In my opinion I think blackberry is given up to soon on blackberry os10.

#1 You can't make a totally new os from the ground up and expect people to find you and buy your devices in droves with out advertising for one.

#2 as much as I like a physical keyboard, blackberry needs to realize that the demand for a keyboard phone is pretty much done and over with, let's face it most of the people that had the keyboard experience are older now me included and the younger generation has adopted the touch style of keyboard as I have been slowly doing myself it just works and the younger generation are the ones driving sales, the masses.

#3 another part of the problem is that dreaded beat to death word APPS
    In this day and age you have to have apps to go with your brand of phones,
    And Blackberrys half *** fix to the problem was to offer the Amazon app store.
    Instead of spending God knows what on developing this android blackberry thing why didn't they spend the money on app development and product advertising??

#4 the android blackberry with a physical keyboard???? Really, sorry but even as much as I like a physical keyboard in this day and age there just isn't enough people out there in my opinion to buy a device with a physical keyboard period!!

Just when the os was starting to mature and was getting really good they decided to go the android way, what a bummer .

So today I went out and bought the iPhone 6s, I own a small business I'm currently a one man business and I'm trying to curb my Re occurring expenses and my land line phone bill with Internet was just too expensive $163.00 per month. I will be using this new phone for my phone obviously and my credit card terminal which will also eliminate another expense. The reason I chose the iPhone is because I know the apps I need to use will work every time no questions asked. With blackberry bouncing all around the place I can't trust that my credit card app will work with out issue .

I've played around with iphones on and off over the years and to be honest the os sucks, (not an android fan either) the notifications are a joke, the way you move in and out of apps is a joke,
    Speed of the phone ha another joke I bought the latest and greatest and my two year old z30 is so far ahead of the iPhone it's not even funny.
    But you know what you push the app icon and it works.

The only thing the iPhone has that's better is yes your going to hear it Apps that work that people either need or want, every iPhone no matter how old gets the latest os software updates so you don't have a good device be it older left running on old software, and a bad *** camera you can't deny that for a phone there camera is good.

My point is with blackberry jumping all over the place there never going to sell phones in mass quantity especially physical keyboard phones because Blackberrys is unstable and unreliable!! And when it comes to deciding on what phone to spend your hard earned money who are you going to go with??
    I myself have purchased a q10, z10, z30 and now going on two months my wife a passport and now they are going to drop os 10.
    I'm not even going to add that up because I know a lot you have done the same.

As for the iPhone it's for work because it's only for my land line credit card terminal and to keep my business Facebook page updated because I know that the apps I need will be there, but for my personal phone

I WILL BE KEEPING MY Z30 !!!!!

BlackBerry please stick to developing os10!!!

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 09:19 PM
    They just can't compete against the giants - end of story.

Microsoft was able to ride out several failed releases of their Surface tablet, and I wouldn't be surprised if one day their phones will be a legitimate contender as people will eventually get bored of iOS and Android.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    10-06-15 09:26 PM
    #4 the android blackberry with a physical keyboard???? Really, sorry but even as much as I like a physical keyboard in this day and age there just isn't enough people out there in my opinion to buy a device with a physical keyboard period!!

Posted via CB10
    Funny and insightful that you mentioned this policy. I'm curious what's your twisted reason why this doesn't pay to BB10 device. Let's see just how many were sold this past quarter? Then only 1.3million last and there,are 3 full kb device on the market by BlackBerry.

So I must ask you to employ your own reasoning of point 4 above to this and say to yourself if you ran BlackBerry why would you continue ; especially if you can do the same on a completely free platform that costs you nothing but a few hours of labour to update the code, at 1/8th coding bb10 used to cost you. Let's not other those in the past 12 mths activating on BES are activating more on competing platforms.

Hmmm

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 09:28 PM
    Funny and insightful that you mentioned this policy. I'm curious what's your twisted reason why this doesn't pay to BB10 device. Let's see just how many were sold this past quarter? Then only 1.3million last and there,are 3 full kb device on the market by BlackBerry.

So I must ask you to employ your own reasoning of point 4 above to this and say to yourself if you ran BlackBerry why would you continue ; especially if you can do the same on a completely free platform that costs you nothing but a few hours of labour to update the code, at 1/8th coding bb10 used to cost you. Let's not other those in the past 12 mths activating on BES are activating more on competing platforms.

Hmmm

Posted via CB10
    because they sold more touch screen phones than physical keyboard board phones

Posted via CB10
    Jakob Greve likes this.
    10-06-15 09:34 PM
    BlackBerry can try developing BlackBerry 10 further but in the industry money speaks, and the money is in Android right now.

BlackBerry didn't go Android because they want to, but because they have to. Chen recognized that people want apps, and the only way to get apps is by getting Google Play Services. There's no way around that

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    10-06-15 09:44 PM
    BlackBerry can try developing BlackBerry 10 further but in the industry money speaks, and the money is in Android right now.

BlackBerry didn't go Android because they want to, but because they have to. Chen recognized that people want apps, and the only way to get apps is by getting Google Play Services. There's no way around that

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    I don't know all the answers that's for sure, but for one android is a super competitive market there are so many device choices in the android market and on top of it there's companies from China that are getting into the android market with some very nice offerings with very cheap prices and high end specs.

As far as apps apple doesn't need Google play services to have apps.
    Granted they have had their own app store for a long time now.
    Os10 is only three years old

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    10-06-15 09:54 PM
    Although it is seemingly less of a priority now for new enhancements, BB10 is not dead. Works great for all I need. (admittedly not an app guy).

More doom and gloom.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 09:56 PM
    Although it is seemingly less of a priority now for new enhancements, BB10 is not dead. Works great for all I need. (admittedly not an app guy).

More doom and gloom.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not a huge app person either, most of what comes built in to blackberry like the calendar, remember, password keeper can't be beat for me and the flick typing is just amazingly fast. But there is a few apps I need

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 10:15 PM
    It costs them a fortune to keep developing BB10. Given BlackBerry history, there were probably hundreds of software engineers working on BB10 and charging millions upon millions of dollars for the work. BlackBerry has never been known for wise financial decisions and it's been said their corporate atmosphere is highly dysfunctional.

It's just not worth their time to keep building an OS that basically nobody bought into over a 2.5 year period.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 12:21 AM
    I'm not sure you can call this giving up, it's just a question of waking up and realising that BB10 users will always have a small user base and flowing with what works, Android, but with BB security. Plus the typo keyboard clearly showed there's a market for keyboards still, hence Priv. I'm buying one to replace my Android phone that's for sure, and the specs look impressive......BB10 will still be there for the small and limited user base I reckon. It's not giving up, but evolution and adaptation to the business environment. I'm just glad BlackBerry is still slugging it out!
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    10-07-15 12:49 AM
    My point is with blackberry jumping all over the place there never going to sell phones in mass quantity especially physical keyboard phones because Blackberrys is unstable and unreliable!!
    It looks like this heart of the matter got lost among all the rest, so I'll just pare it out for visisbility. :7

The switch, and seeming PlayBooking of BB10, is yet another indication of BlackBerry drifting aimlessly, which sends a message of unreliability, especially to corporate customers, who are supposedly the main target demographic.

A responsible manager must ask themselves: "How long will the Committment to Android last, and how well will it be supported while it does?"
    Jakob Greve, Q10Bold and BuryLancs like this.
    10-07-15 01:36 AM
    Nobody will know how good or bad the decision to build a BlackBerry android will be until it gets into the hands of users. If BlackBerry can make it run similar to BB10 and have Google Play straight out of the box, they will certainly raise some eyebrows.
    Not only that, but BlackBerry is also in need of some consumer goodwill. If they can provide a decently secure android experience that is simple to navigate, then I think they may have a solid device for consideration for mass appeal.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Wrec likes this.
    10-07-15 03:02 AM
    I don't know all the answers that's for sure, but for one android is a super competitive market there are so many device choices in the android market and on top of it there's companies from China that are getting into the android market with some very nice offerings with very cheap prices and high end specs.

As far as apps apple doesn't need Google play services to have apps.
    Granted they have had their own app store for a long time now.
    Os10 is only three years old

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry have tried the BlackBerry 10 way. It didn't work. There were many problems such as lack of advertising but that's the past. We admit we made mistakes and try to fix the situation.

BlackBerry 10 is an amazing OS, it handily beats iOS and Android in terms of what it can do, but the money isn't in the OS, it's in the apps. If you think about it this is how it has always been: you don't buy Windows for the Windows itself, you buy Windows because it runs the apps that you need. Same as Mac and Linux.

