My mom is 61 years old - will be 62 next month. She's never done well enough with the d-pad+2 softkeys paradigm of most cell phones. On one side, I've been thinking about a Pearl Flip for her. Clamshell phones are her thing, she loves the red color, and she isn't a big fan of small phones anyway. Plus Mother's Day is coming. On the other side, I wonder if a BlackBerry would be too complex for someone her age. She doesn't do email, just talking and texting, so I'll probably end up getting one outside from T-Mobile so I don't get slammed with a BB data plan that she won't use.

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by CeluGeek; 04-17-09 at 09:47 AM.
    04-17-09 09:36 AM
    If she doesn't use email or web then i would go for a different phone for her. you'll be paying for features and services that are not being utilized.

there are a lot of phones aimed at talk and text that are less complicated!

Flip with big dial pad: Unsupported Browser

Red Flip: Unsupported Browser
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-17-09 at 09:44 AM.
    04-17-09 09:40 AM
    THE fastest growing segment of Internet users are seniors. They retire and then have lots of time on their hands and they end up learning the internet and using it OFTEN. I say go for it, BUT be prepared to answer lots of questions in the beginning, BUT before you know it, she'll be teaching YOU things.
    04-17-09 09:47 AM
    I would love to BBM my Grandma, and get tech support from her! Do it!
    04-17-09 09:50 AM
    right. it depends on the individual.

if it will stress her, don't get it.

if she'll have fun learning and use it more, get it!
    04-17-09 09:52 AM
    I wish. My sister and I have tried for years to get my mom to carry a cell. However she is old school and thinks cell phones are "rude". When I am with her I dont even go near my phone for fear of 'the look'

Plus, a couple years ago she purchased a new cordless phone with answering machine, and she is still half confused in how it works.

However I have seen many folks out and about with BBs whom are 60ish and up
    04-17-09 09:54 AM
    I'm not against getting the BIS plan if she is willing to learn the phone's feature. If she ends up using it as yet another phone, then I don't see the point of getting the data plan.
    04-17-09 09:54 AM
    I wish. My sister and I have tried for years to get my mom to carry a cell. However she is old school and thinks cell phones are "rude". When I am with her I dont even go near my phone for fear of 'the look'

Plus, a couple years ago she purchased a new cordless phone with answering machine, and she is still half confused in how it works.

LOL. yes! my mom doesn't have a cell and doesn't want one.

i see more older folks with knacks than with blackberry phones in my town. our average are is 65.
    04-17-09 09:56 AM

My mom does use a cell phone, mostly for calling. She has a hard time though finding contacts, and I'm the one who has to enter them on the phone for her. If she gets a new text notification she somehow manages to read the message, but if she misses the notification and has to go through the menus to read the message, that's an SMS that will never be read.
    04-17-09 10:11 AM
    out here in so cali every 1 has a bb from 9yrs old to 76 yrs old
    04-17-09 10:13 AM
    LOL. yes! my mom doesn't have a cell and doesn't want one.

i see more older folks with knacks than with blackberry phones in my town. our average are is 65.
    ha. god bless moms. I couldnt even get her to consider a Jitterbug.....which looks about as simple as a PlaySkool phone
    04-17-09 10:18 AM
    My dad is 65 and he loves his blackberry!! When I got my pearl he went out and got one. Then I moved up to the curve he got a curve too. He uses his desktop and he is really into doing stuff on-line. He loves having access to his email and internet on his bb. He always reminds me how nice it is to be able to look up info instantly. Just a couple of weeks ago he was looking to trade in his truck for a SUV. Well while we were in the car dealership he was able to look up the value of his truck on blue book that was much higher than the price they wanted to give him.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 10:26 AM
    I say go for it!
    04-17-09 10:32 AM
    Lol - nice sig Jennifer!

ha. god bless moms. I couldnt even get her to consider a Jitterbug.....which looks about as simple as a PlaySkool phone
    04-17-09 10:33 AM
    Lol - nice sig Jennifer!
    haha thanks! He is so wise
    04-17-09 10:35 AM

Thank you. I am an old timer too.

During the 60 & 70's, we witnessed an explosion in technology, from Rocket Science and Moon landing to our first home computers. Most of us have adapted to technology, some of us have excelled.

The Pearl would be a excellent choice for texting purposes. Many BlackBerrys are used that way exclusivly. Suretype is a huge improvement over texting with a number pad.

04-17-09 10:39 AM
    I work in IT. We have a 60ish team member who won't carry a cell phone..a techie who isn't technical...or even up to date. If he had a cell phone it would probably have a dial.
    04-17-09 10:42 AM
    guys OP already said it will not have a data plan so it wont even be like the blackberry we know,

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Well then there would be no real reason to get a BB without the data plan.
    04-17-09 12:47 PM
    I gave my dad the free blackberry i got, from buy one get one deal for verizon. he had the phone 1 week..when i asked him if he needed help , his response was "i couldn't call your mother so i threw it against the wall and it broke" ..now he is phoneless and payed $175 to cancel his line. fml
    04-17-09 12:52 PM
    You can always get one of the grandchildren to help her with the phone. My niece taught my mom how to text and use custom ringtones and other stuff. They bonded well in the process too.

EDIT:

I gave my dad the free blackberry i got, from buy one get one deal for verizon. he had the phone 1 week..when i asked him if he needed help , his response was "i couldn't call your mother so i threw it against the wall and it broke" ..now he is phoneless and payed $175 to cancel his line. fml
    ROFLMAO!
    04-17-09 01:31 PM
    You can always get one of the grandchildren to help her with the phone. My niece taught my mom how to text and use custom ringtones and other stuff. They bonded well in the process too.

EDIT:

ROFLMAO!
    haha teaching my dad do something, its like teaching a baby how to walk before they turn 1. and im not kidding..lol
    04-17-09 01:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";