The company provided no information on passport sales in its earnings statement. This can't be a good sign. Am I alone in thinking that beyond pent up demand among die hards BlackBerry had undersold?

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 12:20 PM
    The company provided no information on passport sales in its earnings statement. This can't be a good sign. Am I alone in thinking that beyond pent up demand among die hards BlackBerry had undersold?

Posted via CB10
    Yes you are alone with your thinking

Posted via CB10
    Skatophilia and sk8er_tor like this.
    12-19-14 12:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    I do not think Chen is stupid enough to lie at a EC. As most believed, the 200K at lauch was wishful thinking so it is best they do not report the actual numbers.
    When it Comes to Details, BlackBerry Isn?t Talking - Canada Real Time - WSJ
    sentimentGX4 and jmr1015 like this.
    12-19-14 12:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    You are not alone.

It depends how you compared.

It did not undersold compared to units put on the market. It actually passed BlackBerry expectations.

Now, did the phone improve market share or put BlackBerry on the map, or sold enough to improve BlackBerry phone sales, etc. From that point of view, it undersold.

I think the passport might meet its purpose next year. It all depends on if BlackBerry can make more partnerships by making apps that use the potential of this phone. The health care one is a good example of that.

Posted via CB10
    hasanj4 likes this.
    12-19-14 12:48 PM
    I do not think Chen is stupid enough to lie at a EC. As most believed, the 200K at lauch was wishful thinking so it is best they do not report the actual numbers.
    When it Comes to Details, BlackBerry Isn?t Talking - Canada Real Time - WSJ
    I think you aren't understanding what John Chen said. He not only gave a 1.9 million on hardware sales, he made a point of saying that with the lead time needed to resupply, they were only able to get the 200,000 into the hands of consumers before the fiscal quarter end date.

I don't see that as "wishful thinking".

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    12-19-14 12:48 PM
    BBRY may be refusing to reveals details for strategic reasons. More companies such as Samsung are doing so. Granted, it can be at least partially driven by slowing sales. Having said that, if demand had been mind blowing I am sure something would have been said with great enthusiasm.
    12-19-14 02:24 PM
    Yes you are alone with your thinking

Posted via CB10
    Have you got any hard evidence of actual numbers sold to be able to give an opposing view? I read the statement and listened on the call. No specific numbers were given thus far.

You've got some from Chen?

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤
    12-19-14 02:36 PM
    BBRY may be refusing to reveals details for strategic reasons. More companies such as Samsung are doing so. Granted, it can be at least partially driven by slowing sales. Having said that, if demand had been mind blowing I am sure something would have been said with great enthusiasm.
    Correct. Especially since the initial 200,000 sold were announced.

sentimentGX4 likes this.
    12-19-14 02:39 PM
    I think Me Chen revealed what the bookkeepers let him reveal and the final numbers from the passport and new Classic sales won't even factor in until the 1st quarter of 2015.

I thought the earnings release was very positive and as far as wall streets reaction, I don't pay attention to those folks anymore.

They are still trying soften the blow to the folks they talked into buying oil futures who are now sitting in the poor house. I think BlackBerry will be fine in the long run.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    needforbbx, hpjrt, Mr4aces and 3 others like this.
    12-19-14 02:43 PM
    The folks expecting 1M+ sales of the Passport simply refused to understand that BB didn't have that many to sell - they only ordered 200K of them, because funds were limited and sales volumes were questionable. Without a standing, on-going production order, which BB didn't have for the Passport because of the aforementioned reasons, it will take 2-3 months to get more of them into distribution channels. You can't sell what you don't have.

But folks also need to keep in mind that, for most people, the Passport was effectively the first new BB phone released in 18 months (the Z30 release was very limited, at least in the US). There was a large pent-up demand for a flagship BB phone from existing BB10 users, plus a small handful of (mostly former BB) folks who wanted to try something outside-the-box. I'm not sure that that initial spike is going to continue much beyond those people. Yes, some PPs will be sold, but if they're mostly sold to existing BB10 users, then it's not increasing the BB10 userbase. How many here have (or have had) multiple BB10 phones?

I kind of suspect that, a year from now, total Passport sales will be in the 400-600K range. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.
    12-19-14 02:48 PM
    Passport sales not disclosed may be part of the strategy. Passport definitely is the best thing to happen to BlackBerry. The Passport platform will never be discarded but will be used to launch futuristic devices may Passport all touch or the Phablet.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    thymaster and Andy_bb_king like this.
    12-19-14 03:00 PM
    I think you aren't understanding what John Chen said. He not only gave a 1.9 million on hardware sales, he made a point of saying that with the lead time needed to resupply, they were only able to get the 200,000 into the hands of consumers before the fiscal quarter end date.

I don't see that as "wishful thinking".

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    This

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 03:14 PM
    Yeah I agree. Not disclosing the sales of Passport could also means competitors will never know the success of the phone so company like Samsung won't find it appealing to plagiarize the wide screen phone design.

Passport sales not disclosed may be part of the strategy. Passport definitely is the best thing to happen to BlackBerry. The Passport platform will never be discarded but will be used to launch futuristic devices may Passport all touch or the Phablet.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    12-19-14 04:48 PM
    The folks expecting 1M+ sales of the Passport simply refused to understand that BB didn't have that many to sell - they only ordered 200K of them, because funds were limited and sales volumes were questionable. Without a standing, on-going production order, which BB didn't have for the Passport because of the aforementioned reasons, it will take 2-3 months to get more of them into distribution channels. You can't sell what you don't have.

But folks also need to keep in mind that, for most people, the Passport was effectively the first new BB phone released in 18 months (the Z30 release was very limited, at least in the US). There was a large pent-up demand for a flagship BB phone from existing BB10 users, plus a small handful of (mostly former BB) folks who wanted to try something outside-the-box. I'm not sure that that initial spike is going to continue much beyond those people. Yes, some PPs will be sold, but if they're mostly sold to existing BB10 users, then it's not increasing the BB10 userbase. How many here have (or have had) multiple BB10 phones?

I kind of suspect that, a year from now, total Passport sales will be in the 400-600K range. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.
    We share the same opinion.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 04:49 PM
    You brag when the news is good and silent when it's not.

Simple....

BlackBerry hates America!
    12-19-14 06:44 PM

That's just baloney! if they only had 200k why did they release the Red and White version? those were not even available at release.
    12-19-14 07:08 PM
    Anyone else notice the $100CAN price drop on 2yr contract just 2 days before Classic launch?!!

$149.99 (down from $249.99) on 2yr contract with Bell Mobility.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 07:25 PM
    That's just baloney! if they only had 200k why did they release the Red and White version? those were not even available at release.
    Limited edition... smh is your head okay?

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    Umaima_B_Dia and sk8er_tor like this.
    12-19-14 08:37 PM
    What does one have to do with the other?
    12-19-14 08:47 PM
    Why couldn't those limited edition colors be part of the original 200K batch? And if the numbers are wrong, then why is Chen himself saying 200K?
    12-19-14 09:07 PM
    Anyone else notice the $100CAN price drop on 2yr contract just 2 days before Classic launch?!!

$149.99 (down from $249.99) on 2yr contract with Bell Mobility.

Posted via CB10
    Looked the other night and the Classic was $49 on 2 year contract.

And since when has blackberry ever released specific model sales numbers? All they ever give us is bb10 vs os7 sales. It's not necessarily a bad sign that they don't release passport and classic sale numbers it's just the way they operate.

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    12-19-14 09:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    BB is not mum on Passport sales but their actions are suggesting they are very vocal . If Passport was a failure then Classic would not have launched . Passport acted as a catalyst for launch of Classic. Now they have a formidable product line up for their BB legacy customers that too on BB10 platform . Passport in fact is a flagship product for legacy customers.
    12-20-14 02:37 AM
    BB is not mum on Passport sales but their actions are suggesting they are very vocal . If Passport was a failure then Classic would not have launched . Passport acted as a catalyst for launch of Classic. Now they have a formidable product line up for their BB legacy customers that too on BB10 platform . Passport in fact is a flagship product for legacy customers.
    Classic would have launched regardless. By the time Passport came out, the commitment had already been made to build the Classic.

Further, as mycj7 noted, BBRY has never been specific before regarding individual phone sales. Only BB10 vs BB7. At least Chen shed some light on Passport.

Finally, if you are comparing BB to Apple, yes, the sales are horrible. However, if you just think about what BBRY needs to sell to survive and continue in the hardware business, it may be enough.
    12-20-14 05:50 AM
    Chen said in late September, and it was widely reported at the time, that BlackBerry sold 200,000 passports in the first 2 days of online availability. Is it really true the BB only made 200,000 units and sold all of them in 2 days? Haven't people ordered passports in the months since and had those orders fulfilled? Something just doesn't seem right with the 200,000 figure, which seems to be the only number ever cited in relation to the passport and it hasn't changed. Meanwhile, there is lots of discussion on CrackBerry about people ordering and receiving their passports. And people tracking the product going in and out of stock online.
    epark88 likes this.
    12-20-14 07:17 AM
    Have you got any hard evidence of actual numbers sold to be able to give an opposing view? I read the statement and listened on the call. No specific numbers were given thus far.

You've got some from Chen?

He didn't dispute the numbers. He answered the OP's specific question. Although, as evidenced in this thread, his answer appears to be incorrect - as the OP is obviously not alone in his thinking. Doesn't mean the OP is correct either. We don't know for sure why exact break down by model was not offered.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 07:42 AM
66 123