I'm wondering why there havent been any blackberry hacks. Such as hacked OS versions for overriding BIS's default browser, etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-08 06:36 PM
    Hacks? Such as unlocking all of the vendor themes, optimizing memory??

OperaMini can be used instead of the default browser...

Any clarification?
    07-20-08 06:38 PM
    I thought you couldn't make OM your default?
    07-20-08 06:42 PM
    Perhaps "hacks" is not the proper phrase..?

07-20-08 06:42 PM
    I thought you couldn't make OM your default?
    You can't. The native browser will always be default for dl, etc.

07-20-08 06:44 PM
    You can't. The native browser will always be default for dl, etc.

Thank you, that is what I though JE-NAY
    07-20-08 06:46 PM
    Thank you, that is what I though JE-NAY
    You're welcome, sir.

Every time you say that, it makes me laugh.

07-20-08 06:53 PM
    Well I'm glad I could be your entertainment. (Guess the movie!!! *Hint* It was just on T.V. last night)
    07-20-08 06:55 PM
    I guess the main reason is BlackBerry never reveals code. COD files are executable object files, not the sort of thing you can hack.
    07-20-08 06:59 PM
    Yeah no hacks that I know of. I know what your talking about. I used to be a part of a Motorola Community till I got my Blackberry. I hacked the **** outta that phone. Had like every option the manufacturer wanted you to have rather than what the carrier wanted.
    But as far as Blackberry goes, you can't hack it like you would any other phone. Just memory op, unlock themes etc.

07-20-08 06:59 PM
    Also, I'm sure there are hacks, but this isn't exactly the type of site that is going to be full of hackzors
    07-20-08 07:00 PM
    Also, I'm sure there are hacks, but this isn't exactly the type of site that is going to be full of hackzors
    Oh. You didn't see my recent warez post?

07-20-08 07:02 PM
    Isn't the term hackers?

07-20-08 07:03 PM
    Isn't the term hackers?

Yes but I happen to know a few people who pride themselves in hacking and they refer to themselves as hackzors
    07-20-08 07:05 PM
    Hacking can be fun. Its about taking risks and making your device your own. Its kinda neat.
    Kinda like putting the beta software of an OS lol its a thrill of mine personally.

07-20-08 08:08 PM
    Hacking can be fun. Its about taking risks and making your device your own. Its kinda neat.
    Kinda like putting the beta software of an OS lol its a thrill of mine personally.

If you're planning on hacking your phone, then it's best you sell your BB and get yourself a eye-Phone.
    There is a reason why BB is rated the most secure phone.

07-20-08 08:51 PM
    if BB is so secure, why dont other companies do the same thing then? i know iphone has recently been hacked and etc. but if apple didnt want their phone being hacked, why couldnt they do what BB did? ah, absolutely no hacks or custom OS for my BB huh?

07-20-08 10:45 PM
    ... ah, absolutely no hacks or custom OS for my BB huh?

In Apples case, they had something to hide, a definite goal to build tools to work around the locks. That is definable and the brightest minds do it for fun.

BlackBerry has plenty to hide, and a ground up commitment to making sure it stays hidden. They are very good at it, no third party OS in the wind, that I know of....
    07-20-08 10:52 PM
    I wouldnt mind having a vunerable device...gives you the chance to play around abit and explore what it really could do if you push it to the limits...
    07-21-08 06:22 AM
    I wouldnt mind having a vunerable device...gives you the chance to play around abit and explore what it really could do if you push it to the limits...
    Buy yourself a WM device if you want to really explore....
    07-21-08 06:25 AM
    Why hack when you can get an app? Like BB light for older bb's and the flashlight using the BB's camera flash

07-21-08 06:29 AM
    If so be the case, why did you get a BB?
    RIM's intentions was to offer a phone/PDA that is Secure and that Works when you need it, not to give you a toy to play with.

07-21-08 07:19 AM
    Maybe you wouldn't... but the CEO of a fortune 500 company would

The device needs to be secure in order to live up to its original intention... secure business use
    07-21-08 07:26 AM
    That is true to, and I'm not an iPhone fan.

With the realease of the Pearl it seems to me RIM is going in a different direction other than just business CEO's and such. It almost seems like there making Blackberries more accessible to the general public (i.e. some of us non-business users here, such as myself), and making them more people and user friendly by adding options like camera, bluetooth, etc. Where as if your straight business, you stick with the 8800, even tho it has all these features noted, except for the camera.

Just my $0.02

07-21-08 09:26 PM
    When I got my first Verizon Blackberry I thought for sure that I was going to be able to find a "hack" on the internet to make the GPS work. No such luck.
    07-21-08 11:35 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD