sadly....I sorta agree with you on the whole 3rd party software thing...espically the stormlock...
    yes, they shruted it.

it actually seems like with the Storm there are more pay apps than free. the older BB's have more free apps. maybe that's the way it's going from now on...

is this the same complaint with the Bold?
    01-21-09 09:43 AM

i cant even download a damn wallpaper without being charged 5 dollars for it. doesnt it bother anyone that whoever made the wallpaper spent like 15 seconds making it and posting it on the webpage and hes charging you 5 dollars for it?
    Your five dollar wallpaper complaint is a valid one, and also easy fix, find your own images and make them wallpaper. This is something people with all models of phones and PDAs have been doing for years, without data plans, using their computers and blue tooth. Takes just a few seconds to crop and re-size an image to your screen size.

The problem is, you like the pretty wallpapers that cost $5, and don't want to take the 15 seconds it takes to make the wallpaper and upload it to your phone.

You could of course scan the forums that have tons of free wallpapers and themes.
    01-21-09 09:45 AM
    yes, they shruted it.

it actually seems like with the Storm there are more pay apps than free. the older BB's have more free apps. maybe that's the way it's going from now on...

is this the same complaint with the Bold?
    The thing to remember is that the storm is a totally different beast than previous (even newer) blackberries. Its probably harder to develop for at the moment because less is known about it. At least for phones like the curve, bold, 8900, you have the knowledge of the previous devices.
    01-21-09 10:02 AM
    Get rid of it.
    01-21-09 12:11 PM
    any features I've wanted, my curve just has it. I've tried a few third party apps on their trials and I've dumped all of them. I guess I see why some people want them, but I just couldn't justify paying to have no shutter sound on the camera. Its really not that big of a deal to me.
    01-21-09 12:15 PM
    The thing to remember is that the storm is a totally different beast than previous (even newer) blackberries. Its probably harder to develop for at the moment because less is known about it. At least for phones like the curve, bold, 8900, you have the knowledge of the previous devices.
    That is correct. It was just distributed in mid Nov. Now granted developers for the apps (pay or free) have had since august to learn the os, its a complex os so it will take time for the stock of apps to build up.

Now complaining about images not being free. That's just silly. Look for your images that you want and then save them!!!

Another thing is - READ YOUR MANUAL, TRY TO SEARCH FOR THE INFORMATION ONLINE OR WHICHEVER BEFORE GOING INTO HULK MODE!!!

I learn most about my bb on this site, from other users.
    Last edited by knob2040; 01-21-09 at 12:44 PM.
    01-21-09 12:41 PM
    ...i cant even download a damn wallpaper without being charged 5 dollars for it. doesnt it bother anyone that whoever made the wallpaper spent like 15 seconds making it and posting it on the webpage and hes charging you 5 dollars for it?

cant disable the data service even tho i have no data plan...
    Search the internet, find the image you want, save to desktop on computer, transfer over to the BlacKBerry via USB cable, select it as your wallpaper... FREE

I'm surprised your carrier allowed you to get a BB without the data plan. Most require it since the BB is designed entirely around push email. You later state that it's also known for it's organizer, but I don't agree. I wouldn't buy a car just to sit in it in my garage, never taking it out.. which is the same as a BlackBerry without a data plan IMO.

Perhaps you should look into the Nokia devices since you are on AT&T (Nokia E71 for example)
    01-21-09 12:50 PM
    Ok, you don't have a data plan and you're paying for items that the rest of us are downloading for free. I agree, return the Curve and get another device that matches up with the features that you want. BTW, you knew what to expect when you posted you're comments on a BlackBerry Forum from some members didn't you? Anyway, good luck. We'll be here when you come back
    01-21-09 12:58 PM
    It's also a good idea to do some research before you buy it. I know it's hard to find all of the pros and cons reading everyone's blogs but, it at least gives you somethng to go by. BB's are continuously changing directions from being a buisness powerhouse (in which case it still is...for now)to a everyday ordinary-Joe user multi-media platform.

It's a good thing that the carriers give a grace period to try them out. The only thing is, you can't keep returning these for a different one more than once (at least with T-mobile).

I ended up doing a gadget geeks nightmare and carry two differnt devices that meets all my needs. The BB for work and the iTouch for play.
    Last edited by BlackBerryBob; 01-21-09 at 01:08 PM.
    01-21-09 01:02 PM
    An exceptional amount of the information you provided is inaccurate or hyperbolic. Since you have only owned the device for a month, it does not surprise me that you are quite incompetent of the capabilities of your BlackBerry.

Educate yourself a little bit before you start whining on forums... the same forums where individuals with genuine issues seek genuine solutions from competent BlackBerry users.
    01-21-09 01:05 PM
    An exceptional amount of the information you provided is inaccurate or hyperbolic. Since you have only owned the device for a month, it does not surprise me that you are quite incompetent of the capabilities of your BlackBerry.

Educate yourself a little bit before you start whining on forums... the same forums where individuals with genuine issues seek genuine solutions from competent BlackBerry users.
    Me gustan respuestas asi

I like responses like that

Very well said.
    01-21-09 01:15 PM
    how about trying it with the data plan? i know it costs more but try it, maybe you'll find (like the rest of us) its totally worth it! I think i spend like 30 bucks a month for unlimited bb data on ATT. im not sure what it is on TMOB but i do know it doesnt break the bank for me and im no executive! LOL! give it a go first!
    01-21-09 01:41 PM
    how about trying it with the data plan? i know it costs more but try it, maybe you'll find (like the rest of us) its totally worth it! I think i spend like 30 bucks a month for unlimited bb data on ATT. im not sure what it is on TMOB but i do know it doesnt break the bank for me and im no executive! LOL! give it a go first!
    The BlackBerry Data Plan is $19.99 a month on T-Mobile and totally worth it.
    01-21-09 01:43 PM
    so i had my blackberry for about a month now and i fkn hate it more and more.
    seeing how much potential it has and how much of it is actually accessible is a big waste.

almost every single feature that is on that phone is a paid service designed to bring profit to the service provided for as little usability for you as possible. so you re forced to pay more and more every step you take in order to do something.
    i cant even download a damn wallpaper without being charged 5 dollars for it. doesnt it bother anyone that whoever made the wallpaper spent like 15 seconds making it and posting it on the webpage and hes charging you 5 dollars for it?
    There are many places with free wallpaper (listed in a few of the above posts). If you don't feel a particular wallpaper is worth the asking price, you don't have to buy it. That's the beauty of it.

i have to spend hours and hours editing,updating, installing, backing up and reupdating backups of the pieces of my OS in order to make a program work because its been hidden or blocked by provider?
    If something is blocked by the carrier, complain to the carrier. It's not RIM's fault that carriers such as Verizon block features such as GPS (or did or require 3rd party apps to be re-written to adhere to whatever their standard is).

cant disable the data service even tho i have no data plan.
    ye its software version 4.5 and im sure the people at RIM are aware that there are some users without data plan...
    The Blackberry is first and foremost a communication device with an emphasis on email. I do not know what expectations you had going into it. I never even considered a blackberry until I felt the need for mobile communication with friends, coworkers, clients, etc. I was happy with my little LG dumb phone. But as I became more dependent on email and such, I decided to investigate actually going with something more robust. I didn't think the Blackberry was going to be a perfect device out of the box. I stopped having that illusion many years ago with various handheld devices (Palm, PocketPC, etc.) I researched the various devices, their limitations and capabilities, etc. I knew the calendar wasn't going to be stupendous. I've never read any comments such as "this device has the best calendar application I've ever used." It's not the focus. Do I wish it was a little more robust? Yes! But I wished the same for every mobile device I've ever had. Can't say tthe Blackberry is any worse than the stock version of Palm or PocketPC calendar apps for how I use them.

the fkn ringer volume control nonexistent my sony ericsson T610 had better volume control than this.(soft, med,loud) what is this a 5 dollar wallmart phone?
    Never really felt the need to have such finite control over the volume. I usually find a level that works just fine for me.

theres tonns of software that i have to pay for in order to get a function that is totally free on most other phones.
    Suppress the camera shutter sound! for 3.95!!!
    ringtone alert and vibration alert at the same time.for 8 dollars yeeey

Stop your face from pressing keys on a call!2.95?? shouldnt that be included with original OS? on storm?
    I think the camera sound is a mandate from some overseeing board. The manufacturers are required to put a click in there so people can't take pictures without knowledge of others aroudn them. Kind of a privacy thing.

I agree with the vib/ring and key lock when on a call thing, somewhat. Sometimes when I'm on a call I do want to get into my Calendar to check on scheduling, pass out a phone number, etc. Pros and cons to each way of thinking.

and as much as i love that piece of hardware, the whole snake oil salesman scheme that grew around it makes me sick.
    RIM is a business, and as such, they are required to make money. Maybe you were misled by a carrier salesperson, or maybe you believe that a "phone" that is this expensive should include anything and everything that could possibly be useful. I used to feel that way back in the day when I had Palm devices, etc., but the problem is that a feature I may find necessary isn't really necessary for other people, nor is it a determining factor in purchasing a device. We all have different needs, and the 3rd party market allows us to buy items that we need and forget the ones we don't need. If RIM (or any other manufacturer for that matter) tried to put every little request into a phone, then the OS would be more bloated than needed for the vast majority of people. Plus there would be a price increase to cover the costs of development (for items they don't need or even want).

Most carriers have a 14-30 day period where you can return a phone and try something else. This is because no one phone is going to be a perfect match for everyone. Everyone has different needs and wants, and as such, there is a free market to let you find the device that bests suits your needs.
    01-21-09 02:10 PM
    Even with PCs you have to pay for programs/applications. Why should a BB be different?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-09 02:31 PM
    It's good to see that the majority of the participants in this thread aren't becoming over-zealous cheerleaders only because they have BBs. Someone in this thread had alluded to something on the lines of: 'What did you expect, this is a BB-oriented forum". Well that may be the case; however it's pretty naieve to not approach things objectively and state the goods and bads about a certain device/its features/the service it's on, etc.
    01-21-09 02:37 PM
    Hmm. I have a suggestion for you. Why don't you get rid of the phone because you don't like too much about it. And next time you buy a phone don't base it just on advertisement obviously they aren't telling everything on the commercial because they can't that would take years! You need to research things like this especially being that its a blackberry not just a blackberry! I mean really with any phone.

Also being that it does more things targeted towards the the business world you can't expect it to do so many fun things... Even though RIM is starting to target main stream consumers, like you and I.

Data is one of those things you can like with or without. Luckily I'm on T-Mobile and you aren't required to have a data plan upon your purchase. Which is good becasur you can add it and cancel it at anytime. No I completely understand your problem with the shutter, and the vibe and ring those two options should clearly be a free included feature most deffinetly... Most phones have that and it does not need to be left out.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. But I feel your pain in some places

01-21-09 04:08 PM
    Blackberry has never ripped me off...... Maybe you pi$$ed them off.

01-21-09 04:14 PM
    theres tonns of software that i have to pay for in order to get a function that is totally free on most other phones.
    Suppress the camera shutter sound! for 3.95!!!
    ringtone alert and vibration alert at the same time.for 8 dollars yeeey

Stop your face from pressing keys on a call!2.95?? shouldnt that be included with original OS? on storm?
    I agree with this part of your post. These are the most basic of functions, and should be included as part of the operation of the phone. A special application running in the background should not be required.
    01-21-09 04:27 PM
    I agree with this part of your post. These are the most basic of functions, and should be included as part of the operation of the phone. A special application running in the background should not be required.
    Suppress the camera shutter sound! - Stop your face from pressing keys on a call!

So because these aren't important to me I have to lose some of my precious memory?

Do you want to give up some of your memory for a program I think is important but don't think so?

01-21-09 04:34 PM
    I have to say I appreciate the generally civil tone of the responses. It's nice to see that type of response to what's basically a rant.

Lastly a blackberry is a PDA and not a phone. You mentioned Nokia and another brand; these are mobile phones with computer capability. Blackberries are computers with mobile phone capability.
    This is a good summary of why I'm probably going to ditch my berry and go back to my old phone. Now that I've seen both sides of dumb phone vs. smart phone, I've realized that what I want is a phone that can also do email, not a computer that can also be a phone.
    01-21-09 05:29 PM
    If you pay me $19.99 and mail me your phone, I will exchange it for you*.

***must be within your 30-day exchange period and with full receipt. Please include prepaid return postage.
    01-21-09 06:22 PM
    Suppress the camera shutter sound! - Stop your face from pressing keys on a call!

So because these aren't important to me I have to lose some of my precious memory?

Do you want to give up some of your memory for a program I think is important but don't think so?

Perhaps you don't have cheeks, but those of us that do, with the storm, it's awful easy to mash down on the touchscreen. Have you even used a Storm yet besides punching buttons in the store?

That's a mighty high-horse chip-on-your-shoulder response from you. I guess it should be expected after reading some of your other replies.

Let me ask you the same question--So because these are not important to you, I shouldn't have them? I don't know about you, but I don't consider the options that would be integrated into the BB OS, in an already EXISTING menu, to be a "program", but call it whatever you want.

As far as the shutter sound, what do you mean by "suppress it"? If you had done a search, or knew anything about this phone, you would know that there is no option to turn the shutter sound "off".

Please think first, and do a little bit of research before the next time you reply about things which you do not know.

Again, these are not PROGRAMS. They are simple options that should be in the code of the OS. Please learn the difference.
    01-21-09 06:31 PM

The shutter sound would actually free up memory since there would be one less sound file stored.

...As far as the shutter sound, what do you mean by "suppress it"? If you had done a search, or knew anything about this phone, you would know that there is no option to turn the shutter sound "off".

Please think first, and do a little bit of research before the next time you reply about things which you do not know.

Again, these are not PROGRAMS. They are simple options that should be in the code of the OS. Please learn the difference.
    They didn't say anything about it existing. But, regardless of it being a program or coded into the OS, it is still programming lines of code that could take up memory. In that instance there is no difference. I think the term "program" is being used simply because there are other comments about the existing add-on application available for purchase. Yes, it could be coded in at the OS level, but it still would be extra lines of programming and albeit small still takes up memory.

There was no need for such a personal attack on this person either. While you may not agree with what was said, we can "argue" nicely
    01-21-09 08:31 PM
    ive got somewhere like 20 3rd party apps on my curve all of which are free you just have to dig for them until the app store gets here
    01-21-09 08:35 PM
154 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD