I really don't know why,people oh sorry the MEDIA especially CNET,allways bash Blackberry's,if you visit phonescoop.com and read the reviews on the Torch 9810,they give it really good reviews,the conSumers those are the ones that count,so blackberry will never leave my site I'm actually looking forward to the new BBX(QNX) smartphone,I have the Playbook and I'm very very pleased with it.
    JackJerry likes this.
    11-12-11 11:06 AM
    It's their job to compare products. The new 9900 price for an upgrade is 199.00. It's also the same price as the new iPhone 4s. If you compared both phones objectively, most would agree that the iPhone is the much more polished product, and you would probably get more bang for your buck for the same price as the 9900.

User reviews are different, as the purchase has been made and it's the buyers who are telling us what theylike and dislike after using it for a while.
    11-12-11 12:02 PM
    It's their job to compare products. The new 9900 price for an upgrade is 199.00. It's also the same price as the new iPhone 4s. If you compared both phones objectively, most would agree that the iPhone is the much more polished product, and you would probably get more bang for your buck for the same price as the 9900.

User reviews are different, as the purchase has been made and it's the buyers who are telling us what theylike and dislike after using it for a while.
    If by bang for your buck you mean apps apps apps then I hate to burst your bubble. Most good apps you have to pay for meaning $$$. Good Apps for Blackberry you have to pay for too, but most people who buy Blackberries aren't buying it to be a digital 101 apps swiss army knife that makes "meh" calls and communication function.

Your "polished" comment is purely objective so you're entitled to your opinion. Funny still when you're comparing the aesthetics of the IP4S when it's the exact same as the IP4. Not that I mind frankly, it does look nice. But I remember the hype/fad/cult crowd saying that they were shocked that they kept it the same as if the from factor was now stale.

Glad you like your iPhone but you two assumptions are false.
    11-12-11 12:20 PM
    Palm originally defined the smartphone as essentially a messaging-centric PDA with a cellular connection and front facing QWERTY keyboard (with apps that would be considered expensive by today's standards). RIM took that concept and ran with it, and arguably was the pinnacle of that type of device.

The problem is, whether we like it or not, Apple has re-defined people's idea of a smartphone with the iPhone. Smartphones are now seen as large touch screen devices, with simple UIs, with a heavy emphasis on web browsing, media, and apps. All smartphones are going to be compared to this standard when the media does their reviews - and those are precisely the areas where BlackBerry devices have been the weakest.
    Chrisy and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-12-11 12:44 PM
    Palm originally defined the smartphone as essentially a messaging-centric PDA with a cellular connection and front facing QWERTY keyboard (with apps that would be considered expensive by today's standards). RIM took that concept and ran with it, and arguably was the pinnacle of that type of device.

The problem is, whether we like it or not, Apple has re-defined people's idea of a smartphone with the iPhone. Smartphones are now seen as large touch screen devices, with simple UIs, with a heavy emphasis on web browsing, media, and apps. All smartphones are going to be compared to this standard when the media does their reviews - and those are precisely the areas where BlackBerry devices have been the weakest.
    I would agree with you except for the role of media.
    The media is suppose to be a lot more objective. It's lazy at the moment and review the surface of devices or the "talking points". Sure the masses eat that up but shouldn't tech reviewers go beyond that? I'm not saying go all geek-out and inundate us with specs but seriously the "depth" and cross analysis they go into is akin to a book report in elementary school.

Seriously, all their info they could get from the presser info or just by the first minute of looking at the device.

I don't mind if they have certain bars set as it should be. But there's a difference between setting bars and disregarding other metrics for the sake of cheerleading the current "chosen" devices.

It's not easy, being professional and leaving personal opinions/bias out of what you say and write.

But that's your job. And as people were so quick to say to RIM a few weeks ago...

We deserve better.
    11-12-11 01:39 PM
    If by bang for your buck you mean apps apps apps then I hate to burst your bubble. Most good apps you have to pay for meaning $$$.
    Good point. Kindle, Netflix, Hulu, etc. . . all very expensive.

