I have a question, if I get a Blackberry that doesn't have the name of the carrier on it, and decided to update it, which software would DM route to?
    09-11-10 07:56 PM
    Any one you want. If there is no vendor I'd on the phone, it will take any OS. You may still have to delete the vendor file. Its no different than upgrading a branded phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-10 08:01 PM
    Any one you want. If there is no vendor I'd on the phone, it will take any OS. You may still have to delete the vendor file. Its no different than upgrading a branded phone.

That's if I have the OS installed on my PC and trying to upgrade right?

But what if I just plugged it into DM without any OS installed, which OS would it upgrade to?
    09-12-10 10:53 AM
    That's if I have the OS installed on my PC and trying to upgrade right?

But what if I just plugged it into DM without any OS installed, which OS would it upgrade to?
    it most likeley wouldnt find an update. you need to install on your computer, then to your phone manually.
    09-12-10 11:01 AM
    Oh okay, that kinda makes sense too. Only if RIM routed those devices to get their updates from a specific server.

Thanks
    09-12-10 03:38 PM
    My Curve 8900 is unbranded, sim free and came with 4.6

The first time I connected it and started Dektop Manager it found OS OS 5.0.0.681 and performed the update process seamlessly.

I am not sure where the update originated from - Orange or RIM, but it hasn't added any kind of branding.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by harters; 09-13-10 at 02:54 AM.
    09-13-10 02:51 AM
    Sure wish mine didn't have the telus logo :/

But at least it's still a blackberry I use and love.

09-13-10 10:12 AM
    I would think it would update to your specific carrier's latest available OS, that being determined by your PIN registration. This apparently seems to be the case with harters above, as the latest OS available from Orange for the 8900 is .681.
    09-13-10 12:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD