And the Classic.
    02-27-15 05:23 PM
    They need a marketing department!!

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 12:20 AM
    I think I saw the Q10 in S01E02? :-D

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 01:43 AM
    Just started season 3 and I must say Microsoft is heavily promoting Windows Phones and it's so obvious they paid a lot of money to feature their phones on House of Cards.
    02-28-15 01:53 AM
    I thought they already did.

Posted with X10 via CB10
    02-28-15 01:55 AM
    Yes other companies saw how a BlackBerry ring tone became popular because of a popular show and paid to advertise on the show. BlackBerry doesn't care about consumers or devices sales and let's the others take their lunch money. But you guys keep praising Chairman Chen. All is well in the People's Republic Of BlackBerry and they will prevail!

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 05:11 AM
    Some people here still don't realize that BlackBerry doesn't care about selling devices to them. They aren't trying to get people who watch house of cards to buy their phones. At best, they are trying to get companies who will force their employees to use a BlackBerry to buy their devices.

BlackBerry knows that they can't compete with Android or iOS for consumers. Spending any money on advertising to them would be a waste. I wonder how many more devices are they contractually obligated to build until Chen is free to make the company nothing but software and services.

The Samsung and Google deals, plus the total lack of any advertising for the Passport and Classic, tells me that BlackBerry couldn't possibly care any less about selling BlackBerry 10 devices.
    02-28-15 05:53 AM
    Some people here still don't realize that BlackBerry doesn't care about selling devices to them. They aren't trying to get people who watch house of cards to buy their phones. At best, they are trying to get companies who will force their employees to use a BlackBerry to buy their devices.

BlackBerry knows that they can't compete with Android or iOS for consumers. Spending any money on advertising to them would be a waste. I wonder how many more devices are they contractually obligated to build until Chen is free to make the company nothing but software and services.

The Samsung and Google deals, plus the total lack of any advertising for the Passport and Classic, tells me that BlackBerry couldn't possibly care any less about selling BlackBerry 10 devices.
    Unfortunately this seems to be the case. Can't wait to see how all these Chenpoligists act that one day when he announces the handset business is closed and BlackBerry users should buy a Samsung! Bet all the BES reps are telling government and business users they should switch to other platforms too. Chen is probably still only keeping the handset business running to not push BES customers away because if he killed it off there would likely be many business customers that would have it be the last straw and forsake the name BlackBerry forever.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 06:11 AM
    Unfortunately this seems to be the case. Can't wait to see how all these Chenpoligists act that one day when he announces the handset business is closed and BlackBerry users should buy a Samsung! Bet all the BES reps are telling government and business users they should switch to other platforms too. Chen is probably still only keeping the handset business running to not push BES customers away because if he killed it off there would likely be many business customers that would have it be the last straw and forsake the name BlackBerry forever.

Posted via CB10
    I think it's even more superficial than that. They don't want to pull the plug on the handset division because they know it will create a huge doom-and-gloom news cycle which they know will likely be the first time most people have heard the name BlackBerry in a while,.. and will undoubtedly cement the long-held popular belief that BlackBerry is dead.

They're stuck keeping a gangrenous appendage. I'm guessing they have come to terms with this and merely want to make sure it does not lose too much money for them. Minimal device advertising, low production runs, rehashing old components into old bodies (i.e. Rio/Leap),.. these all point to that type of loss mitigation strategy.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 06:25 AM
    I think it's even more superficial than that. They don't want to pull the plug on the handset division because they know it will create a huge doom-and-gloom news cycle which they know will likely be the first time most people have heard the name BlackBerry in a while,.. and will undoubtedly cement the long-held popular belief that BlackBerry is dead.

They're stuck keeping a gangrenous appendage. I'm guessing they have come to terms with this and merely want to make sure it does not lose too much money for them. Minimal device advertising, low production runs, rehashing old components into old bodies (i.e. Rio/Leap),.. these all point to that type of loss mitigation strategy.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah but instead of just treating it like the red headed step child, they should try to make some decent all touch device and invest a little in promoting it. It only takes one success to put the BlackBerry name back in the spotlight for something positive, and maybe get some people to look at them. Chen seems like he should be running the QNX division because he is a B2B and SAAS man, but I think they need someone else responsible for handset and BB10, because it is clear Chen doesn't care for either.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 06:40 AM
    Chen has stated if BlackBerry can't make a go of it as a handset manufacturer, they will have someone else do it for them.
    02-28-15 06:49 AM
    Yeah but instead of just treating it like the red headed step child, they should try to make some decent all touch device and invest a little in promoting it. It only takes one success to put the BlackBerry name back in the spotlight for something positive, and maybe get some people to look at them. Chen seems like he should be running the QNX division because he is a B2B and SAAS man, but I think they need someone else responsible for handset and BB10, because it is clear Chen doesn't care for either.

Posted via CB10
    It actually doesn't take one success from BlackBerry, it would several successive failures by all Android OEMs and Apple. This is how they go where they are, BlackBerry faltering year after year... forcing people to look elsewhere. There's literally nothing BlackBerry can do to change the landscape,.. all they can do is keep offering a compelling alternative in case the market leaders do falter. Unfortunately that's not a very affordable strategy.

Z10, Z30 where all consumer centric all touch devices that were quite desirable,.. however so where the 100 other touch screen Androids and the iPhone's that people had already adopted. Why would you switch from something that is still good? It takes years of something being really bad for people to finally take the risk and effort of making a change. That's the feat BlackBerry so remarkably achieved in a span of a few years going from the top to nothing!

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 07:03 AM
    Z10, Z30 where all consumer centric all touch devices that were quite desirable,.. however so where the 100 other touch screen Androids and the iPhone's that people had already adopted. Why would you switch from something that is still good? It takes years of something being really bad for people to finally take the risk and effort of making a change. That's the feat BlackBerry so remarkably achieved in a span of a few years going from the top to nothing!

Posted via CB10
    I'll have to disagree here on the quite desirable. The Z10 was designed for 2012 and released in 2013 with beta software. It wasn't desirable, and gave the company a black eye. Luckily by the US launch they got 10.1 out, but then carriers delayed the release.

Z30 is a great device, but was being released with a 720 screen when the competition was releasing 1080 at the same price point and with better other specs. It was also launched when the companies future was in serious question when the for sale sign went up, and BlackBerry did nothing to promote it because of this and did the launch in a market that can't even afford the device.

With 10.3.1 they now have the software ready for a real launch of a high end all touch. The Z30 with modern internals, and a 1440 screen, and a little promotion might be able to get some good reviews from tech sites and make BlackBerry at least sound like an option to people. Keep the margins low to try to drive some adoption and see how the sales go.

Also I'd like to see device sales number broken down and BlackBerry have to justify it's current strategy with data.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 08:37 AM
    Also I'd like to see device sales number broken down and BlackBerry have to justify it's current strategy with data.
    I agree with your points. But this will never, ever happen. Lol
    02-28-15 09:09 AM
    I agree with your points. But this will never, ever happen. Lol
    Yeah its sad. Google provides numbers, Apple provides numbers. BlackBerry doesn't. The best we get is BB10 to BBOS numbers. All we know about the Passport is it had good sales numbers at launch and the first month, but it seems to have slowed and they are offering more deals which would point to sales being weak.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 09:21 AM