CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Blackberry Not Receiving Calls or Texts

Hi all, sorry for this noob question,

but I have been on Mobilicity - a fairly new carrier in Canada - since March of 2011, and have been noticing this problem rarely, but wanted to sound off on this potential issue. On my BB9380, about once every two-three months I wont receive Calls or Texts, even though I can still make both. Incoming calls go straight to voicemail. I have five bars and have 3G + the blackberry symbol. I only know this issue if someone tells me face-to-face, if someone emails me, or if I send a text to myself successfully and dont receive it. I noticed that the cure is turning it off and powering it on again. I have battery pulled before and reset the phone before as well. I have emailed Mobilicity before and they say because the BB is so complicated, it needs that 'soft-boot' which dosent make that much sense.

I'm just wondering is this a blackberry problem, my BB problem, carrier, a bad sim card, or what else could be causing this.

Anyways thanks for the help, I really like this site!

The underlying problem is that for some reason your network is unable to contact the mobile device, so it thinks the phone is unreachable and diverts calls to voicemail. The fact that you can make calls shows it is NOT unreachable. Even if the network loses radio contact it should reattach when the phone finds a cell, any outgoing call should be sufficient to trigger a status refresh at the network. However it appears to need the full connection re-negotiation which follows a reboot before the network can see the phone is active. That tends to suggest a network (carrier) issue which is worked around by a reboot.

One thought... do emails get sent to phone when friends tell you they can't call you, or must you restart the phone before emails arrive?
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry... where only Stupid People fight about Smart Phones
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

My data and emails are unaffected. I get the email straight away from friends normally - telling me they cant contact me, then I restart like I mentioned before. But I think Branta you are confirming my suspicions, I hope the carrier can only get better.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Your problem is super weird. I have been a BB9780 user on Mobilicity since July 2011 and never ever had this issue before. Have you updated your OS at least to the latest version? I know sometimes it can solve issues.

The reason I ask this is the original OS that came with my phone had the data roaming bug. So like when I was roaming, it would still think I'm on the Mobilicity network. As a result, I was dinged for all this data even though the "Data while roaming" setting was set to OFF. The subsequent OS update addressed this and now have experienced no issues for my particular model.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I updated it just a few weeks ago to the latest version. I've updated my phone about four times since I've gotten it. This issue for me seems to get a bit better for me the more times I update, so maybe it is the OS occasionally loosing compatibility with Mobilicity. Never thought of that.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Well I don't know if we can say it's because the OS is losing compatibility with the network.. especially if you're updating with the Mobilicity versions (they test & release it themselves).

Again, not too sure what the cause might be because I've never had it happen to myself. Even so, let's say there's an issue with the network/you lose signal etc. etc., texts should be sent to your phone when everything's resolved. No way it takes a battery pull to initiate this.

If I were you, actually call technical support and tell them what's going on and see if they have any solutions, or if they're able to open a support ticket for you. Their support people are friendly and wait times USUALLY aren't that long. Definitely don't just email them.