Hey everyone, Im new here and heard a lot of great support in Crackberry.

Im thinking of getting my first Blackberry but cant seem to decide, so was hoping to get some advice. My husband is paying for it, so I guess budget isnt a biggie. Heehee.

Basically Im looking for a good sturdy phone with a very good camera. I travel a lot for work so taking photos of the places I go to are important to me. My husband suggested the Galaxy S4 as it has a 13 megapixel camera, but I prefer Blackberry as I need push email. I also plan to use it to stay in touch through Facebook and Twitter.

I dont really need a lot of apps but do need the basic ones. Since my line of work is related to photography, Id need Instagram and Vine for starters. I have Evernote and Dropbox on my PC so Id need those too. Also need Skype, Netflix, Pandora, and Whatsapp. Im not fond of games but Candy Crush would be really nice.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    08-17-13 10:14 AM
    Get a BB Z10 is awesome.

BB Z10 Rocks!
    08-17-13 10:20 AM

Im thinking of getting my first Blackberry but cant seem to decide, so was hoping to get some advice. My husband is paying for it, so I guess budget isnt a biggie. Heehee.

Basically Im looking for a good sturdy phone with a very good camera. I travel a lot for work so taking photos of the places I go to are important to me. My husband suggested the Galaxy S4 as it has a 13 megapixel camera, but I prefer Blackberry as I need push email. I also plan to use it to stay in touch through Facebook and Twitter.

I dont really need a lot of apps but do need the basic ones. Since my line of work is related to photography, Id need Instagram and Vine for starters. I have Evernote and Dropbox on my PC so Id need those too. Also need Skype, Netflix, Pandora, and Whatsapp. Im not fond of games but Candy Crush would be really nice.

Hello!

Welcome to the forums! You know, I'm not a tech expert, but I will try to answer your questions as best I can. I have a Q10, so I will answer as best I can based on my own experiences.

With regards to the camera, the Z10/Q10 takes amazing photos. There is also a time share/shutter mode where the camera takes multiple shots at once; then you can swipe forwards or backwards in time and find the exact pose/smile/scene you want; then save the photo like that. I love it! Also, you can take videos and there's ways to send photos through BBM, SMS/MMS and email. (sometimes, the leaks downloaded from the OS that are released periodically may glitch up sending photos; but they are working on this)

With regards to having a sturdy phone, both BB 10 devices (Z10, Q10 - not sure about the Q5's back case) have sturdy backs. Also, if you purchase a case with more "grip," dropping the phone will be less of a worry. Also, I'd suggest getting a screen protector; just in case the phone does get dropped.

If you travel a lot, I cannot stress enough the convenience of having a BlackBerry 10 device. The Z10 and Q10's battery does come out, so if your phone dies while you're en route and you can't (or don't want to) charge the phone, swap it for a spare battery, and you're good to go. With regards to battery life, my Q10 can go a day and-a-half or more before it gets to 20% or so; and it's around that time when I do charge it. But it's very good on battery (my experience), and it of course depends on how much browsing, apps, and your everyday use of the phone.

With regards to apps, this is where you might have an issue. BlackBerry 10 is new, so there are not a flipload of apps for it; like there are with Apple and Android. I'm not a huge app expert, but my phone does have Dropbox. Other BlackBerry devices have WhatsApp, but I'm not sure if BB 10 has it. A quick Google search (or go to BlackBerry World's website, which is their app universe) and seeing what they have to offer would be a good idea.

I'm not saying that you should get a BlackBerry device. I can only really talk in detail about that because that is the only platform I have ever used as far as smartphones go (but I have done lots of research on the Nokia Lumia 900, but now its upgraded cousins are around ). Good luck finding your new phone! Take care!
    08-17-13 10:30 AM
    Omg you're kidding right

Posted via my white Z10. LG banter- blackberry bold 9900- Z10
    08-17-13 10:30 AM
    If you actually rely on Instagram and Vine, I am not sure whether I'd recommend a BB10 device or not. Most legacy OS devices (9900,9810,9790,...) are out of the question. The problem with those apps are, they are not *officially* available for BlackBerry. You'd have to sideload them, while most people say sideloading is working just good enough, I tend to disagree. Some apps run slower, causing problems and may have some faults in turns of usability. Instagram for example has problems commenting on photos, on the BlackBerry Q10, the filter buttons are messed up etc. Last but not least once there is a new version out, you can't simply update it, you'll need to convert and sideload the new version.

So this solution is basicly more of a workaround than anything else. For example I like Tumblr a lot, there is no official Tumblr app for BB. So I sideloaded it. It runs sluggish, it saves random pictures all the time which I can't delete, it crashes rather often. To make it short: It is not really a pleasure to use it, but it still is good enough as a workaround for stuff the browser version can't do problerly.

There are no official words regarding Instagram or Vine for BB10 and nobody really knows when we'll get official apps for those services.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    nessiedavis likes this.
    08-17-13 10:50 AM
    Hello!

Welcome to the forums! You know, I'm not a tech expert, but I will try to answer your questions as best I can. I have a Q10, so I will answer as best I can based on my own experiences.

With regards to the camera, the Z10/Q10 takes amazing photos. There is also a time share/shutter mode where the camera takes multiple shots at once; then you can swipe forwards or backwards in time and find the exact pose/smile/scene you want; then save the photo like that. I love it! Also, you can take videos and there's ways to send photos through BBM, SMS/MMS and email. (sometimes, the leaks downloaded from the OS that are released periodically may glitch up sending photos; but they are working on this)

With regards to having a sturdy phone, both BB 10 devices (Z10, Q10 - not sure about the Q5's back case) have sturdy backs. Also, if you purchase a case with more "grip," dropping the phone will be less of a worry. Also, I'd suggest getting a screen protector; just in case the phone does get dropped.

If you travel a lot, I cannot stress enough the convenience of having a BlackBerry 10 device. The Z10 and Q10's battery does come out, so if your phone dies while you're en route and you can't (or don't want to) charge the phone, swap it for a spare battery, and you're good to go. With regards to battery life, my Q10 can go a day and-a-half or more before it gets to 20% or so; and it's around that time when I do charge it. But it's very good on battery (my experience), and it of course depends on how much browsing, apps, and your everyday use of the phone.

With regards to apps, this is where you might have an issue. BlackBerry 10 is new, so there are not a flipload of apps for it; like there are with Apple and Android. I'm not a huge app expert, but my phone does have Dropbox. Other BlackBerry devices have WhatsApp, but I'm not sure if BB 10 has it. A quick Google search (or go to BlackBerry World's website, which is their app universe) and seeing what they have to offer would be a good idea.

I'm not saying that you should get a BlackBerry device. I can only really talk in detail about that because that is the only platform I have ever used as far as smartphones go (but I have done lots of research on the Nokia Lumia 900, but now its upgraded cousins are around ). Good luck finding your new phone! Take care!
    Wow thanks this is really helpful! I think the Z10 sounds like a great choice!

I don't really need tons of apps, my husband downloads dozens of apps on his iPhone5 and hardly uses any of them LOL. I do however need all those apps I mentioned, especially Instagram, Vine, Skype and Netflix. I don't really need BBM, but Whatsapp is imperative.

It's great to hear the camera on the Z10 is good, is it also 13 megapixels?

It's also encouraging to hear the battery can be removed and replaced with a new one!
    08-17-13 10:59 AM
    If you actually rely on Instagram and Vine, I am not sure whether I'd recommend a BB10 device or not. Most legacy OS devices (9900,9810,9790,...) are out of the question. The problem with those apps are, they are not *officially* available for BlackBerry. You'd have to sideload them, while most people say sideloading is working just good enough, I tend to disagree. Some apps run slower, causing problems and may have some faults in turns of usability. Instagram for example has problems commenting on photos, on the BlackBerry Q10, the filter buttons are messed up etc. Last but not least once there is a new version out, you can't simply update it, you'll need to convert and sideload the new version.

