BlackBerry to exit hardware business, posting $372M loss in quarter - Business - CBC News

BlackBerry to exit hardware business, posting $372M loss in quarter
    � The Canadian Press, 2016

Smartphone maker reports 31.8% drop in 2nd-quarter revenue, swings to net loss from year-earlier profit

BlackBerry says it plans to end all internal hardware development � signalling a strategic shift for a company that built its reputation on innovative smartphone technology created at its base in Waterloo, Ont.

The move was announced by BlackBerry chief executive John Chen as the company issued its latest financial report Wednesday morning.

BlackBerry posted a 31.8 per cent fall in second-quarter revenue.

The company reported a net loss of $372 million US, or 71 cents a share, on revenue of $334 million.

A year ago, BlackBerry reported a profit of $51 million, or 24 cents a share, on revenue of $490 million. Excluding one-time items, the company said it broke even.
    cribble2k likes this.
    09-28-16 06:46 AM
    All good things come to an end...
    09-28-16 06:47 AM
    BlackBerry will end all "internal" hardware development.
    09-28-16 06:50 AM
    That was unfortunately inevitable... Surprised it did not happen before considering everything they did wrong in the past couple of years. Once trust in product is lost, very difficult to recoup... :-(
    09-28-16 06:51 AM
    Here's a similar article:
    https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/28/...g-smartphones/

The writer suggests that their could be future blackberry branded smartphones coming, they just won't be produced in house.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-28-16 06:52 AM
    So you are saying dual-boat hypervisor BB11 is still coming? There's still a chance.
    BGRS, howarmat, DrBoomBotz and 8 others like this.
    09-28-16 06:53 AM
    Thanks BlackBerry. I am sorry but I won't buy and cheap sh.. TCL phones in which the internal components are not optimised and a ****.. Camera. Sad day.
    anon(9673419) likes this.
    09-28-16 06:59 AM
    So you are saying dual-boat hypervisor BB11 is still coming? There's still a chance.
    ...nor dark hub and Lithuanian language?WTF!?
    09-28-16 06:59 AM
    Thanks BlackBerry. I am sorry but I won't buy and cheap sh.. TCL phones in which the internal components are not optimised and a ****.. Camera. Sad day.
    you do understand the "internals" for the priv and bb10 devices are pretty much optimized just the same as dteks and such. All are common off the shelf components....
    09-28-16 07:01 AM
    Not a big surprise BlackBerry has minimal employees left to work on devices Chen says he would like to see more Canadians support BlackBerry however its like buying a Hyundai with a Chev sticker on it .
    09-28-16 07:05 AM
    you do understand the "internals" for the priv and bb10 devices are pretty much optimized just the same as dteks and such. All are common off the shelf components....
    They don't just assemble them. They do software optimisation. Especially for bb10. I can just tell you that the cameras will suck big time. After Nokia another dead brand that I liked. And I am %100 sure BlackBerry will fail in their new software market. Just wait till Google and Apple turn their attention to Security when the market is in a considerable size.
    Jack Chin and FalkirkEagle like this.
    09-28-16 07:06 AM
    And here is another interesting write-up:

BlackBerry ups outlook, licenses handset business - MarketWatch

And more importantly this quote:

"On Wednesday, BlackBerry said it had reached what it called its first major device software licensing agreement with newly formed joint venture PT BB Merah Putih to license BlackBerry software and services for the production of handsets for the Indonesian market."

This implies the newly Joint Venture will have fill access to ALL Blackberry's the Blackberry Experience to include Trusted Blackberry for Android Secure Software, for production of new devices in Indonesia. (SA)

BlackBerry Announces First Major Device Software Licensing Agreement With Joint Venture PT BB Merah Putih | Seeking Alpha

I know, it is a SA article but information is information..
    09-28-16 07:07 AM
    They don't just assemble them. They do software optimisation. Especially for bb10. I can just tell you that the cameras will suck big time. After Nokia another dead brand that I liked. And I am %100 sure BlackBerry will fail in their new software market. Just wait till Google and Apple turn their attention to Security when the market is in a considerable size.
    They already have turned their attention...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...nl_tech&wpmm=1

If you recall, this is the area where the Company cracked the IPhone for the FBI.

This message will self destruct in 5 seconds...
    09-28-16 07:10 AM
    John Chen is a moron. The people who brought him there, don't want to talk about them.

This is a person, in charge of a once handset giant telling people that his company's newest phone running Google.
    But he is right on one point. I don't know how large Canadian handset market is but they should have supported BlackBerry. I wish my country had this kind of a company.
    FalkirkEagle likes this.
    09-28-16 07:15 AM
    John Chen is a moron.
    Here we go......
    09-28-16 07:18 AM
    So, you still think a PKB phone is coming?
    Maxxxpower and anon(9742832) like this.
    09-28-16 07:18 AM
    I think we all saw this coming. In many ways it is similar to IBM. For those old enough to remember, there were PC's (only made by IBM) then there were "clones". Eventually the clones eroded IBM's market share to the point where they left the hardware market and concentrated on software and consulting. They're still a very profitable company today, but "meh", as they say.
    andy957 and Sav Sav like this.
    09-28-16 07:20 AM
    Here we go......
    Well, he did not save the company. He will destroy it to the bits.
    09-28-16 07:21 AM
    Not a big surprise BlackBerry has minimal employees left to work on devices Chen says he would like to see more Canadians support BlackBerry however its like buying a Hyundai with a Chev sticker on it .
    You do realize that Hyundai makes better cars then chev... just saying.
    09-28-16 07:23 AM
    Yep! Read what they are saying . Otherwise you fall victim to the press.
    09-28-16 07:23 AM
    This already happened with DTEK 50/60.

Telling us the obvious.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    dolco likes this.
    09-28-16 07:25 AM
    That means there would be no mercury. Dtek60 is probably the last blackberry phone we'll see.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 07:26 AM
    Yep! Read what they are saying . Otherwise you fall victim to the press.
    Reading comprehension is important
    09-28-16 07:27 AM
    They should have kept the design team. No matter what.
    Design it then have it built on a consensus with the partner.
    09-28-16 07:27 AM
    Well, he did not save the company. He will destroy it to the bits.
    Not to dredge up and already beaten to death topic, but you do realize that there be no BB without him.. the company was for sale at bargain basement prices (a Fire sale) and there no takers. None, nada, zippo.

Without Chen and despite his stumbles and mistakes, BB would not exist as a company (software or not) but because of him, there is still light at the end of the software tunnel.

It may be the train bearing down on us, but it is still a BB light.
    09-28-16 07:28 AM
585 123 ...