Even though BlackBerry introduced Android Phones we are not seeing great responses from market towards BlackBerry Android phones and also if I am not wrong the sales figures are also not good. Do you think BlackBerry Mercury phone will make a momentum in BlackBerry phone sales? Do you thing BlackBerry Mercury will be a successful phone?

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 10:31 AM
    I think it will sell better than the dtek series for sure BUT it really doesnt matter. TCL is the one that really is taking on all the expenses now.
    02-23-17 10:38 AM
    It'll be interesting to see how this plays on nostalgia and how many people it convinces to upgrade from bb10.

That being said I still think the pkb is a niche device that won't have a crazy response. I think it will do well with this community but I think future devices are more likely going to be an indicator of success.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 10:42 AM
    We need a definition of succes for a good answer.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbb10; 02-23-17 at 11:12 AM.
    TGR1 likes this.
    02-23-17 10:46 AM
    Of course it will, positivity is key

Posted Via Passport with CB10 app
    02-23-17 10:46 AM
    In others news...the Passport sold out. Goodbye BB10!

"Its the beginning of a new age"
    -Lou Reed
    02-23-17 01:39 PM
    Success..... If you look at TCL's overall Shipment Statement from January.... their mobile division is down about 34% YOY. So most anything that increases sales is going to be a success for them.

But TCL's mission for BlackBerry is to capture existing "mature" (their words) customers and Enterprise customers.... I would expect they have seen recent sales figures from BlackBerry and have kept their expectations within reason. And they made it clear they were sticking with the Alcatel brand for younger and new customers. So don't be surprised if the relationships that TCL said they have been working on for years with Carriers... doesn't put Alcatel front and center, with BlackBerry where it has been in the past.... kept around for commercial customers.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-23-17 02:17 PM
    For myself, it's all about how they price and promote the Mercury. If the price is between $450-499 US I think they will have a winner. Pricing is not only important in the consumer sector, but also the enterprise sector where a lot of companies are now focused on buying capital equipment that is value added. Now it's wait and see.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    02-23-17 02:29 PM
    For myself, it's all about how they price and promote the Mercury. If the price is between $450-499 US I think they will have a winner. Pricing is not only important in the consumer sector, but also the enterprise sector where a lot of companies are now focused on buying capital equipment that is value added. Now it's wait and see.
    Yet companies pay north of $700 for iPhones or S7 Knox devices.

You would think the comparable DTEK60 could blow the doors off the secure-device market.

Maybe it really is all about the brand.
    02-23-17 02:35 PM

You would think the comparable DTEK60 could blow the doors off the secure-device market.

Especially in today's world where the corporate folks are looking at ways to save money. The DTEK series are a perfect fit and much cheaper then their competitors.
    02-23-17 02:48 PM
    There's no denying that corporations tend to stay away from brands that appear to be dying - they tend to value long-term support far more than consumers because they are much slower to upgrade and expect to get more life out of a device than the 2 years that most consumers expect.

That has kept companies away from BB for the last several years, including post-Android. The question now is whether they are willing to reconsider now that TCL is running the show. I suspect many will still distrust the situation, as it would be easy for either partner to pull out of the agreement within the time window of a typical corporate contract - or at least that is likely a consideration.

BB has 5 straight years of negative growth and has existed the hardware business themselves... That isn't likely to inspire a lot of confidence from people who are unbiased potential buyers. So TCL is going to have some work ahead of them.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    02-23-17 03:12 PM
    Success..... If you look at TCL's overall Shipment Statement from January.... their mobile division is down about 34% YOY. So most anything that increases sales is going to be a success for them.

But TCL's mission for BlackBerry is to capture existing "mature" (their words) customers and Enterprise customers.... I would expect they have seen recent sales figures from BlackBerry and have kept their expectations within reason. And they made it clear they were sticking with the Alcatel brand for younger and new customers. So don't be surprised if the relationships that TCL said they have been working on for years with Carriers... doesn't put Alcatel front and center, with BlackBerry where it has been in the past.... kept around for commercial customers.
    Whe did they say the Alcatel brand is what they are sticking with for younger and new customers?
    02-23-17 03:19 PM
    Whe did they say the Alcatel brand is what they are sticking with for younger and new customers?
    It was a press release.
    02-23-17 03:21 PM
    It was a press release.
    I would like to read that. Is this being misinterpreted or something? For them to not want new customers for BlackBerry is ridiculous since that would highly limit their chance at success considering there are barely any old BlackBerry customers remaining. Would sort of defeat the purpose of taking this thing on if they don't plan on acquiring any new customers.
    02-23-17 03:24 PM
    I would like to read that. Is this being misinterpreted or something? For them to not want new customers for BlackBerry is ridiculous since that would highly limit their chance at success considering there are barely any old BlackBerry customers remaining. Would sort of defeat the purpose of taking this thing on if they don't plan on acquiring any new customers.
    I'm sure they want any new customers they can get. But TCL owns the Alcatel Brand... thus that (and TCL in general) is their focus and is where they will spend money on Marketing and Advertising the most. Now how much money and effort TCL will put into someone else's brand.. we will find out.

If you were to leased a home with no option to buy it.... would you pay for a new roof and have a pool installed?
    02-23-17 03:43 PM
    I'm sure they want any new customers they can get. But TCL owns the Alcatel Brand... thus that (and TCL in general) is their focus and is where they will spend money on Marketing and Advertising the most. Now how much money and effort TCL will put into someone else's brand.. we will find out.

If you were to leased a home with no option to buy it.... would you pay for a new roof and have a pool installed?
    Well if the home was making me money, of which i only had to give away a small portion (licence fee) then yes I would if I thought it would lead to more money. Pretty simple business or else I wouldn't bother leasing the home in the first place.
    02-23-17 03:47 PM

Except companies don't pay those prices.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-23-17 05:55 PM
    Except companies don't pay those prices.
    Of course, but they don't for BlackBerry devices either. So, the differential still exists.
    02-23-17 05:57 PM
    Of course, but they don't for BlackBerry devices either.
    True, but carrier availability has been limited with BlackBerry devices as of late.
    02-23-17 05:58 PM
    "BlackBerry Mercury will it be a success?"

No, everything with a BlackBerry logo on it unfortunately sells extremely poorly.
    techvisor likes this.
    02-23-17 07:07 PM
    Honestly it depends on what success is defined as. Will it sell millions of devices? I don't think so. Will it sell a million devices, I doubt it. When BB launched the Z10 everyone was in here saying that as soon as they released a keyboard version of it that the devices would fly off the shelves. That obviously didn't happen. The excuse given was that it didn't have the trackpad and that people wouldn't adapt to a keyboard phone without that. So BlackBerry then releases the Classic. People again were saying this was the device to put Blackberry on the map again. Sales were miserable.

Fast forward to Android. When the Priv was announced people said "An Android phone with a keyboard. This is the one that will sell." Sales were miserable. The excuse given was "well people want an all touch Android phone, not a slider." So Blackberry releases the DTEK50. Sales were miserable. The excuse given was that the specs were weak and people didn't want an overpriced device with garbage specs. So BlackBerry releases the DTEK 60. "This is the one! Its got relevant specs and will sell through the roof!" Again, sales were miserable.

I hope it sells well but I honestly don't think that BlackBerry can compete in the Android space. Its way to competitive and I don't think there are enough people out there wanting a keyboard device that is going to cause this device to have any meaningful sales. If they are only after a small portion of the business market then they might be able to do something there, but as far as this device making BlackBerry a relevant player again, I just don't see it happening. And honestly its no skin off of BlackBerry if it doesn't sell since they didn't make the device.
    ominaxe and AluminiumRims like this.
    02-24-17 08:49 AM
    Honestly it depends on what success is defined as. Will it sell millions of devices? I don't think so. Will it sell a million devices, I doubt it. When BB launched the Z10 everyone was in here saying that as soon as they released a keyboard version of it that the devices would fly off the shelves. That obviously didn't happen. The excuse given was that it didn't have the trackpad and that people wouldn't adapt to a keyboard phone without that. So BlackBerry then releases the Classic. People again were saying this was the device to put Blackberry on the map again. Sales were miserable.

Fast forward to Android. When the Priv was announced people said "An Android phone with a keyboard. This is the one that will sell." Sales were miserable. The excuse given was "well people want an all touch Android phone, not a slider." So Blackberry releases the DTEK50. Sales were miserable. The excuse given was that the specs were weak and people didn't want an overpriced device with garbage specs. So BlackBerry releases the DTEK 60. "This is the one! Its got relevant specs and will sell through the roof!" Again, sales were miserable.

I hope it sells well but I honestly don't think that BlackBerry can compete in the Android space. Its way to competitive and I don't think there are enough people out there wanting a keyboard device that is going to cause this device to have any meaningful sales. If they are only after a small portion of the business market then they might be able to do something there, but as far as this device making BlackBerry a relevant player again, I just don't see it happening. And honestly its no skin off of BlackBerry if it doesn't sell since they didn't make the device.
    You make some very valid points, I would think at this stage of the game they would be concerned with the pricing in regards to the enterprise sector and if they price it right, that will spill over into the consumer sector which will be mostly Blackberry faithful. As I said before, now it's a wait and see.
    02-24-17 09:40 AM
    I feel better about its chances w BlackBerry mobile than BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    02-24-17 06:13 PM

This is the best answer. Thread closed!
    02-24-17 06:25 PM
    I'm not sure I agree with all of the points made here. Definitely the Q10 was going to be "the one that sells", and I heard very much the same thing with the Classic. Every other device it seems fell under the radar, except for the Priv which was launched at such a ridiculously high price that any momentum it could have had was killed.

The DTEK's, we'll if it wasn't for these forums I wouldn't even know they existed. The Mercury I think stands a chance at getting some buzz given that it is the first non-BB BlackBerry device, and there isn't too much else to steal the show at this point.

But it needs some visibility...which means carrier support. Hopefully TCL will be able to make that happen.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-17 06:40 PM
48 12