So this solution is basicly more of a workaround than anything else. For example I like Tumblr a lot, there is no official Tumblr app for BB. So I sideloaded it. It runs sluggish, it saves random pictures all the time which I can't delete, it crashes rather often. To make it short: It is not really a pleasure to use it, but it still is good enough as a workaround for stuff the browser version can't do problerly.

There are no official words regarding Instagram or Vine for BB10 and nobody really knows when we'll get official apps for those services.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    Oh my, I was really hoping I could get Instagram and Vine so I can post some of my work. Thanks for the tip, is Skype available though? I also forgot to mention I use a Starbucks app on my current phone, an aging iPhone3G, is that also available on Blackberry?

I'm not very technical, what do you mean by side load? Is it very complicated to do?
    08-17-13 11:05 AM
    Wow thanks this is really helpful! I think the Z10 sounds like a great choice!

I don't really need tons of apps, my husband downloads dozens of apps on his iPhone5 and hardly uses any of them LOL. I do however need all those apps I mentioned, especially Instagram, Vine, Skype and Netflix. I don't really need BBM, but Whatsapp is imperative.
    As stated before if those apps are absolutely essential to you, you really have to at least consider other options OR learn how to sideload (for now, hopefully the will be native in the future)

It's great to hear the camera on the Z10 is good, is it also 13 megapixels?
    No. The front is 2mp the rear is 8mp
    08-17-13 11:15 AM

OP, your husband happens to be right. As for your need for "push email", all smartphones can do push email equally well nowadays.

The Galaxy S4 Active, a ruggedized version of the S4, is a phone that seems to fit your stated needs perfectly. Here's a review.

Side note: One of the most maligned occupations here on CrackBerry (an opinion which I do not share BTW) is that of a store sales rep. In countless threads the store rep is criticized for not listening to the customers' needs and tries to sell other phones because of an agenda. OP, I'm warning you that the same thing will be happening in this thread. Big kudos to those posters who actually read your requirements and didn't try to push a phone that just didn't hit a lot of your criteria.
    imz likes this.
    08-17-13 11:47 AM
    Based on the information, you should go with an S4, note 2, HTC one, Nexus 4, etc

Or..

You could get the new Nokia phone with a 41mp camera. But that's a gamble, as they say instagram is "in the works"

I wouldn't waste my time *sideloading* that's a cute word for STEALING
    Morty2264 likes this.
    08-17-13 11:56 AM
    Oh my, I was really hoping I could get Instagram and Vine so I can post some of my work. Thanks for the tip, is Skype available though? I also forgot to mention I use a Starbucks app on my current phone, an aging iPhone3G, is that also available on Blackberry?

I'm not very technical, what do you mean by side load? Is it very complicated to do?
    As already said, it kind of works, many people around here use Instagram on their BB10 phones, but it simply doesn't deliver the very same experience you'll get from iPhone or Android powered devices. Skype however is officially available, your Starbucks app is not, though it might work as a sideload.

Sideloading is not that complicated, however it is not as easy as opening your App Store, search the app, hit download and there you go. Here you'll have a small how-to guide from Crackberry, telling you about one of the simplest sideloading methods:
    Sideload Android apps to your BlackBerry 10 device using Google Chrome | CrackBerry.com
    Basicly all of the new BB10 phones can run Android apps.

As for other options, you might actually want to take a look at the new Nokia Lumia 1020, which especially aims at photographs on-the-go. I am not sure though whether all those apps you mentioned are available for the Windows Phone plattform.
    08-17-13 11:56 AM
    As already said, it kind of works, many people around here use Instagram on their BB10 phones, but it simply doesn't deliver the very same experience you'll get from iPhone or Android powered devices. Skype however is officially available, your Starbucks app is not, though it might work as a sideload.

Sideloading is not that complicated, however it is not as easy as opening your App Store, search the app, hit download and there you go. Here you'll have a small how-to guide from Crackberry, telling you about one of the simplest sideloading methods:
    Sideload Android apps to your BlackBerry 10 device using Google Chrome | CrackBerry.com
    Basicly all of the new BB10 phones can run Android apps.

As for other options, you might actually want to take a look at the new Nokia Lumia 1020, which especially aims at photographs on-the-go. I am not sure though whether all those apps you mentioned are available for the Windows Phone plattform.
    Not, sideloaded Starbucks app does not work. Learning to sideloaded apps is not difficult, but some converted apps do not work (i.e., Starbucks, Bank of America etc.) I think to avoid a bad experience with the apps you really need, the S4 would be a better choice.
    08-17-13 01:25 PM
    While I personally enjoy leaks and sideloading can't say I would reccomend it to somebody right out of the box. That would be your option if you chose a BB10 phone. You hit a nerve on your selection of apps, pretty much all the ones that are holding back BB10 as a platform. While I have discovered a whole new world with the Z10 camera and my sideloaded Instagram, tough to reccomend to somebody I don't know and wouldn't be able to help. I can reccomend an incredible OS with great native features like the keyboard, BBM, Dropbox integration with remote file share, and for all your pics, Storymaker.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    Mecca EL and eddy_berry like this.
    08-17-13 02:04 PM
    I use Instagram on my Z10. I can follow all my friends and post to FaceBook, like everyone pictures. Never use the filters and the comments bug is not an issue to me, so its great for me.

Posted using the Diva's Z
    08-17-13 05:53 PM
    The company is on the verge of disappearing. And second hand bb prices r falling on kajiji. Don't buy a new one.
    Have u looked at all the android options?
    Moto x could be a good choice for u.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 02:23 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry! The Z10 is a great device. Had mine since March and love it.
    08-18-13 09:12 AM
    I recommend getting a gs4 active for the things you want to do with your phone

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 09:32 AM
    As much as I'd love to recommend the Z10, I don't think you'd be fully happy with it. It's an amazing phone no doubt, but it lacks the apps you are asking for. Sorry

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    08-18-13 12:43 PM
    BlackBerry Z10 an amazing phone but presently it wouldn't fulfil ur app requirements......

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Z10
    08-18-13 01:30 PM
    You qualify as a clueless consumer so an Macintosh phone is right up your street!
    08-18-13 01:38 PM
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses- you guys are the best!

I did have the opportunity to play around with a friend's Z10 earlier and it is indeed a sturdy, handsome looking phone. I was totally lost in navigating through the screens though, I guess if I end up getting it I'll have a learning curve to deal with.

I'll be able to play around with my friend's Galaxy S4 later and will check this out too. It's a bit disappointing that most of the apps that I need are not available on BB World, I tried out the link that someone pointed out to me and it is indeed disappointing.

Will post back tomorrow once I've settled on a final choice!
    08-19-13 12:36 PM
    The company is on the verge of disappearing. And second hand bb prices r falling on kajiji. Don't buy a new one.
    Have u looked at all the android options?
    Moto x could be a good choice for u.

Posted via CB10
    Omg. Seriously. Jeez. And u base this in what knowledge ?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.xxxx - BerryLeaks Team Member/co-Founder & posted from the best phone ever. Our new app. http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...countrycode=CA
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-19-13 12:57 PM
    As to ur needs. Yes. With all the apps that u need to have then I'd suggest the Sony or s4. Unfortunately at moment. Those art native to BlackBerry 10 yet. Except for whatsapp. Which is and works great. And skype does too

Good luck. And welcome to CB

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.xxxx - BerryLeaks Team Member/co-Founder & posted from the best phone ever. Our new app. http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...countrycode=CA
    08-19-13 01:00 PM
    Hello, OP! Please let us know what device you end up getting! What does your husband say about the phones you're considering?

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 10:03 AM
    The z10 can do everything you want, but it sounds like you might do better with a Samsung. It will lag after a couple months and be very inefficient as a messenger right out of the gate, but it does have Vine and whatnot.
    08-20-13 12:01 PM
37 12