Don't you think that the FBI (DOJ) has access to the NSA?
    Nope.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 08:46 AM
    This is a very interesting issue that has been dealt with for a while but only recently is being hashed out. And truly it is two issues: privacy AND security. And they are not the same. Security means nobody gets into your house so you can live how you want; and thus privacy. Privacy means people can come in but they can't see what you have in there. BlackBerry is security. Apple, Google and the remaining cast of characters are privacy but only if invoked by the user. The apple case is proving the point that privacy can very effectively protect you. The apple breaches were the result of the user's lack of taking good privacy measures. This cases proves that the available privacy measures, when utilized, are very effective. And it brings in to question the real necessity for security among the masses.

And this must have been the belief of the corporation that issued this phone as well. They did not opt for for MDM. This is why the government has had to go to Apple to open the phone.

Understanding and agreeing with Apple's (and every manufacturer's) concern , the problem I have is that, at this point, this is largely a forensic Investigation. This phones owner 's privacy won't /can't be compromised. To be able to get a glimpse and understanding as to what happened and how it happened, ithink it's a no brainer that Apple should open this phone and only this phone. A lot of people have been hurt and a lot more deserve to have the opportunity to be protected from another Incident like this.

The concern then would turn to"advance " looking. Soon enough, there would be the request to open the phone a,person to make sure they are not doing anything or to see what they are doing and this CAN NOT be allowed to happen; as then no one would have privacy or security.

And herein lies the problem...........

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 09:41 AM
    onlybuggin, I'll accept your argument that the San Bernardino phone is part of a forensic investigation.

I'm a mechanical engineer, ignorant in the ways of electrons, so my analogies surely suck.

If the information on the phone was analogous to a microdot hidden in a complex, sealed mechanical system that was returned to the manufacturer so that the information could be recovered, I would understand. This would be a one-off retrieval.

However, the information appears to be analogous to a microdot hidden in a complex, sealed, LOCKED mechanical system that was returned...

The DOJ is asking for the master key or that a master key be made. That, IMHO is completely different.

My understanding is that the DOJ is asking Apple to circumvent the automatic lockout after ten password attempts, so that they can have infinite password trials. Most manufacturers and all security professionals understand that such a key is the end of privacy.

Because I am ignorant, I am surprised that having the device in hand that a more "mechanical" approach cannot be applied locally. Sigh, I have much to learn.

Finally, I believe that everyone wants the information in the iPhone to be exposed. The discussion is how can it be done without affecting every other user in the world.
    03-17-16 02:00 PM
    Stoic Engineer we agree. This issue isn't collecting this evidence after the fact. It's then using that ability to gain access to anybody 's at will.

Posted via CB10
    StoicEngineer likes this.
    03-17-16 04:27 PM

For those who didn't see the show BlackBerry is mentioned around the 12 minute mark

Posted via CB10
    03-17-16 05:54 PM
    Because I am ignorant, I am surprised that having the device in hand that a more "mechanical" approach cannot be applied locally. Sigh, I have much to learn.
    It can be. However, it's incredibly risky, and could result in the data becoming permanently inaccessible or destroyed.

How the FBI could use acid and lasers to access data stored on seized iPhone | Ars Technica
    03-17-16 06:22 PM
81 ... 234