Look I understand that as a user of OS 10 we are in the minority, but BlackBerry keeps marketing to the commercial side for handsets. Yet walks away from BlackBerry Link? I have brought this up many times with our company rep from BlackBerry, and he too can't understand it.

So software company.........fix your software.............if not stop posting it on your web site and take down the advertising for the OS 10 phones that tout Link as well.

That's my rant..................oh well onto the important stuff......................hockey!

WOOF!
    FF22 and IndianTiwari like this.
    01-10-17 12:14 PM
    For 'software' company read 'Android' company
    01-10-17 12:15 PM
    LOL............that gets a WOOF!
    01-10-17 12:16 PM
    BlackBerry keeps marketing to the commercial side for handsets
    I didn't think anyone ever accused BlackBerry of marketing.

Most would say they haven't done ANY marketing in years.
    01-10-17 01:21 PM
    Android is just a side business at this point to support their side business of Brand Licensing...

BlackBerry the "software" company is really more interested in some very niche software markets.... Enterprise Security (in a few areas), Automotive and Server Side IoT. So you can't really say ALL Software is within their domain.

OP issue with LINK, is more an example of an unprofitable software area they have pulled out... can't keep spending money on something they aren't making money on. He just doesn't want to face that BB10 and the "software" that supports it is pretty much EOL. When you have a software package like LINK that isn't officially supported on Windows 10... it's EOL, even if they haven't said it.

As for BlackBerry and marketing... didn't know they were, but anyone dealing with BlackBerry should have an understanding of where BB10 is.
    Uzi likes this.
    01-10-17 01:23 PM
    Link needs to be maintained for Windows 10. I can't imagine it would be difficult or expensive to do, and it is an integral part of BB10. Not supporting Link = not supporting BB10.

This is qualitatively different than not supporting apps. The whole OS is not robust without Link.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-17 01:24 PM
    Link needs to be maintained for Windows 10. I can't imagine it would be difficult or expensive to do, and it is an integral part of BB10. Not supporting Link = not supporting BB10.

This is qualitatively different than not supporting apps. The whole OS is not robust without Link.

Posted via CB10
    which is pretty much what has been concluded. BB10 is nowhere close to a priority at all and is pretty much unsupported.
    01-10-17 01:31 PM
    Blackberry has been making some funny moves lately. No doubt there is potential profit in their ideas but they are jumping on the tail end of everything trying to pick up scraps while marketing it as innovative and new. I wish somehow they ended up in bed with MS rather than Google although I do understand why this didn't happen.
    A QNX infotainment system with MS continuum allowing me to run my Qualcom 835 powered windows 10 device with BB hub and security directly on my car head unit would be awesome. X86 full featured programs rather than silly apps and a device that can truly replace EVERY device without ever leaving my pocket.
    01-10-17 01:38 PM
    I didn't think anyone ever accused BlackBerry of marketing.

Most would say they haven't done ANY marketing in years.
    I stand corrected................LOL...............you SIR get a WOOF!
    01-10-17 02:47 PM
    Android is just a side business at this point to support their side business of Brand Licensing...

BlackBerry the "software" company is really more interested in some very niche software markets.... Enterprise Security (in a few areas), Automotive and Server Side IoT. So you can't really say ALL Software is within their domain.

OP issue with LINK, is more an example of an unprofitable software area they have pulled out... can't keep spending money on something they aren't making money on. He just doesn't want to face that BB10 and the "software" that supports it is pretty much EOL. When you have a software package like LINK that isn't officially supported on Windows 10... it's EOL, even if they haven't said it.

As for BlackBerry and marketing... didn't know they were, but anyone dealing with BlackBerry should have an understanding of where BB10 is.
    You are right 100 percent..............it just frosts me to look on line and poof their it is...........................they need to man up and take it down. My sales rep for my company and I have a great relationship, we still buy many products. I just want them to be upfront on their web site.
    01-10-17 02:50 PM
    which is pretty much what has been concluded. BB10 is nowhere close to a priority at all and is pretty much unsupported.
    You are right..........................I just the web site to be the same way.
    01-10-17 02:51 PM
    I just want them to be upfront on their web site.
    BB likely has $20+M (retail) of remaining BB10 inventory, and they hope to sell it off before its value reaches zero. Officially admitting that BB10 is (and has been) finished would instantly halve (or worse) the value of that inventory. And BB just isn't big enough to justify throwing away that much money just to offer clarity.

An announcement would also activate a big wave of anger, disappointment, and ridicule, while allowing people to figure it out on their own means that emotion is spread out and dissipated over time and distance.

BB isn't counting on a smartphone future, so they aren't worried about lost sales from people who are likely to be upset by this - they accept that you will move on to another company's products and have made their peace with that.

The customers of their current and future products know the situation and aren't likely to hold it against them. So, the math is pretty straightforward.
    01-10-17 04:16 PM
    BB likely has $20+M (retail) of remaining BB10 inventory, and they hope to sell it off before its value reaches zero.
    Where did that number come from?
    01-10-17 04:33 PM
    BB likely has $20+M (retail) of remaining BB10 inventory, and they hope to sell it off before its value reaches zero. Officially admitting that BB10 is (and has been) finished would instantly halve (or worse) the value of that inventory. And BB just isn't big enough to justify throwing away that much money just to offer clarity.
    The difference between the current retail price to the price a year or two ago *should* be (more or less) the amount already written off. The amount of write-off also varies by region and by model. One thing is clear - the write-down of their PRIV...their one and only 'true' BlackBerry Android product...has been a far steeper and more precipitous price drop than that of any of their BB10 products. If I recall correctly, the price of the Classic, now discontinued but still available in some markets, has not changed since release. So I think your diminution of the value of their BB10 product line, in this case loss of value...as usual, is greatly exaggerated.
    01-10-17 05:14 PM
    Where did that number come from?
    Off the top of my head (or my butt, if you prefer). If you figure an average price of $400, that would only be 50,000 phones - though my rough assumption was approx. 100,000 phones (between all models of BB10 either at BB or with distributes/retailers). It's probably a reasonable guess, though it could be fewer.

The difference between the current retail price to the price a year or two ago *should* be (more or less) the amount already written off.
    No doubt that there has been a write-down already - I'm talking about current value TODAY vs. value the day after they announce BB10 is finished. Unless you believe current value is near-zero (I don't), then there's going to be a loss if they make that announcement - and why lose that value?
    01-10-17 08:14 PM
    An announcement would also activate a big wave of anger, disappointment, and ridicule, while allowing people to figure it out on their own means that emotion is spread out and dissipated over time and distance.
    If they even get there.
    01-10-17 08:28 PM

What exactly is their "Enterprise " business? Seems that it's now Good Technology , BlackBerry has lost its way from being an innovator, it's now an assimilator Mr.Chen has diluted the Brand in every sense of the word. "BlackBerry. , the company formerly known as Research in Motion, now know as a Shadow of BlackBerry "

Android BlackBerry
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-10-17 08:35 PM
    What exactly is their "Enterprise " business?
    Android BlackBerry
    The Good aquisition and subsequent merging of the technologies and tools into BlackBerry Secure, the BlackBerry Enterprise Mobility Suite, BlackBerry Workspaces, AtHoc, IoT (tracking/radar, updating, automotive, etc), SecureSuite, BlackBerry Enterprise/Work/Share/Connect, BlackBerry Android licencing, Android App Suite, Autonomous Auto, etc, etc. seems like a solid software portfolio.

This was put together through acquisition and internal development. The various technologies had to be merged together which is no small task either.
    eshropshire and Greened like this.
    01-10-17 08:57 PM
    The Good aquisition and subsequent merging of the technologies and tools into BlackBerry Secure, the BlackBerry Enterprise Mobility Suite, BlackBerry Workspaces, AtHoc, IoT (tracking/radar, updating, automotive, etc), SecureSuite, BlackBerry Enterprise/Work/Share/Connect, BlackBerry Android licencing, Android App Suite, Autonomous Auto, etc, etc. seems like a solid software portfolio.

This was put together through acquisition and internal development. The various technologies had to be merged together which is no small task either.
    That's NOT innovative. Sorry... fail...

Android BlackBerry
    01-10-17 09:24 PM
    That's NOT innovative. Sorry... fail...

Android BlackBerry
    Holy smokes, you are a tough critic. They have arguably built the best cross-platform EMM solution in the world, with award winning security as reported by Gartner. They are in on the ground floor of Autonomous automobiles with a new facility being built, and have a major play in IoT and auto.

I know some people who work at BlackBerry, and they have some world class developers working on bleeding edge technology.
    Greened, stlabrat and eshropshire like this.
    01-10-17 09:30 PM
    No doubt that there has been a write-down already - I'm talking about current value TODAY vs. value the day after they announce BB10 is finished. Unless you believe current value is near-zero (I don't), then there's going to be a loss if they make that announcement - and why lose that value?
    You are claiming that BlackBerry would stand to lose half the value on their remaining BB10 devices if they were to declare BB10 EOL. That is the part I consider an exaggeration; there is no evidence of a co-relation between device pricing and the quality of OS support being offered by BlackBerry. BB10 device pricing remains relatively stable despite BB10 'support' being reduced to what even the fiercest die-hards would call lip service. The write-down on the Android Priv, by comparison, is >40% after barely one year, despite the fact BlackBerry Android is still extremely well supported.
    01-10-17 09:42 PM
    Holy smokes, you are a tough critic. They have arguably built the best cross-platform EMM solution in the world, with award winning security as reported by Gartner. They are in on the ground floor of Autonomous automobiles with a new facility being built, and have a major play in IoT and auto.

I know some people who work at BlackBerry, and they have some world class developers working on bleeding edge technology.
    Save your breath. Too many consumers think that "innovation" means a curved screen on a mobile phone or some other design gimmick. Or they only think of home runs like iTunes. They are not engineers or business strategists, who understand that many of the most important innovations take place in the engineering realm where all progress is incremental.

Posted via CB10
    ALToronto and anon(2313227) like this.
    01-11-17 07:25 AM
    The main thing for most of us... software is boring. And few of us are even going to be customers for that software.

Chen did a great job managing the end of hardware (Mike and Jim killed it, along with their flunky Thor) and finding a way to build a software company... but it's going to be a VERY small company with much less potential for the level of growth needed to get the "value" of the company even close to where it was when Chen took over.

Maybe TCL pull a rabbit out of a hat with the BlackBerry Brand... but their plans to keep focusing on enterprise for now, doesn't inspire. Unless they make a major change, I don't see how things will be different from what BlackBerry has done. Or most the other Android OEMs that aren't Samsung.
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    01-11-17 07:41 AM
    Save your breath. Too many consumers think that "innovation" means a curved screen on a mobile phone or some other design gimmick. Or they only think of home runs like iTunes. They are not engineers or business strategists, who understand that many of the most important innovations take place in the engineering realm where all progress is incremental.

Posted via CB10
    That's not innovation either.

Android BlackBerry
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    01-11-17 11:13 AM

Hey some people would complain if they won a gold bar, carping its not platinum .
    01-11-17 01:35 PM
47 12