For a while BlackBerry has been telling people what should be done such as focusing on enterprise/software rather than listening to its customers. How many times have we seen threads regarding apps? Better camera? New all touch flagship? Etc And with the release of the leap which according to the crackberry poll does not look like a lot will be buying. I understand everything can't happen at once but unless they've got something in store not a lot seems to be happening

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 04:39 PM
    I think it's just the opposite. Customers need to start listening to BlackBerry who is stating they're focusing on Enterprise/Software and realize, the stuff 'consumers' are harping on isn't the key focus for BlackBerry right now. BlackBerry needs to get even more healthier before they even consider appeasing 'consumers' again fully.

That's a tough reality for a lot of folks who adopted BlackBerry with a consumer mindset but it is what it is and BlackBerry is going to do what they need to do in order to maintain their survival, whether we like it or not. You're either in with their Enterprise/Software and Hardware play or you're not at this point.

BlackBerry works for me in its current form and I have no desire to change that but there's some people out there who are unhappy with BlackBerry and its offerings and those people, unless appeased, will likely end up leaving the platform. No doubt BlackBerry is aware of that but again, it's not their core focus right now. People will either ride it out with what 'consumer' level offering BlackBerry gives as there's still some there or leave.

They can't afford to be the darling to everyone. They tried that before, it didn't end so well and this is where we're at. BlackBerry has set their focus, gone back to their Enterprise roots and someday when they're hopefully a little bit more healthier, will take on the consumer market in a bigger way but now is not that time.
    04-23-15 04:46 PM
    Agreed with bla1ze.

The worst thing BlackBerry can do now is to lose focus.

Enterprise and security software/services is the game for BlackBerry for now.

Posted via CB10
    BKbehave and Sexy Sadie like this.
    04-23-15 05:09 PM
    Well said Bla1ze. BlackBerry is listening to the customers it believes can make it profitable in the long term. They are the enterprises and business customers it wants to sell software and services to, regardless of what make of phones they are using. That market is much larger and potentially much more profitable that the tiny segment of the consumer market which uses BlackBerry phones.

BlackBerry simply can't afford to make expensive high end phones at a rate that will satisfy all of its enthusiasts. This is hard for those want a new BlackBerry phone right now that will impress their friends who already have the latest Samsung and Apple phones, but that's the way it is.
    04-23-15 05:12 PM
    I think it's just the opposite. Customers need to start listening to BlackBerry who is stating they're focusing on Enterprise/Software and realize, the stuff 'consumers' are harping on isn't the key focus for BlackBerry right now. BlackBerry needs to get even more healthier before they even consider appeasing 'consumers' again fully.

That's a tough reality for a lot of folks who adopted BlackBerry with a consumer mindset but it is what it is and BlackBerry is going to do what they need to do in order to maintain their survival, whether we like it or not. You're either in with their Enterprise/Software and Hardware play or you're not at this point.

BlackBerry works for me in its current form and I have no desire to change that but there's some people out there who are unhappy with BlackBerry and its offerings and those people, unless appeased, will likely end up leaving the platform. No doubt BlackBerry is aware of that but again, it's not their core focus right now. People will either ride it out with what 'consumer' level offering BlackBerry gives or leave.

They can't afford to be the darling to everyone. They tried that before, it didn't end so well and this is where we're at. BlackBerry has set their focus, gone back to their Enterprise roots and someday when they're hopefully a little bit more healthier, will take on the consumer market in a bigger way but now is not that time.
    Well put, it really bothers me to watch the once iconic brand be swept aside here in the USA.

I still believe in the brand, but it makes it very difficult with no support from my carrier and all of my once Blackberry loyal business clients and friends have moved on to other platforms.

I have to carry an iPhone 6+ for my daily driver now because my main business clients require me to use custom project management apps that only run on IOS.

I love writing threads for this great site and I am ordering a new leap tomorrow from Amazon and I will use it as a second phone.

I have given up on the hope that Blackberry will once again be a consumer brand here in the USA. I think that dynamics have changed and Android and IOS have embedded themselves into the culture here and that's not going to change any time soon.

As with you, I hope they continue to get healthy and focus on the areas that will provide the future revenue for their survival.

