So this past week RIM has had several outages that has affected most if not all carriers. Sending IT departments and crackberry addicts into a tisy. But my question is shouldn't they be responsable for alerting its users of any and all outages and mishaps? Now I am not expecting an alert to be sent to my BB but atleast to a work email or corporate IT dept email so that the 'word' gets out. Therefore helping alieve the undue stress placed upon us carckberry addicts, IT Depts, etc.

There isn't one single RIM alerting service out there!

Or is there please let me know....
    04-19-08 10:05 AM
    I agree, there should be something telling us that there is an outage, they could SMS people. I get an email when FEDEX has a disruption in service, why can't (won't) RIM let us know about an outage.
    04-19-08 10:08 AM
    That would be great! But if there is an outage, you wouldn't get the notification.
    04-19-08 10:16 AM
    They can and should notify endusers. They can email or text to any address...again signing up for it with you bb phone whould be pointless but my greater question is : does anyone out there in crackberry land know of a good site or alerting service (RIM or 3rd party) that could let us know when they are down?
    04-19-08 01:02 PM
    I would think getting NO data service is a good clue that there is an outage.
    04-19-08 01:08 PM
    Data Outages I receive email alerts from these guys that are pretty helpful.
    04-19-08 01:25 PM
    THANKS JAyzee! I will give that a try!

And Garz...read my posts! The issue is that when RIM has an outage there is too much wasted time calling around to your carrier, IT (if you use BES) and waiting to see whose issue it is. The point of this post is/was to find any alerting services to CUT out the time wasted.
    04-20-08 09:58 AM
    That is to imply that BlackBerry always knows when an outage will happen or is happening down to the minute. That's like asking me to notify you the next time your power will go out during a storm.
    04-20-08 10:14 AM
    That is to imply that BlackBerry always knows when an outage will happen or is happening down to the minute. That's like asking me to notify you the next time your power will go out during a storm.
    This is not true. What is being asked is not before the fact, but after.

I understand the point- who wants to waste time trying to figure out WHAT the problem is. A simple email or some type of notification; especially to IT- whats wrong with putting the word out that there is an outage.

At the very least, less time would be wasted. For all the user or IT knows, it could be that there own server is down- yet its not them, its RIM!
    04-20-08 10:40 AM
    Not necessarily true. If it's a planned outage, a nice email or text message beforehand would be nice to many, I'm sure.
    04-20-08 12:54 PM
    Data Outages I receive email alerts from these guys that are pretty helpful.

Been using them for about 5 months now and they are +1 in my book....
    04-20-08 01:00 PM
    Not necessarily true. If it's a planned outage, a nice email or text message beforehand would be nice to many, I'm sure.
    Planned or unplanned- somebody should be notified.
    04-20-08 01:02 PM
    There is no reason why an SMS can't be sent
    04-21-08 10:43 AM
    I understand the gripe... I do.

But, to say that you would like a notification after the fact !

One question: How would you get it?

If there is an outage...Unplanned, and they go down, how would you be notified. I guarantee it won't be by e-mail...they are down!

Now, yes, a before hand notification for a planned outage, that would be nice.

msblueline
    04-21-08 12:29 PM
    i use the -= Dataoutages.com =- for email notification.

But another question is...

Would you rather they send out emails, SMS, notices after they find out there is an outage, or would you rather them spend the time and effort to get it fixed ASAP???

Me personally, i'd rather they fix it ASAP..
    04-21-08 12:36 PM
    We have plenty of people that sign up to the BB-Outages list so they get SMS messages of outages and also through gmail accounts or others. If you need assistance signing up with SMS, just send me a PM with the SMS address and I'll manually add you to the list.
    04-21-08 12:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD