650 is logical, it would be about 27 Euro, monthly in a 24 month contract. I guess it will be "29,95" monthly, when you add the monthly connection rate of bout 19,95 or 29,95 like here in Germany, you'll come to the usual 59,95 or 49,95 (I pay a little bit more for a second SIM and BIS, I kept my Bold)... So, you see, 650 Euros was the price off contract of my Q10 and that is the bill I monthly pay...
    The passport is in my budget as long as I can upgrade within these conditions. Else, I will wait until I can afford it. (I have other bills to pay!)
    Cheers

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    I have a 'sim-only contract'. I pay 15 euros a month for 200 minutes/smses and 1 GB internet, and I can end my contract monthly. I find that way better than a two year contract.

Nexus 4 is my daily phone, I paid 400 euros for it. It was the most I paid for a phone ever, and I am not willing to higher than 550 euro for a phone. If BlackBerry sells it for 650, I will rather buy a Samsung Galaxy/Note or iPhone for 700 euro. Samsung and Apple have a much higher market share in the Netherlands, which is convenient if/when I have a problem with my phone. Besides all other advantages of Android and iOS. I don't even know if they will sell the Passport here.

Also, the problem I have with 650 euros is the possible price drop.

History of Z10 in the Netherlands:
    BlackBerry Passport price in Austria now confirmed.-ugmorex.png

History of Z30 in the Netherlands:
    BlackBerry Passport price in Austria now confirmed.-saywvxc.png

Green = Minimum price.
    Blue = Average price.

Why would I be interested in buying a Passport for 650 euro if...
    - getting the phone is hard (small market share)
    - I have to wait a few months (because the phone in not ready to be released) - and I actually need a new phone soon
    - the price will/can drop 100 euros in the first three months (Z10/Z30)
    - I can get phones with higher market share (easy/convienent)
    - I can get a OnePlus One for approx. 270 euro (!!!)
    - I don't see getting BB OS 10 a bigger market share with high prices
    - I see making RIM the same mistakes (asking too much for the Z10/Z30)
    - the future of RIM has yet to be decided...

I really do want the Passport. I like BB OS 10, I like the screen and I don't want Android any more. But I don't see RIM becoming a bigger player if they don't price the devices aggressively. Sell it for a lower price and get less profit, but... at least the market share will grow. If they sell it for 500/550 euro, it will become way more popular than when sold for 650.

650 is logical if you're a big player and you can ask (!) high prices. RIM/BB is small, has little to no marketing and poor aftersales.

And hell no, I will never pay 50 euros monthly for a phone. Are you people crazy?!
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-10-14 08:36 AM
    That's the way it went for me... 3GB Dataplan, endless calling, Q10.

09-10-14 10:04 AM
    yea right. keep dreaming
    Wow is that all you have to say?

Show me one BlackBerry device that JC built was on a fire sale? Only history is Z3 and it's not been on a fire sale.

So what is your evidence. Or are you just blowing smoke?

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 10:04 AM
    I dont see how people expected a lower price, this smartphone has some nice innovations with a mature OS now. For the people comparing this with Iphone price, and basing the analysis in market share and brand recognizing, a big lol, if BB is given the market a good build product, with good funcionalities and a good OS, why in the hell they have to tag an undervalue price?, BB cant gain market share based on price, they will never be able to compete with the chineses or similars, they have to gain this based on the product as a whole.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    09-10-14 11:37 AM
    I dont see how people expected a lower price, this smartphone has some nice innovations with a mature OS now. For the people comparing this with Iphone price, and basing the analysis in market share and brand recognizing, a big lol, if BB is given the market a good build product, with good funcionalities and a good OS, why in the hell they have to tag an undervalue price?, BB cant gain market share based on price, they will never be able to compete with the chineses or similars, they have to gain this based on the product as a whole.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    May be they "hope" if they "raise the voice", it'll have any influence on the price... But quality has its price! The material is valuable, the design is innovative. My Q10 fell many times on the flour, 2 times very bad and it got barely scratched. One time I thought my screen got a "hole", but it was only a damage on the protection film, the screen remained undamaged...
    I don't think an other brand/phone be it Samsung or iPhone or any other would had the same luck...
    I believe in BlackBerry, I trust its quality and I am sure, I won't be disappointed.
    The phone is worth its price, I am sure of that!

09-10-14 11:49 AM
    I dont see how people expected a lower price, this smartphone has some nice innovations with a mature OS now.
    Doesn't matter how good the OS is, if you're too late with a complete ecosystem you have a small chance at succeeding. The best OS I have ever used is webOS (Palm), but sadly is history now.

For the people comparing this with Iphone price, and basing the analysis in market share and brand recognizing, a big lol, if BB is given the market a good build product, with good funcionalities and a good OS, why in the hell they have to tag an undervalue price?,
    How good your product is doesn't matter if you can't market it right. Remember that RIM was on the brink of bankruptcy, it can't afford any mistakes. If they price it at the same level as bigger players (Apple/Samsung) they won't get the recognition they deserve, simply because the bigger players are known more and sell better.

Passport will be forgotten even before the actual release if it's priced too high. No sells (consumer or enterprise), no future. Simple as that.

BB cant gain market share based on price, they will never be able to compete with the chineses or similars, they have to gain this based on the product as a whole.
    Yes, they can. BlackBerry stands for quality, productivity and security; Chinese phones don't. Also, if you price it too high, people won't even see the product...

LG wasn't selling any Android phones until Nexus 4. They priced the Nexus 4 aggressively, people bought it (I did too), and now they are one of the big Android players... With their LG G series, they now sell much better. All started with the Nexus 4. More people used the product, liked it and continued using and buying the newer products.
    Bbnivende and JeepBB like this.
    09-10-14 12:07 PM
    i really dont think nexus has anything to do with lg. lg never even released phones for EU as far as i know, their market remained in asia. also lg is still hell a lot cheaper than samsung etc
    09-10-14 12:22 PM
    i really dont think nexus has anything to do with lg. lg never even released phones for EU as far as i know, their market remained in asia. also lg is still hell a lot cheaper than samsung etc
    Google partners up with a phone manufacturer for their Nexus line. The Nexus 4 and 5 are built by LG. You should read the articles on Wikipedia (I can't post the links because I have less than 10 posts).

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-10-14 01:06 PM
    I am not so concerned with the Passport pricing. It seems to me that you would really want to have a keyboard with a large square screen. A niche product that would not be as price sensitive as an all touch phone.

If the new "Manitoba" has Z30 specs in a Z3 body it would have to come in at approximately $75 dollars cheaper than the current Nexus 5. The main reason being that in effect this device is a forked android for apps. This phone holds promise as a business phone and in the prepaid - unlocked market.

I do like Apples approach - a 4.7 inch phone in a reasonably compact body. BlackBerry needs a high end replica coming in $150 - $200 cheaper.
    09-10-14 01:28 PM
    I'm sure it's been said (hopefully) on this thread already - but nothing is "confirmed" yet.

Wait until the 24th before seeing firm, legitimate, from the horses mouth pricing information. People freaking out over release dates, and pricing that's not even official...

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 02:11 PM
    People have to keep in mind this is the price (off contract) and it will be lower once the bigger Austrian carriers (such as A1, Drei...) are going to join in. So I would expect something like a midranged contract 299 � + ~ 30 � a month which will put it on par with the other beasts and of course the new Iphone.

Also when you read the description there is nothing confirmed they didn't put an "voraussichtlich = estimated" tag on it, so take it with a grain of salt

To be honest I'm a bit surprised with this "low price" the Blackberry Bold 9900 sold for 749 � off contract, the first Note around 800 � and keep in mind the price will drop a bit too. But overall I think it's a very fair price the keyboard is unique as is the device itself the Note 4, Iphone 6, G 3, HTCs of the world aren't much cheaper.
    09-10-14 02:41 PM
    Keep dreaming. BlackBerry screwed up by over producing Z10.

Every one said Z3 prices are high and will buy once they drop. Have they? Nope. Why? Because the production is tightly controlled.

Expect the same for passport.

Days of BlackBerry 10 fire sales are over. Was good while it lasted.

