I have my blackberry set to save all my bbm conversations onto my media card, but for some reasons, for certain contacts, the conversation history starts disappearing after around 2 to 3 weeks. I'm assuming the reason is memory related as the only contact this is happening to is the person I'm constantly bbm'ing basically, but my media card still has 1.6gb/1.8gb free space so it shouldn't be because my media card can't hold it. I want to be able to see my full conversation history with this person (dating back to around xmas).

Also for some other contacts, despite me not talking to them a lot like the one I mentioned above, some of the history just disappears (all this is from "view chat history" from BBM). So some questions:

1) Is there a way to stop my blackberry from deleting the bbm history?
    2) Is the history that's disappeared lost forever?
    3) If not, can I set blackberry messenger to show the history that is no longer being shown?

Thanks for the help.
    02-08-11 04:20 PM
    *Bump* Could someone please help me with this issue?
    02-09-11 09:26 PM
    I'm having the same issue. At first I thought it could be my memory card, so I upgraded to a 16gb. That was a waste, cause it didn't fix the problem. It's driving me absolutely nuts! Someone please help....Thanks!
    02-12-11 04:21 PM
    Check on media card > blackberry > im > blackberry messenger > history and see if there are any csv files with parenthesis and numbers, like (1), (2) or so. If not, just try opening the csv file on your computer with any text editor and see how far back does the conversation go.

Also check on device memory > home > user > im > blackberry messenger > history
    02-12-11 04:27 PM
    Check on media card > blackberry > im > blackberry messenger > history and see if there are any csv files with parenthesis and numbers, like (1), (2) or so. If not, just try opening the csv file on your computer with any text editor and see how far back does the conversation go.

Also check on device memory > home > user > im > blackberry messenger > history
    Thanks for the response. Is there any way to make these old conversations viewable from my phone when I go to "view chat history"?
    02-14-11 12:46 AM
    Thanks for the response. Is there any way to make these old conversations viewable from my phone when I go to "view chat history"?
    Do you have files parenthesis and numbers?

If so, the only way to merge these files would be with a text editor on the computer, like notepad or notepad++ (notepad++ recommended). You would then have to check the timestamps to see which one comes first and copy and paste from one file to the other, making sure you dont leave any empty lines, except for the very last one, which would be the end of file "empty" line.
    02-14-11 02:11 AM
    Is there a way to view the contents of my microSD card by connecting my phone to my computer via USB? I can't find the adapter to make my microSD card fit in the SD card slot of my laptop.
    02-17-11 06:41 PM
    Is there a way to view the contents of my microSD card by connecting my phone to my computer via USB? I can't find the adapter to make my microSD card fit in the SD card slot of my laptop.
    Obviously... Just connect the phone to the computer with the usb cable and choose usb drive in the menu that pops up in the phone. Then the computer will go ahead with the autoplay or just open my computer and they will be there.
    02-17-11 06:44 PM
    I just checked and I have one .csv file and one .OLD file. The .OLD file only has history back to the 9th even though I should have history with this contact back to December. My phone seems to be consistently deleting the history. How do I get this to stop? And I'm guessing all my old history is gone forever
    02-18-11 04:10 PM
    Check on the microsd and onboard memory. These two drives show up in "my computer" when you connect the phone.

Have you done any OS upgrades? Changed phones? Upgraded blackberry messenger? These are the only reasons I can think of why they would get deleted/renamed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-11 12:54 AM
    I'm not sure how to check the onboard memory, I'm on a recently purchased macbook pro. And yes, I upgraded to OS 6.0 on my Bold 9650 recently (and I think BBM updated automatically) but the bbm history was going missing from my phone even before I upgraded.
    02-19-11 01:27 AM
    *bump* please help. My bbm still consistently deletes my chat history with this contact every 2 weeks or so, by entire weeks at a time

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-11 04:06 AM
    Hi

i investigated this myself a while back as i wanted to know also what happens and here is the final result:

BBM has 2 files:

1- a .csv file
    2- a .old file

the history kept is based on file size and not days. Once the .csv file becomes around 147K it is renamed to .old and a new .csv file is created.

The next time around the .old file is replaced with the new .old file and the .csv file is again wiped. On and on and on ....

You need to copy the .old file to your pc and keep it safe everytime it is changed so you keep your history.

Nothing else can be done.
    02-28-11 07:46 AM
    Thanks all for the valuable information.

With my phone it's a bit different. I own a BB Bold 9700, and for more than 1.5 years of using it, it never deleted any chatting history. Recently, this started to happen, with some contacts, not all of them. Some contacts I still do have chat history with them back to the very first days I owned my phone, others their history is being deleted on a weekly basis.

I thought at first that it might be a memory thing, but my memory card had more than 6 GB of free memory. I changed the settings to save the history on my phone memory instead of the mini SD, nothing changed. I thought there must be some problem with my phone's OS, so I upgraded the phone's OS, still facing the same problem, just noticed that the contacts who their chat history was being deleted on a weekly basis, turned to being deleted on a daily basis.

I checked with one of those contacts, and they did have all our conversation history saved on their phone.

Hope someone can help me find out how to stop my BB from deleting those contacts' chatting history.

Thanks for your time
    08-22-12 09:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD