Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. AWB70's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    598 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default BlackBerry Id association

    Been having a bit of a blackberry Christmas. I now find myself with 4 phones and a PlayBook so I guess this is the best place to be curious as to what Associating BBM with your BlackBerry ID actually does? During setting up I think I may have put my wifes blackberry Id on my daughters bbm. Problem now is her bbm worked but on my wife's it gets stuck at associating id. Searching for answers I see there are other issues where people get stuck at this point which can be got round by un installing bbm 7 and going back to 6. That being the case is there a way to check and if needs be disasociating my wifes id from my daughters bbm account?
  2. Villain's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    199 Posts
    Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    can only use one BB ID for one cell device.
  3. AWB70's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    598 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    Yeah villain, I knew this from previous problems with my phone but I'm not sure how having your BlackBerry ID attached to a bbm account would affect things.
  4. bb624's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    719 Posts
    PIN
    330e6cee
    #4  

    Default

    Always had 2 phones with one I'd...never had a problem until bbm7....now all BBM Messages go to one phone....guess I will try going back to bbm6.
  5. Xopher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,053 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)
    #5  

    Default Re: BlackBerry Id association

    Starting with BBM 7, having your BBID linked to your BBM account will backup and restore your contacts. So, if you switch devices, it will automatically restore your BBM contacts and groups, and remove them from the old device.

    The issue I see is how it will affect your wife and daughter's contacts. They may get mixed up if you've linked them to the wrong person.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
  6. AWB70's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    598 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

    Default

    This seems to be a major problem, surely there must be a way to remove your id from a bbm account. I also have multiple bb's, one for work and one for play. Up until bbm 7 I just used two bbm accounts with no problems but in this case it's two peoples accounts. I can't find what benefits there are to matching a blackberry id to abbm. I've looked in bb Id online and there are no options to dissociate bbm accounts. This will be a problem when selling old phones I guess.
  7. AWB70's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    598 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

    Default

    Thanks that has made things clearer. Ironically back in the day I wanted to be able to use the same bbm id on two phones which looks like this would solve and probably the reason rim have implemented it. In this case though how would you remove an id from bbm? Otherwise I guess as you say messages will end up going to the wrong account.
  8. Xopher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,053 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)
    #8  

    Default Re: BlackBerry Id association

    Quote Originally Posted by AWB70 View Post
    This seems to be a major problem, surely there must be a way to remove your id from a bbm account. I also have multiple bb's, one for work and one for play. Up until bbm 7 I just used two bbm accounts with no problems but in this case it's two peoples accounts. I can't find what benefits there are to matching a blackberry id to abbm. I've looked in bb Id online and there are no options to dissociate bbm accounts. This will be a problem when selling old phones I guess.
    It should actually help. If you buy a new BlackBerry, once you associate your BBID with the new phone, it removes the link to the old one.

    Also, if you wipe your phone, it won't automatically set everything back up based on the PIN. Instead, you log on with your BBID and it restores everything. If you wipe the phone and sell it, they would log in with their BBID and it would associate the PIN with the new account.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
  9. AWB70's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    598 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

    Default

    It should actually help. If you buy a new BlackBerry, once you associate your BBID with the new phone, it removes the link to the old one.
    Are we talking about linking the pin to the BBID account or the BBM account? If the new BBM 7 is allowing people to link BBM accounts on multiple phones there must be some way of un-linking an ID from a BBM account other wise will it not like mentioned back up BBM to the id regardless of which phone you're using? Looking at the phones last night I now see that my daughters is still on BBM6 and my wifes on BBM. Can't remember now after doing that much setting up whether BBM 6 actually links an ID. If it doesn't then surely it should just be a case of uninstalling BBM7 from my wifes. Updating my daughters to BBM7, linking my daughters ID with that BBM account then try and upgrade my wifes to seven again and linking the correct ID to her phone. That way linking my daughters id should in theory unlink the wifes. Does that sound right?

    Unless you're allowed to have one id linked to two BBM accounts in which case we're back to square one! My head hurts Only way to know would be two test and see if when I add a BBM Contact to my daughters that is not on my wifes if it shows up on her phone. Then I know the accounts are linked. At the moment none of them have a data plan with them being xmas gifts so I best get that sorted first. Otherwise only other option would be roll them both back to BBM6 and ignore the update until these things get ironed out. I have BBM 7on my 9800 and had no issues with it so far though.
  10. Matt Nijland's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    did downgrading to bbm 6 work for you?
  11. Matt Nijland's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bb624 View Post
    Always had 2 phones with one I'd...never had a problem until bbm7....now all BBM Messages go to one phone....guess I will try going back to bbm6.
    did downgrading fix your problem?
  12. AWB70's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    598 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

    Default

    I haven't tried yet mate. The phone in question is out and about at the minute so will probably do it tonight. I would imagine downgrading would help. As far as I'm aware you didn't associate your ID with BBM until version 7. I think the problem may lie where I upgraded my missus phone to 7 before I had set up BBM! Not sure though it's all a bit complicated. I will let you know how the downgrade went.
  13. Xopher's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,053 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)
    #13  

    Default Re: BlackBerry Id association

    Quote Originally Posted by AWB70 View Post
    Are we talking about linking the pin to the BBID account or the BBM account? If the new BBM 7 is allowing people to link BBM accounts on multiple phones there must be some way of un-linking an ID from a BBM account other wise will it not like mentioned back up BBM to the id regardless of which phone you're using? Looking at the phones last night I now see that my daughters is still on BBM6 and my wifes on BBM. Can't remember now after doing that much setting up whether BBM 6 actually links an ID. If it doesn't then surely it should just be a case of uninstalling BBM7 from my wifes. Updating my daughters to BBM7, linking my daughters ID with that BBM account then try and upgrade my wifes to seven again and linking the correct ID to her phone. That way linking my daughters id should in theory unlink the wifes. Does that sound right?

