FYI, Samsung Electronic spends 12B in marketing in 2013 which is the total assets of BlackBerry. Samsung, Google and Apple are 220B companies with diversified businesses while BlackBerry is only in mobile phone business.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 02:06 PM
    BlackBerry just can't compete with Samsung marketing-img_20131285.jpg
    BlackBerry just can't compete with Samsung marketing-img_20131286.jpg

Q10 Spotted on CNN Gupta piece

Posted via Z10 featuring Channel C0031BD24 (UTB Subscribed)
    12-14-13 04:03 PM
    doesn't cover my needs.... but my Z does
    The note 3 covers mine now since I had to give up my q10 due to email forwarding problems. ....strangely,I got my emails now.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    12-14-13 07:18 PM
    The note 3 covers mine now since I had to give up my q10 due to email forwarding problems. ....strangely,I got my emails now.

Well I'll give you one thing, you're consistent: every single post of yours here seems to be promoting Android.
    12-15-13 01:05 AM
    Of course BlackBerry wouldn't be able to compete with Samsung.
    Samsung spent at least the same amount of money that BlackBerry have in cash (total cash) for promotions yearly.

To compete with Samsung's money is just ridiculous. And their range of devices justify their spending because it covers all range of price needed to cover all the people needs.
    Samsung could buy BlackBerry with its couch change and have enough left over for Apple as well.
    12-15-13 01:20 AM
    Let's not forget all the other markets that Samsung offers products in. The cash flow is not mobile dependent like BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 01:23 AM
    Not just smartphones, I repair vacuum cleaners for a living, and much to my surprise, I took apart a new model Eureka brand central vac with electronic controls for the motor. Inside I find a massive chip stamped SAMSUNG.

Holy crap, a friggin vacuum cleaner? Samsung has the market locked.
    From cfp.exe:

"...Flash:
    Number of chips: 1
    Flash ID: NAND blocks 0-238591
    Device ID: 0x10
    Vendor ID: 0x15
    Manufacturer Name: Samsung
    OEM/Application ID: 0x100
    Product Name: MAG2GA
    Product Revision: 0x6
    Manufacturing Date: Year 2013, Month 7
    MMC Partition Info:
    Boot0: 4096 KB (enhanced)
    Boot1: 4096 KB (enhanced)
    User: 15267840 KB
    Total Size: 14912 MB

DRAM:
    Size: 2048 MB
    VendorID: 0x1
    Vendor Name: Samsung
    Revision: 0x200..."
    12-15-13 01:25 AM
    BlackBerry, with its current budget won't be able to beat any big time companies on the advertising front.

But where I live they are already using guerrila advertising tactics.
    12-15-13 01:32 AM
    $14 billion marketing for 2014. Anyone care to mention how much they spend on R&D which widens the gap even more from its competitors
    12-15-13 01:41 AM
    When you have the coffers of Samsung, you can probably turn water into wine...

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 07:52 AM
    BlackBerry doesn't need to be able to compete with Samsung in that area right now. Samsung sells more than phones and can't be compared. BlackBerry need to focus of kindling fires of interest and excitement, and not on pouring resources into wasteful or inefficient areas. I would focus a lot of energy on London if I were them, and on some other important markets, and leave other areas alone to save money - for now.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 07:58 AM
    Not just smartphones, I repair vacuum cleaners for a living, and much to my surprise, I took apart a new model Eureka brand central vac with electronic controls for the motor. Inside I find a massive chip stamped SAMSUNG.

Holy crap, a friggin vacuum cleaner? Samsung has the market locked.
    Samsung Biologics. That floored me. They are now moving into pharma big time. And very quickly. When they decide to do something, they do it.

I was told the only areas they don't have fingers in is heavy machinery and cars. But Hyundai has that covered hmm, I wonder about big shipping.

In Korea you are born in a hospital built by one of the chaebol, use their products, live in the apartments built by them, kick the bucket back in the hospital. Cradle to grave. Samsung is huge in a way North Americans can't conceive.

ETA: Samsung Electronics division's total spending on marketing is just obscene though. They outspend Coke! Check out the last graph: The cost of selling Galaxies | I guess it was the cost of squashing Android rivals. Worked but my word, 'twas pricey.
    12-15-13 07:59 AM
    I got suckered by DamnDung marketing, and that will not be happening again. If BlackBerry continues to produce superior (for the needs of power users, anyway) products, it will be fine.

I wonder if all that marketing is even worth it. $10 billion is a lot of cash. They'd have to sell 100 million devices with a generous profit of $100 per unit just to pay the marketing bill.

(edit to add...)

Samsung also has no ecosystem. Once the device is sold, there's not a dollar more for them -- it all goes to Google. At least BlackBerry makes some residual income off apps, games, and content in BlackBerry World. Honestly, Samsung does not seem to be an intelligent company, just big.
    Last edited by BobWalker; 12-15-13 at 09:07 AM. Reason: add thoughts
    12-15-13 08:15 AM
    I'm not saying throwing a ton of money to advertise your product won't be effective but Samsung has that ability while BlackBerry does not. That does not mean BlackBerry cannot have an effective marketing campaign to combat the giant known as Samsung or Apple for that matter. What it takes is a crafty approach to be 'smarter' than your competition.

There is a local radio station where I live that, at the time was a very small player in the radio game & to compete against the giant who had a huge campaign to give a car away, they set up shop across the street from where the giant & its contestants were. The giant had a massive buzz about this contest & the small station were broadcasting for people who didn't win the car to cross the street for some free t-shirts or some other stuff they had. It turned into a huge hit for them & their ratings went through the roof & they ended up beating the giant on that day.

My point is, there isn't room for a defeatist attitude simply because BlackBerry is so much smaller a company than their competitors. They need to be craftier, smarter & outwit them because they simply cannot compete through advertising dollars. It can be done but who knows what the new game plan is for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 10:37 AM
    Word is starting to spread that a good chunk of Samsung's "advertising" budget is used for negative astroturfing. They've already been caught paying college students to do it in Taiwan, and presumably they're doing it elsewhere.

It wouldn't be far fetched to believe Apple does this as well.

Visit Geek Lite
    12-15-13 11:01 AM
    Word is starting to spread that a good chunk of Samsung's "advertising" budget is used for negative astroturfing. They've already been caught paying college students to do it in Taiwan, and presumably they're doing it elsewhere.
    This is confirmed behaviour.

How did you manage to jump to this? Would it not then be equally logical to believe that MS/Nokia is doing it to kill BBRY and BBRY is doing it to scratch out a position?

FWIW, I really doubt any of the three above or HTC or most of the others do it. Samsung, though, has a history of questionable behaviour from throughout the conglomerate.
    12-15-13 11:40 AM
    I got suckered by DamnDung marketing, and that will not be happening again. If BlackBerry continues to produce superior (for the needs of power users, anyway) products, it will be fine.

I wonder if all that marketing is even worth it. $10 billion is a lot of cash. They'd have to sell 100 million devices with a generous profit of $100 per unit just to pay the marketing bill.

(edit to add...)

Samsung also has no ecosystem. Once the device is sold, there's not a dollar more for them -- it all goes to Google. At least BlackBerry makes some residual income off apps, games, and content in BlackBerry World. Honestly, Samsung does not seem to be an intelligent company, just big.
    This is because Samsung is a Hardware company first, software second (for now). Sales of their smartphones helps drive sales of their appliances, TVs, laptops and other gadgets and all these products are getting more and more connected and controlled with their smartphones. That's the ecosystem they are trying to build and the bigger this gets, the more components and parts they manufacture will sell as well. Appliance manufacturers such as Whirlpool are aware of this as LG and Samsung are aggressively moving into their once dominant turf due in part to popularity of their phones.
    garnok likes this.
    12-15-13 12:12 PM
    Samsung Biologics. That floored me. They are now moving into pharma big time. And very quickly. When they decide to do something, they do it.

I was told the only areas they don't have fingers in is heavy machinery and cars. But Hyundai has that covered hmm, I wonder about big shipping.

In Korea you are born in a hospital built by one of the chaebol, use their products, live in the apartments built by them, kick the bucket back in the hospital. Cradle to grave. Samsung is huge in a way North Americans can't conceive.

ETA: Samsung Electronics division's total spending on marketing is just obscene though. They outspend Coke! Check out the last graph: The cost of selling Galaxies | I guess it was the cost of squashing Android rivals. Worked but my word, 'twas pricey.
    Samsung is in the automobile industry as well.

Renault.com - Renault Samsung Motors

And heavy machinery

Introduction - Samsung : Volvo Construction Equipment
    Welcome To Samsung Heavy industries.

Samsung is a Giant.
    TGR1 likes this.
    12-15-13 03:59 PM
    Samsung is in the automobile industry as well.

Renault.com - Renault Samsung Motors

And heavy machinery

Introduction - Samsung : Volvo Construction Equipment
    Welcome To Samsung Heavy industries.

Samsung is a Giant.
    Just the tip of the iceberg.

World's 2nd largest ship builder.
    2 engineering/constructiong subsidiaries (One of them built the Petronas Towers, Taipei 101, and the Burj Khalifa)
    Nuclear power plants
    Theme park operator
    Defense and aerospace
    Textiles
    Insurance (the Life Insurance division actually controls the Electronics division)
    Credit cards (Korea's biggest credit card company)
    Medical centers
    Hotels and resorts
    Advertising
    Many others.

Samsung is also involved in dozens of joint ventures that run the gamut from hard disk drives to satellites. The current chairman of Samsung Electronics, Lee Kun-Hee did a remarkable job once he took over back in '87. When he was first named named the successor to founder Lee Byung-Chul, a lot of people had doubts about his business acumen, he was a renowned party guy. He proved them all wrong and turned Samsung from a budget electronics company picking up Sony's breadcrumbs to one of the largest and most diverse conglomerates in the world.

The irony of Samsung outspending BlackBerry on advertising of course is that about 5 years ago, BlackBerry (the smartphone maker formerly known as RIM) had a larger market cap than Samsung Electronics. That's gotta hurt somebody.
    12-15-13 04:28 PM
    Just the tip of the iceberg.

World's 2nd largest ship builder.
    2 engineering/constructiong subsidiaries (One of them built the Petronas Towers, Taipei 101, and the Burj Khalifa)
    Nuclear power plants
    Theme park operator
    Defense and aerospace
    Textiles
    Insurance (the Life Insurance division actually controls the Electronics division)
    Credit cards (Korea's biggest credit card company)
    Medical centers
    Hotels and resorts
    Advertising
    Many others.

Samsung is also involved in dozens of joint ventures that run the gamut from hard disk drives to satellites. The current chairman of Samsung Electronics, Lee Kun-Hee did a remarkable job once he took over back in '87. When he was first named named the successor to founder Lee Byung-Chul, a lot of people had doubts about his business acumen, he was a renowned party guy. He proved them all wrong and turned Samsung from a budget electronics company picking up Sony's breadcrumbs to one of the largest and most diverse conglomerates in the world.

The irony of Samsung outspending BlackBerry on advertising of course is that about 5 years ago, BlackBerry (the smartphone maker formerly known as RIM) had a larger market cap than Samsung Electronics. That's gotta hurt somebody.
    Yep. Samsung has a piece of every pie.
    12-15-13 04:31 PM

Visit Geek Lite
    A "good chunk?" Seriously? How much of that $14 BILLION dollars do you think is spent on "astroturfing?" Probably a few million at most, which doesn't really put it in "good chunk" territory. More like "tiny drop in the bucket" territory.
    12-15-13 04:31 PM

Visit Geek Lite
    A good chunk ? ie $380,000 against $14,000.000,000? lol. Good try.
    12-15-13 10:26 PM
    IMO BlackBerry doesn't have to compete when it comes to marketing. They just need to let the public know they are still in business by doing at least SOME marketing.

For example, in the USA almost nobody knows that the Z30 even exists. Some people even think that BlackBerry no longer exists.

The impression I get from BlackBerry is they are waiting for death rather than a company who is fighting to stay alive. They don't have the same budget as Samsung for marketing, but they should at least let the public know about the Z30 or any new phone. It's hard to sell a phone when almost nobody knows about it.
    12-15-13 11:29 PM
48 12