So, I just dropped my 8900 in a protein shake. What do I do to clean this? It still works, the right side convenience key doesn't work and obviously the track ball isn't performing very well.

Please Help.
    06-09-09 04:00 PM
    First off, take the battery out before something shortcircuits and permanently damages your BB.

Then the only hope for your BB is to thoroughly clean it with distilled water, followed by isopropyl alcohol to remove the water. Then allow the BB to thoroughly dry under low heat, not in a hot car, etc.

If you have insurance, it's probably best to just start an insurance claim now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-09 04:20 PM
    Some have found that packing they're water damaged BB in a jar of rice has worked well for getting all the moisture.

06-09-09 04:27 PM
    It was only in for less than a second, literally. I grabbed that thing fast. Also, the shake was very thick and so I don't think it got that "wet", internally any ways.
    06-09-09 05:58 PM
    It turns out I also have speaker problems. I can barely hear out of it and the speaker phone now has horrible sound quality.
    06-09-09 07:59 PM
    Bag of rice

06-09-09 08:04 PM
    Get thee some uncooked rice ASAP! Silica packs (like they put in pill bottles) can help too.
    06-09-09 08:08 PM
    All the rice on Earth is not going to help you. Your phone is on
    its way to becoming a paperweight. Rice will draw out moisture
    but a thick protein shake it will do no good for. Add to that the
    sugars (natural or added) and that phone will never be the same.
    06-09-09 08:22 PM
    Wish the protien made your phone stronger! It sucks- I was just in your shoes 2 months ago. I droped my phone in the pool

While this question may help you, I will ask it here- what do you do with a dead phone? I had the world edition BB and my 13 month old doesn't even want it. Is there a market for "parts" ?

06-09-09 10:26 PM
    PMomma, as AG said a water damaged BB isn't good for much of anything except a paperweight.

I certainly wouldn't want any parts from a dunked BB, except possibly the housing and keypad.

06-09-09 10:35 PM
    Still alive. How hard is it to crack this phone open and clean it? Also, what color should the water damage sticker be on the battery?
    06-10-09 09:33 AM
    Still going, I really think opening it up and cleaning it out will help though.
    06-12-09 06:57 PM
    Still alive. How hard is it to crack this phone open and clean it? Also, what color should the water damage sticker be on the battery?
    There is a sticker on the housing above the SIM card. If it is any color other
    than white that is not good. The sticker on the battery IS NOT a water damage
    indicator. It is a "void if removed sticker". All the moisture in the world will not
    change its color.
    06-12-09 07:18 PM
    Still alive. How hard is it to crack this phone open and clean it?
    Search youtube for videos on disassembly of the 8300, it applies to any 83XX.
    06-12-09 07:50 PM
    There is a sticker on the housing above the SIM card. If it is any color other
    than white that is not good. The sticker on the battery IS NOT a water damage
    indicator. It is a "void if removed sticker". All the moisture in the world will not
    change its color.
    On the inside edge near the top? F.

Search youtube for videos on disassembly of the 8300, it applies to any 83XX.
    There's actually a disasembly video on here but it's useless. Around second 18 it covers taking off the top cover where the ear phone is, in the video it comes off with ease, not so in real life. I tried, a lot.
    06-12-09 08:56 PM
    I used a disassembly video from YouTube. It's pretty straight forward, but you need the right screwdrivers. I went swimming in a creek a few weeks ago and set my 8330 on the edge of a deck that overlooked the creek. I got a phone call at one point and my phone vibrated off the deck (about 6 feet), hit the rocky ground and slid down into the water. It was completely submersed in about one and a half feet under water for 45 minutes before I realized my phone was missing. I took it out and shook the water out. Tried turning it on later that night and it still didn't work. Tried again the next morning and it worked, but the screen looked a little blotchy. This is when I took it apart and cleaned/dried it out with renewed hope. After about a day the blotchiness went away and you can't tell the phone was ever wet. So don't lose hope, you still might be able to save yours.

I was surprised that mine still worked, since the incoming call would have kept the radio powered up, speaker ringing and motor vibrating, all while under water.
    06-13-09 09:37 PM
    It's still working and the speakers are getting better. The key lock button isn't really working though, it's been getting worse and worse and now I'm afraid to press it. The side key lock turns it on but not off, is that supposed to work that way?
    06-18-09 06:40 PM
    Still going strong. I was able to open it up and clean it out. The speaker works great now.
    08-19-09 09:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD