Seems a favorite geek phone site is reporting that BB is winding down its phone division and looking toward software as its savior. This could be the end of BlackBerry devices
    09-23-16 11:33 AM
    Let's hope not. Need at least one more QWERTY phone.
    WT44 likes this.
    09-23-16 11:36 AM
    It's definitely winding down BB10, I expect Chen to announce in the ER that Passport is no longer being made just like last ER when he said Classic was no longer, but the source links don't say anything about BB Android so the overall title of this post is not correct.
    zephyr613, Bay 13 and WT44 like this.
    09-23-16 12:38 PM
    It's the same Motley Fool story from that other site.
    09-23-16 12:40 PM
    Do you guys think Blackberry should come out and make a statement if the rumor is false? I say that because someone sent me a link to a Pocketnow video this morning where they stated that Blackberry is done with phones. This guy was going to buy a Dtek50...but changed his mind because he believes that Blackberry is done. I need to read the original article, he said Chen was quoted saying to investors that he was shutting down hardware.
    melander likes this.
    09-23-16 01:47 PM
    BB is loosing money with the hardware division and will not survive if it continues.
    I had no idea when I got the Priv, but saw the article a while back in an investor site I visit from time to time. Investors hate loosing money.
    With Verizon not giving the Priv critical security updates and newer OS that are out, it isn't helping the cause any.
    You can listen to the shill on here, or read the writing on the wall, I am not trying to fool you in any way, you can read and make up your own mind.
    09-23-16 03:25 PM
    It's definitely winding down BB10, I expect Chen to announce in the ER that Passport is no longer being made just like last ER when he said Classic was no longer, but the source links don't say anything about BB Android so the overall title of this post is not correct.
    So if one says the hardware division is closing, you do know what "hardware division" implies right, and it does say handsets meaning all. So any BB made phones are subject to the closing, now the newer BB phones are made by another maker and uses BB software.
    09-23-16 03:29 PM
    Well...we will know on the 28th.

1. Chen stated in past that if they were not profitable by Sept 2016 he would shut it down.

2. Huge sale on BB products currently on Shopberry

3. Stated in late 2015 that he would update BB10 with two updates. Nothing so far and this year is almost over.

4. Reports from various sources stated that Chen told investors "We are done with hardware division."

We know they do not make hardware anymore but does it means phones in general regardless who makes them?

The good news is there is a sea of good quality phones coming....(Goggle Pixel, LG, etc...I hope I do not have to put the Priv down this soon.
    09-23-16 03:45 PM
    It's possible they do. It's possible they don't. People have been talking trash about BlackBerry for years now, and every new phone is "the company's last ditched effort to take on Android and iOS", literally every time those same words. So it's not surprising to see another newspaper jump onto the haters bandwagon and try to make them less reputable. Just go ahead and buy a device, you know you want one and it's not going to vanish into thin air even if they do discontinue the software. They have made all their devices very stable. And with exploding Note 7s and iPhones without headphone jacks, blackberries are probably the best devices you can buy at the anyway.

Vote for your most important features in the Rome: http://www.poll-maker.com/poll799422x8fEe47C8-32
    FF22, Avenzuno, TCB on Z10 and 1 others like this.
    09-23-16 03:54 PM
    Well...we will know on the 28th.

1. Chen stated in past that if they were not profitable by Sept 2016 he would shut it down.

2. Huge sale on BB products currently on Shopberry

3. Stated in late 2015 that he would update BB10 with two updates. Nothing so far and this year is almost over.

4. Reports from various sources stated that Chen told investors "We are done with hardware division."

We know they do not make hardware anymore but does it means phones in general regardless who makes them?

The good news is there is a sea of good quality phones coming....(Goggle Pixel, LG, etc...I hope I do not have to put the Priv down this soon.
    When did Chen tell investors that (point number 4)? Not really something be can just tell some investors without an official release to the public especially right before an earnings report.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-23-16 03:55 PM
    So if one says the hardware division is closing, you do know what "hardware division" implies right, and it does say handsets meaning all. So any BB made phones are subject to the closing, now the newer BB phones are made by another maker and uses BB software.
    And nowhere in the Fool.ca article does it give evidence that BB is not going to sell BB branded phones anymore. It gives evidence of slow sales and BB10 handsets no longer being made and carriers being notified of that, most everyone here agrees BB10 hardware is dead so nothing new. Wait 6 months when BB will let carriers know their intentions about existing and future Android devices.
    09-23-16 04:12 PM
    09-23-16 04:25 PM
    When did Chen tell investors that (point number 4)? Not really something be can just tell some investors without an official release to the public especially right before an earnings report.

My buddy stated it was written in one of the articles ( Motely Fool ?) I did not read so I am not sure if it is true if Chen said that to investors. I hope not. From what Blaze said it does not sound like Motely is credible.
    Last edited by Bay 13; 09-23-16 at 04:51 PM.
    09-23-16 04:34 PM
    My buddy stated it was written in one of the articles ( Motely Fool ?) I did not read so I am not sure if it is true if Chen said that to investors. I hope not. From what Blaze said it does not sound like Motely is credible.
    That would be grounds for insider trading of he told some investors without any public statement. Motley Fool is a very fitting name.

PantherBlitz likes this.
    09-23-16 05:29 PM
    True...
    09-23-16 06:28 PM
    True...
    False.

Vote for your most important features in the Rome: http://www.poll-maker.com/poll799422x8fEe47C8-32
    09-23-16 06:30 PM
    Eh, not many people care anymore. For most of us these are probably the last BlackBerry phones. With the software available on android now there really is no incentive to even own a blackberry anymore. Even the dtek is just another android clone. Heck even icrap will have blackberry software. Guess to be different will have to go with a Linux phone.

09-23-16 06:58 PM
    Basically Chen said he'd decide by September based on profitable hardware hence "possibly shutting down hardware ".
    In other words if profitable then yes, if not no. It's a possibility that's what the headline says truthfully.
    All depends on the definition.
    Dtek50/60 isn't BlackBerry hardware really, it's BlackBerry software on another hardware platform.
    This could mean the rumoured PKB Android phone and any (remotely) possible BB10 phone is a no-go.
    I'm saying the DTEK50/60 continue and along the path going forward.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-16 07:10 PM
    BB could outsource the manufacture of the rumoured Android PKB for Feb-ish 2017 (I call it the Priv 2, but that's me) to another manufacturer, as they have done with the DTEK. Though, I don't know of any manufacturers who are already manufacturing and selling a device that would be remotely similar to a Priv, or physical format like a Classic or slider. It'd be a gamble if there are none.
    09-23-16 07:13 PM
    This really belongs in a different forum. This is for posts about the PRIV.

09-23-16 07:34 PM
    BlackBerry has no hardware design left as of Spring. DTEK50 and everything that follows will be designed by partners.
    09-23-16 07:47 PM
    BB could outsource the manufacture of the rumoured Android PKB for Feb-ish 2017 (I call it the Priv 2, but that's me) to another manufacturer, as they have done with the DTEK. Though, I don't know of any manufacturers who are already manufacturing and selling a device that would be remotely similar to a Priv, or physical format like a Classic or slider. It'd be a gamble if there are none.
    Outsourcing manufacturing (which BlackBerry has done for a while now) is not the same as using an existing reference design such as the Idol 4. BlackBerry outsourced manufacturing for many of their devices including the Classic. Heck Apple outsources manufacturing.

09-23-16 07:54 PM
    Outsourcing manufacturing (which BlackBerry has done for a while now) is not the same as using an existing reference design such as the Idol 4. BlackBerry outsourced manufacturing for many of their devices including the Classic. Heck Apple outsources manufacturing.

Yea, poor choice of words on my part. Perhaps they can hire Boeing or herman miller to design it and have pegatron, foxtron, or hopefully not ikea build it is what I meant... sorry not trying to thread hijack, just not allowing myself to think negative thoughts about the release or non release of any upcoming devices with a pkb.
    09-23-16 07:59 PM
    Yea, poor choice of words on my part. Perhaps they can hire Boeing or herman miller to design it and have pegatron, foxtron, or hopefully not ikea build it is what I meant... sorry not trying to thread hijack, just not allowing myself to think negative thoughts about the release or non release of any upcoming devices with a pkb.
    Well i think they will be designing the PKB device that they already stated is coming early next year. There really isn't any reference designs out there.

09-23-16 08:09 PM
    Just saw an article on yahoo about this which was referring to motley fool...
    Well, ain't that stupid.
    So much speculation for nothing. In a week we will know more and like someone pointed out if Chen tells a group of investors he I exiting hardware then that could be ground for insider trading and I doubt Chen wants to be the next Martha Stewart.
    And why would he shut down hardware right before the release of dtek60 and right after that of dtek50 and after the return to the Korean market? So many things don't make sense

Posted via the handsome BlackBerry PRIV
    Bay 13 likes this.
    09-23-16 08:19 PM
122 123 ...