Just my opinion but the title 'BlackBerry made a mistake' could probably be changed to 'BlackBerry has made a long series of mistakes'.

In my view, this is the same company used to be the top phone maker, became complacent, stopped innovating, and stopped listening to users. Now they are at the point of bankruptcy. And as we can tell they still aren't sure what consumers want - that's why they are still changing OSs this late in the game. Meanwhile they are running a 'we only care about enterprise' banner while focusing on selling giant happy faces in their business messaging software. BBRY reminds me of a person who's extremely sick, confused, unable to focus, reacting irrationally without thought of their own well being.

As for specs and pricing, they appear to have wanted to rush the availability for the holidays. In February I've heard that the priv will be on sale anyway, so they didn't miss much there.

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    Last edited by KermEd; 12-27-15 at 12:42 PM.
    12-27-15 12:30 PM
    Just my opinion but the title 'BlackBerry made a mistake' could probably be changed to 'BlackBerry has made a long series of mistakes'.

In my view, this is the same company used to be the top phone maker, became complacent, stopped innovating, and stopped listening to users. Now they are at the point of bankruptcy. And as we can tell they still aren't sure what consumers want - that's why they are still changing OSs this late in the game. Meanwhile they are running a 'we only care about enterprise' banner while focusing on selling giant happy faces in their business messaging software. BBRY reminds me of a person who's extremely sick, confused, unable to focus, reacting irrationally without thought of their own well being.

As for specs and pricing, they appear to have wanted to rush the availability for the holidays. In February I've heard that the priv will be on sale anyway, so they didn't miss much there.

I feel the same way. Great post.
    KermEd likes this.
    12-27-15 02:31 PM
    I don't know why so many here don't understand that BlackBerry is not going for volume they are going for high ASP. From what I hear in the industry BB is achieving that goal. The only people who don't seem to believe this are the BB10 fanboys who want the Priv to be a failure.

BB would rather sell 500K - 800k Android phones with an ASP over $500-600 vs millions of BB10 for under $240 ASP. If they can't get their ASP up they will be out of the hardware business. The Priv is manufactured in limited numbers, BB is not going to bet the farm on any phone. They can't afford to be stuck with another big write off and no manufacturers are going to take any finacial risk building phones for BlackBerry. BB has to assume all the risk. I bet the BB Board monitors the financial risk in the hardware business very closely.

Every company is chasing hirgher ASP in their phone sales. Volume means nothing with really low ASP. LG' main purpose for releasing a V10 flagship is to have a premium phone with a high ASP. The V10 is not a G4 replacement, it is a premium phone above the G4. Samsung does the same thing with the Note series and the new edge plus. People who buy phones with higher ASP spend a lot more on Apps, music, videos and accessories.
    That is a very good point. BB10 will never give them enough volume to have an ecosystem to allow them to focus on high profit handsets but with Android it is already there.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-15 08:27 PM

When I was reading your second paragraph, I was thinking to myself that this describes me more than blackberry. (except the happy face sticker and bankruptcy parts).

But, great post regardless although I would replace 'a long series of mistakes' with 'nothing but mistakes in perpetuity'.

In spite of all the missteps, I must say their products are great for what they do, popularity be darned.

Q5 clicked.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-15 09:29 AM
    In spite of all the missteps, I must say their products are great for what they do, popularity be darned.

Q5 clicked.

Posted via CB10
    I totally agree, I've loved my phones too. My Passport is still my favorite

12-28-15 05:34 PM
    "A" mistake?

Posted via CB10
    A+

;-P

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    menshawy likes this.
    12-28-15 10:42 PM
    Wow people, give BlackBerry some time to repair a tarnished image. As we know this is their first android phone. Samsung had a crappy cell phone product for years until they adopted android. Even then, it wasn't really until the galaxy S2 that they solidified themselves as a major player. That took a few years. BlackBerry has had what? Two months in the android space?

Let them get their bug fixes out, and work on perfecting their version of android, and we can hopefully start to enjoy a turn around. For the most part, carriers have been mostly enthusiastic about the Priv, so device after device coming into sight, everyone will begin to cross shop BlackBerry again. But again, it'll take time.

Posted via CB10
    Samsung solidified themselves as a major player in around 2008 with the Omnia i900 (WM6.1 PPC) and OmniaHD i8910 (Symbian S60v5), the Galaxy line hit the ground running. You must remember, Samsung did what Huawei is doing now, slowly eating away at the bigger guys share, their growth by 2010 was crazy, toppling Nokia who at their peak. Between 2005-2010 Samsung was bulldozing each major player.

I've been watching Samsung for a long time and began keeping an eye on Huawei 3years ago, the similarities in their business is uncanny, I give Huawei 2-3years to topple Samsung.

BlackBerry have a difficult road ahead, as the Chinese OEMs like Huawei, ZTE, Xiaomi and Meizu all are getting very aggressive, with marketing, specs and pricing, HTC and Sony are already drowning under them, and Samsung plus LG are taking major hits from Huawei and ZTE, when these two crack the US Market, it will be hard for guys like BlackBerry, at least on the consumer side.

The Chinese OEMs this year came in guns blazing, many used top hardware and build materials, the next 2years we will see them better refine their software and customer service.

Its going to be a blood bath for many non-Chinese OEMs.
    12-30-15 07:02 PM
    Then Chinese will own us if not already done
    12-30-15 11:38 PM
    I think the hardware is adequate. Yeah price point is a bit high.

To me the largest issue was the AT&T exclusive. It puts the wider release with Verizon and t-mobile into the news cycle with all the new Android handsets announced at CES, etc.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Lucky for me that my wife has at&t and I can always buy the phone and have them unlock it.. loved T-mobile until they de-prioritized me ( throttled) at a mere 23GB.. that's one thing I loved about Verizon.. no slowing of Internet speeds..

 Posted via my BlackBerry Passport!
    01-03-16 05:39 PM
59 123