Hello Crackberry and mobile nation members,
    I am looking for a bit of advice that I hope you can offer to me. I was a long time webOS fan, who absolutely adored using Palm devices. The Palm Pixi Plus was a match made in heaven that I used for several years, until I eventually upgraded to the Pre 3. While the Pre 3 was nearly perfect , I later switched to a Galaxy Nexus after HP crushed the community. I planned to use the Galaxy Nexus for many years as, I was unable to use an upgrade without the expense of loosing my grandfathered unlimited data plan on Verizon.

Fast-forward to the present; my family has now switched to a share everything plan in order to obtain a Verizon Mobile hotspot. The mobile hotspot is our only source of internet, due to cable and high speed internet providers unwillingness to bring internet to our house. While I am over joyed that I no longer rely solely on dial-up and a phone as my only connection, I can no longer use the Galaxy Nexus for fear of the phone eating up the entire family's data plan.

I currently am using a basic non smartphone, but I find myself deeply regretting it. It seems I still have the constant urge to always look things on the fly at work and on the go. I also cannot stand the horrid resistive screen on my current "dumb phone" that is not very responsive or accurate. I crave a phone that has a physical keyboard and can access wifi. Hence why I am here. The Q10 looks very appealing, and reminds me of an updated Palm Pixi. I have used a Bold 9650 and a Blackberry Playbook in the past and found that they work fairly well. So I have a few questions about the Q10 and Blackberry 10 I would like to ask:

Is Blackberry 10 as much of a data hog as Android?
    Is it possible to have the device only sync through Wifi?
    Is it possible to track data usage on Blackberry 10?
    Does BB10 conserve data as well as past versions of Blackberry?
    Is it possible to make word short cuts? Example: When you type "u" it automatically turns into "you"?
    Would you recommend a Q10 or Bold 9930 for me?
    How well does Blackberry sync with Google Contacts, Google Calendar and Gmail?
    Is it possible to restrict what apps can access the mobile network?
    Would you recommend a different OEM over Blackberry?
    Does Blackberry still have a future?
    Can you use offline maps for GPS?

Remember I want to use as little data as possible and still have a decent device.
    07-23-13 12:20 AM
    Hello Crackberry and mobile nation members,
    I am looking for a bit of advice that I hope you can offer to me. I was a long time webOS fan, who absolutely adored using Palm devices. The Palm Pixi Plus was a match made in heaven that I used for several years, until I eventually upgraded to the Pre 3. While the Pre 3 was nearly perfect , I later switched to a Galaxy Nexus after HP crushed the community. I planned to use the Galaxy Nexus for many years as, I was unable to use an upgrade without the expense of loosing my grandfathered unlimited data plan on Verizon.

Fast-forward to the present; my family has now switched to a share everything plan in order to obtain a Verizon Mobile hotspot. The mobile hotspot is our only source of internet, due to cable and high speed internet providers unwillingness to bring internet to our house. While I am over joyed that I no longer rely solely on dial-up and a phone as my only connection, I can no longer use the Galaxy Nexus for fear of the phone eating up the entire family's data plan.

I currently am using a basic non smartphone, but I find myself deeply regretting it. It seems I still have the constant urge to always look things on the fly at work and on the go. I also cannot stand the horrid resistive screen on my current "dumb phone" that is not very responsive or accurate. I crave a phone that has a physical keyboard and can access wifi. Hence why I am here. The Q10 looks very appealing, and reminds me of an updated Palm Pixi. I have used a Bold 9650 and a Blackberry Playbook in the past and found that they work fairly well. So I have a few questions about the Q10 and Blackberry 10 I would like to ask:

Is Blackberry 10 as much of a data hog as Android?
    Is it possible to have the device only sync through Wifi?
    Is it possible to track data usage on Blackberry 10?
    Does BB10 conserve data as well as past versions of Blackberry?
    Is it possible to make word short cuts? Example: When you type "u" it automatically turns into "you"?
    Would you recommend a Q10 or Bold 9930 for me?
    How well does Blackberry sync with Google Contacts, Google Calendar and Gmail?
    Is it possible to restrict what apps can access the mobile network?
    Would you recommend a different OEM over Blackberry?
    Does Blackberry still have a future?
    Can you use offline maps for GPS?

Remember I want to use as little data as possible and still have a decent device.
    To answer your questions

1. I've heard it is better

2. It certainly is possible, and not difficult to do

3. It is but you need to download an app. There's already some good ones in BlackBerry World

4. BlackBerry 10 uses somewhat more data because most data isn't routed through bis and compressed, which makes it faster, and not prone to the infamous blackberry outages.

5. It is possible to make word shortcuts in the settings

6. If saving data is really the most important thing for you, I'd recommend the 9930. However I think the q10 is definitely a better phone than the 9930

7. Currently not very well. I bet some people will dispute that, but I have found it does a poor job syncing with anything Google related. Although that will probably improve with updates, currently the answer is no

8. I like blackberry and there are definitely some hardware advantages to blackberry

9. BlackBerry has a good future. The biggest risk is someone buying and breaking up the company. They aren't going to go bankrupt any time soon.

10. Yes you can use offline maps

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 01:17 AM
    short answer is that the bb10 devices are around the same as android and ios now, there were a few threads complaining about it when the z10 first released as people hardly used any data on os7 phones and below and suddenly found themselves with huge bills from going over their 1gb limits

get the 9930, the q10 is way better but it will use more data

edit:
    check out these threads to compare:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...orging-826973/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...normal-825970/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-plans-820011/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-usage-824162/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...30-z10-813940/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ou-use-813443/
    Last edited by Acidwire; 07-23-13 at 01:34 AM.
    07-23-13 01:23 AM
    To answer your questions

1. I've heard it is better

2. It certainly is possible, and not difficult to do

3. It is but you need to download an app. There's already some good ones in BlackBerry World

4. BlackBerry 10 uses somewhat more data because most data isn't routed through bis and compressed, which makes it faster, and not prone to the infamous blackberry outages.

5. It is possible to make word shortcuts in the settings

6. If saving data is really the most important thing for you, I'd recommend the 9930. However I think the q10 is definitely a better phone than the 9930

7. Currently not very well. I bet some people will dispute that, but I have found it does a poor job syncing with anything Google related. Although that will probably improve with updates, currently the answer is no

8. I like blackberry and there are definitely some hardware advantages to blackberry

9. BlackBerry has a good future. The biggest risk is someone buying and breaking up the company. They aren't going to go bankrupt any time soon.

10. Yes you can use offline maps

Posted via CB10
    Syncing with Google is not hard. Seriously. Activesync works.
    07-23-13 01:25 AM
    Syncing with Google is not hard. Seriously. Activesync works.
    google doesnt use activesync anymore as the norm. Have to use imap instead.
    07-23-13 01:30 AM
    Answers inline.

Is Blackberry 10 as much of a data hog as Android? On par with all other smartphones but no headless apps means less data use.
    Is it possible to have the device only sync through Wifi? Yes, doesn't even need a sim
    Is it possible to track data usage on Blackberry 10? Yes $0.99 app
    Does BB10 conserve data as well as past versions of Blackberry? Nope, no compression anymore.
    Is it possible to make word short cuts? Example: When you type "u" it automatically turns into "you"? Yes BlackBerry kept this feature
    Would you recommend a Q10 or Bold 9930 for me? Depends on what you need
    How well does Blackberry sync with Google Contacts, Google Calendar and Gmail? All work just fine for me
    Is it possible to restrict what apps can access the mobile network? Yes kill them (close active frame) or restrict access thru permissions
    Would you recommend a different OEM over Blackberry? Depends on what you need.
    Does Blackberry still have a future? I don't know but I'll support them as long as they're here
    Can you use offline maps for GPS? I don't thin so.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 01:32 AM
    You'd want the Bold 9930.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    07-23-13 02:01 AM
    Thanks for all the helpful replies! I currently am pretty convinced to join the Blackberry community. But I have a few questions before I go out on Thursday to pick up a device; A lot of you answered saying that both BB10 & Blackberry 7 can be set to only sync on wifi. Do you mean that there is an actual setting that I can set so It ONLY syncs on wifi or that I have to manually sync when connected to wifi? Also with offline maps, can I download specific areas like Google Maps can or do I just load routes while connected to wifi? Finally, is there any voice commands or voice recognition on BB10?
    07-23-13 06:23 PM
    There is voice command and such. A couple apps in BB World also.

I dont think you can set it to only sync when on wifi. You can sync on timeframes or manual but not dependent on connection type.

There are several options for offline maps so im sure you can find something that works for you
    07-23-13 06:38 PM
    Data connection off, Wifi on should do the trick. I use it sometimes to conserve power, bandwith.
    07-27-13 01:04 PM
    Sound like BlackBerry is the perfect fit for you. I would go with the Q10 because it is running the current bb10 OS and as bb10 gets better and more features get added you will be able to use them because it will just be a simple os update. With a 9930 (legacy device) you will not get any or many updates or new features. I have used BlackBerry devices for a long time and I really think bb10 OS is so much better then the older OS. It's very fast, very easy to get around the OS but I will say it will take some time to get to know bb10 OS. Some get very frustrated but once you know how everything works you will love it. So if you go with the Q10 just be very patient on the beginning and read the "how to's" here at crackberry and also a good tip is to also watch vids on YouTube about the device. Good luck.

BlackBerry for life. Kick'n it with my Z10.
    07-27-13 01:29 PM
    Op: any updates ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    07-27-13 01:34 PM