I'm sticking to BlackBerry because I love BlackBerry 10, If I would prefer the Android OS I would go in the android direction because is even cheaper... I understand that BlackBerry is a company and they have to make money so they must do whatever is better to increase the company profit but in that case I would give a try to Windows Phone because I can't with Android, I've tried but I can't.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 04:15 PM
    So all that investments in BB10 and now they will throw it all away? Competing in Android space is extremely hard and the profits aren't that great. You need something that is different and might appeal a smaller customer base. BB10 is just that, the differentiation that makes Blackberry unique from other Android phones. If Blackberry goes Android and ditch BB10, then I'm not their customer anymore. It's because of BB10 I buy their phones. If they lose those customers, then I think they are gone.

Vertical products are more profitable today. Good examples are Doro (simple phones, phones for people with impairments) and Bullitt Mobile Ltd (rugged Catepillar branded phones). Both of these companies make profit and they make profit because they have a special group of customers while their organization fits their turnover. Blackberry BB10 and their corporate solutions are vertical profit makers of Blackberry that need to secure before they venture off with Android or other endeavors.

Blackberry can make Android phones as well bit I think they will bite their profits rather than feed it because there is simply too much competition there.
    Case in point: Sony. Great phones, arguably top tier amongst all the Android phones, still dead in the water and dying.
    03-04-15 04:17 PM
    Case in point: Sony. Great phones, arguably top tier amongst all the Android phones, still dead in the water and dying.
    They wouldn't go in it to die.
    03-04-15 04:21 PM
    I use both. I think this is interesting. I'd like to see it.
    Sure I'd be interested in seeing a mock up or whatever you call it. But an official release of it would be the death of BlackBerry 10. Not willing to pay that price for the 5 minutes of novelty.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-04-15 04:23 PM
    The day they put the full Android OS on a Classic form factor device is the day I buy another BlackBerry device.

After owning the PlayBook and 2 WebOS devices, I've felt the sting of buying into a dead end platform and I'm not interested in doing it again. If BB10 was gonna catch on, it would have by now. After all this time on the market, and how poorly it has sold, I do believe Chen will cut his loses on the mistake that was started long before he took office. Taking all of the good features of BB10 and making them available to the competition is probably the first step in doing that.

BlackBerry was arrogant for believing they could take on iOS and Android OEMs with a brand new platform. Things could have worked out much better for them had they have switched to Android years ago. They certainly couldn't have done any worse than they did with BB10. Exciting times indeed.
    03-04-15 04:25 PM
    So, let's just say this was true. Wouldn't they want to appeal to the all touch crowd with a smartphone that would potentially run BB10 and Android at the same time and not a slider phone? Sure, experiment aftwards, but a slider phone?
    georg4BB likes this.
    03-04-15 04:25 PM
    I've said many times that BB should have adopted Android in 2010 instead of buying QNX and starting from scratch, given that they'd already burned at least 3 (and, in my mind, 4+) development years by that point, and wouldn't have a remotely viable product for another 4 years. Had they gone Android, they could have released a phone in 2011, and even if the BB features were very "v1.0", having a full ecosystem of apps and services would have given them the breathing room they needed to focus on improving their unique features. They'd have been a stand-out Android option - the "secure" Android if you will.

But it's 2015 now, and I don't see BB moving to Android at this point. Rather, I see Chen working to move BB features and services to Android and iOS, and once that's done, pulling the plug on BB hardware, or at the very least, reducing the BB hardware offering to a single, mid-tier "Bold"-type phone along the lines of the Classic, and offering that to Enterprise & Government, who require a higher level of security. For everyone else, "BB" will mean apps and services on Android and iOS.

What's crystal clear to me is that there's no way BB can make money selling 5-6M phones a year when they've got to make 8-12 hardware variants (not counting color options) between models and radios. There's just not enough efficiency of scale there. If they were making a single model with 2-3 radio variants, then maybe they could get away with those sales numbers, but 4+ models, with different radios and colors? That's a ton of SKUs for very few sales. And going to Android wouldn't help sales, because it still wouldn't solve their problems of a lack of a marketing budget or a huge lack of carrier relationships. They don't have the time or money to do enough to make any real difference there.
    Witmen, JeepBB, Bsbudd and 2 others like this.
    03-04-15 04:39 PM
    I wonder if this place is a blackberry fansite or death watch. Long live BlackBerry, maybe not so much Crackberry...

