I wrote the following in response the Inside BlackBerry blog posting "The BlackBerry Ecosystem is Built to Grow"
    The BlackBerry Ecosystem is Built to Grow �Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog

Yes it's long-ish, but if you wish BlackBerry offered web-based versions of its products like I do, maybe it's worth a read...
    (I soooo wish CrackBerry would do an in-depth article on this topic..)

The BlackBerry ecosystem is a topic I've been greatly frustrated with and of which I never hear much about, maybe because I'm interested in a different part of the ecosystem than others. My greatest wish, other than the successful launch of BB10 phones/OS... and maybe a 10"+ PlayBook... is for RIM/BlackBerry to start building web-based services of its own. I can't remember if it was old management or new, but one of the CEOs said they wanted BlackBerry to be the pipe that other services flow through. But the problem seems to be that many of the most successful services are building their own pipes(Apple->iPhone/iPad, Google->Android/Nexus, Windows->Windows Phone)... So what is the value of a BlackBerry pipe, if there are few services that need to flow through it?

Where is...

BlackBerry's version of Gmail? - BlackBerry always talks about secure communications, so why doesn't BlackBerry build its own web-based email solution so that it can offer consumers and enterprise an end-to-end secure communications platform? Mimic if need be, the great features and flexibility of Gmail, and then add BlackBerry security to make it king of the hill.

BlackBerry's version of Google Docs? - BlackBerry already has Docs to Go, where is the web-based version/solution? I want to be able to create/edit documents online or on my BlackBerry and have them sync etc.

BlackBerry's social (BBM) network? - On BBM, people are already sharing statuses, sending messages, sharing pictures, videos, music, files, and soon to be video/audio chatting... Why the heck isn't there already a "bb.com" website where all this information is accessible just like Facebook?

Web-based versions of Calendar, Tasks, MemoPad, Maps, Contacts, etc, etc, etc...

BlackBerry's own true cloud service? - For keeping all our media, settings, and all of the above synced and available from anywhere at anytime.

(It's not a web-based service, but... The BlackBerry browser seems to be doing well with its test scores etc, why not have it make the jump from mobile to PC so we can have a synced browsing experience???)

Maybe I don't get it, or maybe I'm just plain ol' crazy... But I believe RIM/BlackBerry MUST evolve and offer it's own web-based services. Without these services, there is far less incentive for people to choose BlackBerry and far more incentive for people to chose another platform. My brother used to use a BlackBerry but eventually switched to Android, why?... Because he uses Gmail, Google, Google Maps and Google Docs/Drive on a daily basis and wanted the best mobile solution for accessing his web-based services. Other people have Macs and use iTunes, and thus will be drawn to iPhones/iPads. And then there are Windows users, who use Office, MSN, IE, Skype... these people may eventually choose Windows Phone.

So the #1 question is..... Other than the BlackBerry OS iself, what reason is there to use a BlackBerry? What 3rd party services are best experienced on BlackBerry? Does BlackBerry offer a better iTunes, Mac integration experience than Apple products? Does BlackBerry offer a better Google-anything experience than Android products? Does BlackBerry offer a better Office, Skype, Windows integration experience than Windows Phone?

BlackBerry needs to create its own web-based services for existing and non-BlackBerry users so that when users become hooked on these services and want the best mobile experience for said services... they will be more likely to choose BlackBerry devices.

I believe Thorsten had said that BlackBerry can't do everything itself, and will look for partners. The problem is that partners will eventually do whats best for themselves. Google used to make Gmail and Google Maps apps for BlackBerry... when's the last time we saw any movement on that front? Don't worry, it's not like those are important services that anybody uses.

Please note I'm not saying BlackBerry will fail without building the above, but I do believe they will be a different company. They will no longer be a consumer product and there will be no true BlackBerry devices in our pockets. They will likely evolve into a behind-the-scenes company with their QNX M2M vision... Until a car company etc decides to build its own M2M system and the whole cycle starts again...

If I could ask Thorsten one question only, it'd be "Why aren't you building your own integrated web-based services like the Googles of the world?"

Despite everything above, can't wait for BB10!!!

Peter
    stephensonpac, Maddog24g and BBMak like this.
    11-27-12 05:37 PM
    No no no no
    11-27-12 05:44 PM
    There's a lot of good reasons RIM doesn't have things like Google Drive (money, company size, ROI, prexisting market, different market, etc). But why would they need to make those things if you can just used the existing ones?
    Gmail specifically, works great with BlackBerry. No need for a separate app.
    Maps - BlackBerry does make a mapping app, but also used Bing maps on the PlayBook.
    11-27-12 05:47 PM
    No no no no
    Yes yes yes yes
    11-27-12 05:51 PM
    Size of the company and money, I understand... Different/pre-existing markets I don't. The profit margins on electronic devices are getting smaller every day, if BlackBerry doesn't expand into new markets, how the heck are they supposed to make money? Amazon and Google sell their devices with little or no markup because they make money on other services, if BlackBerry doesn't produce other services of its own, how can they survive?

Using existing services is okay at times, but never ideal. You'll almost always have a second-class product, especially if the service provider has their own platform which they serve first and place the best features and integration. Google isn't providing BlackBerry with its maps app and turn-by-turn voice navigation... so how is that good for me on a BlackBerry?

There's a lot of good reasons RIM doesn't have things like Google Drive (money, company size, ROI, prexisting market, different market, etc). But why would they need to make those things if you can just used the existing ones?
    Gmail specifically, works great with BlackBerry. No need for a separate app.
    Maps - BlackBerry does make a mapping app, but also used Bing maps on the PlayBook.
    11-27-12 05:58 PM
    Taking on too many 'services' is what contributed to RIM's current position. Let them rebuild themselves with some handsets first. Pointless to talk about added value items when I don't yet have a BlackBerry 10 device in my hands. Do I wish they had those things? Sure. But right now, I wish I had a device to make use of more.

"You cannot be everybody's darling, you can't," said Heins. "I'm not going to develop games anymore, I'm not going to develop maps—there's a company out there that really can do it better than I can,” said Heins. So I need to partner, I need to get them on board, I need to get them a great programming interface, and off we go."
    What you're asking for is for RIM to continue down the same path that ultimately led to their decline.
    aragone79 and nnomad like this.
    11-27-12 06:02 PM
    I agree, Bla1ze. I want the new handsets as bad as anyone and yes they need to focus on getting BB10 launched successfully... BUT... in my view, they can't wait 2 years to proceed with other services. They really need to learn to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time if they're ever going to really get ahead.

I see BB10 as an island, a beautiful island I can't wait to spend my time on. However, this island has little industry of it's own and requires that most of its food and supplies be brought to it by boat. Seems okay, until those who supply the island either choose to supply continents first and send the island what little they have left over, or stop supplying the island all together. Since the island has little industry of its own... well... people go hungry. So, a beautiful island without food for its people, really not such a great island. lol I'm a super fan of BlackBerry of course... I just want MORE BlackBerry. :-D
    Taking on too many 'services' is what contributed to RIM's current position. Let them rebuild themselves with some handsets first. Pointless to talk about added value items when I don't yet have a BlackBerry 10 device in my hands. Do I wish they had those things? Sure. But right now, I wish I had a device to make use of more.

"You cannot be everybody's darling, you can't," said Heins.
    11-27-12 06:13 PM
    Bla1ze, I agree completely.
    11-27-12 06:18 PM
    RIM has stated that they are going to let companies that specialize in particular types of services offer those services, and RIM will partner with them. This is the correct approach given their current financial position. RIM needs to re-establish the Blackberry brand in NA, expand BB10's footprint with phones, tablets and other devices, then once they have their ducks in a row can evaluate taking on more in house. Apple's ecosystem isn't open, and Google works on everything.
    11-27-12 07:09 PM
    I would love to see a suite of web apps in sync with my BB, the way my old SideKick had its "Desktop Interface." I think a lot of BB users would like a secure alternative to Google services, if they had similar functionality. The trouble is, it's expensive to develop and maintain that level of service. Google does it for "free" by selling data to advertisers. If we don't want RIM to get into that game, we'd have to expect to pay more for the services. If it came to that, I don't know how many people would want it.
    11-27-12 07:15 PM
    RIM has stated that they are going to let companies that specialize in particular types of services offer those services, and RIM will partner with them. This is the correct approach given their current financial position. RIM needs to re-establish the Blackberry brand in NA, expand BB10's footprint with phones, tablets and other devices, then once they have their ducks in a row can evaluate taking on more in house. Apple's ecosystem isn't open, and Google works on everything.
    Wonderful in theory, but I haven't heard of any real partnerships that address the topic of web-based services. Have you? Google works on everything?... How did you get Google Maps with spoken turn-by-turn directions working? Having access to Google's products through the web browser is not a solution, most require OS integration.

Once BB10 launches, and the excitement starts to die down as people get used to having their new BBs, without new BlackBerry services... what's gonna drive new customers to BlackBerry?

And I agree they need to get their ducks in a row... but that doesn't mean they can't start preparing for what's next.
    11-27-12 07:42 PM
    I would love to see a suite of web apps in sync with my BB, the way my old SideKick had its "Desktop Interface." I think a lot of BB users would like a secure alternative to Google services, if they had similar functionality. The trouble is, it's expensive to develop and maintain that level of service. Google does it for "free" by selling data to advertisers. If we don't want RIM to get into that game, we'd have to expect to pay more for the services. If it came to that, I don't know how many people would want it.
    I wouldn't really have a problem with RIM pursuing more ad-based revenue, like all things within reason. If I were RIM doing web-based services like Google, I'd pursue the same advertising methods/revenue Google does, but only for consumer BlackBerry users. Enterprise users would be guaranteed no advertising or data-mining to ensure absolute privacy and security. Your average non-enterprise BlackBerry users though aren't really any different than a user on another platform... as one of them(a non-enterprise bb user), if I can trust Google with my email now, I believe I could have just as much trust or more if RIM were running things.
    11-27-12 07:55 PM
    Wonderful in theory, but I haven't heard of any real partnerships that address the topic of web-based services. Have you? Google works on everything?... How did you get Google Maps with spoken turn-by-turn directions working? Having access to Google's products through the web browser is not a solution, most require OS integration.

Once BB10 launches, and the excitement starts to die down as people get used to having their new BBs, without new BlackBerry services... what's gonna drive new customers to BlackBerry?

And I agree they need to get their ducks in a row... but that doesn't mean they can't start preparing for what's next.
    Your mentioning web based services, and asking why there isn't web access to these services, then saying that you need apps like Google Maps? Anyway RIM announced a partnership with TomTom for the Mapping software in BB10 that will be tightly integrated with the OS, and BBTraffic is already using this data on BBOS. How do you access Google service from your PC (apps or browser?

For business grade cloud e-mail/services RIM is partnering with Microsoft now for Business Cloud Services: BlackBerry - Business Cloud Services for Microsoft Office 365 - US

RIM has calendar, e-mail and contact synchronization with Google in both BBOS and BB10. Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn are all integrated into BB10 at the OS level too via the Hub for contact, calendar and messaging integration too. RIM has done a lot of work to integrate the capability to interface with the major players to give the user flexibility, and not have to rely on a that vendors app for content.
    11-27-12 08:49 PM
    I can really see both sides of this. I agree that it would be nice to have all those services from BlackBerry. I also see the argument against spending all the R&D cash when other companies have done it before. Maybe Heins statement about this just being the begining of the mobile computing device revolution means those things may come later. I would love to see it.
    Last edited by travaz; 11-27-12 at 08:54 PM. Reason: typo
    11-27-12 08:50 PM

Agree with you. But do you think RIM let us go deeper to their kitchen? No, they are not. So, I guess they already prepare for what's next. About web based service, probably it will, but possibly not.
    11-27-12 10:06 PM
    Security. Web services that are not tied to a device are much harder to secure.

Lol. I could see someone entering the wrong password on their BlackBerry web email account too many times and then RIM remote wipes their whole PC.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-27-12 10:20 PM
    We've already seen a leak of the BB10 settings menu with an item called BlackBerry Cloud and when reviewing app permissions in the settings menu on the current DevAlpha build it says in the description of the file permission that the selected app can access all files on the device, memory card [...] and in the cloud.
    This sounds like we'll get a cloud service at least for files and probably other things too (or a very tight integration of other cloud services and a rebranding of BB Protect).
    11-28-12 09:29 AM
    It does seem like they're trying to integrate tightly with some 3rd party cloud services... Makes ya wonder why they own NewBay if that's the route they wanna go. Hopefully tight integration with 3rd party cloud services is just a feature of BB10, and that NewBay will actually provide a BlackBerry branded cloud service with some differentiators.
    11-28-12 10:37 AM
    It does seem like they're trying to integrate tightly with some 3rd party cloud services... Makes ya wonder why they own NewBay if that's the route they wanna go. Hopefully tight integration with 3rd party cloud services is just a feature of BB10, and that NewBay will actually provide a BlackBerry branded cloud service with some differentiators.
    RIM was trying to sell Newbay in August. They only paid $100 Million for it and it would sell for less so they should probably just suck it up and put it to use.
    11-28-12 12:49 PM