    Unless you're allowed to have one id linked to two BBM accounts in which case we're back to square one! My head hurts Only way to know would be two test and see if when I add a BBM Contact to my daughters that is not on my wifes if it shows up on her phone. Then I know the accounts are linked. At the moment none of them have a data plan with them being xmas gifts so I best get that sorted first. Otherwise only other option would be roll them both back to BBM6 and ignore the update until these things get ironed out. I have BBM 7on my 9800 and had no issues with it so far though.
    From what I've seen so far, you can only have one phone with BBM 7 on it. If you try to set up a second phone using the same BBID, it disconnects BBM on the first.

    This started happening with people trying to use the same BBID on the Dev Alpha. It would set up BBM on the Dev Alpha just fine, but groups and contacts would disappear from their BlackBerry. Right now, they are telling developers to set up a different BBID for the Dev Alpha so this doesn't happen.

    The real trick will be seeing how they handle BBM on the PlayBook. Will they allow multiple devices (different formats) use the same BBID?
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
  14. AWB70's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    598 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

    Default

    The real trick will be seeing how they handle BBM on the PlayBook. Will they allow multiple devices (different formats) use the same BBID?
    Maybe if the versions on the playbook are different from the one used on a phone you would have thought they would build something in to make that work. Who knows though!
    Thanks for the information regarding BBM. Tonight I ran both new 9320's through desktop manager and noticed there was an OS update. I updated both and when they booted back up both phones were back on bbm 6. Immediately one of the phones showed BBM7 update. I updated and get the stuck at associating ID to BBM again. Both phones have just upgraded to a BB Bolt on Data plan so I will have to wait for that to kick in before I can see if that is where the problem lies. If it still does it after that it's more searching possibly rolling back to BBM. I'm guessing though anyone with a data plan that's having this problem rolling back will definitely solve it but that's not really the best solution. Looking at other boards it's a common issue with no real fix at the moment.
    Strange only one of the phones showed the update.
  15. adams1345's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #15  

    Exclamation bbm 7

    hello, When i was updating bbm, it said that it backed up my contacts to my bbid, but then when restoring the contacts, it just kept loading for 2 hours and never restored my contacts. if it backed up my contacts to my bbid, they should be saved somewhere right? if so; does anyone know where they are saved and how i could access them if that is possible.
  16. AWB70's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    598 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

    Default

    I can't help you with that mate but this is my worry with linking BBM with your BBID! Surely there must be a web server somewhere which holds this information. Would be a lot easier all round if you could access your BBID account online and make any changes on there. Things like un-tieing phones from your account and accessing back ups.
  17. AWB70's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    598 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

    Default

    i am having the same issue but my gf was using my blackberry id on her phone, now everytime she tries to use bbm its asking her to place in a bb id and it will not accept her new own but it is always asking for mine and is transferring all my contacts to her phone
    I saw this in Blackberry Support Community so it appears that even with a new BBID on a phone the BBM contacts are still being sent to the phone it was first registered on. There must be a fix for disassociating information from your BBID!

    I'm starting to wonder if all these problems with BBM7 and BBID aren't in some way related? Perhaps once a phone is linked to a BBID it won't accept another on on that phone. Makes you wonder how many people who are having issues is down to having a second hand phone that's already registered.
  18. AWB70's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    598 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

    Default

    Seems everything works fine once the data plan has just kicked in. Only time will tell if it backs up each others contacts. Neither had any to start with.
  19. CaseyHodge11's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    My daughter got her blackberry for christmas and she went to update her bbm to the newest version bbm 7 and it says associating bbm with your blackberry ID. Its been on this since January and nothing has happened. However it won't let her delete this bbm to get the older version.. What do I do?
  20. veryyconfused's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #20  

    Default How do I downgrade to BBM 6?

    Hi, I'm having the same problem with BBM 7 and am trying to downgrade to BBM 6 but how do I do this? I have searched "Blackberry Messenger" as well as "Blackberry Messenger 6" in Blackberry App World and can only find the most recent version of BBM, not the old version which I need to install. How can I install an old version? I would very much appreciate some help!!
  21. raino's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,319 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,453 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by veryyconfused View Post
    Hi, I'm having the same problem with BBM 7 and am trying to downgrade to BBM 6 but how do I do this? I have searched "Blackberry Messenger" as well as "Blackberry Messenger 6" in Blackberry App World and can only find the most recent version of BBM, not the old version which I need to install. How can I install an old version? I would very much appreciate some help!!
    From your phone, go to rroyy.com/appsarchive . BBM 6 should be there.
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30

    Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)

Similar Threads

  1. Reset secret question for BlackBerry ID
    By Menelaus in forum BlackBerry Administrators
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-05-2014, 03:41 PM
  2. Unlock BlackBerry ID
    By Menelaus in forum BlackBerry Unlocking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2014, 10:59 AM
  3. How do i delete Blackberry id?
    By watts00 in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-02-2013, 01:59 PM
  4. Blackberry ID: what's going on?
    By Snock in forum BlackBerry Bold 9000
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-10-2010, 10:28 AM
  5. App world-BlackBerry ID
    By b-dubya in forum Native BlackBerry OS Apps
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-07-2010, 08:58 PM

Posting Permissions