Who knows!! Maybe one day the brand might be resurrected here and we Blackberry users will rejoice, only time will tell folks.
    grover5, acovey, potatoguy and 4 others like this.
    04-23-15 05:21 PM
    Some of the reasons people are complaining are beyond BlackBerry's control. The lacks of apps isn't because BlackBerry didn't try. I believe they tried pretty hard to get developers on board.

Posted via CB Z30
    04-23-15 05:25 PM
    For a while BlackBerry has been telling people what should be done such as focusing on enterprise/software rather than listening to its customers.
    Here's the thing.

BlackBerry has 37 million customers that use its phones. Millions of other phones are managed by its services. It has in excess of 100 million that use its messaging platform. It has its QNX software in millions of non phone devices.

CrackBerry is a place where BlackBerry fans (and some anti-fans) go because they are hardcore passionate about mobile devices. Enough so that they go to a BlackBerry site, sign up for an account and spend time discussing BlackBerry.

Most Blackberry users will do no such thing. Same with any of the mobile platforms.

Want a test? Grab the next ten people you meet that have a smartphone. Ask them when the last time was that they made a post on a mobile nations forum - can be CrackBerry, iMore, Android Central, Windows Phone Central, whatever. For most people, the answer is going to be: "Never heard of them and why would I do that?"

We're power users. We're here because we are interested in tech. I have no doubt BlackBerry uses this place as a data point, but it's used in conjunction with the data on the other users they have do NO NOT post here.

As much as we wish this to be the case, CrackBerry users and the needs of the CrackBerry users do not even come close to statistically representing their customers. Even within CrackBerry, the forums visitors who don't/seldom post greatly outnumber the regular posters here.

People need to stop assuming that because a few (in the grand scheme of things) opinionated posters want something, it means BlackBerry hears the same thing from the great many more people who don't ever post on a forum like CrackBerry.
    04-23-15 05:34 PM
    Doesn't Enterprise and Consumers need the same great phones?

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 05:59 PM
    I think all BB fans are going to have to be patient. If I was still using BB as my daily driver I'd have a passport. That phone looks amazing. But I left for a Nexus because, like bakron1, I needed it for work. My work is all in on google apps and I needed a google phone to stay ahead. For now BB is going to cater to enterprise and stay focused. If we want them to survive and one day grow again then we should accept that and be patient.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    bakron1 and justsomebbuser like this.
    04-23-15 06:10 PM
    Doesn't Enterprise and Consumers need the same great phones
    No, most of them just need the same good enough, but not necessarily great phones, such as the BlackBerry Leap.
    04-23-15 07:13 PM

BlackBerry works for me in its current form and I have no desire to change that but there's some people out there who are unhappy with BlackBerry and its offerings and those people, unless appeased, will likely end up leaving the platform. No doubt BlackBerry is aware of that but again, it's not their core focus right now. People will either ride it out with what 'consumer' level offering BlackBerry gives as there's still some there or leave.

BlackBerry focusing on business and enterprise caused them to lose a lot business and enterprise customers to phone companies that focused on consumers. I have yet to see BlackBerry ever focus on the end user or consumer, and I feel that is why they continue to see their sales drop and business customers defect.

BlackBerry gave BB10 and the all touch form factor 9 months, on beta software, and dated, overpriced hardware before they panicked and said the company was for sale followed up by telling devs to focus on Android development. They never really tried to be the darling, they tried to extort the base with overpriced, underspec'd hardware like they always did with BBOS devices, and expected the BlackBerry branding to be all that was needed to move devices. They haven't learned anything from their experience and have misinterpreted what has happened as needing to focus on Enterprise and PKB devices.

Hopefully this slider device is worth something and isn't a pig of a device in both size and specs. They might want to start leaking some info and release timing because really I don't think the competition is going to steal a Damn thing, and one is likely manufacturing the device for them.

If BlackBerry wants out of the handset business then their current strategy is perfect, but if they want to stay in then it is just plain dumb because businesses need good devices and apps too.

Posted via CB10
    Cynycl, Tatwi and rnsaza like this.
    04-23-15 07:19 PM
    BlackBerry focusing on business and enterprise caused them to lose a lot business and enterprise customers to phone companies that focused on consumers. I have yet to see BlackBerry ever focus on the end user or consumer, and I feel that is why they continue to see their sales drop and business customers defect.

BlackBerry gave BB10 and the all touch form factor 9 months, on beta software, and dated, overpriced hardware before they panicked and said the company was for sale followed up by telling devs to focus on Android development. They never really tried to be the darling, they tried to extort the base with overpriced, underspec'd hardware like they always did with BBOS devices, and expected the BlackBerry branding to be all that was needed to move devices. They haven't learned anything from their experience and have misinterpreted what has happened as needing to focus on Enterprise and PKB devices.

Hopefully this slider device is worth something and isn't a pig of a device in both size and specs. They might want to start leaking some info and release timing because really I don't think the competition is going to steal a Damn thing, and one is likely manufacturing the device for them.

If BlackBerry wants out of the handset business then their current strategy is perfect, but if they want to stay in then it is just plain dumb because businesses need good devices and apps too.

Posted via CB10
    To me Chen has been doing a great job so far in his strategy to ditch the handset business through "frog boiling" methodology. If things turn out the way it did with Sybase, he would flip the company over for profit and walk away richer plus becoming even a bigger legend. Not that anything is wrong with that, just something fans would hate very much.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-23-15 07:48 PM
    If this is the plan they may as well exit the handset business altogether and stop the bad blood and customer disappointment and focus on cross platform software solutions.

I think that would be a big step in the turn around. Devote 100% focus to software and cease with the hardware half measures.

I believe they'd reach the sunshine much faster. Perhaps turn the software industry on its head.

Drop handsets and the app crap and develop the next 20 years of how things are done on every other platform.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-23-15 08:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    I agree with this. When the iPhone and Android came out and people realized all the great possibilities with phones besides email and messaging is when BlackBerry failed to adapt. They failed to adapt at the time and even more egregiously failed to do so after the fact when it was clear what was taking place. Then when BYOD rolls around and BlackBerry is an afterthought, you have all these "consumers" entrenched in their Android and iPhone experience making it the easy and logical transition into business devices. BlackBerry still has its niche but its going to take a monumental shift for them to even be a moderate player in the consumer device arena.
    cgallaer likes this.
    04-23-15 08:09 PM
    Everyone here I'm assuming is a CEO of a major company due to the fact that they know exactly what a large company like BB should be doing and how to steer them on the right path.
    04-23-15 08:40 PM
    I think they are listening to their targeted customers, enterprise customers. No matter how much we want a high end low GP device we are not going to see it. At least for a long while. I'm very pleased with my Passport. But I don't play games or do any snapchatting, just productivity type work like email and documents.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 10:00 PM
    BlackBerry should make free, high quality phones because that is what I want...
    paulbbp and anon(2313227) like this.
    04-23-15 10:05 PM
    Everyone here I'm assuming is a CEO of a major company due to the fact that they know exactly what a large company like BB should be doing and how to steer them on the right path.
    My friend, CrackBerry is filled with the greatest business minds in the history of commerce. You didn't hear?

I can't think of a place where more people are kind enough to take a break from leading their multi-billion dollar corporations to provide meagre John Chen with advice on how he ought to do his job.

I'm surprised more of these great minds haven't wandered in and convinced the board that they know how to solve the app gap issue, the hardware profitability issue, the declining revenue issue and the churn issue within two weeks tops ...
    04-23-15 10:26 PM
    the problem with the enterprise only focus is that when they are ready to start making phones that people wanna buy,,,, will any one still care? i know they need to become profitable but they cant just turn there back ..even if they produced 2 phones a year a qwerty and an all touch...don't sell the farm and produce 10 mil of them but a small number just enough to keep som market share..my 2 cents
    04-23-15 10:39 PM
    BlackBerry is an Enterprise/Software company now. Their handsets are basically dead. While they still can't develop a tablet, the competiton has moved on to watches. They cannot compete in this market anymore. There is no coming back from this now. Either accept what their current offerings are and ride it out to the end which is pretty near now or do what everybody else, including Kevin have done. Go to another, no compromise platform and be able to enjoy what everbody else has been enjoing for years now.
    04-23-15 10:58 PM
    BlackBerry is an Enterprise/Software company now. Their handsets are basically dead. While they still can't develop a tablet, the competiton has moved on to watches. They cannot compete in this market anymore. There is no coming back from this now. Either accept what their current offerings are and ride it out to the end which is pretty near now or do what everybody else, including Kevin have done. Go to another, no compromise platform and be able to enjoy what everbody else has been enjoing for years now.
    Agreed but they could still salvage their PKB market by converting over to Android. The future for Enterprise appears to be Google Play for Work.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX, Sparro and Witmen like this.
    04-23-15 11:08 PM
    Agreed but they could still salvage their PKB market by converting over to Android. The future for Enterprise appears to be Google Play for Work.

