Our company is running Exchange Server 2003. No BES. Several users have blackberries set up to receive work e-mail using the Outlook Web Access function. Our spam filter tags any incoming spam with [SPAM] in the subject field. Then we created rules in Outlook that sends any incoming mail tagged with [SPAM] to the Junk Mail folder. One user is having a problem with this rule where these messages are still going to her Blackberry even though they show up in her Junk Mail folder in Outlook. The rule set up in Outlook works for every other Blackberry user in the company as they do not receive any messages tagged with [SPAM] on their phones. I have verified that the rule set up for the user is in fact server side, not client side. I have tried recreating the rule for her, adding a different rule, etc. She has other rules set up that are similar that forward incoming e-mails to specific folders and these do not show up on her blackberry, which is how we want the rule to act. I have searched everywhere for a solution but haven't had any luck. Does anyone have any suggestions what to try so that this rule will work for the user and she does not receive anything marked as [SPAM] on her phone? Thanks....
    01-06-10 06:55 PM
    Is this happening on all new rules for her account?

Let's work it backwards. First make a back up of all of her rules just in case. Can you create a new folder and create a rule to have the [SPAM] tagged email go to that folder? Does that work?

What happens if you take one of her existing rules and modify it for the [SPAM] and junk mail folder?
    01-06-10 07:53 PM
    Is this user a "newly" BB activated user? By this I mean, was their work email just recently added to the BIS plan they have whereas the older BB users have had their email accounts associated with BIS for a long time?

Where I am going with this is that a while ago there were some changes applied to BIS via the 2.x upgrade that affected how emails were being picked up by the BIS server via the OWA conduits.

If this is a user that's had their BIS tied into their work email for alonger time then the other users, then delete the email account off BIS and add it back in. This should fix the issue. If the converse is true, then take one of the other users (as a test) and delete their email account out of their BIS and add it back in. If the old user all of a sudden starts behaving like this other user (they get the email regardless), then you know where your issue is and it's not going to go away unless you change the way you handle SPAM emails.

Also, if other rules redirect incoming mail to subfolders and those emails are in fact kept off the BB itself (as it should because of the polling time delay between the BIS servers and the Exchange server) then there's no reason this SPAM rule shouldn't work... are you sure it works?... can you verify it working actively and properly via Outlook?
    01-06-10 08:07 PM
    I have this problem as well, although I'm not running BIS. Get mail straight off my work email account, but while my spam filter works perfect for my PC, even the culled messages go to my phone.
    01-26-10 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD