I'm not sure if this belongs here and if it doesn't, my apologies.

So, the other day I got a b/c on BBM saying how BlackBerry phones log everything you do and that makes it slow. It went on to give instructions on how to delete these logs. I'll let you read the message for yourselves: "Ever wondered why your BB is moving slow=-? :/ well..

Every action on your BB is logged, which in time will slow your bb down...

At least once a week, hold ALT key and press LGLG (the letters) while on your home screen. You will see the logs. Then click the Blackberry menu button and select "clear log" this keeps phone moving 100% faster ! NOW THIS IS A WORTHY BLACKBERRY BROADCAST.
    Pass it on, It definitely works."

My questions are, is this true? If so then would this work? I thought about doing it but since I'm iffy about it I decided against cause I don't want to brick my phone. Has anyone here done this before?
    08-19-11 02:17 PM
    I do it all the time and it seems to help somewhat. I also make sure to delete all old messages, phone call logs, and browser cache. It helps keep things running smooth

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-11 10:55 PM
    Cool, I just tried it. Thanks for answering
    08-21-11 01:43 PM
    I found it helped greatly on my Tour 9630 the first time I did it. I had been using the phone for about 1.5 years at that point, so there was a lot of log data. When I repeated the process (usually weekly) then of course I did not notice any difference.

I know with PCs huge log files that need continuous access can cause serious issues. I once had a server that was having all kinds of issues until I found out there was a 4GB (syslog) log file that needed trimming. The whole OS was crawling, processes hanging, etc.

So it stands to reason the same things can affect a phone.

You are not going to hurt your phone by clearing the log data.
    08-21-11 01:52 PM
    So, would you recommend I delete the logs weekly?
    08-26-11 06:22 AM
    The logs have some finite size limit after which older entries are dumped as new ones arrive. I've experimented with dumping the log frequently to "never" (over a period of of months) and have never been able to tell any difference on my 9650 Bold.

But the logs do take up memory, and in the older devices with less memory (like my previous 8330 Curve), clearing the log was an effective way of recovering available memory. I have my doubts that it makes a difference in today's high-memory devices on OS5 and OS6.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-26-11 09:08 AM
    Hmm... Interesting, I didn't really notice an increase in speed but I'll keep doing it just in case
    08-26-11 11:48 PM
    The logs have some finite size limit after which older entries are dumped as new ones arrive. I've experimented with dumping the log frequently to "never" (over a period of of months) and have never been able to tell any difference on my 9650 Bold.

This is correct. Since it is a fixed size clearing it offers no performance or memory benefit.
    08-27-11 09:25 AM
    On newer devices you don't have to. I've never cleared mine on my 9330 and it works just fine. (then again I reboot every night)
    08-27-11 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD