I thought I read Samsung was developing Tizen specifically to try and get out of the Google dependency? And I believe Nokia did also release Android devices, although it was very, very late.

I just don't see an Android device convincing anyone to move away from The Note's and S6's. A physical KB a la Typo would probably do ok, but as a long term software-centric company I would still be doing multi-platform corporate services and security (via BES), and also having my own line of "ultra secure" devices via BB10. So you can manage the BYOD environment, but to lock it down completely use BB10. That's the niche.

I personally see Windows Phone as worse off. They are trying to compete in the consumer market, while BlackBerry still has a niche in business, albeit a small one now.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 02:12 PM
    Unfortunately the OP is correct in my opinion. There is WAAAAY too much competition in the android field and with BlackBerry's reputation and obscurity, they will wither and die in no time.
    Most people that buy BlackBerry do so for the OS or the PKB. There are not enough PKB users to sell android devices to.
    extisis likes this.
    07-16-15 02:58 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm...............just bought more stock today. Trying to get as much as possible while it's affordable.

Posted via the Super BlackBerry Passport
    Big mistake bro..forget BBRY and buy stocks from companies with potential like NFLX, AMZN, AAPL, GOOG.
    07-16-15 04:20 PM
    The entire enterprise/consumer choice is a false one. BlackBerry needs to look at the world as security minded entities and non-secruity minded entities. Individuals and businesses who fall into the second category are never going to choose BlackBerry in the modern era. It doesn't matter if they offer a slider, an android based phone, or both.

Knowing that you can do everything you can to earn 100% of the business of the first group.

Posted via CB10
    That might have worked before but BES 12 can secure all devices and Good and Mobileron secure IOS and Android devices so enterprises have steadily moved to those players unloading the fleet of Blackberry.
    07-16-15 04:26 PM
    It doesn't reduce the requirements for the guest OS though. To run two OS at the same time seamlessly you need the resources required by both. So you probably need 3 GB of RAM and quad core minimum to run BlackBerry 10 and Android at the same time with a hypervisor based solution. Doable but pushes the device up to flagship specs for sure.

Posted via Z30
    Well, the Passport could do that now, and the slider presumably has an even better spec. Android CAN run in a low-resource environment, so there might be a strategy to support full-OS virtualization on lower-spec BB10 handsets. I don't know how far back they'll be able to go, assuming they can do this at all.

THAT could pose a problem; if they're still selling older BB10s that can't support the kind of full-OS Android virtualization I'm thinking of here, BlackBerry may not be able to secure OHA certification.
    07-17-15 12:01 PM
    What did they show for what the phone "can't do"?
    Bunch of stupid stuff. Here was the ad

Posted via Z30
    07-17-15 01:27 PM
    Bunch of stupid stuff. Here was the ad

Posted via Z30
    dumbest commercial ever perhaps... considering its intention.
    07-18-15 12:58 PM
    Well, the Passport could do that now, and the slider presumably has an even better spec. Android CAN run in a low-resource environment, so there might be a strategy to support full-OS virtualization on lower-spec BB10 handsets. I don't know how far back they'll be able to go, assuming they can do this at all.

THAT could pose a problem; if they're still selling older BB10s that can't support the kind of full-OS Android virtualization I'm thinking of here, BlackBerry may not be able to secure OHA certification.
    too much work for this.
    07-18-15 01:00 PM
    I agree with OP

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk
    07-19-15 06:32 AM
    Is John Chen the Stephen Elop of Blackberry? What happens now is really a rerun of the downfall of Nokia. The phones aren't selling that well and Blackberry panics and jumps to Android instead in case that would solve anything.

Switching to Android will make them disappear. It is idiotic to believe that people will suddenly start buying hundreds of millions of BlackBerry Android phones while there are dozens of established Android phone manufacturers on the market which already now is fully saturated. Why would anyone want to suddenly stop buying Samsungs, LGs or Sonys and instead start buying Android phones from BlackBerry - neither any more powerful, nor cheaper.

It is not the SW that inhibits Blackberry but the availability and top spec hardware in ALL form factors.

If Blackberry goes Android I'll give them a few years, then they will end up like Nokia.
    1. Blackberry will not stop supporting BB10
    2. Only Samsung sells well. Other manufacturers do not sell as well.
    3. Blackberry brings extra security and physical keyboard to the table

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 07:02 AM
    Big mistake bro..forget BBRY and buy stocks from companies with potential like NFLX, AMZN, AAPL, GOOG.
    Yeah. Specially Amazon with its "fire" phone

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 07:03 AM
    Yeah. Specially Amazon with its "fire" phone

Posted via CB10
    Amazon is not one dimensional. You purchase stocks based on the overall strategy, which is quite good for Amazon.
    07-19-15 08:11 AM
    Definition of insanity : keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results. Blackberry is not making money on BlackBerry phones and salsa are weak. It is better to try something new than keep trying to move product that is anxiously hard to move. CEO job is to run and make company profitable. Not appeal to fun boys on Crackberry

Posted via CB10
    GadgetTravel and mathking606 like this.
    07-19-15 09:10 AM
    Does the BB10 OS have a decent share of the automotive applications and maybe medical for hospital equipment? Ie. I don't think BB10 is going to disappear if BlackBerry adopts Android in some smartphones and continues with BB10 for business and government s/military (secure phones).
    No, it does not. QNX is used in some of those verticals, but QNX is NOT BB10. Don't confuse the 2.
    07-19-15 12:08 PM
    Question, why does everyone assume...
    1) a BB Android will be more expensive than other Android phones? (my Note 4 was 299.00 on contract, that is NOT cheap)
    2) That a BB Android won't have anything cool enough to attract current Android users?

We don't know....
    07-19-15 12:21 PM
    Question, why does everyone assume...
    1) a BB Android will be more expensive than other Android phones? (my Note 4 was 299.00 on contract, that is NOT cheap)
    2) That a BB Android won't have anything cool enough to attract current Android users?

We don't know....
    I guess we'll have to wait and see. Can't hurt because the current direction is leading no where.

What will people (not here on Crackberry) see in a BB Android? Your guess is as good as mine.
    07-19-15 01:03 PM
    Definition of insanity : keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results. Blackberry is not making money on BlackBerry phones and salsa are weak. It is better to try something new than keep trying to move product that is anxiously hard to move. CEO job is to run and make company profitable. Not appeal to fun boys on Crackberry

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry weak sauce...?

Or let's dance..? :-)

�   "BB Android Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."   �
    07-19-15 07:32 PM
167 ... 567