Posted via CB10
    "Google Play for Work" is oxymoronic!

Bla1ze is right on with his well reasoned perspective.

As for me, I simply can no longer justify trying every new tech device due to limited resources. While I crave owning a Passport like my wife has, I am happily, successfully, and productively using my Q10 while delving more deeply into understanding BB10 and all it can do. It is the closest experience to webOS a former Palm owner can presently enjoy.

Posted via CB10
    mkelley65 and TheAuthority like this.
    04-23-15 11:30 PM
    "Google Play for Work" is oxymoronic!

Bla1ze is right on with his well reasoned perspective.

As for me, I simply can no longer justify trying every new tech device due to limited resources. While I crave owning a Passport like my wife has, I am happily, successfully, and productively using my Q10 while delving more deeply into understanding BB10 and all it can do. It is the closest experience to webOS a former Palm owner can presently enjoy.

Posted via CB10
    So you don't actually have a Enterprise phone then.

If BlackBerry could demonstrate superior security for the Enterprise customer over all other platforms then yes, the strategy makes sense. Is it more secure? Right now, I do not see the benefits for Enterprise in using a forked Android.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    04-23-15 11:50 PM
    I myself am happy with what blackberry have released on to the market and if what they are doing right now means it makes them stronger and here for ever then im cool with that
    TheAuthority likes this.
    04-24-15 12:23 AM
    The app gap is impossible to resolve. Even now a company as large as twitter is targeting iOS first, both for new features on their main product and the new media darling Periscope they own. Obviously the competitor (Meerkat) is also for only iOS. Of course. If there is no app even for Android, how do BB10 and WP8/10 compete?

BB has limited options, that's hardly up for debate. However, the fact that the current management team has landed their posts at a major corporation does not by itself prove that they are competent or will make the right decisions. HP managed to squander billions on Autonomy when Oracle (run by ex-HP Hurd) publicly stated they did not see the value. Was some at HP trying to outsmart Hurd, engaged in some stupid, unilateral one-upmanship? Was it outright corruption? So, no I don't immediately buy into "management knows best". I would agree however that a board such as this is unlikely to sway any company's course. What this implies for users is that instead of presuming that the company will continue to keep serving their needs, if the direction taken does not match the users' interests, it is time to move onto something else. For example in this context even enterprise users that BB is trying to keep should evalute their options and not presume BB will manage to deliver what they want.

To give an example, Apple captured a great share of the video editing market with Final Cut Pro, but after several years introduced a major new version that lacked important features and even worse was also incompatible with projects created on previous versions. Apple promised Final Cut Pro would regain those missing features over time. Before that transition, it was the best solution for many production houses just as BB was for many corporate users. Could those users presume that everything will be fine, if only they stick with it and bide their time? Most places simply figured Apple could pull stuff like this again in the future and it was perhaps time to switch to a competitor.

Back to BB users: If you are responsible for the decision on corporate phones, can you trust that BB will keep serving your needs? Your users do want the perks others are enjoying on their iPhones and Galaxy somethings. The platforms are probably sufficient for corporate needs, there are so many firms that have transitioned over. Perhaps it's time to do likewise. Happier workers are more productive aren't they?

One major issue is that consumers are uninformed about what is really out there in the marketplace (comparing latest gear from company X to their old stuff from company Y and concluding company X has better products for example). It's possible that even a well specced BB might prove disappointing to users looking to get iPhones and Android phones from their companies. It may be a very difficult task to get users to want a BB again. Perhaps the best they can do is keep users content.

Yet, I don't see the point in introducing only low end hardware which is even more likely to disappoint.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    04-24-15 09:30 AM
128 123 ...