I finally got my grubby little hands on the 2 side by side yesterday and WOW!

The Passport and the Classic make the Q10 and Z10 feel like beta devices in comparison, while the Q being compact is a plus, they should never have removed the trackpad; because the Bold form factor is a perfected form factor. Just like the flip form factor is in Japan. There is something about it which just works in a way that a glass slab never could. The ability to operate your entire phone from just the trackpad makes working with text and using the phone one handed a breeze. The Classic is the BlackBerry that many people (including myself) have been waiting for since 2011, finally a BlackBerry's, BlackBerry (just as in "a man's, man") that is operating a modern OS; because the problem with old BlackBerrys was the software, not the form factor.

Then you have the passport :3

This "device" (because it's more than a phone) is redicoulousy amazing!! TTTHHHEE SCREEEN!!! OH MY! When it started loading up the desktop sites in the browser without it looking too small, it finally hit me how big and WIDE the screen is. It was surprising to see how well youtube videos looked on the screen even with the black bars it was about the same size as a video on an iphone 5s. BlackBerry then pairs that huge screen with a truly innovative keyboard; as opposed to the "i-nnovation" that comes out of Cappernico. (see what I did there? Innovating :3). Double tapping for the cursor and moving it with the touch keyboard makes text editing so much easier than an all touch phone, and scrolling using the keyboard really tops off this truly unique device, which marries a big beautiful screen with powerful text editing capabilities.

BlackBerry has really made two unique and specialized devices. One is an update to the perfected form factor of the Bold series. The other reinvented the wheel and created a whole new BlackBerry form factor; that all at once is foreign, yet undeniably a modern classic, which leaves you with the premonition that once you get used to this form factor, you may never be satisfied with anything else again.

BlackBerry couldn't have made it more difficult, the old Bugatti or the new?
    BlackBerry Passport & Classic are head and shoulders above the Zs & Qs-bugatti_new_and_old_by_kgwilder.jpg

"Correct me grammar fascists! I'm ready!"
    Last edited by FobiddenRiceman; 04-02-15 at 02:01 AM.
    BerryRipe and thymaster like this.
    04-02-15 01:47 AM
    Agreed, the Passport is a Class of its own!

It's more like a laptop in the pocket,
    especially when on Blend or "link"ed to your private cloud
    (home PC with Blend/Link running).

Multi-window experience
    Desktop style web browsing
    a real keyboard
    a "mousepad"
    external USB and HDMI capable
    extra "HDD" installable (microSD)

:-D

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    miker476 likes this.
    04-02-15 02:21 AM
    The Passport is definitely the most original device out there. And the form-factor isn't just a gimmick either; that wide screen genuinely makes working with documents a pleasure.

One phone you seem to have forgotten about, though, is the Z30. It's a great full-touch device.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-02-15 02:28 AM
    The Passport is definitely the most original device out there. And the form-factor isn't just a gimmick either; that wide screen genuinely makes working with documents a pleasure.

One phone you seem to have forgotten about, though, is the Z30. It's a great full-touch device.

I played with the Z30 when I was considering upgrading my Z10. The amoled screen was a turn off for me. I dealt with it on my Q10 for a little bit until the Classic was released.

Posted via Classic
    thymaster likes this.
    04-02-15 07:10 AM
    Passport should've had a real (4 row) keyboard. To go that far with a potentially great device and then do that was just silly.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    04-02-15 09:07 AM
    Passport should've had a real (4 row) keyboard. To go that far with a potentially great device and then do that was just silly.

Posted via CB10
    Have you used the Passport? I mean really used it, not just played with one. You get used to the on screen keyboard and start to realize that it is actually just as quick if not quicker to use. Sure, it takes some time to get used to it, but once you do it is hard to go back to the significantly smaller 4 row keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    04-02-15 11:02 AM
    I think CTU wants a 4 row keyboard on a Passport. The device would be a little taller is all.

Personally, I prefer an all touch with the same physical size as a Z10 but with smaller bezels to create a larger screen. Even though I am a senior, I gave fully adapted to the VKB.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 12:09 PM
    It's really nice to hear about all the wonderful comparisons. For those who are with carrier that does not support the Passport and can't seem to even get out current OS updates find reading these painful. Happy for you but really.....

Posted via CB10
    maddie1128 likes this.
    04-02-15 12:12 PM
    I'm in that boat pblakeney. I'm with Verizon and just bought a Z30 off of ebay because I am waiting out my contract. It hurts reading about that Passport all the time and not being able to get one!
    I have to say the Z30 is great... I am loving it so far!!
    kbz1960, TJKGT and thymaster like this.
    04-02-15 12:47 PM
    Referring to the Passport as a phone would be like calling your car a stereo. I now tell people that I have a new computer before pulling it out and they get it very quickly. The screen size and keyboard are the most obvious features but the input of files, the manipulation of data and the various outputs of those files is what makes this more than an app player. It's seriously impressive.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 02:25 PM
    What I do miss though is the lack of a dark theme across the phone.

Before I get pumbled for saying that, all I want is the option. Okay I'm not saying it should be the default, but none the less I'd like the option.

Hay SailFish OS has dozens of system wide themes and you can even generate a theme based off a photo. All I want is 2 options, dark and light. The dark theme is really useful for night time use and I don't think that it would kill BlackBerry to do it. Plus there were renders of a black hub and theme, so that means they have worked on it. Just JC didn't like it, so it got axed or so I'm told

04-02-15 07:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    What you mean is the Classic should have come with a 4" screen

Thunderbuck likes this.
    04-02-15 07:21 PM

I noticed right away that this wasn't a gimmick, it's going to be a new line for BlackBerry.

In all seriousness the z30 is probably going to be my next phone, the price is right and I'd like to try it in comparison to the z10

Thunderbuck likes this.
    04-02-15 07:41 PM
    What you mean is the Classic should have come with a 4" screen

There could have should have been a 4 inch Q10 with a 4:3 inch screen. Roughly the same size as a Leap. Oh well ,too late to have made a right sized PKB.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-15 08:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    I can't agree. 4 row kb would have made the device taller. For me, at least, this has been the best text-entry device I've ever used.

Posted from CB10 on my classy Passport--TBUCK64
    04-04-15 06:11 PM
    I can't agree. 4 row kb would have made the device taller. For me, at least, this has been the best text-entry device I've ever used.

Posted from CB10 on my classy Passport--TBUCK64
    You mean better proportioned. Taller and wide looks better than short and wide.
    04-04-15 08:13 PM
    You mean better proportioned. Taller and wide looks better than short and wide.
    Without scraping off half of the top bezel, it wouldn't be Passport format anymore with a four-row keyboard. I'm not sure why some people do not understand this fact... :-)

04-04-15 11:31 PM
    Yep I can't see myself going for another phone now. I love my Passport and I can't wait to see what BlackBerry have in store for us with Passport 2.
    04-05-15 04:00 AM
    Without scraping off half of the top bezel, it wouldn't be Passport format anymore with a four-row keyboard. I'm not sure why some people do not understand this fact... :-)

AT+T did not get the memo so they added some length.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 06:06 AM
    The Classic is what I thought I was after, it can do with a better keyboard like the 9900.
    04-05-15 06:26 AM
    Really. I don't think so.

Both look odd or old when compared to a Z model.
    04-05-15 06:55 AM

Because BlackBerry gimped their own phone like that.
    That was one thing that really annoyed me with the Passport, because not including alt/shift/sym keys made me less productive.
    04-05-15 12:28 PM
    After a couple of months I still find it too weird mixing PKB letters with capacitive touch everything else. I keep gravitating away from the Passport back to the Z30 because of it.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.2576 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.5.6
    04-05-15 12:44 PM
    I have been using my Passport now for the past month and a half. I am getting used to the form factor and with the hybrid physical keyboard. I love my Z30 and the type and flick. It's Uber fast no doubt but I cannot put the Passport down. Really pleased with BlackBerry and their offerings and OS updates.

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    04-05-15 01:59 PM