Your "polished" comment is purely objective so you're entitled to your opinion. Funny still when you're comparing the aesthetics of the IP4S when it's the exact same as the IP4.
    I'm fairly certain the "polished" comment includes software.
    11-12-11 01:53 PM

you sure a more polished product , i hope you don't have an accent - siri doesn't like slurs . such polishing w/ a shyt battery life instead of antenna gate hey haha OUCH !

and the media are all mostly in their 40s late 50s , w/ not much tech behind them , only know that apple doesnt give viruses to them like windows right - apple fanboys troll too much , w/ no backup
    AlienSlacker likes this.
    11-12-11 01:54 PM

I'm fairly certain the "polished" comment includes software.
    Software is not specifically counted as part of the phone itself. I liken it more to an accessory. If they are to be counted as being part of the phone itself it should have been pre-installed. Although, you could argue that the free apps could count, I guess.

Yes the accessories are polished, but I assumed that polished refers to the device itself only. Under that metric the posters comment I still have to say it purely opinion even if it is shared amongst many.
    11-14-11 09:22 AM
    In-app purchases are a type of payment. With the exception of Hulu, these apps can get expensive indeed if you want to do anything useful with them.
    11-14-11 09:33 AM
    and the media are all mostly in their 40s late 50s , w/ not much tech behind them , only know that apple doesnt give viruses to them like windows right - apple fanboys troll too much , w/ no backup
    Wait, what? I'm 44, been involved in tech since a Timex/Sinclair 1000 when I was 11 years old. I'll put my credentials up against anyone younger than me.

It has nothing to do with age. It's hard for reviewers to be unbiased when it comes to smartphones. Everyone has their favorites and cannot be objective when doing reviews. I think a review by a non-tech person would be the best. Just give them an IP4, BB and an Android device, and even a WP7 and let them give their unbiased opinions.
    Caymancroc likes this.
    11-14-11 09:35 AM
    New OS7 devices are great, really loving mine. Upgrading the OS from .261 to .474 on 9810 really helped a lot also. Picked up and iphone at a store once and I don't get them. They're cool but for the form factor I'd rather have a playbook or ipad. Any person that has an iphone must not need to type a lot on it for business and emails, in fact most friends I know like it more for web browsing then anything. I've had a friend admit that he wouldn't want it if he had to type long emails on it a lot.

The iphone doesn't have a keyboard, replaceable battery, only one button, and uses a ton of data. Plus I talked to a guy that builds cell towers and he said they drop calls because of the large data requirement, regardless of the network. Other then that iphones are really cool to web browse and take artsy pics.

Then again my Torch 9810 web browses great and takes good pics alson with a keyboard, data compression, and replaceable battery if I needed it. Battery life for me is great on .474

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-11 09:39 AM
    I think everyone has an opinion and a good and/or bad experience/story with a blackberry, iPhone, windows and android phone.

For every "my friend has ____ and hates it" I'm sure someone will have a "my friend has ____ and loves it" story.

War Is All We Know
    11-14-11 09:52 AM

The iphone doesn't have a keyboard, replaceable battery, only one button, and uses a ton of data. Plus I talked to a guy that builds cell towers and he said they drop calls because of the large data requirement, regardless of the network. Other then that iphones are really cool to web browse and take artsy pics.

Then again my Torch 9810 web browses great and takes good pics alson with a keyboard, data compression, and replaceable battery if I needed it. Battery life for me is great on .474

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Absolutely! The simplicity of the one button and UI drove me nuts! I love options and customizing things.

If I didnt have a Blackberry before trying out the iPhone I probably would have enjoyed it more. Typing on it was a huge pain! I came running back to my BB after a week of torture lol!

I did enjoy the web browsing experience on the iPhone, but now that I have my OS 7 Bold, web browsing is not an issue anymore

I also love the data compression. I mainly use Wifi and barely go over 200 mb a month. So i can get the cheapest data plan available!
    11-14-11 02:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD