I am just having fun. I have Google Maps, Waze, and Scout installed on my phone, just in case... I travel a lot. However I have been happy using BlackBerry Maps. However I could not stand the fact that it never told me which side of the road my destination was. It seems so petty, but I have almost missed appointments because I would pass my destination and be forced to succumb to long u turns. Anyhow:

I am happy to report that yesterday BlackBerry Maps informed me my destination was on the right side in a very crowded area. I scored a spot right in front of it at a perfect time.

I just wanted to share. 😜

Posted via CB10
    nick13b and Andy_bb_king like this.
    05-15-15 08:02 AM
    Glad to hear it's improving.

Unfortunately it still isn't as good as Google Maps especially when it comes to traffic. There are times when I open up both maps side by side and BlackBerry Maps will show most roads are good, but Google maps will show all the congested roads.

Unlike Google maps, the searching for establishments is hit or miss. . E.g if I want to search a restaurant name instead of inputting an address.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 08:06 AM
    I'm a rural mail carrier and many times, I've had to jump on a route that I've never done. I've always used Blackberry Maps, and for what I need it for, it's been fantastic.
    nick13b and 1raygin like this.
    05-15-15 08:10 AM
    Glad to hear it's improving.

Unfortunately it still isn't as good as Google Maps especially when it comes to traffic. There are times when I open up both maps side by side and BlackBerry Maps will show most roads are good, but Google maps will show all the congested roads.

Unlike Google maps, the searching for establishments is hit or miss. . E.g if I want to search a restaurant name instead of inputting an address.

Posted via CB10
    In the 10.3.1 version of maps I find it is pretty good at locating POI's, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. I've tested searching for popular establishments though. May not work as well searching for one off mom and pop places.

Agree the traffic info is not consistent with Google. That needs improvement.

If they can get transit and walking directions and improve traffic data I would consider it a pretty good native maps solution.
    05-15-15 09:59 AM
    I've had pretty good experience with BB Maps and traffic recently. Just this week I used it to drive from Philly to Providence. I know the route well, but I used it anyway to see if it would suggest alternates due to traffic situations, since this stretch of I-95 can be very congested. It did so, routing me off I-95 for a while in Connecticut, then back on, due to traffic. Another time, it announced it would reroute me, then updated and switched back, presumably because the traffic situation had cleared.

And like the OP, I've also noticed that it's now telling me what side my destination is on.

While we were in RI, we had to go from Warwick to Smithfield. There are several ways to do it. It was around rush hour and traffic was heavy. I used BB Maps and a passenger in the car used Google Maps. Both arrived at the same route, which was not the way I would have chosen (I grew up there and know the roads pretty well), to avoid traffic.

I think it has definitely improved.

This is unfortunately true. I'll try searching with BB Maps first, but if it fails I'll use BeMaps Pro and then fork back out to BB Maps when it finds the POI that BB Maps missed. And occasionally I just use Google Maps on the Passport, which works fine in any case.

I note that Google Maps now gets intermittent updates from Waze, and announces the fact in a popup.
    05-15-15 10:07 AM
    I'm generally content with BlackBerry Maps. I find that the search function works very well, and that it's extremely accurate on both current and destination locations, as is the voice guidance.

My only beef is that it can be somewhat insane in the route it chooses. I'll often type in an address just to see which part of town it's in, then ignore the app until I get to that neighbourhood. Route optimization needs some work.

Posted via CB10 on PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2267
    05-15-15 11:54 AM
    I am not always 100% happy with Google Maps either. It treats a light at an intersection as traffic. It also sucks at working in the background. It uses up a lot of resources. Same issue when I had my LG.

I was just noting that BlackBerry is finally figuring out how to do one of the simpler things. It's sad that it has never had this. But I am glad to see it starting. I will keep trying it out.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 02:01 PM
    I usually use Bemaps pro, but since it doesn't have its own turn by turn it reverts and opens the native map app.
    05-15-15 04:22 PM
    I'm a rural mail carrier and many times, I've had to jump on a route that I've never done. I've always used Blackberry Maps, and for what I need it for, it's been fantastic.
    Same here. I visit facilities and patients ' homes for work and use BlackBerry Maps. It has been on point and very happy with it.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 08:49 AM
    I was just noting that BlackBerry is finally figuring out how to do one of the simpler things. It's sad that it has never had this. But I am glad to see it starting. I will keep trying it out.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry use to have it on BBOS. Just not on BB10. There's a couple things from their BBOS app that I hope they bring back. Trip stats for one.

If they were to introduce walking & transit directions, along with better routing control (like custom waypoints) I think I would be very happy

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 09:09 AM