Posted via CB10
    They are doing the right thing and this is smart why make a million phone and only sell half. People ask for the Passport and they get it. The price is right for that kind of specs I love it but I'm for the full touch my next upgrade is the Z30 that battery can't wait

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 04:26 PM
    Currently, the Euro is trading at $1.62CDN. Since products are always more expensive in Europe, I think you have to do a reverse calculation to see what the price in Canadian dollars would roughly be, for the Canadian market. If I take 649� and divide it by 1.62, I get $400.61 in Canadian dollars.

Now, I don't think BlackBerry would sell a top end phone like the Passport for $400, so I could see the price being somewhere just above Z30 territory - say, $599 ~ $649 Canadian.

Because, if you were to take 649 euros and then multiply that by the current exchange rate, you would end up with $1051.38CDN, and I don't think you could sell very many Passports at that price, even to the most well-heeled enterprise and health care sector workers. A brand-new unlocked Galaxy Note is going for $600CDN, and the Galaxy S5 sells for about $650, so if BlackBerry priced the Passport above Samsung or Apple, they would lose sales. I think BlackBerry are going to play it safe and price the phone in the same ballpark as their competitors.

I could be wrong here, but this is just my two cents and my SWAG (Scientific Wild-*** Guess).
    09-10-14 09:46 PM
    I really wish all you people who keep complaining about the pricing of the phones now a days, go into business. Spend a crap load in R&D, production, patents etc etc and then put out a flagship phone at a price of approx under 300 for the top of the line spec'd phone.

Let's see how long you guys last in business.

Posted via CB10
    smart548 and spikesolie like this.
    09-11-14 01:59 AM
    I really wish all you people who keep complaining about the pricing of the phones now a days, go into business. Spend a crap load in R&D, production, patents etc etc and then put out a flagship phone at a price of approx under 300 for the top of the line spec'd phone.

Let's see how long you guys last in business.

Posted via CB10
    It's worked out well for Google.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-11-14 03:42 AM

Let's see how long you guys last in business. Posted via CB10
    Google did that twice with LG. Mind you, it was cheaper when bought directly from Google (through Play Store). High-end hardware (at the time of introduction/selling), for about 40%/50% cheaper. The current Nexus 5 had an introduction price of $349 (16 GB) and $399 (32 GB) and was released in november 2013.

I know that comparing Google or Apple (with deep pockets) with BlackBerry/RIM isn't fair. But the market share of BB shrunk, and if BB continues to sell the same amount as they do today they never will become bigger between the giants. Selling more phones is way much better than making a bigger profit. You get more customers if you're known better, to be known better you have to be seen, and to be seen you have to have a looot of customers.

I don't see any BlackBerrys when I'm outside, but i see a lot of Samsungs and Apples. If you can't turn that around, BB devices will get obsolete.

Android users have a lot of choice, pricing it too high won't get them to use a BB. It will just keep driving them away from BB. iPhone users mostly (if not all) stick (I guess). So, to get Android users, you have to price it right and aggressively. And, I have used an Android phone for the last 4 years. I am ready to move onto something new, something better. I want a BB device, but only if the price is worth it. And no, I do not and will not pay 650 euros for a Passport.
    Last edited by zarGonnn; 09-11-14 at 07:36 AM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-11-14 05:53 AM
    Currently, the Euro is trading at $1.62CDN. Since products are always more expensive in Europe, I think you have to do a reverse calculation to see what the price in Canadian dollars would roughly be, for the Canadian market. If I take 649� and divide it by 1.62, I get $400.61 in Canadian dollars.

Now, I don't think BlackBerry would sell a top end phone like the Passport for $400, so I could see the price being somewhere just above Z30 territory - say, $599 ~ $649 Canadian.

Because, if you were to take 649 euros and then multiply that by the current exchange rate, you would end up with $1051.38CDN, and I don't think you could sell very many Passports at that price, even to the most well-heeled enterprise and health care sector workers. A brand-new unlocked Galaxy Note is going for $600CDN, and the Galaxy S5 sells for about $650, so if BlackBerry priced the Passport above Samsung or Apple, they would lose sales. I think BlackBerry are going to play it safe and price the phone in the same ballpark as their competitors.

I could be wrong here, but this is just my two cents and my SWAG (Scientific Wild-*** Guess).
    Just bought the Convertly app, because I reckon it could be useful for a dollar. Hitting up a website is more of an effort...

