BB10 has arguably the greatest potential of any mobile OS to run in cars and other vehicles, and it has a massive head start because it's based on QNX.

The problem, though, is that BlackBerry doesn't seem to be moving quickly enough or making any dramatic moves. Both Apple and Google now have car implementation systems en route, and Apple for one has a hell of a lot of partners.

BlackBerry, however, only really seems to have Porsche, and maybe Bentley and Mercedes as potential partners.

If BlackBerry can make some serious moves with BB10 in cars, then I'm almost certain that not only will they be saved, but they'll become massive leaders once again.

Car infotainment systems are the next big thing. I hope BlackBerry can take full advantage of them.

Does anyone agree?

Posted via CB10
    pgg101 likes this.
    07-04-13 12:04 PM
    TOO LATE...... AS USUAL.

If my car can do this why would I need BB10? All-New 2014 Infiniti Q50 Technology | Infiniti USA
    h20work likes this.
    07-04-13 12:27 PM
    BB10 has arguably the greatest potential of any mobile OS to run in cars and other vehicles, and it has a massive head start because it's based on QNX.

The problem, though, is that BlackBerry doesn't seem to be moving quickly enough or making any dramatic moves. Both Apple and Google now have car implementation systems en route, and Apple for one has a hell of a lot of partners.

BlackBerry, however, only really seems to have Porsche, and maybe Bentley and Mercedes as potential partners.

If BlackBerry can make some serious moves with BB10 in cars, then I'm almost certain that not only will they be saved, but they'll become massive leaders once again.

Car infotainment systems are the next big thing. I hope BlackBerry can take full advantage of them.

Does anyone agree?

Posted via CB10
    QNX is used on GM, Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, BMW, SAAB, and various other carmakers.

Cat software can't just update overnight, usually older systems require a completely new computer.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 01:19 PM
    Both Apple and Google now have car implementation systems en route, and Apple for one has a hell of a lot of partners.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry/QNX has more car partners then Apple. The difference between Apple & BlackBerry in the cars is that BlackBerry is running the system & Apple is running an app on that system.

It's like putting iTunes on your PC computer. You may now be able to connect your phone to your computer, but the computer is still being run by Windows.

There is no car manufacturer out there that is trusting their infotainment system to iOS. They are all running either QNX, Windows Embedded, or Linux.
    07-04-13 01:42 PM

Does anyone agree?

Posted via CB10
    Just in case you didn't know

BlackBerry needs to get BB10 in cars, and fast!-crackberry-image-14-.jpg

BlackBerry owns QNX

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 02:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 02:59 PM
    BB10 has no business being anywhere near cars. It's a huge, multipurpose, 3D accelerated mobile operating system. I mean, it has ridiculously high hardware requirements. It won't even run on the Playbook (lol) which is much more powerful than the hardware in the average car.

Keep the QNX car platform and BB10 separate PLEASE!
    KOOLWATER and John Ho like this.
    07-04-13 03:06 PM
    BB10 has no business being anywhere near cars. It's a huge, multipurpose, 3D accelerated mobile operating system. I mean, it has ridiculously high hardware requirements. It won't even run on the Playbook (lol) which is much more powerful than the hardware in the average car.

Keep the QNX car platform and BB10 separate PLEASE!
    BB10 has QNX Neutrino microkernel RTOS technology implanted within it. It's the soul of BB10.

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    07-04-13 03:33 PM
    BB10 has QNX Neutrino microkernel RTOS technology implanted within it. It's the soul of BB10.

Posted via CB10
    So what does that have to do with what I wrote? QNX is part if BB10, but QNX is not BB10.
    KOOLWATER likes this.
    07-04-13 03:37 PM
    Thanks for clearing up the whole partners issue guys, I understand now

And I'm happy to hear that Apple's 'system' is just basically an extended app, not an actual system itself.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 06:07 PM
    So what does that have to do with what I wrote? QNX is part if BB10, but QNX is not BB10.
    For cars BlackBerry has "QNX Car 2.0"

The BlackBerry system in cars has the QNX kernel & some things brought over from BB10, but it's not the BB10 OS, it's a different OS built specifically for vehicles.

More like BB10 & QNX Car 2.0 are brothers with the same QNX mother.
    Jerale Hoard likes this.
    07-04-13 06:23 PM
    For cars BlackBerry has "QNX Car 2.0"

The BlackBerry system in cars has the QNX kernel & some things brought over from BB10, but it's not the BB10 OS, it's a different OS built specifically for vehicles.

More like BB10 & QNX Car 2.0 are brothers with the same QNX mother.
    That's exactly the point I was trying to make with my original post. Blackberry 10 belongs on phones. The QNX car platform belongs in cars. The two should not be confused, nor should the QNX microkernel be confuse with BB10.

People would be best to think of QNX as a building foundation, and the various buildings that are built on top of the foundation are the different platforms like BB10 and Car2. I get chills every time someone suggests using BB10 in place of QNX in things like vehicles and medical systems...yikes.
    h20work likes this.
    07-04-13 06:36 PM
    BB10 in cars will not happen. Even if many use the QNX operating system, they use their own frameworks like Autosar and has done so for several years now. Blackberry will not be able to compete with that market other than providing QNX. Blackberry should instead focus on phone car communication.
    KOOLWATER likes this.
    07-04-13 06:44 PM
    BB10 in automobiles makes about as much sense as webOS in PCs and printers. When HP acquired Palm the idea of putting webOS in printers and PCs was tossed around for a while but it never went anywhere and, in retrospect, looks pretty ridiculous. Primarily, because no customer needs webOS on their PC nor on their printer - HP needed it.

The same goes for B10 in automobiles. Are customers clamoring for it? Hardly. Sure, it would be nice if our smartphones interfaced more with our car entertainment/navigation systems. However, that really only requires an interface. The most important thing for customers will be whether or not the interface is available for their smartphone of choice.

BB10 in automobiles is something that Blackberry and Crackberry may want but practically nobody else.
    07-07-13 09:50 AM
    TOO LATE...... AS USUAL.

If my car can do this why would I need BB10? All-New 2014 Infiniti Q50 Technology | Infiniti USA
    I'm waiting for the new convertible
    KOOLWATER likes this.
    07-07-13 10:31 AM
    I agree that BB10 and Car2 are different. It seems to me that the challenge for BlackBerry is the marketing and the extension of the 'ecosystem' that others seem to be pushing. Apple, for example, is pushing the connection between the iPhone and vehicle systems. It's extending its ecosystem and strengthening its reputation for connectivity. Apple will definitely not give BlackBerry credit for running the platform. As long as BlackBerry is selling hardware it has to find a way to convert its leadership with Car2 into a visible (marketable) extension of the BlackBerry devices.

That is a huge challenge. QNX produces software not hardware so it was more interested in getting its systems in vehicles than in taking credit for being there. In fact part of its sales pitch is that manufacturers could put their skins on the platform. Now it seems all manufacturers put their own skins on the systems due to their own marketing imperatives. So it is going to be hard for BlackBerry to see Car2 as a natural extension of BB10's features and ecosystem. It is quite ironic of you think of it. But maybe it speaks more to BlackBerry as a service company and not a hardware producer in the future.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 10:35 AM
    If blackberry was to capitalize into this, it would not only bring back a huge of portion of their former user base (corporate, business) but will potentially once more set the standard of luxury as it once did.
    09-17-13 09:08 AM
    Thanks for clearing up the whole partners issue guys, I understand now

And I'm happy to hear that Apple's 'system' is just basically an extended app, not an actual system itself.

Posted via CB10
    No, not quite, it's a little more than that.

iOS on your iPhone communicates with the heart of the car computer through a mix of custom and public APIs. They are deep hooks into the system, that makes it possible to control your cars systems through your iPhone/Siri, or control your iPhone through the steering wheel buttons.

Now the thing is... A BB10 phone comminicates with your car in the same way, (though BBRY can't use Apples custom iOS in car-APIs)

Which means that it doesn't make any difference at all, whether the car uses the QNX kernel or not. An iPhone can still get better and deeper integration through the APIs, than a BB handset.

What kernel or OS the car is runni g doesn't make any difference whatsoever.

(If it DID, we'd see WP8 have a big advantage as well, considering that many car makers use Microsofts competing car-computer OS: like Fords Sync...)
    Roo Zilla likes this.
    09-17-13 09:23 AM
    If blackberry was to capitalize into this, it would not only bring back a huge of portion of their former user base (corporate, business) but will potentially once more set the standard of luxury as it once did.
    No. They can't capitalize this. Read my above post...
    09-17-13 09:24 AM
    There is no car manufacturer out there that is trusting their infotainment system to iOS. They are all running either QNX, Windows Embedded, or Linux.
    There is no "iOS embedded." It doesn't exist. Perhaps that's the real reason no car manufacturer is using it. Not to mention ever since Jobs returned to Apple, Apple has refused to license out any of it's OSes to third parties.
    09-17-13 09:26 AM