I recently got into
    Last edited by jason9900; 10-26-14 at 02:57 AM.
    tinochiko likes this.
    09-05-14 12:52 PM
    I recently got into the hobby of being an Audiophile. Before I was quite clueless as to what constituted a good music player from another, but then I realized not all music players (thus phones) are the same when it comes to playing music. It depends on the quality of the DAC (Digital Analog Converter) which converts the 0's and 1's on our memory cards to the analog music we hear on our headphones. I noticed that in comparison to an iPhone, my Z10 is seriously lacking when it comes to the sound quality. Does anyone know what DAC a Z10 uses?
    Which iPhone? And were all other factors equal during your test? Speakers or headphones? I ask because I've found mine to be better but I use mostly Neutron music player which as an audiophile I think you would appreciate over the stock one, though on 10.3 it comes with more features e.g. equaliser settings

Check Out TechCraze
    09-05-14 01:33 PM
    Music is great on my z30!

Posted via CB10
    BerrySoul likes this.
    09-05-14 01:53 PM
    I don't know enough to answer your question, but I do know the sound coming from my Q10 is miles better than the Z10.
    Lately I have been using the Z10 as my daily driver and the Q10 as a music player!!

Posted on my Q10
    09-05-14 01:53 PM
    I don't know enough to answer your question, but I do know the sound coming from my Q10 is miles better than the Z10.
    Lately I have been using the Z10 as my daily driver and the Q10 as a music player!!

Posted on my Q10
    Y q10 much more better from z10 in sound?

White z10
    09-05-14 02:51 PM
    Y q10 much more better from z10 in sound?

White z10
    When I put the Z10 in my holster I can only hear loud parts of the music with the volume all the way up. With the Q10 I can hear everything. I use the Q to listen to music while I ride my horse. I look funny with a phone on each side of my belt, but who's looking?
    Before the Q, I wore an ipod touch on my arm, attached to speakers in a fanny pack. What a pain. I don't use earphones because the horse has to hear the music too.

Posted via my Q10 or Z10
    hlg8888 likes this.
    09-05-14 03:35 PM
    Z30 the music is great

Posted via Z30 from the sunny Okanagan
    09-05-14 03:39 PM
    When I put the Z10 in my holster I can only hear loud parts of the music with the volume all the way up. With the Q10 I can hear everything. I use the Q to listen to music while I ride my horse. I look funny with a phone on each side of my belt, but who's looking?
    Before the Q, I wore an ipod touch on my arm, attached to speakers in a fanny pack. What a pain. I don't use earphones because the horse has to hear the music too.

Posted via my Q10 or Z10
    Hmm could be the positioning of the speakers rather than standard quality, how are they outside the holster? I think the Q10 speakers are positioned more centrally than the Z10? But could be wrong

Check Out TechCraze
    09-05-14 04:00 PM
    About the only "audiophile" info I know about BB10 is that it's APTx compatible for high-end Bluetooth speakers...
    09-05-14 04:18 PM
    I did some more research, and surprisingly the iPhone with the best sound quality is the iPhone 4s. They sacrificed quality to get a thinner DAC in the iPhone 5. There are charts on the internet comparing the sounds, but no Blackberry device is on their unfortunately.

But to test I am using these headphones
    Sennheiser HD 800 - Dynamic Stereo Headphones - High End - Around Ear

Mind you I have a big DAC and Amp at home I listen to these guys with, but I am now thinking of having to buy a portable Music player as the Z10 just does not cut it for music quality.
    Well my Z10 is definitely louder than a 4s , have tested multiple times, clearer too, you can YouTube tests and it stands it's own even against 'audio' centred phones like the HTC One .. but all that is with speakers, I haven't had an issue with headphones but I'm probably not as sound sensitive as you, like I said with Neutron you can do a lot to improve headphone sound

Check Out TechCraze
    09-05-14 04:24 PM
    Which iPhone? And were all other factors equal during your test? Speakers or headphones? I ask because I've found mine to be better but I use mostly Neutron music player which as an audiophile I think you would appreciate over the stock one, though on 10.3 it comes with more features e.g. equaliser settings

Check Out TechCraze
    Totally agreed! Neutron Player was my best $6 invested in an app. So many options and the sound quality is just SUPERB!

Best wallpaper channel: C002103C3 Wall Paper Wednesday
    tinochiko likes this.
    09-05-14 04:34 PM
    Hmm could be the positioning of the speakers rather than standard quality, how are they outside the holster? I think the Q10 speakers are positioned more centrally than the Z10? But could be wrong

Check Out TechCraze
    Both have the speakers on the bottom, and my holsters have thin elastic sides (they are not leather) , so the sound should get through OK. But even without the holster, the Q is much louder than the Z.

Posted via my Q10 or Z10
    09-05-14 04:38 PM
    BlackBerry as a Music Player-comparison.png

I found a chart comparing the sound quality of smarthphones. The Fiio used as a reference is an Audiophile quality DAC and Amp, as you notice no BB's on that chart, so I wonder where it ranks. If only I could find out what parts make it. But from my own experience, I would say it would be below the iPhone 5 in terms of quality so mid-lower end in terms of quality, but it sure is loud! I will give it that
    09-05-14 05:30 PM
    Sound in my Q is solid, not spectacular. Bit better with the stock player in 10.3. Not sure about the DAC, or if there's a way to find out.

If you want good sound out of a BlackBerry, pick up a PlayBook. I was happy with the sound anyway, recently installed Neutron and my next project is streaming lossless audio to it. For now I've got it loaded up with lossy audio and I'm liking it.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 10:08 PM
    Z10, non-LTE version SLT100-1 is using Wolfson WM8915 DAC. Other versions of Z10 are equipped with Qualcomm integrated solution. On GSM arena this is the version they reviewed.

I'm using mentioned SLT100-1 version and Q5 LTE as my workphone. On Q5 there is a different Qualcomm platform than Z10, compared to Z10 Wolfson DAC there are noticable differences. Specially mids are exaggerated and on some songs not bearable. Z10 is smooth and nice sounding. Note I'm using Neutron player (although there is not much of a difference to supplied player as default sound quality goes), and switching headphones: Beyerdynamic DTX 501p, Koss Porta Pro 2000, Sennheiser PX 100... the sound is best from Beyers, but this is just my current preference, there is nothing wrong with the other excellent headphones.

I also tried separated headphone amp (Z10 swiches to line-out) but it was a waste of money (fortunately little money). Maybe with LTE version of Z10 this might improve quality a bit, someone has to try...

So you probably have to pick up carefully, browse through reviews, pdadb.net and have some luck. Anyway, I'm happy with this Z10. My only previous phone suited as a music player was Samsung i560 (my wife used i450). There is the same sound chipset as in Apple iPhone (original one), as Samsung supplied those chips to Apple. I'm using i450 as an MP3 player in a car now, and compared to Z10 using same headphones, it is a little bit worse in some areas, but almost not noticable. So as audio quality goes, there are some hidden surprises :-)

Myrra
    Alvin Loh likes this.
    02-12-15 05:59 PM
    I'm using a Z10 with Neutron Player along with RHA 750i's.
    The sound is pretty darn good but falls short when I compare it to the sound quality of my iPhone 5.
    I'm in the process of getting a Nexus 5 or LG G2. Both these devices are hi res capable with their new audio chips (wcd9320). I will definitely be using NP as my music app.
    My only concern is the lack of storage on both models. I might be picking up a white 32 gig N5 for my birthday on Friday.
    I'm keeping the Z10 though just incase the change doesn't work out.

Caper in Toronto.
    03-19-15 12:26 AM
    Oh in reply to your question about the DAC inside the Z10. It's a Qualcomm WCD9310.

Caper in Toronto.
    03-19-15 12:28 AM
    Just so you know, the Passport also utilizes the same digital-to-analog converter chip as the LG G2.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    Francis Dunphy likes this.
    03-19-15 12:39 AM
    Interesting, I was wondering about that. Thanks very much

Caper in Toronto.
    03-19-15 01:56 AM
    Are you looking to transfer content to the device and use it like an MP3 player or download content? The platform is a little behind if you want to download content ever since media was purged from BlackBerry World.

The 7digital app let's you download stuff but it has some major shortcomings:

1. It is really slow.
    2. When playing back a song there is no progress bar to let you see where you are, back up, or skip forward.
    3. It can't save downloads to the SDcard.

Posted via CB10
    Francis Dunphy likes this.
    03-19-15 09:36 AM
    I recently installed the 7 digital. apk. I went mad trying to locate the files on my SD card.
    Now I know why.
    I can't even find them on my device for transferring. It's like their hidden somewhere on the phone.
    Thanks for posting

Caper in Toronto.
    03-19-15 04:20 PM