Finally an end to that terrible incident, 14 years, probably not enough:

BBC News - CCTV shows deadly confrontation after Jessie J gig
    11-09-12 03:42 PM
    11-09-12 03:57 PM
    Thanks for sharing.

Amazing how few outlets are reporting on this, compared to how many were quick to jump on the story when it happened and use it as an excuse to belittle RIM.

Not as funny when a RIM employee is murdered ...
    11-09-12 04:10 PM
    11-09-12 04:21 PM
    Never fun to gloat, but the murder of a family guy (especially over trivial crap) is never cool, so good. Let dude rot.
    11-09-12 04:24 PM
    11-09-12 04:27 PM
    I just came across something disturbing, was this just about phones? I mean there were a lot of iphone owners at the party some gloating.

�A witness heard an argument between the defendant and Mr Sheriff which appeared to be related to the phone.

�CCTV showed the defendant twice lunge towards Mr Sheriff�s phone but he was not successful. The fatal attack occurred seconds after."

That would be so sad if true.
    11-10-12 04:15 AM
    its a shame a life sentence is not for life...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-10-12 04:24 AM
    its a shame a life sentence is not for life...

I think he would've got off easier if he pleaded guilty, but pleading self defence? Ridiculous.
    11-10-12 04:48 AM
    amjass12: actually in the UK a life sentence does mean life. However there is a tarriff attached to the sentence which is a minimum someone must serve before they can be considered for parole.

The prisoner must then submit a request to the parole board once they reach their tarriff point, undergo all the necessary reports on behaviour in prison, likelihood of reoffending etc etc. the parole board will then decide if that person is fit to be released. If not they have to sit in prison for another year and go through the process once more. And on and on until they eventually decide to release that person which may be never.

If a prisoner is successful at the parole board they will be released on 'life license' which means for the rest of their life they will be monitored by police and probation services, have to attend regular appointments with their probation officer, live under restricted movement conditions if that is deamed to be necessary.

A lifer can be hauled back into prison at any time if they are considered a threat to society and if they commit even a minor traffic offence they will end up back inside.

So a life sentence does mean a life sentence. A tariff is simply how long they must serve in prison before they can be considered for release into the world under tight conditions.

If you have a problem with the tariff then blame the judges, they are the ones who set those. The law overall states murder is a mandatory life sentence.
    11-10-12 04:56 AM
    @nikki g..

i live in the uk and i know what a life sentence is... i still maintain... like my previous post said... its a shame life is not life... parole and supervision is not life.... its insulting to the victim

11-10-12 06:28 AM
    @nikki g..

i live in the uk and i know what a life sentence is... i still maintain... like my previous post said... its a shame life is not life... parole and supervision is not life.... its insulting to the victim

Let's not argue about that, it is what it is.
    11-10-12 06:54 AM
    Good! People need to realize the consequences of their actions.

I just came across something disturbing, was this just about phones? I mean there were a lot of iphone owners at the party some gloating.

�A witness heard an argument between the defendant and Mr Sheriff which appeared to be related to the phone.

�CCTV showed the defendant twice lunge towards Mr Sheriff�s phone but he was not successful. The fatal attack occurred seconds after."

That would be so sad if true.
    Really?!? Did you really have to try to go there? Not every BlackBerry or iPhone owner has the "my phone is better than yours" fanboy mentality you know. Do you really seriously think they were arguing over a phone?!? Smh
    Judge Worsley told Charles: "Mr Sherriff may have pushed you in a crowded bar and made inoffensive remarks to a girl talking to you.

This is from the link at the bottom of the page you posted:

"You clearly became annoyed at what you perceived was the conduct of Mr Sherriff and lost your temper when he may have pushed against you at the bar."
    11-10-12 09:36 AM
    Good! People need to realize the consequences of their actions.

Really?!? Did you really have to try to go there? Not every BlackBerry or iPhone owner has the "my phone is better than yours" fanboy mentality you know. Do you really seriously think they were arguing over a phone?!? Smh
    Judge Worsley told Charles: "Mr Sherriff may have pushed you in a crowded bar and made inoffensive remarks to a girl talking to you.

This is from the link at the bottom of the page you posted:

"You clearly became annoyed at what you perceived was the conduct of Mr Sherriff and lost your temper when he may have pushed against you at the bar."
    Did you watch the video? Here's clearly trying to knock the phone out of his hand. And i was at the party and i did get the "these are all crap, my iphone is so much beter" while standing beside the demo phones stand. It could've started over something stupid as that, which would be sad.
    11-10-12 09:44 AM
    Did you watch the video? Here's clearly trying to knock the phone out of his hand. And i was at the party and i did get the "these are all crap, my iphone is so much beter" while standing beside the demo phones stand. It could've started over something stupid as that, which would be sad.
    Yes I did. In fact it looks like the poor guy was on the phone at the time.

