I'm planing to purchase a new Blackberry phone which I could use for sending and receiving e-mails beside making calls.
    Could you please provide me with information about BES?
    In case I'm checking my existing email address which is provided by Network Solutions, would my email go through the Blackberry Enterprise Server? Could anyone check the registrant of the original Network Solutions email address/domain name if I'm using it through my Blackberry? Which country is BES located in for users in Central Europe?

I simply ask these question because I will publish a book in the near future and I would like to use my existing email address where people can contact me. But since my book will be published under my Pen Name therefore I would not like people to track me down by following the path of my email communication.
    08-19-10 07:13 AM
    Can you access your Network Solutions e-mail thru your web browser, or is it only accessable thru an outlook program?

The reason I ask is because BES is used by many corporations as a mobile solution for their employees who need their e-mail on the go, and the company uses an Enterprise server to handle the mail. If you can access your e-mail via the web, then you would be able to access it from a BB using the personal BIS plan.
    08-19-10 07:49 AM
    BES is used for Corporate Intranets. It runs alongside Lotus Domino, Microsoft Exchange, or Novell GroupWise. If you need to contact an IT department to configure your BlackBerry, then you need BES, otherwise BIS is all you would use
    08-19-10 01:17 PM
    I can access my Network Solutions e-mail thru my web browser. It does not require outlook program.
    But I would like to find out if I need to use BES or BIS for not being able to tracked down by others by following the path of my email traffic.
    08-23-10 02:20 AM
    BIS is what you would use, as it is the only data plan that's available to us consumers. As stated above, BES is for corporations employing a fleet of BB devices that need access to an Enterprise server for e-mail.

BIS transmissions are fully encrypeted and cannot be read by anyone, not even RIM, now, if someone were to log into your Network Solutions e-mail on a computer, they would be able to see what you send and recieve, but as far as someone tracking what you're doing on your BB, it's simply not in the cards...
    08-23-10 07:51 AM
    Is your publisher on BES? If so, they may be able to provide you with an address attached to them. You could negotiate for them to get you a BBerry or you could buy your own. Get the BB on the publisher's BES, your email is not tracked to you.
    One huge drawback would be your publisher has control over your mail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-10 08:29 AM
    Is your publisher on BES? If so, they may be able to provide you with an address attached to them. You could negotiate for them to get you a BBerry or you could buy your own. Get the BB on the publisher's BES, your email is not tracked to you.
    One huge drawback would be your publisher has control over your mail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Not just your mail, but your whole phone!
    08-23-10 10:20 AM
    BIS would probably be sufficient here. However, if you want to take advantage of some of the nicer synchronization features for Blackberry you will want to go with BES. You can go with a hosted Exchange service through a company like MailStreet for this.

I am not sure if hosted Exchange is any more secure than BIS though.
    08-23-10 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD