None of that matters anymore. BlackBerry isn't competing with android or iPhone in the enterprise. They are in a league of their own.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 06:33 AM
    The USA doesn't matter in terms of profitability for a company. I am living in Asia right now and believe me they consume more phones than the Americans my friend. People that say that USA is the most important market in order to be successful is people that are just completely uneducated like many Americans are. If your device is successful in Asia and India you really don't need the USA in order to be relevant.

Posted via CB10
    I think we can put the measuring tape away and stop trying to argue whose country/region has the biggest, um, "market". Statistics on the size of various economies are available. If you are interested, go look it up.

It doesn't matter anyway in the context of smartphones. Most of the profits in smartphones are at the top end of the market. Flagships drive large profits, not budget models. And when it comes to flagships, it's pretty much the same phones that are popular all over the world. If it's a popular flagship in the USA, it's probably also popular in Europe, Asia, etc. There is some regional variation, but not much in the big scheme if things. The major players are so darn rich because they sell large volumes all over the world.
    08-24-14 08:11 AM
    Although those that are paying attention will know the Passport is not aimed at general consumers. But, once sales figures are released, we all know the scathing press releases that will ensue. It will be judged as a flop. Another failed attempt by a nearly dead company...YaDa YaDa YaDa. we saw this with the other BlackBerry models. Of course this misses the point...BlackBerry's validity no longer relies on the handset division. We need to move past that.

Flicked out via Zed30
    08-24-14 04:18 PM
    1st let me say that I haven't been so excited for a phone to come out since the BlackBerry 10 OS was 1st announced. I will definitely be picking 1up. I have posted via Facebook Instagram Twitter u name it I Shared the Passport from it. The reaction to my 500 Android and Apple friends wasn't even a splash in the water. Not 1 comment actually I did get 1 comment (I thought they stopped making that crap, well they should) I was hoping for more of a What's that?, wow, Interesting, different. Nope I got no feedback

when I don't get a warm feeling from my friends it's good enough to say we won't see a difference. I called it with BBM and I'm calling it with the Passport. People are done with BlackBerry. No phone will make them even try when we all know (People just need to try BlackBerry 10) we all know it will amaze anyone once you give it a shot. But that's the main problem, nobody is giving them a shot.

With BBM out of my 500 friends I got about 100 to download it (Not even Try It) then there right back to whatsapp. So all those millions and millions added when BBM went cross platform probably 1 million if not more are now just DEAD accounts.

What BlackBerry needs is a commercial like Buick (That's not a buick) Buick recognized it was an old people car and now they are showing off the change. Like We know we were old but if u look at us now u won't even recognize it's a buick. Great advertising BlackBerry should take note because at this route it's only going to get worse.

Chen fired the Marketing team and replaced them with crickets. 1 simple commercial wouldn't hurt for BlackBerry. I'm sure they can figure out the funds for 1 commercial. They should even do a contest. Ask a fan to come up with an add, make it interesting.
    I know (There's a website to give BlackBerry ideas and honestly I'm tired of giving ideas to them cause they really don't listen.) But again I challenge EVERYONE to post the BlackBerry Passport to there social media accounts and see the feedback that u get because the hype of the passport is within the BlackBerry community and no where else. And of course the passport is going to be welcomed by the BlackBerry faithful but we need more than that.... What Feedback have you guys gotten from friends?

Posted Via This Thing They Call The BlackBerry ?Z30
    So OP, I guess you have to stop listening to your friends, eh? Or better yet change your circle of friends. By BlackBerry standard, not Apple standard, the Passport seems to be doing ok for now.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck and mrlahjr like this.
    10-04-14 01:40 PM
    The Passport is out of stock again from shopblackberry.com! Most of my 20+ friends are switching to blackberry yeah and all my family and relatives have BlackBerry phones. Blackberry will do well.

From my ? phone.
    10-04-14 05:11 PM
    Don't need to ask anyone what it's like as I am the proud owner of the passport and dare I say best phone in years it's so different stands out and does everything I need it to do and more.
    Blackberry passport picture taken from the phone I had prior (q10)
    BlackBerry Passport A GAME Changer? I Think Not From What I'm Seeing. Ask Ur Friends What They Think-img-20141003-wa002.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck and mrlahjr like this.
    10-04-14 05:37 PM
    Is it going to be a game changer? I guess that depends on what game your playing. I know that I'm considering getting one and I've never had an interest in any of the other physical keyboard phones so you'd have to say for me it's a game changer.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 08:26 PM
    This thread is an excellent example of where someone's conventional wisdom was completely wrong. The OPs original certitude does make you chuckle.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 08:56 PM
    I've owned many blackberries over the years...this device was always for a select few people. I admit to leaving blackberry for quite sometime for android. I love android! But it was never a blackberry! I ALWAYS HOPED that blackberry would make a come back with a device like the passport, which I now own and is my daily driver, and the classic, which I will also own when it comes out. I plan never to use another device again. BlackBerry will always be the best for me and others that know the operating system well enough to understand the benefits of the user interface. The NOTE line of devices is probably the only device that can come close as far as productivity and even still.....its not in the same realm of a blackberry .

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 09:09 PM
    Absolutely it is! This is coming from a Canadian. The USA is still the #1 economic power on the planet. The home to the largest media on the planet, and is the pop culture centre of the planet. Name me another nation that even comes close to the USA in any of those facets?

Posted via CB10
    China

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 09:30 PM
    China

Posted via CB10
    Except bbry doesn't even sell bb10 in china

Posted via CrackBerry App
    10-04-14 09:58 PM
    I kind of agree with what some of the other people are saying on this thread.

Remember, BlackBerry's original intent was not to be popular with teenagers, they were meant for business professionals that needed to get emails while on the go.

I think that's what BlackBerry is trying to re-establish in NA. The BlackBerry brand will known as something for business adults, whereas iPhones and Androids will be for... well, the common person. A snob factor so to speak. Kind of like, again, when BlackBerry first came out. Which, might in turn make BlackBerrys popular for "regular" people, to make them feel like a,"Big shot". That's the whole reason why I got my first one at least...
    10-04-14 09:58 PM
    +1M Oh really. They forget there are 6B+ on the planet and the huge market growth and strategic focus is not even on the NA continent.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 10:35 PM
    I don't know what you mean when you expect it to be a game changer, but I see this happening with Passport, and I can tell you it's a first for any BlackBerry in a long time:

BlackBerry Passport A GAME Changer? I Think Not From What I'm Seeing. Ask Ur Friends What They Think-img_20141005_020101.png

This guy is a Tech Guru, a Fanboi among other things. This changes the scene, if not the game entirely. I see that happening here at least.

This is a follow-up review from another mainstream media house: http://indianexpress.com/article/tec...linkId=9871175

This may not translate into multi million devices sold, but I don't think that's what they are aiming for. Like JC said - it's okay to not be an iPhone killer.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 11:16 PM
    At the end of the day a phone makes phone calls... I have a teacher friend who uses a cheap phone with a basic plan. She doesn't care, I don't care. Regardless of what phone it is, if it suits your needs that's what matters...
    bakron1 likes this.
    10-05-14 12:09 AM
    1st let me say that I haven't been so excited for a phone to come out since the BlackBerry 10 OS was 1st announced. I will definitely be picking 1up. I have posted via Facebook Instagram Twitter u name it I Shared the Passport from it. The reaction to my 500 Android and Apple friends wasn't even a splash in the water. Not 1 comment actually I did get 1 comment (I thought they stopped making that crap, well they should) I was hoping for more of a What's that?, wow, Interesting, different. Nope I got no feedback

when I don't get a warm feeling from my friends it's good enough to say we won't see a difference. I called it with BBM and I'm calling it with the Passport. People are done with BlackBerry. No phone will make them even try when we all know (People just need to try BlackBerry 10) we all know it will amaze anyone once you give it a shot. But that's the main problem, nobody is giving them a shot.

With BBM out of my 500 friends I got about 100 to download it (Not even Try It) then there right back to whatsapp. So all those millions and millions added when BBM went cross platform probably 1 million if not more are now just DEAD accounts.

What BlackBerry needs is a commercial like Buick (That's not a buick) Buick recognized it was an old people car and now they are showing off the change. Like We know we were old but if u look at us now u won't even recognize it's a buick. Great advertising BlackBerry should take note because at this route it's only going to get worse.

Chen fired the Marketing team and replaced them with crickets. 1 simple commercial wouldn't hurt for BlackBerry. I'm sure they can figure out the funds for 1 commercial. They should even do a contest. Ask a fan to come up with an add, make it interesting.
    I know (There's a website to give BlackBerry ideas and honestly I'm tired of giving ideas to them cause they really don't listen.) But again I challenge EVERYONE to post the BlackBerry Passport to there social media accounts and see the feedback that u get because the hype of the passport is within the BlackBerry community and no where else. And of course the passport is going to be welcomed by the BlackBerry faithful but we need more than that.... What Feedback have you guys gotten from friends?

Posted Via This Thing They Call The BlackBerry ?Z30
    Totally agree with absolutely everything you said, and yes BlackBerry Marketing is just, well non-existent. They need some commercials. The Superbowl Commercial when bb10 was first released was a joke. They need a commercial that will capture people's attention, get excited, showcase what bb10 can do and the idea of a Buick - like commercial? Absolutely love it! Here's another one. Anyone seen the Kia commercial with the Hamsters? How about some commercials like that for the lower end phones BlackBerry makes. To attract the younger crowds. So many ideas and like you said, no one is listening. Many of you may have seen this already, but in case you haven't this non-official bb10 commercial posted to YouTube prior to the release of the pathetic official Superbowl Commercial. This is what they should have actually aired. http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLSP...&v=dY1ecfWT3GQ

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 11:22 AM
    I doubt Chen would be at all upset if the Passport turned out to be a big success in the consumer space. I get that we keep hearing the "concentrate on enterprise" mantra, and particularly for the US market it holds, but I don't see anything holding back the Passport from being a consumer success.
    No one, Chen in particular, would be upset if the Passport turns out to be a hit in the consumer space. But the fact remains that it was built with the professional audience in mind. The lowest hurdle for BlackBerry to achieve is to ensure that they continue to remain relevant to business users. If they also attract the broader consumer audience (which they managed to do some years ago), then that's just gravy!
    10-05-14 03:27 PM
    Except bbry doesn't even sell bb10 in china

Maybe not mainland but I'm pretty sure they do in hong kong.
    10-05-14 03:29 PM
    I think the passport is a game changer! It won't sell like an iphone but I think it might become a status symbol.
    Just like in the early days of BlackBerry, before it was cool to own a BlackBerry ppl who needed them owned a BlackBerry. And other ppl noticed and followed along.
    So if they could make the passport, and the person holding the passport look important and successful then others might follow.
    So maybe, just maybe they could do the same again.

Posted via CB10
    Blue787 likes this.
    10-05-14 05:39 PM
    Well that's your experiences. I'm a sales rep for a third party. And the passport is selling well on the east coast of Canada. Telus has had lots of people come looking for the passport where I'm from.

200,000 sold in the first two days isn't bad either. I'd like to know the number after a month.

And I agree, it doesn't have to be a game changer, it just had to be substantial enough for that niche market. By the looks of the last quarter earnings, and the first 2 day passport numbers, BlackBerry and John Chen seem like they are doing the right thing.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 06:05 PM
    Just for clarity, when did the USA become the most important mobile phone market on earth ?

Timbosaurus and Xenolock like this.
    10-05-14 06:06 PM
    If you're playing the "look what millions of apps I have" the playground scenario bit, then sure its not a game changer. No ONE has offered a more focused device for the serious business person except for BlackBerry's offerings. Its a pity people are still at the immature stage of basing the validity of a device based on how many apps and carrying cases the device has.....truly humanity has hit an all time low. The Passport stands in my mind as the de facto business communication device bar none.

10-05-14 06:09 PM
    I don't know what you mean when you expect it to be a game changer, but I see this happening with Passport, and I can tell you it's a first for any BlackBerry in a long time:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141005_020101.png 
Views:	592 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	303274

This guy is a Tech Guru, a Fanboi among other things. This changes the scene, if not the game entirely. I see that happening here at least.

This is a follow-up review from another mainstream media house: Blackberry Passport full review | The Indian Express

This may not translate into multi million devices sold, but I don't think that's what they are aiming for. Like JC said - it's okay to not be an iPhone killer.

Posted via CB10
    That's a really positive report. Thanks for sharing.
    10-05-14 06:10 PM
    So far the previous creative director said it was ugly, and passed judgement. The new director stopped and looked and said it was cool adn different.

Most reactions have been 'is that the new blackberry? Can I see it?'. So far I've been surprised at the positive reaction and curiosity from everyone who's seen it (strangers and co-workers).

I'm trying to get used to the keyboard which I feel is much slower for me then my 30

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 07:02 PM
  25. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Public opinion will change... from the ground up.... by new "Passport and Classic" evangelists and others who, through their initiatives and intelligence, choose to lead and not mindlessly follow what others think, say or do.

From my amazing Passport

BlackBerry Passport A GAME Changer? I Think Not From What I'm Seeing. Ask Ur Friends What They Think-facebook-20141005-095843.png

Posted via CB10
    Blue787 likes this.
    10-05-14 07:10 PM
188 ... 5678