If you read through the article, this was written - Judge Worsley told Charles: "Mr Sherriff may have pushed you in a crowded bar and made inoffensive remarks to a girl talking to you. BBC News - Jessie J event stabbing: Man guilty of bottle murder

The way it likely went down was Sherriff was on the phone after this, Charles came up to him and probably said something along the lines of "hey get off the phone I want to talk to you" and when he didn't, he tried to grab the phone away from him and the whole unfortunate incident happened.

I'm not getting into this with you. Someone died here and you're using this story to take the chance to say something that could be perceived as inflammatory. Get real man.
    reeneebob likes this.
    11-10-12 09:59 AM
    Yes I did. In fact it looks like the poor guy was on the phone at the time.

If you read through the article, this was written - Judge Worsley told Charles: "Mr Sherriff may have pushed you in a crowded bar and made inoffensive remarks to a girl talking to you. BBC News - Jessie J event stabbing: Man guilty of bottle murder

The way it likely went down was Sherriff was on the phone after this, Charles came up to him and probably said something along the lines of "hey get off the phone I want to talk to you" and when he didn't, he tried to grab the phone away from him and the whole unfortunate incident happened.

I'm not getting into this with you. Someone died here and you're using this story to take the chance to say something that could be perceived as inflammatory. Get real man.
    Calm down, nothing inflammatory, I'm just saying it could've been the spark to the incident, in which case it would be extremely sad and stupid.
    11-10-12 10:07 AM
    Wow, an argument on which phone is better? That is very sad how modern society is going. In 20 years, I'm sure we'll see people stabbing each other because the other guy crossed the road first....

Really sad and hope the accused is totally ****** by authorities.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.714 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    11-10-12 12:36 PM
    Amjass: then it's an issue that needs to be taken up with judges and them pushed to make the tariff equal life.

The law is quite clear, murder = life sentence.

The judges however are the ones who need to be pushed to make it mean that.
    11-10-12 12:49 PM
    Wow, an argument on which phone is better? That is very sad how modern society is going. In 20 years, I'm sure we'll see people stabbing each other because the other guy crossed the road first....

Really sad and hope the accused is totally ****** by authorities.

The only one claiming this was over a phone was the OP, using anecdotal evidence that he was allegedly "at the party" and was 'harassed over his phone' which I really doubt (I don't remember ever seeing that fact previously mentioned when this case has been discussed on the board before). I wouldn't also jump to that same conclusion considering the claimant. I wouldn't take the word of the OP as to motive over, you know, the judge who actually heard the evidence.

I've got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk 2
    11-10-12 01:13 PM
    Yes, but it could be a possibility. It can be pissing off when people just don't shut up (doesn't mean you go and stab them)

11-10-12 01:23 PM
    Yes, but it could be a possibility. It can be pissing off when people just don't shut up (doesn't mean you go and stab them)

Again, the judge stated what started it. It was about a girl and a shove against the bar. I have seen people try to knock something out of someone's hand (in this case a phone) to antagonize and get their attention. Doesnt mean it was about the phone.

Considering it was already said what it was about in the testimony, the fact that anyone is even trying to say it was really about what phone is better is stupid at best, and irresponsible at worst.

11-10-12 01:30 PM

That's all I'm saying, the video shows the killer trying to knock the phone out of his hand repeatedly and there's a witness statement about them arguing over the phone for whatever reason. Rennebob probably can't read that since she has me on ignore.

And no, I was not harrased and I never said I was, I just happened to stand beside the demo stand when the guy made the comment, I did not respond to him.

Now, Rennebob probably doesn't even believe I was there, do I have to post photos to prove it?
    11-10-12 01:30 PM
    Again, the judge stated what started it. It was about a girl and a shove against the bar. I have seen people try to knock something out of someone's hand (in this case a phone) to antagonize and get their attention. Doesnt mean it was about the phone.

Considering it was already said what it was about in the testimony, the fact that anyone is even trying to say it was really about what phone is better is stupid at best, and irresponsible at worst.

Witness statement Reeneebob, did you not read it?

11-10-12 01:31 PM
    [warn] Discuss the topic, NOT other members.

There are some who are starting to show a clear pattern of harassment. The fact that both combatants are stalking and harassing each other simply makes our decision easier. It is not a decision moderators like taking but we WILL put the wider benefit of the site ahead of petty personal squabbles.[/warn]
    Do not flame, insult or post personal attacks against other users. Be courteous, not rude. Any instances or reports of harassment of members will be treated seriously. CrackBerry.com has a zero tolerance policy against this kind of behavior, which may result with an immediate temporary or permanent ban at moderators' discretion.
    sputneek likes this.
    11-10-12 04:34 PM
    Its sad that people can lose their lives over such petty things. I'm sure the defendent probably wishes he could turn back time but what's done is done and he has to pay. My heart goes out to the family of the victim and the defendent. This is tragic all the way around and just goes to show that ego's and alchohol don't mix. What a shame.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    11-10-12 04:47 PM
27 12