I know that the EURO was converted from 1.95xxx Deutsche Mark (DEM / DM), so it's quite a large chunk. And I know Aussie Dollar (where I live) and Canadian Dollar are pretty much on par. The Euro has always be more valuable than these two dollars, because it's essentially two Deutsche Mark.

Have a look, you'll be surprised :

BlackBerry Passport price in Austria now confirmed.-img_20140912_082012.png

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    09-11-14 05:24 PM
    Doesn't matter how good the OS is, if you're too late with a complete ecosystem you have a small chance at succeeding. The best OS I have ever used is webOS (Palm), but sadly is history now.

How good your product is doesn't matter if you can't market it right. Remember that RIM was on the brink of bankruptcy, it can't afford any mistakes. If they price it at the same level as bigger players (Apple/Samsung) they won't get the recognition they deserve, simply because the bigger players are known more and sell better.

Passport will be forgotten even before the actual release if it's priced too high. No sells (consumer or enterprise), no future. Simple as that.

Yes, they can. BlackBerry stands for quality, productivity and security; Chinese phones don't. Also, if you price it too high, people won't even see the product...

LG wasn't selling any Android phones until Nexus 4. They priced the Nexus 4 aggressively, people bought it (I did too), and now they are one of the big Android players... With their LG G series, they now sell much better. All started with the Nexus 4. More people used the product, liked it and continued using and buying the newer products.
    Google subsidize the nexus line

BlackBerry|Q10
    09-11-14 06:35 PM
    LG is selling well now because they took the critic seriously and added removable battery plus micro SD support not to forget powerful specs.

The passport isn't a mass market device it's a high quality device with a fair price tag. If people think it's too expensive but something else.
    09-11-14 07:16 PM
    BlackBerry Passport price in Austria now confirmed.-1410454826361.jpg

nederland

smart548 likes this.
    09-12-14 03:50 AM
    Too expensive, and bad timing in release, all retailers in my market already gearing up big time for iPhone 6 same availability and both major telecom providers.

Many people try to believe that there is no overlap in customer base, between the two, there is big time, it just represents a much more insignificant base for apple.

I for one, would evaluate buying the passport now, given a larger screen and better keyboard on iPhone 6
    09-14-14 05:43 AM
    Too expensive, and bad timing in release, all retailers in my market already gearing up big time for iPhone 6 same availability and both major telecom providers.

Many people try to believe that there is no overlap in customer base, between the two, there is big time, it just represents a much more insignificant base for apple.

I for one, would evaluate buying the passport now, given a larger screen and better keyboard on iPhone 6
    There is no overlap here the passport has a very special market in mind while the iPhone is just a mass market device. Also no the keyboard isn't better you can't beat a physical keyboard with digital ones till class screens are pressable. Although for BB standards the keyboard seems a bit of_ only 3 rows instead of 4 and no numbers_ and no tool belt.

But for programs like excel, access the screen should come in handy and that market is untaped so far
    09-14-14 07:03 AM
    I'm fully expecting it to be around the 600 quid mark when it arrives in the UK because thats how much all the high end phones cost. Also it's aimed at business users so they will want it at a premium price point. Is anyone really expecting it to be dirt cheap bargain?

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 07:19 AM
    People have to keep in mind this is the price (off contract) and it will be lower once the bigger Austrian carriers (such as A1, Drei...) are going to join in. So I would expect something like a midranged contract 299 � + ~ 30 � a month which will put it on par with the other beasts and of course the new Iphone.

Also when you read the description there is nothing confirmed they didn't put an "voraussichtlich = estimated" tag on it, so take it with a grain of salt

To be honest I'm a bit surprised with this "low price" the Blackberry Bold 9900 sold for 749 � off contract, the first Note around 800 � and keep in mind the price will drop a bit too. But overall I think it's a very fair price the keyboard is unique as is the device itself the Note 4, Iphone 6, G 3, HTCs of the world aren't much cheaper.
    Drei only offers the Z10 and some legacy devices. I tried to get a Q10 from them 2months ago because of my contract.

I don't see them to offer the passport...

Posted via CrackBerry App
    09-14-14 07:24 AM
    As has been pointed out, I think this time they will have smaller production runs and less inventory stacking up. Should see fewer price drops.
    No matter how many they make if the sales aren't there the price will drop
    09-14-14 07:29 AM
88 1234