Hi,

After using a BlackBerry for over 2 years I finally moved to an iPhone about 3 months ago. I got increasingly frustrated with RIM as I'd been wanting to upgrade my Bold 9700 since last December and there was absolutely nothing worth upgrading to. Hopefully that will all change when (eventually) the BB7 devices get released. I check out crackberry every day to keep up with the news and rumours.

I enjoy using my iPhone and it is pretty much superior in every way to the current BB lineup, however I do miss my BB, the notifications, LED and particularly the physical keyboard.

I'd really like to return to BB in the near future, but I will not do so until BBs are able to hand IMAP accounts in the same way as the iPhone and Android etc. What I mean is the ability to file email into folders and to search the folders for content etc. I find it quite amazing that the pioneers of mobile email are so far behind in it's current implementation. I am aware that it is possible to do this via BES, but I along with the vast majority of the current smart phone buying population are not interested in this option.

So I guess I'm asking whether or not it is likely that we'll see proper IMAP integration via BIS for web-based email e.g. Hotmail, GMail etc on BB devices in the near future?

It may seem like a fairly minor point but having the ability to file messages on the fly - is huge - rather than having spend hours on a PC going through your Inbox and deleting and filing.

Cheers in advance for any input.
    07-29-11 01:05 AM
    Check out Logicmail, an imap client for blackberry, its creator right here on crackberry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-11 01:28 AM
    Hi, thanks for the recommendation. I will certainly check it out. Do you reckon there will ever be a native in-built OS ability to do as described?
    07-29-11 02:22 AM
    Sorry, I have no idea and it's not something that I use. I use Logicmail for backup and to access older emails.

07-29-11 05:02 AM
    I created LogicMail due to all of these "2nd class IMAP support" frustrations when I got my first BlackBerry (a 7105t). At the time, neither iPhone or Android existed yet, and getting involved in mobile development was tempting, so I forged ahead with the project.

Its now a couple years later, and the project has grown far beyond my initial expectations. Its gained quite a user base, and even caused me to go the extra mile and attend several BlackBerry Developer Conferences (even giving presentations on BlackBerry development at several of them). If it wasn't for this level of community involvement directly as a result of LogicMail, there's a pretty good chance I'd be an iPhone or Android user by now. (I've even said before, that if I were to start all over, I'd probably go Android.) The anti-BlackBerry peer pressure, from pretty much any direction, is extremely irritating and shows no sign of ever going away.

P.S. Yes, I'm planning to get a Bold 9900 the moment I can, so I'm not going anywhere any time soon.
    quellerie likes this.
    07-29-11 05:31 AM
    Thanks for your your input. i look forward to trying LogicMail for myself.

I really want to support RIM and BB as much as I can, but I'm sure like a lot of people at the moment, I'm finding it hard as they seem to have really lagged so far behind the competition. To me it's really frustrating.

I will really have a good look at the new Bold 9900 when it's released as it looks pretty good and I hope it's good enough to tempt me away from the iPhone!
    07-29-11 06:46 AM
    Logicmail is a great app. However, it's existence is indicative of RIM's failures as a smartphone vendor.
    07-29-11 07:23 PM
    In your Messages folder, click search. In the type field at the top, click remote. Select the parameters you want for whatever you're searching for, click menu -> save or hit the back button and save. Search results will display at the top in Messages. Built-in, no 3rd party app.

07-29-11 08:07 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I really want the ability to file my emails from my Hotmail & work accounts into folders on my BB - just like I can on my PC using web browser,or Outlook and just like iPhone has the ability to do.
    07-30-11 10:43 PM
    The Yahoo app also allows access to IMAP folders. Personally, I'm glad that BlackBerry doesn't add hotmail and gmail and whatever other email on my phone!

07-30-11 10:51 PM
    Logicmail is a great app. However, it's existence is indicative of RIM's failures as a smartphone vendor.
    Ha ha ha. So now the existence of a task-specific app is indicative of a short-coming of the device. By that logic the iPad is trash and the Playbook is a tablet god.
    07-30-11 11:47 PM
    I agree with ADGrant - it shouldn't be necessary to need an app to do something so basic on a mobile email device.
    07-31-11 06:20 AM
    I agree with ADGrant - it shouldn't be necessary to need an app to do something so basic on a mobile email device.
    Iphone does give you that capability (and so does Logicmail as explained) but it also takes away other capabilities that a Blackberry has, here's some examples: no true push email, no ability to attach files/photos etc to reply emails, no ability to delete an email from the phone or phone and server, no ability to set filters for emails you don't want to receive on your phone, no ability to select a separate notification for every account and may more

So yes, it does give you that particular thing you want but it takes away many other features that you take for granted with a BB.

07-31-11 06:36 AM
    You're absolutely right about those features and they are some of the biggest things I miss about the BB. However, I'm sure many of those features will appear in iOS5 and I hope RIM will catch up too and offer a similar IMAP experience on the BB whilst maintaining its strong features.
    07-31-11 06:50 AM
    You're absolutely right about those features and they are some of the biggest things I miss about the BB. However, I'm sure many of those features will appear in iOS5 and I hope RIM will catch up too and offer a similar IMAP experience on the BB whilst maintaining its strong features.
    Some feature's they'll never be able to catch up to as apple doesn't have a similar set up to the NOC servers. That's where true push comes from and where filters are set up etc.

07-31-11 07:14 AM
    Obviously, you are in the minority because most BB users want push email, custom notifications and the other features that Belfast listed over having a pre installed or rather, several pre installed email clients on every new BB phone. Adding Gmail or Hotmail is personalizing YOUR phone with the email you have selected, but it shouldn't be automatically put on EVERYONE else's phone because that's what you use.

Oh by the way...THERE'S AN APP FOR THAT. Use it or go use your iPhone.
    07-31-11 07:38 AM
    Obviously, you are in the minority because most BB users want push email, custom notifications and the other features that Belfast listed over having a pre installed or rather, several pre installed email clients on every new BB phone. Adding Gmail or Hotmail is personalizing YOUR phone with the email you have selected, but it shouldn't be automatically put on EVERYONE else's phone because that's what you use.

Oh by the way...THERE'S AN APP FOR THAT. Use it or go use your iPhone.
    The iPhone supports push email and imap folders. Attachment handling could be better (you do need a third party app).

IMAP and EAS support are standard features for most smartphone email now. Only RIM lacks the support for these.

07-31-11 10:41 AM
    The iPhone supports push email and imap folders. Attachment handling could be better (you do need a third party app).

IMAP and EAS support are standard features for most smartphone email now. Only RIM lacks the support for these.

Yahoo gives push email and IMAP folders on my Blackberry, it seems that others are recommending LogicMail for the same thing on Blackberry. If these DID NOT give push email and IMAP folders on Blackberry, then you could claim that RIM devices do not have the capability, but they DO.
    07-31-11 11:17 AM
    In your Messages folder, click search. In the type field at the top, click remote. Select the parameters you want for whatever you're searching for, click menu -> save or hit the back button and save. Search results will display at the top in Messages. Built-in, no 3rd party app.

Yes. And also there is the option to mark messages as "Saved". Then "View Saved Messages" to see. This copies them to the device I believe. But I am not sure if you can create folders within the "saved" area.

What I tend to do is set up a remote search of my gmail account, blank parameters but setting the filter to "received" only. Then I save it as "All received Gmail". Map it to a key (Alt + key). Then run it and it retrieves essentially the remote inbox with messages under date-grouped headers. Pretty awesome. Delete results when done. Run any time.
    Last edited by southlander; 07-31-11 at 11:31 AM.
    07-31-11 11:25 AM
    I created LogicMail due to all of these "2nd class IMAP support" frustrations when I got my first BlackBerry (a 7105t). At the time, neither iPhone or Android existed yet, and getting involved in mobile development was tempting, so I forged ahead with the project.

Its now a couple years later, and the project has grown far beyond my initial expectations. Its gained quite a user base, and even caused me to go the extra mile and attend several BlackBerry Developer Conferences (even giving presentations on BlackBerry development at several of them). If it wasn't for this level of community involvement directly as a result of LogicMail, there's a pretty good chance I'd be an iPhone or Android user by now. (I've even said before, that if I were to start all over, I'd probably go Android.) The anti-BlackBerry peer pressure, from pretty much any direction, is extremely irritating and shows no sign of ever going away.

P.S. Yes, I'm planning to get a Bold 9900 the moment I can, so I'm not going anywhere any time soon.
    Wow, I have been complaining about the lack of IMAP for the past two years, and most of the responses I got back then were funny, �oh, who needs IMAP, just get BES, just keep your iPhone.�

Finally someone see�s the importance of having this feature that saves you so much time when your out of the office. I never knew this app existed, I am planning a get back together event with blackberry and I when the 9900 comes out and keeping my iPhone 4 just in case. I would love to try this app out on the new bb, although I still believe that this feature should be native to the OS.
    07-31-11 11:37 AM
    Wow, I have been complaining about the lack of IMAP for the past two years, and most of the responses I got back then were funny, �oh, who needs IMAP, just get BES, just keep your iPhone.�

Finally someone see�s the importance of having this feature that saves you so much time when your out of the office. I never knew this app existed, I am planning a get back together event with blackberry and I when the 9900 comes out and keeping my iPhone 4 just in case. I would love to try this app out on the new bb, although I still believe that this feature should be native to the OS.
    Yahoo also works!
    07-31-11 12:01 PM
    One thing is for sure, no phone will ever give you everything. While some want imap folders, I prefer the push email for any 10 email accounts no metter how obscure the email provider might be, the ability to delete emails localy, attachements to reply emails and to stop emails being delivered to my blackberry from any email address I want, plus others but these are the main ones.

07-31-11 12:13 PM
    One thing is for sure, no phone will ever give you everything. While some want imap folders, I prefer the push email for any 10 email accounts no metter how obscure the email provider might be, the ability to delete emails localy, attachements to reply emails and to stop emails being delivered to my blackberry from any email address I want, plus others but these are the main ones.

So true. NO PHONE can do everything. I'm totally satisfied with my Blackberry the way it is.
    07-31-11 12:26 PM
    So true. NO PHONE can do everything. I'm totally satisfied with my Blackberry the way it is.
    Damn good signiture!!!!!
    07-31-11 02:00 PM
    Damn good signiture!!!!!
    Thank you.

07-31-11 03:20 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD