part of their black Friday promotion. I would assume the price will go up after the promotion ends. No reason to panic. All retailers offer promotions at this time of the year. As other posters have stated, US carriers are offering solid contract deals on the new iPhone. In BlackBerry's case, they have no US carrier support, so their only selling channel is shop BlackBerry. The financing option through PayPal is also a great idea. Glad they put that in.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-14 01:52 PM
    I don't think it's that big of a deal, like some are making it out to be. There's a discount because of the holiday season, which people are expecting from companies. They aren't making as much money of each device sold but I'd have to imagine they are selling a lot more devices this way through impulse buying during the holiday season; I'm guilty for it as well as I just purchased a Z30 today. Selling 2-3 passports more at 499 is better then selling 1 at 599. Plus you get the device in to more people's hands around the holiday season. I just think it's a marketing strategy for the season and once January hits and the demand is still there, the price may go back up

Posted via CB10
    bakron1 likes this.
    11-23-14 02:30 PM
    lol... the BlackBerry "can't do anything right " crowd complaining again? To me it seems like another FUD thread . The price is either to high or they should be having a sale or why are they having a sale? They should lower the price or else they won't sell any devices..... or they aren't selling any phones which is why they are having a sale. You can create FUD so easily.

Posted via CB10
    I had to quote this.. It's spot on!

Commander and Chief of the Peevishlicious Crew
    11-23-14 03:52 PM
    I don't know about you but I could never give up my unlimited data here in the U.S. For a phone. Luckily the passport works on T-Mobile.

I'm assuming you had unlimited data with sprint and are now going to AT&T which doesn't offer unlimited data.

Yes had unlimited but my last bill was 300 usd only for Roaming and never left the US. I live in Laredo, Tx Border with Mexico and Sprints only answer is that it is not their fault that BlackBerry phones do not allow the Sprint only option to not incur in Roaming charges. I did analyze TMO but AT&T has better service here and has an international Plan!

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 08:08 AM
    Yes had unlimited but my last bill was 300 usd only for Roaming and never left the US. I live in Laredo, Tx Border with Mexico and Sprints only answer is that it is not their fault that BlackBerry phones do not allow the Sprint only option to not incur in Roaming charges. I did analyze TMO but AT&T has better service here and has an international Plan!

Posted via CB10
    why you haven't chosen the option - "no data while roaming"?
    raino likes this.
    11-24-14 08:40 AM
34 12