Hi,

Recently, I had a long conversation with a friend on the "HUGE" announcement on the loss and cut backs ... Long story short, would BlackBerry be on a "different" path IF.... BlackBerry uses their OS7 with some UI tweaks in a BlackBerry Z10, Q5 or Q10? Just imagine the specs of a Z30, running on OS7?
    09-22-13 01:15 AM
    No, that just won't work. Legacy OS has already been pushed very far, it's pretty much the same core OS dating back from BlackBerry Device Software 4.0
    Mr.mister likes this.
    09-22-13 02:20 AM
    Q10 and my 9930. Can you make your point. PlayBook.
    09-22-13 02:21 AM
    BBOS has needs a separate memory space for apps. BB10 does not.

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on my Qued10 in CB10
    09-22-13 02:24 AM
    Please dnt remind me of the spinning clock of death
    09-22-13 02:29 AM
    Yeah.... now I am counting down to next week's "announcements" or news.... so depressing....a long weekend
    09-22-13 02:37 AM
    BBOS was what was holding them back. You can throw all the hardware in the world at it, but it is at its core over 10 years old and never designed to deal with today's hardware and software demands.
    09-22-13 03:12 AM
    Hi,

Recently, I had a long conversation with a friend on the "HUGE" announcement on the loss and cut backs ... Long story short, would BlackBerry be on a "different" path IF.... BlackBerry uses their OS7 with some UI tweaks in a BlackBerry Z10, Q5 or Q10? Just imagine the specs of a Z30, running on OS7?

BBos7 has been pushed to its limit.

What it does, it does great.

The real problem is, BlackBerry 10 was just to late to market.

BB pondered for to long on when to start from scratch and bring a new, modern platform to the consumer.

We all know how good BlackBerry 10 is, but Apple has set the market trends and in the smartphone game, it's popular apps that are King.

BB and MS are just so far behind that the fickle consumer says:

" If you don't have what I want now, then F@ck you "

You can't win in that environment and so we see BBs demise.

Microsoft have tons of money to burn, so will hang in there and eventually gain enough apps to compete with android and iOS, but to do that the will have to produce "Dirt cheap" Nokia windows phones, and flood the market.

It's a shame BlackBerry cannot compete with the big boys but that's life.

The only hope for them now, is to be acquired by a massive company and then to concentrate on software solutions which they hold the competitive edge in.
    09-22-13 03:45 AM
    BBOS was what was holding them back. You can throw all the hardware in the world at it, but it is at its core over 10 years old and never designed to deal with today's hardware and software demands.
    QNX is 30+ years old and designed to be an imbedded OS, see the difference?
    09-22-13 04:28 AM
    It's like the guy that made the you tube videos on blackberry. Os7 is the slow ish compared to os10. If it is the slow ish you want I guess is os7 is the answer.

Posted from the most powerful smartphone,z10
    09-22-13 06:52 AM
    The difference is, every few years QNX gets an overhaul. BlackBerry 6 was BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 in custom theme, BlackBerry 7.1 was BlackBerry 6 in high resolution screen

Z10 STL100-1/10.1.0.4633
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-22-13 07:17 AM
    Maybe they tried. Maybe that was the big delay getting BB10 out. Maybe first they tried to weld OS7 onto QNX and make it it into this new gesture OS they had envisioned and when they realized it wasn't going to work they started again from scratch.

Posted via CB10
    John Ho likes this.
    09-22-13 07:58 AM
    The difference is, every few years QNX gets an overhaul. BlackBerry 6 was BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 in custom theme, BlackBerry 7.1 was BlackBerry 6 in high resolution screen

Z10 STL100-1/10.1.0.4633
    And they all had ****ty hardware by any standards, they never put anything decent in it.
    09-22-13 09:58 AM
    Using that logic BBOS must be close to 20 years old since Java was first developped in the 90s.
    h20work likes this.
    09-22-13 11:18 AM
    Using that logic BBOS must be close to 20 years old since Java was first developped in the 90s.
    Still younger then QNX lol
    09-22-13 11:24 AM
    Hi,

Hi OP!!! Welcome to CB!

Legacy had been pushed to its absolute end. There was no further development possible. Witness that the newest BB7 device launched with nothing more advanced than 7.1. By the accounts of developers here on the forums (not users, but actual developers and coders) BB7 represented the farthest that BBOS could go.
    09-22-13 11:39 AM
    And they all had ****ty hardware by any standards, they never put anything decent in it.
    The OS was never meant to be for touch in the first place, it was meant for physical keyboard and trackpad (and the track wheel before that, and the stuff before that too). BlackBerry tried to support touch based interface, but failed in many aspects. Even Bold 9900 still has a trackpad.

Z10 STL100-1/10.1.0.4633
    09-22-13 11:58 AM
    The OS was never meant to be for touch in the first place, it was meant for physical keyboard and trackpad (and the track wheel before that, and the stuff before that too). BlackBerry tried to support touch based interface, but failed in many aspects. Even Bold 9900 still has a trackpad.

Z10 STL100-1/10.1.0.4633
    Some would argue the BBOS touch interface is still better then BB10 starting from the miles more customizable home screen with a simple touch and drag of the icon bar, the swipe up to show all icons and swipe down to hide them etc.

The trackpad was sorely missed by many along with all other quick access buttons call/end call/back/menu and convenience buttons and has nothing to do with touch screen interface.
    09-22-13 12:22 PM
    We can all agree that OS7.1 is far more powerful then OS5, which in turn is far more powerful then whatever OS was on the 7290, why are we assuming OS7.1 was the end of the line? Let's see a BBOS device with a strong processor, decent RAM and 16GB of application memory. I bet it would be superb.
    John Ho, h20work and keypad like this.
    09-22-13 12:26 PM
    BBos7 has been pushed to its limit.

What it does, it does great.

The real problem is, BlackBerry 10 was just to late to market.

BB pondered for to long on when to start from scratch and bring a new, modern platform to the consumer.

We all know how good BlackBerry 10 is, but Apple has set the market trends and in the smartphone game, it's popular apps that are King.

BB and MS are just so far behind that the fickle consumer says:

" If you don't have what I want now, then F@ck you "

You can't win in that environment and so we see BBs demise.

Microsoft have tons of money to burn, so will hang in there and eventually gain enough apps to compete with android and iOS, but to do that the will have to produce "Dirt cheap" Nokia windows phones, and flood the market.

It's a shame BlackBerry cannot compete with the big boys but that's life.

The only hope for them now, is to be acquired by a massive company and then to concentrate on software solutions which they hold the competitive edge in.
    Well put!
    09-22-13 12:32 PM
    We can all agree that OS7.1 is far more powerful then OS5, which in turn is far more powerful then whatever OS was on the 7290, why are we assuming OS7.1 was the end of the line? Let's see a BBOS device with a strong processor, decent RAM and 16GB of application memory. I bet it would be superb.
    You really never get tired of repeating the same things, for 6 months now, it's astonishing.
    If you didn't understand what the early earnings report meant, that I may give you a hint, that I gave you a thousand times already:

If BlackBerry fails with their BB10 OS and Hardware, and they are pretty close to it (2-4 quarters until the cash is gone, going solely by that) what do you think happens with BIS and BBOS ? Or if they get bought before?

These are the first things that will go, as they are worthless for a potential buyer and have already failed.
    The only hope for your beloved BBOS is, that BlackBerry is going private.
    But even then, with BlackBerry officially saying that they will re-tier the Z10, we pretty much know that BB10 hardware will soon be sold for cheap enough.

I have no idea, why, everytime when you get the chance, you have to bash BB10 and tell us about the virtues of BBOS.
    It was sad 7 months ago, and it's still sad.

So, everytime when you bash BB10, remember, a failed BlackBerry under BB10 means an even sooner end to the obsolescence called BBOS.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 01:08 PM
    It would definitely be good to see a powerful or reasonably strong hardware to support or to see how far BBOS 7.1 could be pushed..... talking with BlackBerry loyalists a.k.a friends and co-workers, they sure missed the "true push" features, but due to some laggish performance from their old BlackBerry devices, thus they had switched or "upgraded" to OS10 devices....but somehow they feel that it is missing something....

Anyway, let's see how everything rolls out to be ..... what a long weekend
    09-22-13 01:12 PM
    In 2011 maybe but today no.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 01:13 PM
    BBOS on a Z10 or Q10? It would still suck, but it would suck faster and on a nicer screen.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    09-22-13 01:21 PM
    It would definitely be good to see a powerful or reasonably strong hardware to support or to see how far BBOS 7.1 could be pushed..... talking with BlackBerry loyalists a.k.a friends and co-workers, they sure missed the "true push" features, but due to some laggish performance from their old BlackBerry devices, thus they had switched or "upgraded" to OS10 devices....but somehow they feel that it is missing something....

Anyway, let's see how everything rolls out to be ..... what a long weekend
    The problem is most didn't upgrade to BB10, only a very small minority.

I tried upgrading to a 9720 and it's really crap, I considered an iphone but in the end after a few weeks of debating I ordered a Q10, picking it up tomorrow.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    09-22-13 01:28 PM
29 12