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 04:54 PM
    Is this whole thread the anti-argument to Blackberry getting out of the hardware business. Funny that this bubbles to the surface the day after the clowns who said blackberry was getting out of hardware were found to be decidedly wrong. Did it dawn on anyone that if blackberry is working to secure Android, that perhaps blackberry ought to try this on android devices. Seems sort of obvious.
    BionicKris likes this.
    03-04-15 05:03 PM
    If BlackBerry turns to android, I see my next phone is running windows. There are plenty of android phones on the market. I don't see myself using a BlackBerry made android phone. I am a super fan of BlackBerry because of their unique os. Wish it will not be happening.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and Jahcure like this.
    03-04-15 05:32 PM
    I feel like somewhere down the road, they will release a BlackBerry / Android hybrid, that allows you to use both operating systems without the need to reboot the phone (thanks to QNX Hypervisor).

This could be similar to the way WorkSpaces works on BlackBerry (Entreprise) phones: you would swipe down to switch between Android or BlackBerry OS, with unified notifications in the Hub. Any task completed or app used in the BlackBerry portion of the operating system, would still be "BlackBerry Secure", while users have the benefit of the vast Android Ecosystem just one downward swipe away.

THE BIG "IF":
    If it comes to the slider, we may have the best selling phone of the year! Imagine, the signature BlackBerry keyboard experience, paired with a full 16:9 Quad-HD display, powerful hardware, beautiful design, massive battery, and combined Android + BlackBerry OS... who could resist?

Plus, seeing as Samsung and BlackBerry are deepening their partnership, additional sales of this phone provides extra revenue for Samsung (hardware components are being sourced by Samsung). The only company to take a hit is Apple, especially if it converts some iPhone users over to this BlackBerry / Android hybrid... which is exactly what Samsung, BlackBerry and Google want.
    Last edited by chabouma; 03-04-15 at 08:34 PM.
    03-04-15 05:43 PM
    BlackBerry was arrogant for believing they could take on iOS and Android OEMs with a brand new platform.
    What about the arrogance of Apple and Google to take on BlackBerry and Nokia?
    03-04-15 05:47 PM
    What about the arrogance of Apple and Google to take on BlackBerry and Nokia?
    The market was completely different back then. Apple and Google both saw two has-beens, and knew that the smartphone market could be so much more and they were right. For example, the first iPhone was released in 2007. Back then, the majority of people were still using feature phones. For the entire year of 2007, BlackBerry only shipped 11 million devices and they had a massive chunk of the market at that time. Fast forward to 2013, when BB10 was launched, and you had Apple selling 70+ million iOS devices every quarter. Android was doing even better at that time.

It was just too late for a company like BlackBerry to launch a new smartphone platform. Look at all the resources Microsoft has, yet they are still struggling to get a considerable amount of the market.

So looking back on it now, do you think it was a good idea to release BlackBerry 10 when they did? Honestly, other than the billions of dollars worth of write offs, and all of the new features for iOS, Android and Windows Phone users, what has BB10 accomplished in all this time that it has been on the market?
    JeepBB, Bsbudd and techvisor like this.
    03-04-15 06:14 PM
    Or be friendlier with Google, which they seem to be working on. If it's beneficial on both sides, it could fly. Much like how the stigma surrounding BlackBerry is bad, Android has a security problem stigma they're trying to solve. If BlackBerry can help there then nothing is impossible. As you said, Google makes their own rules and can change when they want. Not so sure ASUS or MS had anything beneficial to offer Google at the time they squashed their products.
    Exactly. Google and BlackBerry team up, and then BAM! take over Apple
    03-04-15 06:34 PM
    Samsung is not going to abandon the operating system that will help make the Galaxy S6 their projected best selling device of all time. However they are still interested in growing Tizen and its ecosystem. With its existing hardware infrastructure and worldwide carrier support, BlackBerry would be the perfect catalyst to give Tizen a real chance of expansion in the market.
    Tizen has as much of a chance as BB10. If I were Samsung and I had to choose between the two, and which I would invest in further, it would be BlackBerry 10 due to its appeal to government and regulated industries.
    georg4BB likes this.
    03-04-15 06:46 PM
    True, but on the other hand they'd be catering to an audience that holds over 80% of the market rather than 1%.
    BlackBerry going Android makes no sense. The big Android differentiator is HW. This also happens to be the area BlackBerry is weakest in.
    georg4BB likes this.
    03-04-15 06:48 PM
    I doubt it. If anything, I think blackberry might load a virtualized OS in parallel to bb10...so if you want android, switch to the other OS. You could also dual boot android and bb10.. my only skepticism around my own premonition is that hardware would need to be improved, battery power, and how the apps would play with one another.

Hopefully, it's not just android... I would go the virtualization route first but that doesn't change the fact that android would not support a keyboard out of the box so bbry would have to write custom software to interpret blackberry programmatic events and translate them into the corresponding OS (much like how running a virtualized OS requires an application to interpret and translate the drivers with the hardware correctly
    03-04-15 06:53 PM
    What I want isn't the issue.

What BlackBerry needs to entice the 99% of consumers who don't buy their phones, might be a BB10-skinned "secure" Android phone.

And, at the risk of re-starting the "true multitasking" and "micro-kernel" nonsense of a few months ago, my Lumia multitasks very well indeed thanks.
    It's funny, a lot of people here cr@p on the hub, and peak and flow, security, etc, and say that nobody cares as BB only has 1% of the market. Now all of sudden if BB goes Android all of these things become relevant and important and will help them to sell phones in a very crowded arena of Android OEM's. I don't think so. It's BB10 or bust. And it's looking more like bust in the next 2-3 years for the HW division. But that's not because BB10 is a bad OS that doesn't function well. It's anything but that.

In terms of multitasking, all phones multi-task. That is not the question. It is how well they do it and how they have implemented it which are the questions.
    TGR1 and BionicKris like this.
    03-04-15 06:57 PM
    Lucas has been wrong before.

Posted via CB10
    TheAuthority likes this.
    03-04-15 07:32 PM
    A lot of you guys don't see what me and bla1ze see. You guys are still talking duel booting. BlackBerry will give you 1 os, Idk if Google will also adopt the QNX Kernel with android secured in the space or not but it will happen. Thanks to Hypervisor solution, BlackBerry can safely secure android while running BlackBerry 10. It might be some hurdles but it will happen. Chen talked about 1 device for all. 2 or more OS's on 1 device working and talking to each other.

Posted By My BeastBerry
    03-04-15 07:34 PM
    I believe BB10 has real competitive advantage in enterprises and secure thirsty organizations. IMHO, they're unmatched there.
    I believe the BB10 experience can be somehow frustrating or may appear as 'half baked' for several individual power users .
    I believe Google will never allow/grant any brand to sell devices with another OS than their Android and gain GPS.

So, what do I have left to inject in the mix ?
    Run an android (but then, why not WP while at it ? ) VM over BB10 ? Wahoutch, you'd better have monster specs (CPU, Memory, storage and of course a gigantic battery) to do that... maybe in 5 years. Not now.

Stand with BB10 for anything enterprise but offer BES customers to run android in the personal perimeter, thanks to balance? I like this idea... but can we be certain this won't expose device global security and keep the waterproof barrier intact ?

Simply stick to BB10 and improve Android 'runtime', Amazon way ?
    J. Chen is a pragmatic CEO. So never say never, an opportunity could emerge.
    But he's not improvising and the plan is globally set for the next two years, he delivers with sharp & tailored teams. Therefore, I buy the status quo.

Finally, if I can see only one scenario where BlackBerry devices run (Google) Android as the main OS ... it's the day - if ever - they'll decide to sell HW division. But these won't be BlackBerry devices anymore...
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 03-05-15 at 03:28 AM.
    03-04-15 07:38 PM
    OUCH! =-SS

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on 4G Altel network
    03-04-15 07:54 PM
    Man I hope this doesn't happen

Posted on my Z30.......while on the can
    03-04-15 08:03 PM
    I will stick to BlackBerry devices just as long as they are available and supported by the company. I just hope BlackBerry has long term plans for their own devices.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 08:04 PM
    I don't want android, it is full of flaws and bloats.
    i love BB10 and QNX
    03-04-15 08:37 PM
461 12345 ...