Wile the article about the two new companies was good , I also have a bad feeling about it as well.

When a company cannot make a go of it with their own brand, and they license it off or sell it can be a good thing. But the landscape is littered with companies that have done this, Motorola comes to mind. Zenith as well as Fisher Electronics. All either licensed or sold out right and all of them either dead or dying.

As a long time Blackberry user, it has always pained me to watch it slip and fall, one new phone after another.

What I fear with the new Blackberry mobile is this, the new phone Mercury looks good. But in the end the, people have settled on either Samsung or Apple. The Mercury looks great to us, but to a public that thinks Blackberry is dead or dying? I wonder if TCL will spend the cash or want to spend the cash to push a brand that was declared dead years ago.
    02-03-17 06:46 PM
    Woof!!

Posted via CB10
    02-03-17 06:47 PM
    I wonder if TCL will spend the cash or want to spend the cash to push a brand that was declared dead years ago.
    Well, BlackBerry was certainly not going to do it. So it can only get better.
    02-03-17 07:08 PM
    Well, BlackBerry was certainly not going to do it. So it can only get better.
    I hope but hope is never a plan. Motorola did it......and it is not going well. Zenith did and they are all but gone. Usually the parent company has so damaged the brand that its very hard to recover.
    02-03-17 07:12 PM
    Well, considering the number of years that I've already been hearing "BlackBerry is dead," it's not very worrying that there is now a separate "BlackBerry Mobile" entity. The only alternative to this would have been that the Priv was the last device they ever made and the end would have been then.

Try to take the same line of thinking that someone with a near-death experience would have for the company itself. Really, BlackBerry could have officially died off a while ago. They are still going. Just as every day or every breath is a gift, so is every new device. There is no point in gloom and doom about the brand anymore. That story is beyond old now... let's try and find some optimism for a change! The Mercury looks great and it's the first Android Berry that looks like a BlackBerry. It's exciting times!!!
    bh7171 and Sarek1701 like this.
    02-03-17 08:04 PM
    I hope but hope is never a plan. Motorola did it......and it is not going well. Zenith did and they are all but gone. Usually the parent company has so damaged the brand that its very hard to recover.
    Motorola is one of the top selling brands in India and other areas. The G4 and G4 Plus are very good budget Android phones with a close to stock Android experience. I agree Samsung and Apple tend to dominate the US but people will eventually realize 600+ for a mobile phone is absurd. It has happened across most computer related areas (desktop, laptop, tablets, etc)

Via the Cobalt Classic
    02-03-17 09:42 PM
    Well, considering the number of years that I've already been hearing "BlackBerry is dead," it's not very worrying that there is now a separate "BlackBerry Mobile" entity. The only alternative to this would have been that the Priv was the last device they ever made and the end would have been then.

Try to take the same line of thinking that someone with a near-death experience would have for the company itself. Really, BlackBerry could have officially died off a while ago. They are still going. Just as every day or every breath is a gift, so is every new device. There is no point in gloom and doom about the brand anymore. That story is beyond old now... let's try and find some optimism for a change! The Mercury looks great and it's the first Android Berry that looks like a BlackBerry. It's exciting times!!!
    You missed the point, I was just pointing out facts. Good feelings or hope is never a plan.
    02-04-17 11:23 AM
    Great a top selling brand in 1 market is not going to keep a company going. In the US people enjoy top end phones, India is another type of market. Just as China is, facts are facts. If Motorola was a top seller they would not have given up the brand.
    02-04-17 11:25 AM
    TCL seems to have done a good job with the Alcatel brand.
    02-04-17 08:38 PM
    I think it will be fine. It probably won't be a hot seller but I think it will keep people interested.
    02-04-17 11:51 PM
    You don't need to dominate the market. Xperia is making small profits now. I expect costs will be much lower for TCL, so no worries. Actually it is better than BlackBerry handling the mobile business on their own.
    02-05-17 04:00 AM
    But (in the good old days) there was a Brand Identity that BlackBerry was known for. Will the TCL "BlackBerry " up hold those traditions, or did they just buy the Goodwill that comes with the brand name. Will they uphold the "Old" positive BlackBerry standards?

A BlackBerry Fan
    02-05-17 07:10 AM