BlackBerry have to try the Android side, lest they languish even further and regret not trying it. At the very least now there's one less issue they have to deal with: lack of apps.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    10-07-15 03:45 AM
    As to #1 and #3, it is a myth that Blackberry failed to advertise BB10 and that it didn't try to get app developers on board. BB did both of those things, but within the limits of the budget of a relatively small and financially struggling company. You can't compare the efforts of BB to the likes of Apple, Google, or Microsoft, BBs most significant competitors in the mobile OS market. If those companies release a new anything, they might spend more than all of BBs liquid assets to advertise and gather developer support. The reality is that BB was just too small and too cash poor of a company to be able to take on the monumental tasks of both developing and ensuring market success of a new OS. You can blame BB for trying in the first place, but if you assume that was an acceptable move to try, you can't blame them for failing to spend a fantasy amount of money to advertise and gather support.

You're just way more likely to see a McDonald's commercial than a Jimmy's Burgers commercial. The reason is obvious and it's not the fault of Jimmy's Burgers' marketing department (I made that company up btw). Some companies have vastly more money than others to spend on marketing.
    10-07-15 05:41 AM
    What I don't understand is why blackberry can't have the current os10 with android, you know so the phone operates just like current blackberry devices but but has the Google play services so all the android apps work as they should and call it android??

This new device os the priv looks like android with the some of the blackberry os10 features being used like an app, which means you don't get the fluid movement of the way you move around and go into and out of apps like in os10. Am I correct on this?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 05:51 AM
    I'm not sure you can call this giving up, it's just a question of waking up and realising that BB10 users will always have a small user base and flowing with what works, Android, but with BB security. Plus the typo keyboard clearly showed there's a market for keyboards still, hence Priv. I'm buying one to replace my Android phone that's for sure, and the specs look impressive......BB10 will still be there for the small and limited user base I reckon. It's not giving up, but evolution and adaptation to the business environment. I'm just glad BlackBerry is still slugging it out!
    How many of those keyboard add on's have you seen when you're out and about??, I have never seen one,

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 05:56 AM
    They offered developers financial incentives in the beginning. They had international developer conferences. What more could they do? You want more half-baked apps? How's that Facebook app working for everyone? And while I appreciate the efforts of developers, people seem to generally want apps developed by the service they are providing because they work best.

And it's not just games and social apps. Apps for various professions are coming out all the time and will never be developed for BlackBerry either natively or by a 3rd party. The forums have plenty of comments from lawyers, engineers, professors, etc. that are literally falling behind their peers because they can't be as productive. And many of these apps are not offered by Amazon. And we all know what a gamble it is to run Android apps that often don't work properly, drain the battery, and don't close. And the average consumer does not want to tinker and sideload.

And you have to remember the ecosystem offered by the other platforms--those phones are integrated into an entire hardware environment of tvs, computers, tablets, etc. I have family that will never give up their iPhones because they can control what media their kids have access to across all their hardware as well as share media across different devices and users.

Imagine if they were a computer developer who couldn't get Microsoft to make Office for them. People want convenience, ease of use, and the programs everyone else is using to make their lives and jobs easier. I used to pride myself on owning my Q10 and knowing about alternative apps, sideloading, porting, etc. Now, it is just inconvenient. There are so many things I cannot do anymore on my phone that others can easily running the other platforms.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Emaderton3; 10-07-15 at 06:27 AM.
    10-07-15 06:14 AM
    How many of those keyboard add on's have you seen when you're out and about??, I have never seen one,

Posted via CB10
    Nor have I. Very good point.

I thought that, at my age, I would have a problem typing on glass but it took no time to convert from the PKB.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2474 Get's a Ten from Fen.
    10-07-15 06:21 AM
    They offered developers financial incentives in the beginning. They had international developer conferences. What more could they do? You want more half-baked apps? How's that Facebook app working for everyone? And while I appreciate the efforts of developers, people seem to generally want apps developed by the service they are providing because they work best.

And it's not just games and social apps. Apps for various professions are coming out all the time and will never be developed for BlackBerry either natively or by a 3rd party. The forums have plenty of comments from lawyers, engineers, professors, etc. that are literally falling behind their peers because they can't be as productive. And many of these apps are not offered by Amazon. And we all know what a gamble it is to run Android apps that often don't work properly, drain the battery, and don't close. And the average consumer does not want to tinker and sideload.

And you have to remember the ecosystem offered by the other platforms--those phones are integrated into an entire hardware environment of tvs, computers, tablets, etc. I have family that will never give up their iPhones because they can control what media their kids have access to across all their hardware as well as share media across different devices and users.

Imagine if they were a computer developer who couldn't get Microsoft to make Office for them. People want convenience, ease of use, and the programs everyone else is using to make their lives and jobs easier. I used to pride myself on owning my Q10 and knowing about alternative apps, sideloading, porting, etc. Now, it is just inconvenient. There are so many things I cannot do anymore on my phone that others can easily running the other platforms.

Posted via CB10
    They had the app-scandal adding fake apps. That's worse than having no apps at all since people want to see credibility and something growing especially new apps. The spent money on the commercial flop at the SuperBowl and their products didn't get ready. You can discuss who is to blame but thats it. Also BB10 had more active devolpers from the launch of BB10 than BBOS ever had. (you can even use wiki for reference). However they failed to get in bed with the big guns like Netflix instagram Facebook you name it. So it's not so much an app-gap more like the few apps that everyone actually need ain't there.

That said I just had my tennis app updated so for me BB10 is still alive and kicking.
    Allanon89 likes this.
    10-07-15 06:46 AM
    What I don't understand is why blackberry can't have the current os10 with android, you know so the phone operates just like current blackberry devices but but has the Google play services so all the android apps work as they should and call it android??

This new device os the priv looks like android with the some of the blackberry os10 features being used like an app, which means you don't get the fluid movement of the way you move around and go into and out of apps like in os10. Am I correct on this?

Posted via CB10
    Android as a base OS is open-source and that's why BB could integrate the runtime into BB10 without asking anyone. Google play services are NOT open source and must be licensed from Google, who so far have not licensed them to anyone not running full Android. That's why the OHA exists, to protect the interests of Google in the Android world. And of course, the crown jewel of the Google play services is the app store itself. I don't think Google would risk creating a precedent by licencing BB the Google play services for a non-android device.
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-07-15 07:50 AM
    Yup, as an enterprise customer, I see BlackBerry as throwing anything and everything against the wall in hopes that it will stick. They have no long term plans that they plan to stick to. They are early to market unfinished products and don't have any clue how to sell. They are engineers who can make great products and technologies, but don't know how to market or sell them. They don't see the long game which is why they fell behind as they can't see the road ahead. I bet that the Priv and what comes next will not sell well and will be dropped in 18 to 24 months like the PlayBook and BB10. Why would any company buy products from a company that keeps coming out with new products and then dropping them? Enterprise needs a company that has products and strategies that have a long term plan. BlackBerry is grasping at straws buy changing strategies and buying companies and dropping existing products.
    AllanQuatermain and BuryLancs like this.
    10-07-15 08:16 AM
    My cost-effective proposed solution for the next few years will be 1) Used BB10 phone for essential communications; and 2) inexpensive used 7" tablet of choice for Android or iOS apps.

Total cost: $100 for phone and $150 for tablet

Extra $10 a month for wireless data on tablet IF WiFi is not sufficient.

Keeping a small tablet in my bag is not at all inconvenient, and I can now conduct Web meetings and use a browser simultaneously which is very useful and otherwise difficult or impossible with a single device.

Posted via CB10
    Xaiux and Q10Bold like this.
    10-07-15 08:17 AM
    I would argue they do have a long term strategy now, it's just not in mobile hardware. They have positioned themselves to be able to manage other platforms and provide enterprise and security solutions. If switching to Android keeps their hardware involved in this new direction, then great. Otherwise, I would imagine they will become exclusively a software company.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 08:54 AM
    You are right in saying that they are making a mistake giving up on the OS but given the moves they made over the past year and a half I think it is too late to do anything different. Chen has painted the company into a corner.
    10-07-15 08:56 AM
    Bb simply lost its advantage due to high data packages being cheap so the data compression wasn't a key feature. If bb was smart enough to crack long distance calling being free between bb users internationally they would have killed it still, instead, bbm advancements were stagnant, bb10 launched unfinished, killed the play book n oissed many when bb10 wasn't compatible, bb couldn't get the top 100 apps to go native which still blow mind my mind they couldn't get them to.. Even pay them toll.but worst of all, launched a very **** poor all touch z10 and then a brick of a z30.. Q was poorly thought as it should have been the classic and then a too wide passport.

It's not just the apps, it's every time they do something it's a misstep n obvious to everyone but bb management. They haven't made a single wise decision in years... A slider only android is the same stupid move that is consistent with bb making every bad decision with each new launch,
    Q10Bold likes this.
    10-07-15 09:06 AM
105 123 ...